HHN XXI Speculation

Mark M.

The more I think about it, the more I don't think HHN will do an "Alone" house for at least a couple of more years. I think that, on a logistic-level, there would still be too much that can go wrong for Universal to want to risk it. Busch, in my and probably Universal management's way of thinking, has lower standards when compared to UO when it comes to how many people it can push through a house and its uptime. There is also the liability of complaints which, considering Universal's ownership in perpetual turmoil, is something that they have to consider. There will complaints by people who want to go through but don't want to pay. There will be complaints by people who try to go through and get too scared to finish. There will be complaints by people who pay to go through and don't find it scary. There will be at least one fight caused by a guest who gets touched (even though they're warned) who reacts. These are things Universal is going to way very carefully.

It might happen in the future, but don't expect the cost to be less than $40 prior, and probably $60 day of. Which will cause more complaints.

Then you have to pay more for scareactors who at greater risk for fewer scares.

Universal has an extreme house in its archives that it can always pull out and dust off. I'm certain they are going to wait and see in Busch is still doing Alone in three years before they attempt to jump into that fray.

(I am such a cynic when it comes to HHN...)

The more I think about it, the more I don't think HHN will do an "Alone" house for at least a couple of more years. I think that, on a logistic-level, there would still be too much that can go wrong for Universal to want to risk it. Busch, in my and probably Universal management's way of thinking, has lower standards when compared to UO when it comes to how many people it can push through a house and its uptime. There is also the liability of complaints which, considering Universal's ownership in perpetual turmoil, is something that they have to consider. There will complaints by people who want to go through but don't want to pay. There will be complaints by people who try to go through and get too scared to finish. There will be complaints by people who pay to go through and don't find it scary. There will be at least one fight caused by a guest who gets touched (even though they're warned) who reacts. These are things Universal is going to way very carefully.

It might happen in the future, but don't expect the cost to be less than $40 prior, and probably $60 day of. Which will cause more complaints.

Then you have to pay more for scareactors who at greater risk for fewer scares.

Universal has an extreme house in its archives that it can always pull out and dust off. I'm certain they are going to wait and see in Busch is still doing Alone in three years before they attempt to jump into that fray.

(I am such a cynic when it comes to HHN...)

Agreed. I think the complaints more than anything though. Universal has significantly more guests than Busch Gardens. If the house sells out, there are going to be a lot more people pissed off and making a scene over not being able to visit the house. I remember seeing problems at Busch Gardens last year while waiting in line for the house. I just think it would be way too much of a hassle for Universal to put forth the effort into getting a little extra cash. I'm hoping to be wrong, however. I'd love to see what Universal could pull off. I was probably the only one disappointed with the Alone house at BG.

Edited by Dick

Has house construction begun? We've been getting hints the past couple weeks of things happening!

Upon searching around today we came across this permit filed on 3/25/2011 that has a status of "Invoiced-Ready for Payment". Here are the interesting parts;

Project Name: BACALL / HAUNTED HOUSE

Case Description: Construction of a haunted house base / H18 & S18

permit32511.jpg

What could this mean? Does it mean anything? Are you getting excited?

Oh per HHN rumors... looks like BB will be back.

However later on in the post looks like he will NOT be back... or has not been asked back yet.

I hung out with him for a few hours at one of his shows down here in Fort Lauderdale, and he said at the moment he is still open for all of October and Universal has told him he can book shows during that time if he wants since they currently don't have plans to have him back. As a fan of Brian though I'd love to see him back at HHN.

...and now back to the speculation on the post above ^^ which I'm sure more people care about than what I just said.

I saw the earlier post on the building permit that said Bacall house. I did a Google search for Bacall and it showed results for an actress Lauren Bacall. Then I added "horror" to the search and it mentioned a movie called "The Fan." I've never seen this movie or even heard of the actress before now, but the general idea of the movie deals with a fan of an actress who becomes a stalker. I'm not saying this will have anything to do with HHN, but maybe the theme of this particular house would deal with someone or something that has an obsession with an object or individual that gets worse as time goes on.

Guest HHNPicMan

Has house construction begun? We've been getting hints the past couple weeks of things happening!

Upon searching around today we came across this permit filed on 3/25/2011 that has a status of "Invoiced-Ready for Payment". Here are the interesting parts;

Project Name: BACALL / HAUNTED HOUSE

Case Description: Construction of a haunted house base / H18 & S18

permit32511.jpg

What could this mean? Does it mean anything? Are you getting excited?

