HHN XXI Speculation II

I'm inclined to agree with Dr. Jimmy - his hypothesis simply seems to make more sense. While you can have overarching ideas as your theme (myths & legends, luck/fate) the general public likes a face. Lady Luck is our face. I look forward to the hype of her reveal, but I just pray her presence in the event isn't botched... Universal hasn't been able to truly nail it since 2007 with Jack's return.

2008: Bloody Mary

Rights: Elaborate website & back story, heavy marketing push, plenty of merchandise, cool presence throughout park with the projections & house cameos

Wrongs: Letdown of an icon house + no Mary in the street = disappointing payoff to the build-up

2009: The Usher

Rights: Elaborate website & back story, excellent icon house, great park presence via projections, front-gate scare zone & video, and appearance in Shadows of the Past

Wrongs: NO marketing push + NO event merchandise = minimal exposure to general public, a missed opportunity to truly establish another core icon

2010: FEAR

Rights: Cool "Warehouse EXXperience", solid scare zone, good media hype (Youtube-released videos), plenty of merchandise

Wrongs: Confused/poorly executed marketing push (Cloverfield approach isn't effective in this medium), minimal overall park presence (no more projections!), NO house appearance, lame site excluding the tardy EXXperience... all this = overall underwhelming/non-scary icon

Which brings us to...

2011: Lady Luck

Rights: Great website thus far (but her presence remains to be seen), heavy marketing push all but guaranteed, merchandise all but guaranteed

Wrongs: NO icon house (?) + minimal park presence = FEAR repeat?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my mind, the establishment of an icon is simple:

Is there a backstory?

Is the face centralized in print marketing (to include billboards)?

Can "experiencing" the character occur easily (in a house or a zone; both is not a requirement)?

Is the character unique to its immediate environment (like you can only see one Mickey at a time at Disney)?

Once you hit a no, it's no longer an icon.

Every icon, in some way shape or form, had a backstory.

Every icon, in some way shape or form, was featured on the print media and/or billboards.

Every icon, in some way shape or form, could be experienced in a zone or house.

Every icon, in some way shape or form, was unique to its immediate surroundings. The only "exemption" to this is when there are multiple individuals playing an icon in a house. But even then, they are unique to that house.

There's no need to justify specific years.

So far, Luck has none of these.

@Fallow Exactly :) I and alot of other people expect good things for our Icon this year ;) Last years Icon had good merchandise and advertising ( His name was every were!!) But... When peole got to the event they were like That's FEAR??

Edited by hhnFEARfan

In my mind, the establishment of an icon is simple:

Is there a backstory?

Is the face centralized in print marketing (to include billboards)?

Can "experiencing" the character occur easily (in a house or a zone; both is not a requirement)?

Is the character unique to its immediate environment (like you can only see one Mickey at a time at Disney)?

Once you hit a no, it's no longer an icon.

Every icon, in some way shape or form, had a backstory.

Every icon, in some way shape or form, was featured on the print media and/or billboards.

Every icon, in some way shape or form, could be experienced in a zone or house.

Every icon, in some way shape or form, was unique to its immediate surroundings. The only "exemption" to this is when there are multiple individuals playing an icon in a house. But even then, they are unique to that house.

There's no need to justify specific years.

So far, Luck has none of these.

By your definition neither The Storyteller nor The Usher were ever Icons.

The Storyteller has never had a backstory, we merely know her name is Elsa Strict.

The Usher was not featured in print marketing unless you count the event brochures and was not on billboards.

But also, by this definition The Mummy was an Icon in 1999!

He had an elaborate backstory as seen the the films.

His face was centralized in all print marketing to include billboards.

He was easily experienced in his house.

He was unique to his immediate surroundings.

I would hazard a guess that most of us long-term HHN fans do consider both The Storyteller and The Usher to be Icons, and they have also both been described as such by Universal A&D.

Most of us here do NOT consider The Mummy to be the Icon of 1999, including yourself as you stated in your earlier post no Icons from 1991 -1999.

So I suppose, by your own definition, Lady Luck may not be an "Icon" as far as you are concerned.

However, I expect she will be for the rest of us.

Anyway, there is no good reason to continue picking nits over what is or isn't an Icon. I think we and the General Public will enjoy Lady Luck this year regardless of whether we call her an "Icon", a "mascot" or a "cougar".

I agree with a lot of you that it would really suck to have Lady Luck wasted the same way they wasted Fear last year. He really had a lot of potential to be a great icon, and rather than use him in more interesting ways he just was nothing more than a photo op. The story and intrigue was there, and then all we got was a photo opportunity. Bad execution of a great idea.

