HHN XXI Speculation

Mark M.

As a recap:

Fear has many eyes and can see things underground - Don Quixote

Worry not about my identity. Gaze not into that abyss, as the abyss monitors the web. (twisting of Nietzsche)

Full circle. A new terror born in death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. (I am Legend)

Pity is for the living. Envy is for the dead. (Mark Twain)

A belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness. Joseph Conrad, Under Western Eyes

I don't know if all of these are a clue... perhaps they are.

He loves to quote books so some might just be him doing that...

Edited by JWFearman

Underground can also refer to illegitimate activities carried out by gangsters, criminals and other members of the underworld.

Or the London Subway system. This brings a certain scene from An American Werewolf in London to mind, although we do not anticipate any movie connections this year, the film is currently celebrating its 30th anniversary and a remake is in development.

Honestly, I really don't think that they're clues. Again. We have no frame of reference to fully decipher them, so if they were clues Emeric would be forcing us just grasp and I don't think he is true fan of that (although I might be presumptuous in that).

The chair scare was very cool & creative.However i heard it was a it was painful to wear & a pain in the but to wear. I dont see them doing the chair scare agian inless they can change the look of the chair.

Very painful indeed. ;)

To be honest, 3D houses sound way better than they really are. I've only been in one, which was Clown O Vision, but it was just bad. I felt like the glasses were just a waste of money. They just didn't do much for me. I think it'd be cool if they did a real Fun House type of theme. Complete with a slide, obstacles and moving floors!

Agreed! I've never been a fan of the 3D houses. I've been through many of them and just end up taking the glasses off anyways.

Honestly, I really don't think that they're clues. Again. We have no frame of reference to fully decipher them, so if they were clues Emeric would be forcing us just grasp and I don't think he is true fan of that (although I might be presumptuous in that).

Agreed. These just sound like random quotes to me. After all, he just said "the game has not yet begun." Does he ever indicate when the game has started?

Daniel

Agreed. These just sound like random quotes to me. After all, he just said "the game has not yet begun." Does he ever indicate when the game has started?

Daniel

Typically, "The Game" starts during May or June, as that when auditions are officially announced, permits are filed to begin construction, etc. A rumor will be released that can more compared to from multiple sources (multiple auditioners or employees, multiple websites for permits) will appear and that will "start" everything. Emeric will start "responding" to our speculation (like he did with his "Don't look into the Abyss" comment) on the boards themselves, not through Facebook or Twitter and we go from there.

Traditionally, Screamscape will have the first rumors, but HHNRumors might get it this year. Regardless, once one site gets it the rest will quickly follow suit agregating it.

For years (since '03) I've always started browsing for rumors in late May/early June. Reunion auditions are always in July, and there is always some idea of what is going on prior to that day.

Typically, "The Game" starts during May or June, as that when auditions are officially announced, permits are filed to begin construction, etc. A rumor will be released that can more compared to from multiple sources (multiple auditioners or employees, multiple websites for permits) will appear and that will "start" everything. Emeric will start "responding" to our speculation (like he did with his "Don't look into the Abyss" comment) on the boards themselves, not through Facebook or Twitter and we go from there.

Traditionally, Screamscape will have the first rumors, but HHNRumors might get it this year. Regardless, once one site gets it the rest will quickly follow suit agregating it.

For years (since '03) I've always started browsing for rumors in late May/early June. Reunion auditions are always in July, and there is always some idea of what is going on prior to that day.

I think your right

I hope they bring back victims this year. I love the death scenes!

you know, I really didn't miss having victims, I rather have the actors scaring me, I mean, last year, I dont think any of the houses could have been better by having victims in them, (Except Legendary Truth that was the only one that really needed victims or something)

I don't know, maybe a couple of houses could have them I mean, of course there will be times victims are obviously needed but I kinda like it victimless

Some houses are great without victims but also some are great with them. Screamhouse back in 2002 was awesome with victims as well as Body Collectors in 2005.

What victims in Screamhouse? The only "victim" of any sort was the autopsy body.

