HHN Hollywood 2012 Speculation

I really dont mind if they return as long as they change the maze like they are doing with Alice Cooper. I would like to see mazes like TCM Friday the 13 Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream return as long as they change the entire maze and maybe even the location. But the Llorona returning thats just a fail even if they change the maze.

Everyone is talking like La Llorona is definitely happening. There's no chance that it could be "the Exorcist" or even anything else related in the Dick Smith or Suffer Little Children category? Of course I didn't want to believe Alice Cooper was returning either and now he is. I'm okay with that though. I just want more movie mazes. It's almost looking like we're just getting 1.

Edited by manbeast

Well, we have one repeated maze, a sequel maze, and a possible reboot maze. Then we have two more completely original mazes and an upscaled HoH which hopefully will be quite different. The Terror Tram may also be changed this year. I don't mind the sequel maze because Alice last year was amazing and I don't mind the reboot maze because I never went to the event when they had the TCM maze. John Murdy seems to really be focusing on fixing the event for this year and I trust he will. Whether that means this year will only be a transition period to a smoothed out and completely fixed year next year, I don't really mind. As long as this year steps up from the past two years...

I totally dissagree that WTMN was a "hodgepodge of random stuff". Although it wasn't laid out as a linear path through a tangible environment (like say, Crystal Lake or the Meyers or Sawyer house) it did have a logical flow and no less "story" than any of the other mazes. The whole intent was to create the feeling that you are traversing Stephen's nightmare. Nightmares (and all dreams for that matter) tend to be disjointed, illogical and jarring. It also had a certain amount of in-joke humor and fan service to people who are familiar with Alice's body of work, in exactly the same way that the movie based mazes have clever nods and references to the entire franchise that they respectively represent (even when a particular film in the cannon is used as the main basis). WTMN was very similar to the second Nightmare on Elm Street maze, which was basically a disjointed trip from nightmare to nightmare, recreating several iconic scenes from the original movie franchise. There was also a lot to enjoy in terms of the way Murdy used Alice's music to create a true cinematic soundtrack and the way he visually reimagined some of the more famous songs, blending them with classic Cooper stage gags. IMO WTMN was the second best maze last year and I am thoroughly stoked for this year's dose of the Coop - 3D or no! Stop hating on it just because it's not based on a played out slasher franchise or a gutless new school ghosty/demony flick. :)

The problem with the mazes is well yes it had one, and it had character who were nods to Alice's songs but if you were a GP who dont listen or know nothing about Alice cooper youd be confused from the start, and yes the whole nightmare disjointed thoughts thing is taken into consideration but, did even talk about Steven anywhere else but on twitter or the concept art, Im pretty sure alot people just thought it was Alice cooper in Pjs ripping of freddy, it was a good maze, top 3 for mr that year and as a non Coop fan who came out a coop fan my only problem was the story (since Uni is known to tell a story with their mazes) and I think DTH has a problem with 3D not the maze itself.

Everyone is talking like La Llorona is definitely happening. There's no chance that it could be "the Exorcist" or even anything else related in the Dick Smith or Suffer Little Children category? Of course I didn't want to believe Alice Cooper was returning either and now he is. I'm okay with that though. I just want more movie mazes. It's almost looking like we're just getting 1.

Cuz Murdy said he could'nt gets the right to the Exorcist.

If La Llorona doesn't return there will be one maze that is directed toward the Latino market, all of the parks are spin that now because they know it garners a big draw.

Also, I'm pro-Cooper this year as well. Last years maze was a blast. I loved the diversity in imagery, no other maze could have offered that kid of variation in mood, tone, color and overall theme. It was an epic ride and I'm very excited to see what new things Cooper and Murdy can cOme up with.

If La Llorona doesn't return there will be one maze that is directed toward the Latino market, all of the parks are spin that now because they know it garners a big draw.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. Yes they are a big draw, but that's not to say Universal will always have a Latino maze. Although, that would be a reason to bring back La Llorona this year, because of that market, but if La Llorona doesn't return, I wouldn't count on ANOTHER Latino based maze to replace it.

I am new to this forum and I have read all of the speculation for this years event. I must say that everyone is doing a great job at predicting the mazes this year. I have only been to HHN in Hollywood once and that was in 2010. My family is coming back to HHN in Hollywood. The one thing that stood out about Hollywood was the Terror Tram. I have been to Orlando HHN twice and nothing there really compares to walking through actual sets from the movies. Does anyone think that it is possible that the TT will go a different route this year? Does anyone think that TrT will be the theme for this years TT?

One more question: Did Legendary Truth have a house in Hollywood last year? I was disappointed that they did not do a house at HHN 21.

