The Coven

Mark M.

You know aside from the one pilgrim with a sense of humor, there wasn't much about this zone that really speaks to me. As I went on past, most of the witches and hags didn't even walk near me, let alone try and scare me. It just felt like a very empty space without much going on.

This was a very spooky scarezone, very dark and foggy. I really liked the costumes, particularly on the Sirens. Like Esqueleto, do not underestimate its scariness - I came through... I think it was Friday or Saturday night, and two or three scareactors made a girl fall right on her butt. It was hilarious, everyone that saw it was cracking up.

This scarezones was one of my least favorite scarezones this year, simply based off of my own experiences in it. However, the theming and atmosphere of it was incredible. I love walking through a spooky area, and this one was just that. I didn't get many scares, and the actors didn't really seem to be trying to get anyone's attention, but it had a lot of potential.

I did get one good jump out of this zone, and that was from the pilgrim on the side closer to Mel's. On my first time through I didn't realize that they were able to move away from the pole, and one leaned forward and yelled at me. I was expecting them to only be used for distraction.

The Shrek Alley scarezones just seem to suffer a bit from their location. It's one area that you never really have to walk through. The only way you ever really end up there is if you intentionally want to walk through the scarezone.

This scarezones was one of my least favorite scarezones this year, simply based off of my own experiences in it. However, the theming and atmosphere of it was incredible. I love walking through a spooky area, and this one was just that. I didn't get many scares, and the actors didn't really seem to be trying to get anyone's attention, but it had a lot of potential.

I did get one good jump out of this zone, and that was from the pilgrim on the side closer to Mel's. On my first time through I didn't realize that they were able to move away from the pole, and one leaned forward and yelled at me. I was expecting them to only be used for distraction.

The Shrek Alley scarezones just seem to suffer a bit from their location. It's one area that you never really have to walk through. The only way you ever really end up there is if you intentionally want to walk through the scarezone.

My first night, I didn't even realize there was a scarezone there. I had to experience it the second night I came through. I knew that I was missing one somewhere, but couldn't quite pinpoint it, until I was home looking at my map. DOH. It's pretty spooky, and one of the shrieking hags got me, but it's definitely at the bottom of my list this year just because the witches are mostly just walking around....I dunno, could be a lot better.

Last Sunday I asked a witch girl to please let me take a pic with her, and the whole time I was next to her she kept whispering to me, But I couldn't understand anything she whispered,

like she was casting a spell :) I thought that was a great touch, I kept wondering all night what was she saying,

I am also glad that the victim pilgrims were not there, I like it better without them,

A good scarezone, wish there was more reaction from the guys getting burned alive. come on guys, that shite has got to hurt like hell....try screaming. The witches were all on their A game. A small one scared me massively near the end. At first I was like AHHHHH but then I was like "OHHHHH....ITS SO CUTE!!!!"

A good scarezone, wish there was more reaction from the guys getting burned alive. come on guys, that shite has got to hurt like hell....try screaming. The witches were all on their A game. A small one scared me massively near the end. At first I was like AHHHHH but then I was like "OHHHHH....ITS SO CUTE!!!!"

the last two times i went through The Coven, Sat. Oct 16 and last night Sun. Oct 24 there were no Puritans burning at the stake. I was afraid that for some reason they had pulled these characters from the zone. But the above suggests that they were there after the 16th, although cwoolboy does not state when he went through I am assuming it was closer to the 23rd when he posted.

Can anybody verify for sure why the Puritans are sometimes missing? They are still part of the zone right?

I gotta say, this zone really surprised me. Shrek Alley tends to have non-scary to lame zones. But there was something about it that I really liked, and actually would like to see the Coven witches in the future. Maybe with it reminding me of the witch room from the Hallow in 08, I liked it more. But you all definitely get your scares and creep people out. Also you all manage better without the puritans than you do with them; probably because every other time I've been through the puritans have seemed bored or looked like they weren't doing anything.

Definitely a cool zone: 4/5

Could someone explain what happened to the Puritans? I know some didn't really care for them, but I had nothing but nice things to say - they were great ad-libbers and still managed to get scares, not to mention excellent interaction with the Sirens.

Could someone explain what happened to the Puritans? I know some didn't really care for them, but I had nothing but nice things to say - they were great ad-libbers and still managed to get scares, not to mention excellent interaction with the Sirens.

I did two nights as a Puritan and had a lot of fun. Ad-libbing and guest interaction was a nice change of pace from aggressive scaring.

I believe the actors who were Puritans later became ugly witches and hags. It seemed like changes were made to some zones as the month went on to make them scarier (cloaked scareactors and shaker props in Muerte, the disappearance of the infected human on the float in Gras, etc.)

I did two nights as a Puritan and had a lot of fun. Ad-libbing and guest interaction was a nice change of pace from aggressive scaring.

I believe the actors who were Puritans later became ugly witches and hags. It seemed like changes were made to some zones as the month went on to make them scarier (cloaked scareactors and shaker props in Muerte, the disappearance of the infected human on the float in Gras, etc.)

Really? they became witches? wow, that is just awesome to know, yeah This zone was really nice, whole the other zones were bright and had alot of music or noise, this one was so dark and quiet

very creepy, the trees and everything, made it a very creepy zone, and the witches were just great, They kept whispering when I pass by, very creepy but awesome, I like the Coven A lot better than the zombie zone last year

My mom is really hard to scare but I got to witness the greatest scare reaction of all time from her in this zone! We were walking through and talking, having been through the zone several times we really weren't on edge walking through. I looked over at her at one point right as a witch jumped out of absolutely nowhere- she yelled the most bizarre and genuine yell I've ever heard come out of her mouth and both her arms flew up in the air (if there hadn't been a lid on her coffee it would have been everywhere). I couldn't even tell you what the witch looked like that got her but it was the best thing ever and I'll probably never get to see her get that scared ever again so thank you :)

Odd that I would read about this street having not so good zones, as it's had 3 or 4 of my favorites in the recent past. I adored American Gothic and Blood Masquerade, WotLD was always fun (and got me screaming during daylight!), even the adorkably silly add-on zone from 2007 was fun. I think that it is a better setting for an official scarezone than Central Park, it's very narrow and for some reason the fog stays better there than anywhere else in the park (outside of Sting Alley). It feels closed in, even though it's as open as Hollywood or Mel's Diner areas. I think it all has to do with the height of the buildings and the restrictive width. I liked The Coven because it felt sort of old-fashioned, even with the Bob Mackie costumes!

Mae

• 1 year later...

Shrek Alley tends to have non-scary to lame zones.

I disagree.

Two of my favorite scarezones were set in that location.

THE COVEN being one of them (best of that year I reckon) and AMERICAN GOTHIC which I sadly didn't spend nearly as much time at as I did in THE COVEN.

The WW II Zombie theme for 2009 I wasn't as keen on (too bright and the scareactors were too busy acting out their parts to mingle or spook the guests) but it was a neat idea.

2011's NIGHTMAZE was derided by many but I thought it was one of HHN's most intriguing attempts at a scare zone.

I liked it.

With the recent construction of TRANSFORMERS, or whatever is being built in that area, I hope it doesn't effect SHREK ALLEY's scare zone potential all that much.

Oh, and on a vaguely on topic note... anybody ever hear of the late 60's band COVEN?

Their initial album WITCHCRAFT DESTROYS MINDS AND REAPS SOULS is awesome. Truly the first outwardly satanic band. Even before BLACK SABBATH pretended to be one.

Too bad this obscure band's later stuff wasn't nearly as dark.

The whole album is awesome but here are my favorite tunes.

Edited by YourPallbearer

• Mark M. changed the title to The Coven