HHN Hollywood 2012 Speculation

So what do we have left? 2 mazes, some scare-zones and a terror tram or am I off? Any chance of another maze coming that's being kept a secret?

3 mazes counting the HOH overlay

Mummy Queue-Welcome To Silent Hill

WWW Venue-The Walking Dead

T2 Queue- Alice Cooper Goes To Hell 3D

Jurassic Park Queue-???

Shrek Queue-???

Terror Tram-???

I do have to agree that I am not a huge fan of the 3D gimmick. I tend to think that it ran it's course sometime back in the late 90s and actually tends to become a crutch for lazy set design with a lot of dayglow paint slapped around.

3D haunts actually didn't really start until 2000. Thats the first year that Knott's did Carnival of Carnivorous Clowns, and as far as I know, they were one of the first, if not the first, places to use chromadepth 3D in a haunted attraction.

3D haunts actually didn't really start until 2000. Thats the first year that Knott's did Carnival of Carnivorous Clowns, and as far as I know, they were one of the first, if not the first, places to use chromadepth 3D in a haunted attraction.

You're right. I believe Knott's was the first to use Chromadepth 3D. The problem isn't that it's old, it's that it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO Over used. And it really puts the designers in a box in terms of design. Not a lot of themes can be translated to 3D, so we were stuck with Clowns, Fairy Tales and other mazes like this that bored the hell out of us for years. That's why I'm tired of 3D. I still wear the glasses, but I prefer non 3D mazes. But Alice Cooper kind of interests me as being 3D. John said WTMN was supposed to be the 3D attraction last year to replace HOTC but management decided to keep HOTC another year. So, I can see 3D working with Alice.

This year will determine for me whether I want the Terror Tram to stay or not. If they can't make it just even slightly better than last year's mess, then I say it needs to go.

Freak, despite our feelings for the Terror Tram, it will ALWAYS stay. It is the STAPLE of the event and what makes it unique. Even if I hate it this year, I'd be rather pissed they didn't even try next year. Terror Tram is what brings in people all over the world so they can walk on the sets. We always have the option to not do it but they need to keep Terror Tram. Now that I think about it, it's the one thing that's stayed consistent every year and suggests history for the event since post-hiatus, which is what I've been wanting but I was too blind to see it's been there! It's different from a maze location because this actually expands in many different ways. I can tell others that in the past, the path used to go certain ways and different properties used to take over certain places. That's the joy of history! I mean, sure it can move somewhere else, but I wanna be able to take someone on the regular Studio Tour sometime before or after who has never been and say "this is where Terror Tram USED to be!"

So what do we have left? 2 mazes, some scare-zones and a terror tram or am I off? Any chance of another maze coming that's being kept a secret?

Doubt there will be a 7th maze... but I could be wrong...

Color me stoked for the new Alice maze! And I am not sure why poeple are griping about the possible (probable, even) return of La Llorona. That was easily the best maze last year. I know repeats are kind of a bummer for those of us that go like, 10 times per year but for the casual fan, HHN enthusiast coming from out of town/state, or even the hardcore nerds like me that still can only manage to make it to the event once a season, repeats are actually pretty great. We should honestly just be glad that Uni doesn't run things like Knotts - repeating mazes for an average of like, 5 years. I am personally excited for another chance to take in all the horrific details of the La Llorona maze.

I was for La Llorona returning until I heard Alice was coming back and now the possibility of TCM being thrown in the mix. It's the returning themes that bugs most loyal-goers. It'd be nice if La Llorona had a brand new maze but it's still a returning theme... or the same thing that's scaring you. I think the point is we want NEW creatures of the night to attack us. But however, La Llorona WAS the best maze last year by FAR so it could be worse. Could be Hostel returning.

So two houses are lest as well as all of the scarezones and the Terror Tram. I'm pretty confident "The Smiths" will be La Llorona again. If that's the case, I'm hoping they replace the graveyard, tomb, and house scenes for new ones. That way those who haven't gotten the chance to see it can see it gain this year while there are some new scenes for the returning people. Everybody wins.

Quigley looks like it could be TCM. It would be nice in my book, but in my eyes, it would be nice to see something more epic like an original concept (Which we know won't happen) or Insidious....but I digress.

The graveyard was great! You kinda need that or the tomb to tell the story correctly so I suggest the graveyard. I think getting rid of all those statue scares in the beginning would be great. That's the only part I thought could be improved. I'd keep the church scene, graveyard and river. Those were CLASSIC in my opinion. Everything else could or should change, as those are the parts IMPORTANT parts crucial to the story while everything else was like "the many interpretations of La Llorona" like the horse head, pigs and all that other stuff. I'd also say have La Llorona eating somebody again... that was fuckin' awesome... but if they decided to have a new ending that was just as terrifying, I'd be okay with that too.

Two original mazes and a House of Horrors is enough as well! There should at least be 3 major property mazes. After all, there's still people who say "no Freddy, no Jason? NO GO!"

^Did John say if Quigley was a property or is there still a possibility of an original concept?

Property. A MOVIE in fact. One directed by someone he took on a maze tour in 09 or 10, I can't remember which year. Just know it wasn't last year.

Oh, too bad, I guess the only original mazes this year, again will be AC and La Llorona. Well, I guess that's still good.

Like I said to Freak, 2 and a House of Horrors. Gotta have room for at least 3 major properties. Even if one is the Terror Tram, that's still fine, as long as there's at least THREE.

Am I wrong or is there no clues for HoH or TT? It seems like we've all pretty much got nothing for those two. Sorry I'm a bit behind.