I can tell you some facts, if you would like! There has been no Sound Stage construction started as of yet. How do I know, well, I work / go to school in SS 25 and quite frankly, some filming just took place in 23, 23, & 24 this past week. Also, the Grad Bash metal detectors will continue to be staged in the sound stages, along with Mardi Gras floats on and off again. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble.

But, I can say from past experience that typically the tent houses are the first to be constructed. Many people don't believe this, but it is true.

In other news, I sure am excited about HHN and can't wait for auditions!!!

Agreed. I think the complaints more than anything though. Universal has significantly more guests than Busch Gardens. If the house sells out, there are going to be a lot more people pissed off and making a scene over not being able to visit the house. I remember seeing problems at Busch Gardens last year while waiting in line for the house. I just think it would be way too much of a hassle for Universal to put forth the effort into getting a little extra cash. I'm hoping to be wrong, however. I'd love to see what Universal could pull off. I was probably the only one disappointed with the Alone house at BG.

what kind of problems did you see at BG?

I think the most interesting thing about this is the "Haunted House Base" aspect of it. I know this might only be interesting to people who have seen the tent houses with the lights on, but it implies to me that at least one tent is getting a new floor. The two locations listed (S18 & H18) might imply both tents getting a new floor, which would mean that Tent 2 is getting a new layout!

I personally don't see a lot of information in the "BACALL" word. Could it imply a film noir type of house? I guess, but I still believe it's too early to get worked up over possible house themes.

Not to tee everybody off or anything, but I don't think you realize what that permit is actually FORE!!!

Further down on the form where this has been taken from it says: "Each individual project within this permit is associated with a new miniature golf course".

It isn't about HHN folks.

index.jpg

Edited by Dr. Jimmy

Thats a very general address...

they typically state something along the lines of:

1000 UNIVERSAL STUDIOS PZ 22.... 22 being SS 22

6000 is basically the front of the park if I'm not mistaken... and is used as a general address in many permits such as:

BLD2001-03734 6000 UNIVERSAL BLVD 280

ADDITION TO EXISTING MARGRITAVILLE-created case #Bld2001-05846 on 12/5/01 for Phase II

The familar building names are missing. I'm guessing this is just the preliminary permit...

The BCall, if anything relavant, would be code.. Nothing to do with Lauren Bcall.

Edit:

well there you have it... I posted befoe I saw the Doc post... knew it was too early... both for construction and my brain to function :P. Odd that it says Haunted house base. Maybe an indoor blacklight golf course? IDK I'm just speculating.

Anyway if you want to look at the permit it is here and the reference is here "Construction of a 187sq. ft. office building "

Edited by JWFearman

what kind of problems did you see at BG?

People pissed they couldn't go through the house. There was a couple of drunk guys yelling about it. Some tried to sneak in line, obviously they waited like 15 minutes to find out they couldn't go through which inevitably pissed them off for waiting. Just stuff like that.

So at the designer Forum they are auctioning off the icon pumpkins from last year... That just reasserts the new era of darkness. The full list of items isn't out yet, (and I can't wait to see everything) but when I saw that I thought those pumpkins are such a small thing, if they weren't serious they would probably keep them.

Edit:

Official Mad Cow Theater Facebook... HERE

So at the designer Forum they are auctioning off the icon pumpkins from last year... That just reasserts the new era of darkness. The full list of items isn't out yet, (and I can't wait to see everything) but when I saw that I thought those pumpkins are such a small thing, if they weren't serious they would probably keep them.

Edit:

Official Mad Cow Theater Facebook... HERE

The Frankenstein costume is mine I believe :)

It still says "New haunted house base". I'll believe it's a golf course when I see it.

Okay, if it does have anything to do with HHN, all it would be is a new floor (or "base") for the tents. However, considering the "location" listed is S18 & H18, two names that have never been associated with the Sprungs, we know it can't be the tents. It CAN however, be Scene 18 and Hole 18, implying that the 18th hole for this miniature golf course is themed after a "haunted house." That is much more believable than a random permit, in a group of permits for a golf course, that has no connections to what we know about HHN other than the words "Haunted House," to actually be for HHN.

"But what about 'Bacall'?"

Google "Bacall Golf" and you'll find out that the golf course attached to the Villages (an upscale retirement community in Central Florida) is, that's right, the Bacall Golf Course. So, someone with the development of this project probably has family who lives in the Villages, saw the title and picked it as a Code Name.

Am I allowed to excited about the fact that Universal is probably getting a miniature golf course? I think that's exciting.