I hope victims return this year - or at the very least, the cinematic moments that were out in full force in the 2009 houses, mainly in the soundstages. Stuff like the Wolfman transformation, Frankenstein ripping the heart out of the Igor, all of the Body Collector kills from 08 - the cinematic moments are what sets HHN above other haunts because it looks and feels so real. Moreover, victims actually create a sense of danger - the thought that these creatures could hurt you. Body Collectors are creepy, sure, but you didn't REALLY fear them until you saw what they were willing to do to you. All of the houses last year lacked victims as well as cinematic moments - and it dampened the scare potential. Legendary Truth needed Spirit Seekers being murdered left and right, Hades is a place of torture and all we got was one room of dummies, Zombiegeddon could've used an infection room, a teacher death scene in the Orfanage would've been nice, etc.

Some houses are great without victims but also some are great with them. Screamhouse back in 2002 was awesome with victims as well as Body Collectors in 2005.

yeah I mean, some houses would have been impossible to make without victims, (especially movie houses, like saw...) but, speaking of Saw, I remember going in the house and some of the victim actors looked bored as hell, i remember one in particular looked pissed off, he was just standing there not doing anything both times i went to the house that day...

but, what I loved about the houses last year is that, since all the actors in the houses were out to scare you, it makes you more of a target in a way,

although I have to accept there have been some pretty amazing actors as victims, like, they really look in pain.

Some houses really need victims, I think Legendary truth house could have had a couple, I guess it really depends, but, is more fun when the actors are out to get you,

Edited by black mask

the best "victim" role I ever remember was in Texas Chainsaw Massacre; it was the girl that ran out in the kitchen scene and Leatherface snatched her up and dragged her down the hall. Visually, it was one of the scariest things I remember from that year.

That being said, it's hard playing a victim. Sitting there all night screaming in pain gets REALLY repetitive and boring, I'd imagine. Like spinegirl - you really can't do much but say "please, help me!" a thousand times. It adds a certain ambience to some houses, Leave it to Cleaver for example, but I don't think it should be used in al houses. I don't think there was a house last year that really needed any victim scenes, aside from spinegirl. I like to think as the guests as the victims.

the best "victim" role I ever remember was in Texas Chainsaw Massacre; it was the girl that ran out in the kitchen scene and Leatherface snatched her up and dragged her down the hall. Visually, it was one of the scariest things I remember from that year.

I agree! It freaked out one of my friends pretty good lol.

That being said, it's hard playing a victim. Sitting there all night screaming in pain gets REALLY repetitive and boring, I'd imagine. Like spinegirl - you really can't do much but say "please, help me!" a thousand times. It adds a certain ambience to some houses, Leave it to Cleaver for example, but I don't think it should be used in al houses. I don't think there was a house last year that really needed any victim scenes, aside from spinegirl. I like to think as the guests as the victims.

the Texas chainsaw girl was so believable that my friend thought she really needed help lol, the scare was worst when leatherface pulled her in,

and, yeah is cool to read your post about being a victim, I would imagine is hard to play one,

1) I was one of the people that really DESPISED that house in 07. Crap theming, no scares AT ALL(for me at least), a horrible house. I would give it another chance, but if i were UO, i would put in in the parade building. I think it be the most sucessful in either that or one of the tents. it's small and dark(past 7 at least) and would work very nice for THING, if they dont make another crappy house again.

2) i for one LOVED B&T this year. have they done better, probably. i only see it once evey year, so i dont remember everything after a few months. the new writers might make it the funniest B&T's ever, or the crappiest. time will tell.

3) I would absolutely LOVE catacombs to return. its the second best house ever made at HHN, IMO(besides NOES:DW). they could also bring Sindy back, since she's directly involved with death. Though i would be scared to bring them back in case they make it a crappy sequel(BC), plus they should personify death like they did fear instead of the grim reaper.

SOLO house? deatails!!!

Sorry for the delay in my reply. SOLO meaning 1 patron at a time or at least a small group. Similar to what Busch Gardens attempted. They had some ideas of multiple entry points for a group of 5 and having them come in and intercept each other and be "chased/scared" through the rest of the house. The problem was exactly what happened at Busch Gardens...HUGE lines and very few people (relative to general attendance) got to go through. I'm not sure if they will pursue the idea again this year...they would have to devise a way to control the queueing (line length) and the pacing. But know they are always considering things like that.

^ I feel like to do a solo/upcharge house the way to go would be times printed on your advance ticket. If you miss your time then you wait in line and get in when someone else misses their time or they could have a break in the times on the tickets specifically for people who walk up to purchase or miss their time.