I totally dissagree that WTMN was a "hodgepodge of random stuff". Although it wasn't laid out as a linear path through a tangible environment (like say, Crystal Lake or the Meyers or Sawyer house) it did have a logical flow and no less "story" than any of the other mazes. The whole intent was to create the feeling that you are traversing Stephen's nightmare. Nightmares (and all dreams for that matter) tend to be disjointed, illogical and jarring. It also had a certain amount of in-joke humor and fan service to people who are familiar with Alice's body of work, in exactly the same way that the movie based mazes have clever nods and references to the entire franchise that they respectively represent (even when a particular film in the cannon is used as the main basis). WTMN was very similar to the second Nightmare on Elm Street maze, which was basically a disjointed trip from nightmare to nightmare, recreating several iconic scenes from the original movie franchise. There was also a lot to enjoy in terms of the way Murdy used Alice's music to create a true cinematic soundtrack and the way he visually reimagined some of the more famous songs, blending them with classic Cooper stage gags. IMO WTMN was the second best maze last year and I am thoroughly stoked for this year's dose of the Coop - 3D or no! Stop hating on it just because it's not based on a played out slasher franchise or a gutless new school ghosty/demony flick. :)

I don't like "nightmare" themed mazes. I'm more of a fan of story. I disliked the first two NOES mazes because they were just various set pieces. F13, although just a mishmash of greatest hits moments of the series, seemed to flow like a story so that didn't bug me. WTMN last year was no exception. Nightmares don't offer much story but offer horrific imagery. However, I guess I'm just that type of guy -- if I know what's going on, it becomes scarier. Nightmares in my own real life aren't even scary, they just bug the hell out of me because they make no sense. It's annoying and I never wake up in a cold sweat or screaming -- just pissed off that I got jipped out of that night's "sleeping entertainment." Goes to Hell seems like the same type of maze as WTMN where there's little transition. I suppose Hell in it's own way is nightmarish. That's one of the main reasons I'm not looking forward to it. That and the 3D. And because I'm not a huge fan of AC, even though I have heard his stuff. Which reminds me, gotta re-listen to GTH.

How is having the best maze of last year as the only repeat a fail?

Not the only repeat if we're talking themes. That'd be two repeat themes, three if we get TCM again.

^ It becomes a fail because there will be better mazes and having that maze again takes up space to make a new maze. The maze will not get as much popularity as last year.

I don't necessarily agree with this, maybe because I'm used to repeats because of Knotts but I agree in a way because it DOES become a shit stain in memory. Last year for example, could've been a MUCH better year if they replaced HOTC. Everyone said HOTC was the best maze of 2010 and I highly disagreed. Same thing with last year and WTMN being number 1 and in some fashion it's returning again. Kinda bogus... but understandable.

Come on DTH. This sounds like the arguments made last year. We know Alice Cooper was successful last year, people loved the maze. I doubt this will be any different this year. And trust me, the construction at T2 doesn't look anything like a Knott's maze. ;)

AC wasn't successful in my book, lmao. It was better than what I imagined but it still failed to be scary, which was my point when I initially lashed out at it. I kept saying AC is "hokey-PG-scary." In some ways, that's exactly what it was but I still had fun in it. However, this IS a brand new maze that seems to have darker themes so I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. However, because I'm giving it a chance doesn't necessarily mean I have to anticipate it highly.

I just hope the maze doesn't get painted in bright colors like Uncle Bobo's.

Ditto. AC last year was already fairly bright in comparison to the other mazes in SOME scenes. Apparently HOTC was bright enough to be filmed without nightvision and look spectacular in playback. It'll be a bright maze considering the bright lights and some bright scenery since they're using the same system AND the traditional 3D method. I just fear, as you said, brightly painted cheap looking walls.

There are chances it's The Exorcist, or even Poltergeist, or maybe 2 or 3 other movies, but it just seems like La Llorona is the most likely to happen. Around here, most likely to happen turns out usually to be what happens, sadly.

I am new to this forum and I have read all of the speculation for this years event. I must say that everyone is doing a great job at predicting the mazes this year. I have only been to HHN in Hollywood once and that was in 2010. My family is coming back to HHN in Hollywood. The one thing that stood out about Hollywood was the Terror Tram. I have been to Orlando HHN twice and nothing there really compares to walking through actual sets from the movies. Does anyone think that it is possible that the TT will go a different route this year? Does anyone think that TrT will be the theme for this years TT?

One more question: Did Legendary Truth have a house in Hollywood last year? I was disappointed that they did not do a house at HHN 21.

We somehow weed out the right answers to what the mazes will be! Amazingly, we've guessed 3 mazes this year so far. I think last year we guessed them all also. 2010 was our only crappy year in guessing since we all swore up and down "no repeats" was in effect. Only one we got right that year was HOTC. Glad you like the Terror Tram. I think it's truly special too. As for TrT on the Terror Tram, I doubt it, but I suppose it's possible. That'd be a crap load of fun. And no, there was no LT maze over here. We borrow VERY LITTLE from Orlando.