No clues or hints whatsoever. No codenames to give us guesses. Scream 4 Your Life had no code name last year either but somehow we guessed it anyway... lol

Definitely first. It was a BIG deal back than. I remember in 2001 - 2003 EVERYONE having a 3D maze. EVERYONE.

But Alice Cooper kind of interests me as being 3D. John said WTMN was supposed to be the 3D attraction last year to replace HOTC but management decided to keep HOTC another year. So, I can see 3D working with Alice.

I think the idea last year could've worked in 3D. I remember a lot of the lights were LED lights and thinking it looked like it was intended for 3D usage in many scenes. Last year's maze reminded me alot of 3D mazes... not so much scary but still a lot of "horror fun." Which is kinda what HOTC was for me -- I didn't get many scares in that one. Hopefully this year they try to be a bit more gritty and terrifying while also using the 3D. One advantage is the rooms are well lit and we can see them better on Youtube without the nightvision! :-D

And it'll probably be the weird lighting based 3D he used for House, which is at least a little different.

Definitely. I believe Murdy said he's not interested in doing the typical 3D type maze. The lighting thing doesn't work for me and is more blur-vision. I'll go through the house once with the glasses on, just to see the intended effect but if it doesn't work, I'll go sans-3D the next time like I did for HOTC and I actually preferred it without the glasses. I could focus on stuff and the details much more. But if HOTC is any indication, they have much more ways to go before perfecting this new method and I give them props for at least trying something groundbreaking.

I don't believe that Knott's was technically the first to use Chromadepth 3D in a haunted maze. The first time I ever encountered the effect was in GYRO's World of Terror (a once-popular Northern California haunt) in Sacramento in 1997. The Wikiepdia also confirms that it was being used in the late 90s: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromadepth. My point was that it was initially a "cool" effect but wore out it's welcome very quickly (with me - evidently not with the GP). IMO it's limiting and decreases the realism and detail in set design that relies too heavily upon it, not to mention the fact that all mazes are actual physical spaces and therefore 3D to begin with (duh). Now what would actually be cool is implementing actual 3D projections into mazes - similar to the way they do it in rides these days (like Transformers or Harry Potter). THAT would be amazing.

I know! I know! This is not really speculation! But let me speculatively hope that Murdy keeps the "3D" mazes to a minimum at HHN and keeps the "3D" to a reasonable level within the Alice maze.

On to more thread-relevant musings - it seems like La Llorona is a sure thing coming back (and a reworking of some of the rooms/scares would be a welcome compromise) and although the original TCM is maybe my favorite horror movie of all time, I feel like another TCM maze would be slightly underwhelming. Even though the old mazes were technically based on the remake series, they still included many nods and references to the original (Leatherface lurking behind the slaughterhouse style kitchen door with a sledge, the infamous dinner table scene, etc) and I always saw them (no pun intended, hehe) as a sort of tribute to the entire cannon (much like the Halloween maze). I also can;t get all that excited about a Poltergeist maze. I know, you all probably want to throw shit at me now but it's not really in line with the traditionally adult nature of the films portrayed at HHN. Plus, I just don't really see if making for a killer maze. All that said, I have full faith in Murdy to make pretty much any property into a kickass intense maze experience. He hasn't dissappointed me so far (withthe possible exception of the thoroughly underwhelming My Bloody Valentine maze).

Oh my gosh!

It also appears that orlando and hollywood are getting 2 different cooper mazes.

Orlando: wtmn

hollywood: alice cooper goes to hell 3d

Edited by Grindhousehero13
Video has been posted in another thread

Hopefully this means that they are shipping all of the Hollywood WTMN sets, props and such to Orlando and therefore we won't be seeing any of them repurposed in the new Alice maze (or any other maze for that matter)! :D

Actually, after typing that last post it occurs to me that it seems like an obvious (and pretty solid) idea to "swap" some mazes between the two parks. Not sure what it costs to ship all that stuff from one coast to another but it has to be cheaper than building all new stuff right? That way they can ostensibly use repeats but not at the same park AND Orlando would get some of the great Hollywood mazes and vice versa! I dunno. Maybe I'm crazy.

Oh my gosh!

It also appears that orlando and hollywood are getting 2 different cooper mazes.

Orlando: wtmn

hollywood: alice cooper goes to hell 3d

welcome To HNN from the HNN team sorry had to remove the video since it has been posted already in the Alice thread.

Anyone else think they are getting a carbon copy of WTMN or that Murdy might of helped them with it?

^Murdy might have helped them. Hell he announced it for both parks and at the beginning of the video he didn't say Creative Director of Universal Studios Hollywood, he just said for Halloween Horror Nights. So, maybe he did help them with the design.

^Hopefully they'll change it enough to where it will feel different. So it's not 5 mazes plus HOH it's 6 mazes. I don't know. Considering they used to do the overlays in one night, a whole month to change it should be a good time to make it different. Especially if they pre-fab props and walls off site and then install it in August, they could have basically a brand new maze.

^Hopefully they'll change it enough to where it will feel different. So it's not 5 mazes plus HOH it's 6 mazes. I don't know. Considering they used to do the overlays in one night, a whole month to change it should be a good time to make it different. Especially if they pre-fab props and walls off site and then install it in August, they could have basically a brand new maze.

nice catch AOC!!

but this makes me wonder about HOH now Im little excited

Yes! This bodes well. Even though it's still enjoyable, the HoH is definitely the low point every year. Even the best overlays (Vampyre) are pretty bare bones at the end of the day, especially compared to the meticulously themed mazes in the rest of the park. I am excited to see what they're doing in there.

I do doubt, however, that it will be completely different. They haven't completely overhauled the maze since they rethemed it to Van Helsing from the Mummy and to do a complete retheme would take longer than two months. I do think there will be a significant upgrade from the slap-dash overlays of previous years.