Hopefully there IS indeed an icon this year, as I still think the event needs an anchor to tie everything together. We all love the story behind HHN, and to drop the ball on that would be disappointing. I think they again have the chance to have a great icon this year. It's never a lack of creativity with the icons, but instead how they use them that's the issue.

I'm hoping for the best and hope we have an icon this year. Only time will tell though.

I'm inclined to agree with Dr. Jimmy - his hypothesis simply seems to make more sense. While you can have overarching ideas as your theme (myths & legends, luck/fate) the general public likes a face. Lady Luck is our face. I look forward to the hype of her reveal, but I just pray her presence in the event isn't botched... Universal hasn't been able to truly nail it since 2007 with Jack's return.

2008: Bloody Mary

Rights: Elaborate website & back story, heavy marketing push, plenty of merchandise, cool presence throughout park with the projections & house cameos

Wrongs: Letdown of an icon house + no Mary in the street = disappointing payoff to the build-up

2009: The Usher

Rights: Elaborate website & back story, excellent icon house, great park presence via projections, front-gate scare zone & video, and appearance in Shadows of the Past

Wrongs: NO marketing push + NO event merchandise = minimal exposure to general public, a missed opportunity to truly establish another core icon

2010: FEAR

Rights: Cool "Warehouse EXXperience", solid scare zone, good media hype (Youtube-released videos), plenty of merchandise

Wrongs: Confused/poorly executed marketing push (Cloverfield approach isn't effective in this medium), minimal overall park presence (no more projections!), NO house appearance, lame site excluding the tardy EXXperience... all this = overall underwhelming/non-scary icon

Which brings us to...

2011: Lady Luck

Rights: Great website thus far (but her presence remains to be seen), heavy marketing push all but guaranteed, merchandise all but guaranteed

Wrongs: NO icon house (?) + minimal park presence = FEAR repeat?

EXCELLENT Analysis of the past few icons. You hit the nail on the head, my friend!!! Bravo!

I am with the rest of you (except Legacy it seems) in hoping that Lady Luck is established as a true icon and face of the event. Is an icon necessary? No, as proven by 2004. Does it enhance the overall event though? Absolutely! It's something I look forward to every year (as I know many of us do). A new character with a new story always plusses the experience and I'm always excited to see what A&D will come up with next.

I'm hoping when the full site launches, we'll get a reveal of Lady Luck and she becomes the true face of HHN 21. If they keep her in the shadows until the event ala FEAR, then yes, it will be another missed opportunity.

32 days :D

Edited by Creeper06

But also, by this definition The Mummy was an Icon in 1999!

Then let's add the requirement that they be created specifically for the event.

The fact that the Usher was in print media fits.

The fact that the Storyteller had a name is a part of her backstory, but it also includes the fact that she is the one telling the story of Terra Cruentes. That is the crux of her existance and her backstory. Hell, even Fear had a "name:" Adaru.

If we're just going to say the "face" is the icon, without any other requirements, then Eyegore, the 04 Patient, the Mummy, the Pumpkin and the Red Skull might as well be icons also. We can also take away the hype of HHN 10 having their "First Icon," with a "defined backstory." If there's no barometer of requirement for what makes an icon different from a mascot or marketing theme, then they all are icons. And that makes Fear's Five much less significant.

It's irrelevant, though. We know Luck will be in the park. The people who complained about Bloody Mary not being in the streets might appreciate the potential there is for over-kill this year. People already aren't happy about a lack of a "true icon" house, or are guessing that she'll be in the cemetery. The story of that house remains to be seen though. All I know is that the game has already changed from what we know. It might just be best to sit back and accept what comes.

It might just be best to sit back and accept what comes.

Well said all now can we end the debate of mascot vs. Icon now?

We are going to have a character in the media who will also have some presence in the park... done.

Solid discussion everyone. We'll have to see just how Lady Luck manifests herself.

Moving on in speculation - we have our scare zone locations (except for the vague "Lucy") - why are Plaza of the Stars & Mel's Die-In excluded? The latter very well might be making way for a show, but Plaza of the Stars is literally the first thing you see walking into the park. There's going to be quite a strange void there if there truly is no scare zone...

This was just posted to Twitter!

If you look closely, it says it's the facade for Soundstage 22

NICE. I think one of the main things that catches my attention is the silhouette of a woman in a dress near the archway. Possibly our dear Lady Hawthorn?

Also, there's a stylized "R&R" on the doorway. Has me thinking.

Edited by JWFearman

Also, there's a stylized "R&R" on the doorway. Has me thinking.

The R&R is for Reverse and Repeat. If you notice, only half of the facade is detailed on the drawing... it's a mirror image of itself. R&R is just drafting shorthand used when creating symmetrical objects.

