HHN 22 Speculation

About the use of the characters in the Walking Dead: I was under the assumption that they weren't going to appear in the first place except for maybe a queue video. I kinda figured the way they would present the whole story would be that you are in the group following along or having to meet up with them or something along those lines. It's probably more for marketing and advertising than actual house use.

About the use of the characters in the Walking Dead: I was under the assumption that they weren't going to appear in the first place except for maybe a queue video. I kinda figured the way they would present the whole story would be that you are in the group following along or having to meet up with them or something along those lines. It's probably more for marketing and advertising than actual house use.

I agree, it has to do with marketing and advertising. I don't know what the real issue is but hopefully they get it taken care of soon. I do tend to believe that we haven't seen a website update due to this issue but expect one to come soon with the Silent Hill info.

What if Silent Hill was a backup plan for TWD and we're just getting a generic zombie house based on TWD instead of a house promoting the show? I don't really care either way, I know if there are zombies, an RV and a barn it's supposed to be TWD. The characters don't make or break it for me but I'll be much happier and I may geek out if I see Michonne and the pets.

• Like 1

Like has been stated in many posts previously; As much as we say the event would be lackluster without one thing or another, we will all have an amazing time. Losing TWD signature and having it become "Generic farm zombie house" would seem like a heavy loss but all in all I really don't think anyone on this forum is enough of a brand whore to say that it sucked simply because we *didn't* have the trademark characters or names.

• Like 1

Wow. If they scrap The Walking Dead and just give us a generic zombie house that would suck so bad.

Considering the house built, what would be the difference between a generic zombie house and a zombie house called The Walking Dead.

Zombies are zombies are zombies. It's not like it would be the actors playing any characters that may make it to the house.

• Like 5

Didn't they run into the same problems with Silver Screams in 09' with evil dead? They still kept it in even with the characters and just changed the name of the house to medieval dead. Loop holes can always work to your advantage.

I'm not sure, but I actually think it's not an issue of Universal being unable to use the characters. From my (somewhat limited) understanding of the situation, the issue is that Universal doesn't want to pay for the rights to the main characters while AMC does. AMC can charge more for "official character use" versus simple "name rights use" (The Walking Dead). I believe AMC is saying, "You pay for all or nothing," and Universal is responding, "We have no intention of using all, so why pay for it."

You have to remember, previous instances where Universal has "used" licensed properties without actually having the license, there was no official indication of what the license was. The "Evil Dead" room in Silver Scream was official "Medieval Dead." All of the rooms in the DIE-Ins were official labeled something else (Nightmare Man and Hockey-Mask Killer for Freddy and Jason). Universal having an "official Walking Dead house" would require them to label everything officially. That will be complicated if Universal wants to save money and just use zombies.

How it plays out remains to be seen, but the situation isn't as simple as "Universal can't use the characters." That's a (theoretically) easy fix.

I think it's funny that everyone rages against IPs...but now that we may lose one people are complaining about that.

Personally, my enjoyment of the designed house isn't going to change depending on the IP. If anything, if WD is dropped maybe we could get a cool story for the house or something.

The house is built more or less. taking out the writing on the door, the title of the house, or the names of the characters isn't going to affect the house negatively. If anything is will fee Universal up to make changes they would like to make.

• Like 2

I think it's funny that everyone rages against IPs...but now that we may lose one people are complaining about that.

This.

"NO! We want original stories and characters. We don't want to share anything with Hollywood. Let them do IPs."

"OMG!!!1!!!! SILENT HILL!!!1111!!!! THANK YOU UNIVERSAL!!!! YOU'RE BRILLIANT!!!!1!!!!!"

"No Walking Dead? BOOOOOO!!!!"

Next year, when it's five IP houses (and one of them is Silent Hill again), no one can complain. That will be what you asked for.

• Like 9

The complaining is ridiculous. We will still get the same excellent quality of set and scare actor with our without official IP rights or not. Both of these house themes are right in line with Universal's background and expertise. I hope they do have a house and scarezone matching. The siren and fog transition would be amazing and so fun to participate in and watch.

• Like 3

The complaining is ridiculous. We will still get the same excellent quality of set and scare actor with our without official IP rights or not. Both of these house themes are right in line with Universal's background and expertise. I hope they do have a house and scarezone matching. The siren and fog transition would be amazing and so fun to participate in and watch.

Agreed. Being a part of the otherworldly transition would definitely be one of the highlights for me.

All the complaining is just absurd. As several people have already stated, Universal continues to outdo themselves year after year with HHN, and there is no reason to believe that 2012 will be any different. Instead of dwelling on negative aspects that haven't even come to pass, why doesn't everybody try to think positive and have some fun

Someone asked last page, but where do we think the Silent Hill house will be held? I'm thinking it will be in a soundstage with the facade of the hospital where the house will begin. There may be a little bit of the surrounding town too, but I dunno.

It would be great too (if they can't pull off a scarezone) to have the siren effect at the entrance of the house. Everything kind of foggy and grayish with the bits of ash falling and then the sirens hit and the lights go darker and red (and a few characters come out of "hiding" to do some facade scares). It would have to go off every few minutes so enough people could experience it but I'm sure that siren would drive the actors nuts haha.

I've never once complained about IP houses. I actually like them a tad bit more than original houses. I didn't try to come off as whining. I'm just a huge fan of the TV series and would love for them to incorporate the characters into the house instead of just having generic zombies. That's all I meant by my post.

• Like 1

No one is going to go to HHN just to do the Silent Hill house.

What a waste of a house in a really disappointing year so far.

The site is essentially the same as it was last year at this time last year.On the 19th we had the update for The Thing house. There is the difference that last year we had the hand and the card as this is more of a splash screen. But neither had anything really revealed.

• Like 2

What a waste of a house in a really disappointing year so far.

I'm just going to assume you've never played one of the games.

And a "really disappointing year so far"? really? We know one house out of 7 and it's a really disappointing year already?

• Like 2

We know one house out of 7 and it's a really disappointing year already?

Technically... you could say we know two out of the 7, but that is a completely different story.

No one is going to go to HHN just to do the Silent Hill house.

^this makes me laugh because back when The Vault was around, videogames were always the one thing 75% of the members wanted to see brought to life at HHN. And Silent Hill was definitely at the top of the list. Thank you for providing us with lulz.

• Like 6

I would love to see Michonne and the two zombie "pets" in the house. That would be such an awesome scareactor combination.

This would actually be a good way to get around her specific, copyrighted character details; the two "pets" (her husband and husband's best friend) are armless and jawless in the comic. Two normal scare-actors on leashes, combined with her hood covering her hair and face, maybe change the katana replica to a different type of sword or a scythe, and that's far enough away to be a knock-off, in my opinion. It’d work great in a Scare Zone especially.