First of all, welcome to HNN!

Terror Tram used to be the highlight of the event, but unfortunately, it has become one of the low points of the event. I'm hearing that improvements are on the way for the Terror Tram so hopefully it will once again be one of the main highlights of the event, if not the main one this year. I wouldn't count on Trick 'r Treat coming to this year's event as well as the Terror Tram relocating. Trust me, Murdy has tried many times to do so, but to no avail as the studio always has other productions that want to film there.

And no, Legendary Truth had no part of the event last year. We're glad to see that you'll be coming this year as this is looking like it's going to be our best year yet.

• Like 1

Terror Tram used to be the highlight of the event, but unfortunately, it has become one of the low points of the event. I'm hearing that improvements are on the way for the Terror Tram so hopefully it will once again be one of the main highlights of the event, if not the main one this year. I wouldn't count on Trick 'r Treat coming to this year's event as well as the Terror Tram relocating. Trust me, Murdy has tried many times to do so, but to no avail as the studio always has other productions that want to film there.

How could it be the low point when in 2010, easily the TT's WORST YEAR among fans, Colorblind Guy went and said it was an incomparable experience in a positive way?! This is what I've been saying -- getting rid of the TT would be Universal's BIGGEST mistake. Us fans are just spoiled but for newbies, which HHN has THOUSANDS of a year, it's an awesome treat. This is also probably why the TT won't move to a new location for a long, long time. Not much else on the backlot is as iconic as the Whoville, Psycho and WotW sets. This is one of the many things Murdy has to deal with -- fan perspective and outsider perspective. Outsider perspective always wins. Fans are often a bit spoiled, even if we don't realize it.

If 2010 was the worst year for the TT, then I guess that TT can only get better. I am glad AC is returning just for the fact that I did not go to hollywood last year and i have heard it was pretty good. We have 3 houses announced. What is everyones take on the last 2? As for HOH, I think that house could be filled with scenes from multiple different properties because of 100th anniversary. I am thinking like HHN XX did when they put all of the past icons in one maze. Your thoughts?

OMG FREAK quit arguing about TT that is what makes HHNH different what is better than actually walking in the actual footsteps of Norman Bates being so close to the sets you can touch them! I also agree with DTH for us fans we are spoiled the new people have to have a chance to experience that! TT should stay if they fix it or not it is the soul of HHNH!

I disagree with DTH about Alice Cooper last year. I am not an Alice Cooper fan at all. Honestly, I couldn't even name a single song done by him last year. I'm still not a Cooper fan, nothing against the guy I'm just not too into music (I really hope the event doesn't branch out to any more musicians). That said, Welcome to my Nightmare was a blast. Probably one of the best times I've had in a maze. Was it scary? Not really, but the rest of the mazes were so it wasn't a problem. Our event has enough mazes to have one "fun" maze, and Cooper is that. I'm just going to enjoy it, personally.

As for the terror tram, you guys need to lay off Freak a bit. While the terror tram is indeed awesome and a one of a kind experience that should always be there, it refuses to innovate. It used to be mind-blowing, and probably still is for people first coming to the event, but they NEED to at least try enhance it. The terror tram is the only attraction with the possibility for long-form storytelling. Much like DTH, I love it when I can feel like I'm part of a story in a maze. It's why I love movie themed houses. The terror tram is perfect for telling some kind of story, but its failed to do it pretty much every year.

My money is on TCM and La Llorna. I'm sad that Walking Dead won't be on TT just because the tram lends itself more to immersive things. I could see them doing classic horror in HoH simply because it has been on the surveys for the past few years.

My contribution to the ramblings (speculation to continue):

I think the more we engage in the "Terror Tram is good, no it needs to go, un uh just tweak it" discussion or the House of Horrors "Has Ruined My Life" banter, the less we see the acheivements of the pinnacle of Horror events. This year is already shaping up to be a banner year with an awesome lineup and great mix of properties, including a revamped HOH. Add in two more properties yet to be mentioned and possible alterations to Terror Tram, it looks like this year will continue its success with pleasing the masses. Hollywood's formula for scaring seems to be the trend for all other haunts to follow. This will be my fourth year attending, and my anitcipation for attending is just as high as my first! Where am I going with this?.....well, um, I guess I will just use my normal catch phrase...."I got nuthin".

I am just looking forward to the event and wish for October to be here...now!! Back to specualtion.....

TCM, Exorcist, Trick R Treat (Terror Tram), La Llorona. Do you think Universal will in some way want to "advertise" its follow up to Wolfman at HHN, called Werewolf: The Beast Among Us? Straight to video in October.