Am I allowed to excited about the fact that Universal is probably getting a miniature golf course? I think that's exciting.

I do too, tho I would rather it be one of the indoor, blacklight versions. They're fun!

On the HHN side of things, since things are due to spin up here in the next few weeks, how 'new' does everyone think it will be? Honestly, do we really expect something groundbreakingly different?

I'm not really sure how I feel about that 'new era' business. We know that they've had a hugely successful run with the current formula and that they look at the numbers more than anything else; how much does that allow for much change? Not much, especially in the current economic climate. I wonder if we aren't working ourselves up over the prospect of something new and will be bitterly disappointed when it doesn't follow through, even more than last year with Fear.

Mae

I do too, tho I would rather it be one of the indoor, blacklight versions. They're fun!

On the HHN side of things, since things are due to spin up here in the next few weeks, how 'new' does everyone think it will be? Honestly, do we really expect something groundbreakingly different?

I'm not really sure how I feel about that 'new era' business. We know that they've had a hugely successful run with the current formula and that they look at the numbers more than anything else; how much does that allow for much change? Not much, especially in the current economic climate. I wonder if we aren't working ourselves up over the prospect of something new and will be bitterly disappointed when it doesn't follow through, even more than last year with Fear.

Mae

From a purely realistic perspective there isn't a whole lot Universal can do to make "new, ground-breaking" event. Every theme-park Halloween event across the nation is essentially the same thing: monsters in the streets and a haunted house. Short of adjusting the structure of the event to tell a story throughout the night (ala Terra Cruentes) it's going to be the same. That idea can be expounded upon to an insane degree, but the general public probably won't get it or care. All they care about are the monsters in the streets, a haunted house, and booze.

Now, what Universal can do to be "new and ground-breaking," is making an attempt to expand the types of houses and scarezones they have. Again, Catacombs, Havoc, Esquileto Muerto, and Saws and Steam hint at that. Catacombs was an historically/locationally accurate house (a first for the event). Havoc was a military house (a first for the event). Esquileto wasn't intended to be scary but mesmerizing (completely changing the tone at the front of the park). Saws and Steam took away the "kill everyone" motivation for the scareactors, and gave it a story of survival (risky, and shockingly poignant). They weren't monsters, just desperate. I really feel that is what the future of Horror Nights holds.

Don't expect the "New Era of Darkness" to bring about a new structure to the event, but more an attempt to have "darker" themes. Don't expect the joke houses or zones. And don't expect "human" icons for a while. That's what the future is probably going to hold.

EDIT- Edited to remove my kick-@$$ idea. You're not getting me to give up all my cards just yet...

Edited by Legacy

From a purely realistic perspective there isn't a whole lot Universal can do to make "new, ground-breaking" event. Every theme-park Halloween event across the nation is essentially the same thing: monsters in the streets and a haunted house. Short of adjusting the structure of the event to tell a story throughout the night (ala Terra Cruentes) it's going to be the same. That idea can be expounded upon to an insane degree, but the general public probably won't get it or care. All they care about are the monsters in the streets, a haunted house, and booze.

Now, what Universal can do to be "new and ground-breaking," is making an attempt to expand the types of houses and scarezones they have. Again, Catacombs, Havoc, Esquileto Muerto, and Saws and Steam hint at that. Catacombs was an historically/locationally accurate house (a first for the event). Havoc was a military house (a first for the event). Esquileto wasn't intended to be scary but mesmerizing (completely changing the tone at the front of the park). Saws and Steam took away the "kill everyone" motivation for the scareactors, and gave it a story of survival (risky, and shockingly poignant). They weren't monsters, just desperate. I really feel that is what the future of Horror Nights holds.

Don't expect the "New Era of Darkness" to bring about a new structure to the event, but more an attempt to have "darker" themes. Don't expect the joke houses or zones. And don't expect "human" icons for a while. That's what the future is probably going to hold.

EDIT- Edited to remove my kick-@$$ idea. You're not getting me to give up all my cards just yet...

I like your point of view, especially your observations of SnS. I guess my hopes are that we don't fall back on the 'mindless monsters' again. Yes, they are fun (and I'll be first in line for another Fred Krueger house any day you want), but the thought and deliberate provocativeness of last year's houses and zones were splendid. I don't know what the general public thought of them. though...is there any light to shed on that?

Still, structurally speaking, I could see them changing some things for future events that would be considered 'new era'-like; the possiblity of age requirements (and the enforcing thereof), a no alcohol night, extension of event dates...more than just the layout of the park or the subject matter of the offerings.

Mae