Hades: The Gates of Ruin

Mark M.

Finally had a chance to go through this house right before closing on Saturday. Hate to admit, I'm not the biggest fan. I'll admit that I'm a little jaded because Hades is in direct competition with Catacombs for House of the Year, but even without that I think I might not have been the biggest fan. The word that comes to mind when I think back on the house is "disjointed." It feels like cyclops room, minotaur room, harpy room, etc, with no story or cohesion (which is something I look for). Also, the reliance on the drop-down boo-doors turns me off a bit. The hanging stuff didn't bother me all that much, because the used to use it a lot more than they have this year. Only the heads in cyclops bothered me because those things could knock somebody out. I walked between scares most of the night, but was impressed by the minotaur who targeted me. Still had a ton of energy for closing. That said, the set was impressive, and I like the maze layout. The costumes are what I expected, which was kinda a let-down honestly.

And yeah, missing throne, massive hole in the house.

Ok so to clear things up for everyone, there was supposed to be a HADES and there was supposed to be a CEREBUS animatronic in the house.....both were scratched from the house for unknown reasons. Eventually we may try to get the Coordinator or Stage Manager to sit in HADES throne but at this point neither is certain.

I had an odd feeling about this house. Not quite negative, but not as positive as I would have hoped, especially considering I adore Greek mythology. This is from the walk through I managed to do on Saturday. While the facade looked great, once entering the house, it felt like I was going into an Aztec themed nightclub, not a Hades based house. I found the stone people scareactors interesting, but didn't quite understand what they were or what they had to do with Hades or Greek mythology. I did like the hanging heads in what I assume is the Cyclops room. I kinda felt bad for the guy with an eyepatch because he just looked like a bartender at a club. The next thing I remember is walking through a hallway with what my friend said was supposed to be one of the Harpies; It was alright, but I don't know, kinda let down with the look. I don't know if this was before or after the Harpie with the broken wings, but there was a random hallway of two scareactors in masks on the left and right sides moving weirdly, I'm guessing to add atmosphere or something? I wasn't sure what they were. Next room I remember is the Minotaur maze room; This was by far my favorite thing in the house. It was creepy and scary, and even though I wasn't a target for the Minotaurs, they definitely would have got me if not my friend. However my first scare was actually in the next room when a chain hanging from the ceiling hit me in the face. Medusa room was alright I guess, I think it would have been better with some statues or something. Medusa herself was cool, I love that the snakes had movement, however, I was disappointed we barely saw her fully, it was only upper torso and above visible; I figured they were going Clash of the Titans with her look, I just think they could have added a little more. I wasn't a fan of the drop door booholes with the Jurassic Park dinosaur masks behind; Sorry to anyone who has to wear those. And finally, Hades throne. I'm sorry, but I can't think of any good reason why there is no Hades on that throne; Bad decision Universal.

Overall, I'd probably give the house a 3/5, because the work that went into it shows a lot, however, it barely relates to its theme besides 3-4 rooms.

@ Mirpleboy.....The two creatures before the FURY, are Stygian Witches, there were supposed to be 3, so it looks like you went through on Cast B. The room after the bird like creature is NOT a Harpie people so stop calling it that...it's a FURY. As for the throne, Hades was supposed to be there but was scratched, don't ask why, don't know.

I really enjoyed this house. The facade was great, and while the rooms didn't make me feel like I was in the underworld, the abundance of scares certainly did! Great costumes too. My only real complaint is that all the hanging stuff got old very quickly... I got hit in the eyes twice with it. :/ Other than that, it was a good, solid house.

Okay I really want to love this house. I went through on the 3rd and was not able to enjoy this house at all because the sound effects were WAY too loud (and I NEVER complain about noise level) I literally had to walk through with my ears plugged, ha. So I barely got to enjoy the costumes and everything around me. I'm definitely going to go through again, I just hope the noise level is fixed.

@ Mirpleboy.....The two creatures before the FURY, are Stygian Witches, there were supposed to be 3, so it looks like you went through on Cast B. The room after the bird like creature is NOT a Harpie people so stop calling it that...it's a FURY. As for the throne, Hades was supposed to be there but was scratched, don't ask why, don't know.

After thinking back, I ended up figuring out those two were the witches because I do have a friend cast as one, but I couldn't put it together at the time.