Edited by AsylumSB
  • Like 1

There is actually, a better, more insider reason while there will always be a terror tram. Something to do with park capacity.

Although that very well is a good plus, I have to believe there is some artistic reason to keep it open.

If 2010 was the worst year for the TT, then I guess that TT can only get better. I am glad AC is returning just for the fact that I did not go to hollywood last year and i have heard it was pretty good. We have 3 houses announced. What is everyones take on the last 2? As for HOH, I think that house could be filled with scenes from multiple different properties because of 100th anniversary. I am thinking like HHN XX did when they put all of the past icons in one maze. Your thoughts?

I think everyone was fairly ecstatic for SH and WD. Seems to be some mixed reactions for Alice Cooper. Maybe not so much the maze but definitely for a returning theme.

OMG FREAK quit arguing about TT that is what makes HHNH different what is better than actually walking in the actual footsteps of Norman Bates being so close to the sets you can touch them! I also agree with DTH for us fans we are spoiled the new people have to have a chance to experience that! TT should stay if they fix it or not it is the soul of HHNH!

Calm down, lmao Freak will spank you.

As for the terror tram, you guys need to lay off Freak a bit. While the terror tram is indeed awesome and a one of a kind experience that should always be there, it refuses to innovate. It used to be mind-blowing, and probably still is for people first coming to the event, but they NEED to at least try enhance it. The terror tram is the only attraction with the possibility for long-form storytelling. Much like DTH, I love it when I can feel like I'm part of a story in a maze. It's why I love movie themed houses. The terror tram is perfect for telling some kind of story, but its failed to do it pretty much every year.

Actually, the Terror Tram has been consistent with telling a story but where you're right on that notion, and what I think everyone is complaining about, is the execution of the story. For example, last year's Terror Tram had major potential but failed because the story that was built up in the video never came to fruition on the actual path. Chucky had a story but failed when they threw random crap in the mix for no reason, like La Llorona. Well, that's only ONE of the weak points of 2010's TT but it was a major element.

I am just looking forward to the event and wish for October to be here...now!! Back to specualtion.....

TCM, Exorcist, Trick R Treat (Terror Tram), La Llorona. Do you think Universal will in some way want to "advertise" its follow up to Wolfman at HHN, called Werewolf: The Beast Among Us? Straight to video in October.

That's coming out THIS October? Wow, they filmed that fast. Anyway, I'm sure they'll advertise it. Every year they advertise SOME movie, whether it's their own or someone else's on the Terror Tram. As for a follow up maze... I highly... highly... doubt it.

Couldn't The Smiths be poltergeist? "Suffer little children" could mean carol anne suffering by being sucked into the other realm? I don't think its been mentioned here

It's been mentioned but got thrown out the window when we were all positive the director behind Quigley is Tobe Hooper. Would just seem odd to have two mazes based on Hooper's films. Although there is some spec that leads Poltergeist to be Quigley also. TCM just seems more likely.

Actually, the Terror Tram has been consistent with telling a story but where you're right on that notion, and what I think everyone is complaining about, is the execution of the story. For example, last year's Terror Tram had major potential but failed because the story that was built up in the video never came to fruition on the actual path. Chucky had a story but failed when they threw random crap in the mix for no reason, like La Llorona. Well, that's only ONE of the weak points of 2010's TT but it was a major element.

That's coming out THIS October? Wow, they filmed that fast. Anyway, I'm sure they'll advertise it. Every year they advertise SOME movie, whether it's their own or someone else's on the Terror Tram. As for a follow up maze... I highly... highly... doubt it.

It seems like Universal sent out press releases for "Werewolf" to many trade and entertainment outlets to try to push awareness for its release in a few months. Not very receptive according to many comments on various sites. Regarding Terror Tram, I am hoping to attend HHN on a night that the ride does not close early; it seems the attraction was more log jammed last year than previous years.

Couldn't The Smiths be poltergeist? "Suffer little children" could mean carol anne suffering by being sucked into the other realm? I don't think its been mentioned here

It's been mentioned quite a lot actually. But we don't believe The Smiths will be poltergeist.

^So based on that, Poltergeist has a 55% chance of showing up. 00nightcrawler, looks like you might get your wish, lol.

For some reason, I'm wondering if Quigley might be something we haven't thought of yet. I don't know why, but I just have that feeling. I had the same feeling with the Alice Cooper maze, and no Original Rob Zombie maze this year or Rob Zombie at all, so maybe my "feelings" are more than that...

P.S Not claiming to be in the know, just my logic has been working this year. And yes, it HASN'T been confirmed no Rob Zombie maze, but we are almost 100% sure there will be no Rob Zombie this year.

• Like 1