The convention of reverse and repeat (R&R) is frequently used when drawing detailed symmetrical objects. Also known as "opposite hand" and "mirror view" drawings, the practice of R&R is used as a form of drafting shorthand. Typically, the drawing is oriented on the object's center line, one side of which is drawn in full detail, while the opposite side is outlined with a long dashed line and noted "R&R THIS SIDE"

Guest HHNPicMan

Solid discussion everyone. We'll have to see just how Lady Luck manifests herself.

Moving on in speculation - we have our scare zone locations (except for the vague "Lucy") - why are Plaza of the Stars & Mel's Die-In excluded? The latter very well might be making way for a show, but Plaza of the Stars is literally the first thing you see walking into the park. There's going to be quite a strange void there if there truly is no scare zone...

Just so everyone knows, I think we are lacking a scarezone in Plaza of the Starss this year for one reason only. That is, the new "Despicable Me" ride that will be taking over the old Jimmy Neutron building. I noticed today that they had placed a wall all the way out to the street. Thus, one can deduce that a scarezone placed in the street immediately outside the work area would cause a delay in renovation to the building. In case, people do not know, the building is already undergoing exterior painting. The old Jimmy Neutron logos and murals have been removed and are being replaced with the new "Despicable Me."

Thus, I feel like this is simply a logical explanation for why we will not have a scarezone in Plaza of the Stars. The new ride opens sometime next year.

Sorry for this not being exactly speculation, I thought it was just interesting to share so everyone would know why we possibly are not seeing a scarezone in Plaza of the Stars.

Stupid new game... glitchy.. cost 2K just because randomly it told me I was cheating... and then the first time I won... conveniently freezes ARGH!!!!

Anyway... notice two very prominent things. A copter and a pool table.

So... now what? We have all 8 tokens, and what seems to be a complete House, but no resolution...

8 Half Poker Chips.

If what most people agree on is going to happen, then the other half of the poker chips will be represented by the 6 scarezones and 2 shows. wink.gif

So... now what? We have all 8 tokens, and what seems to be a complete House, but no resolution...

Well, we still only have half of each chip. That still leaves things open for a few more updates. I personally think that we'll be able to fill those in after the big website update, but who knows?

Also, to chime in on the icon discussion, I genuinely hope that Lady Luck does show herself in some way or another. If she doesn't, or has a minimal presence, then this year certainly could fall victim to the same faults that plagued HHNXX.

Also, the House is far from complete. Several sections are still missing.

The real question is, will we somehow be able to get the other half-tokens all at once within the next week, prior to the big reveal? Or is this something to keep us occupied throughout September?

Hey guys. It's been a while for me on here. Dig the new look. I see a lot of speculation going on here :) Im just wondering if anybody could fill me in on what has been goin on in the world of HHN. I've been working both of my jobs like a dog, hardly any days off 7 days straight, so you could imagine I haven't had much time for a social life or any leisure activities, and 80+ pages is a lot to go through. Could anyone let me know whats confirmed or what we think might be right? Do we for sure have an icon and what some of the houses will be? I appreciate whoever is brave enough to answer.

Hey guys. It's been a while for me on here. Dig the new look. I see a lot of speculation going on here :) Im just wondering if anybody could fill me in on what has been goin on in the world of HHN. I've been working both of my jobs like a dog, hardly any days off 7 days straight, so you could imagine I haven't had much time for a social life or any leisure activities, and 80+ pages is a lot to go through. Could anyone let me know whats confirmed or what we think might be right? Do we for sure have an icon and what some of the houses will be? I appreciate whoever is brave enough to answer.

It quickly got lost in the sauce... so here it is again

Parade - Columbus/shipwreck house, relates to the loose cannon game, and also relates to the Orange card.

Sprung 1 - Demon House, relates to Certain Rune game, and also relates to green card.

Sprung 2 - Poe house, relates to the the don't judge a book game, and the dark blue card

Jaws queue - Saws and Steam, relates to the machine game, and the red card.

Disaster queue - TV/Late Night Horror/holidays house, relates to the channel surfing game, and the Sienna colored card.

SS 22 - Deals with the cemetery/Lady Hawthorne house, the key game, and the light blue card.

SS 23 - The Thing, game unknown, card unknown.

SS - 23 - relates to WWI house, most likely deals with vampire nurses, the incoming game, and the purple card

Nothing is officially confirmed for SZ details except some colorful characters in Hollywood, stilts in IFB, and the rat lady in NY.

So the general idea is that the other halves of the poker chips on the site will be for the 6 scarezones and 2 shows but I don't see any room on the tray for another 8 cards. How could they do it?

I'm figuring that they'll have a house/scarezone on one poker chip and you randomly get assigned which game to play -or- they'll introduce another tray/another room.