Harpy, Fury; Simple mistake. Both are demonic humanoid creatures with wings in Greek Mythology.

Ok so to clear things up for everyone, there was supposed to be a HADES and there was supposed to be a CEREBUS animatronic in the house.....both were scratched from the house for unknown reasons. Eventually we may try to get the Coordinator or Stage Manager to sit in HADES throne but at this point neither is certain.

WHAT?! :o

You guys were going to have Those two, and an animatronic,

That has to be the worst thing i've heard, that would have been so awesome, I am Extremely curious why they scratched Hades out, i mean it would just be an actor sitting, they must have had a good reason for it, I Hope, :mellow:

Still best house of the year for me

It seems a lot of mechanical effects/key actors got cut this year... no banshee in Legendary Truth, no Cerberus in Hades... no HADES in Hades... I can stand the first two, but the last one? Come on.

(Slightly off topic, but while on the subject of cut actors/effects, whatever happened to that cast Bloody Mary?)

It seems a lot of mechanical effects/key actors got cut this year... no banshee in Legendary Truth, no Cerberus in Hades... no HADES in Hades... I can stand the first two, but the last one? Come on.

(Slightly off topic, but while on the subject of cut actors/effects, whatever happened to that cast Bloody Mary?)

It was a rumor. Personally, I never expected to see her.

Cerberus not being in Hades is a massive hole though.

I have to say this house is my favorite of the year. Its a good mix of everything. The scares are fantastic, the costume and set designs are amazing. And the facade gives me chills everytime I walk through! Ive done this house 4 times already, and everytime I go through it feels like the first time. Although I must agree on there being too much stuff hanging in the way. And they couldve had an epic ending adding something to that empty throne. But everything else was just amazing. And btw, the Menotaur who was in the house at about 645 on the 3rd last night, you got me and my sister reallllllllly good and blocked our path :lol:

Glad I was able to get you :) I am minotaur, hear me moo!!

Glad I was able to get you :) I am minotaur, hear me moo!!

The only two screams I got out of the night came from you. Damn it all. My second run through Hades-- everyone was attacking me at once. It was terrifying, it was much more intense than the second run. There was also this atmosphere of there being a lot of space that is eerie to me. In my opinion, a large open room is much scarier than a claustrophobic hallway.

What! :o why did they do all those changes?

I actually want to see animatronics in the houses, is one thing that Universal doesnt have that I have seen other events around the us have, I remember seeing a history channel program showing all these cool effects their houses had, and I kept thinking, I Wish HHN had stuff like that, This year they have some cool stuff in some of the houses, but I really wonder why they didnt do what they thought about doing....

No animatronics is probably due to the fact that stupid guests would mess it up. Jackass guests have been known to break sets, take props, hang razors/fishing hooks in houses, etc; Animatronics probably cost too much to let it be tampered/ruined by guests.

No animatronics is probably due to the fact that stupid guests would mess it up. Jackass guests have been known to break sets, take props, hang razors/fishing hooks in houses, etc; Animatronics probably cost too much to let it be tampered/ruined by guests.

Yeah I thought about this before but, they could easily put them just like they put the zombie baby and the fire in orfanage, or the hanging guy from silver screams, in the roof. I really wish they would do some really scary creatures that moved, and then put the out of the reach of the guests, I think it could be done, That is the one thing that Uni really needs to make the houses really great, without people destroying them.

So I guess the reason the Hades house is sans hades is because maybe Hades took Cerberus out for a walk? <_<

TLRxs.jpg

Edited by black7mask

Yeah I thought about this before but, they could easily put them just like they put the zombie baby and the fire in orfanage, or the hanging guy from silver screams, in the roof. I really wish they would do some really scary creatures that moved, and then put the out of the reach of the guests, I think it could be done, That is the one thing that Uni really needs to make the houses really great, without people destroying them.

So I guess the reason the Hades house is sans hades is because maybe Hades took Cerberus out for a walk? <_<

TLRxs.jpg

Sure. We can go with that. :lol:

Its Charon...the ferryboat man

Is he the really tall one that is holding some sort of weapon...possibly a hook?

When I was lucky enough to walk through this house with nobody ahead of me, I was the direct target of this scare. He came from my right and thrust this sharp looking weapon at my face, stopping inches from me. Amazing scare.