Scareactors Targets

Scareactors my question to you is who do you target the most? Women, young girls or do you prefer a challenge with drunk college kids?

From my own Horror Nights experience I've noticed scareactors taking more interest in scaring females. I usually go with my sister and girlfriend. Obviously in a group such as this I wont get a majority or the scares, this is understandable. But am I wrong? I'm curious to hear from the scareactors mouths what they look for in a target/victim.

Edited by NightlifeMike

Scareactors my question to you is who do you target the most? Women, young girls or do you prefer a challenge with drunk college kids?

From my own Horror Nights experience I've noticed scareactors taking more interest in scaring females. I usually go with my sister and girlfriend. Obviously in a group such as this I wont get a majority or the scares, this is understandable. But am I wrong? I'm curious to hear from the scareactors mouths what they look for in a target/victim.

Whoever shows the most fear, whether it be young/old, male/female. Target gender or age doesn't matter to me when it comes to scaring, I'm all about equal opportunity. However if I can get one of those "tough guy" types. They're the most satisfying to watch scream and jump around like a sissy. Especially when they are with their girlfriend/wife and said girlfriend/wife are not the ones being scared but the ones laughing at the guys.

Because I want the instant gratification, I go for the easy scare. I know that is the easy way out....but that's how I do! ;)

I try to get those who I don't think will scare, and I am usually right.....but there are those on occasion who scare way more than I expect and those are the ones that I laugh out loud about.

I also enjoy scaring someone who was not my intended target. That person 3 or 4 back who I didn't see and who jumps/reacts way more than that person I was going after.

You know being an easily jumpy screaming female I got targeted pretty much everywhere I moved but was absolutely convinced last year if I forced a big dumb toothy smile on my face in houses, I'd be avoided a bit more and surprisingly it worked. I could be scared to all hell but with a big smile I guess at quick glance I seemed to be enjoying it and like I wouldn't scream. It was interesting to see the Dracula house last year, being predominantly women scareactors, all the men with us got zoned in on. I walked through that house without a single scare!

A side question to go with that- what are those of you that are scareactors opinions of people (mostly guys Id assume) who are way into your scares? You know, guys smiling and laughing and going "Wow you look awesome!" My husband and friends did that, not in a taunting way or anything, and scareactors seemed annoyed by this and quickly move on.

Edited by jmorri26

I'm curious about what scareactors think about that as well. My friend scared very easily and I hardly got anything all night last year. When frankenstein got me last year I told him he did an awesome job but I don't think that's really what he wanted to hear.

Edited by Jumboshrmp

In Silver Screams, I was fortunate enough to wind up behind a scareactor who worked for the house (It was his night off ). Of course i didn't waste anytime and jumped into the questions (according to him Scareactors are only allowwed to "stalk" people for 3 steps, is this true). Since when I went in it was his cast, he ended up getting quite a bit of abuse from the scareactors inside as they would brutally attack and sometimes even "kill" him in certain scenes. It was very fun to go thru with him since I couldn't help but chuckle every time he became a target. After the house we went our seperate ways, although I would wind up bu

ping into him a total of 2 more times during the event. His name was Alex. if anyone knows him or is working with him this year, be sure to tell him that I said hello.

I'm sorry if I deviated from the topic and will gladly accept the pre-chosen number of lashings I may have received. ;)

A side question to go with that- what are those of you that are scareactors opinions of people (mostly guys Id assume) who are way into your scares? You know, guys smiling and laughing and going "Wow you look awesome!" My husband and friends did that, not in a taunting way or anything, and scareactors seemed annoyed by this and quickly move on.

Personally speaking, if someone does appear to be having a good time and laughing from enjoyment, I'm fine with it. However, you do deal with a lot of jerks trying to point and laugh to defuse your scare, which can be REAL annoying. It can be hard to tell sometimes with a conga line of people.

Edited by reilysclone

I don't know what it is, but big bull lesbians are always the most challenging. I try to get them when I see them for the bragging rights, but I have only been able to get a few in the past two years that I have been working the event. I have to say that I agree with Munchie and The Director of Horror in that getting the boyfriends/husbands in front of the girlfriends/wives is always the best. Especially if said boyfriend/husband is being obnoxious. They shut up pretty quick after their lady starts laughing at them. :P

Gotta be honest with you, this is probably the must annoying thing about working HHN. :angry: I once had a guy follow me for ten minutes pointing me out to everyone, talking about how cool I looked as a Nazi Zombie and letting people know that I was about to scare them. Granted I had him ejected from event and trespassed, but still, no need to act like that. Not saying your husband and his friends did that, it's cool to hear that you look awesome, there is just a fine line. When it starts to interfere with a Scareactor getting his/her scares, its probably time to move on and enjoy the rest of the event.

Edited by fireman617

There is no greater joy than to scare the unscareable. When in a position to truly pick and choose scares I usually go for the tough guy in the group, The collateral scares always follow. Last year when the line would stop i would look for a person who was obviously scared, single them out, more for the people around them than for a scare.

Friends always get special treatment, and some friends (Michele) I am on a mission to scare them.

You know being an easily jumpy screaming female I got targeted pretty much everywhere I moved but was absolutely convinced last year if I forced a big dumb toothy smile on my face in houses, I'd be avoided a bit more and surprisingly it worked. I could be scared to all hell but with a big smile I guess at quick glance I seemed to be enjoying it and like I wouldn't scream. It was interesting to see the Dracula house last year, being predominantly women scareactors, all the men with us got zoned in on. I walked through that house without a single scare!

Alright, to answer your question. Some performers do get discouraged when they don't get the reaction they want to, but I hope that most performers, such as myself, look at it on a broader scale. When someone comes through and I attempt a scare, and they go, "OMG that was awesome!" to me, they are admiring the work of art that the production team put together in the costume.. and somewhat the performance work I put into it ion those precious few seconds that they encounter me (or whatever creature they happen on). So.. to me, it's very much a compliment if someone does that. I personally, don't get discouraged that I didn't scare them.. I just kinda smile that they were happy with what they saw. I know many scareactors maybe get discouraged that they don't get what they want out of a person. That's their problem if they are THAT self conscious about scaring someone.. lol. Me... I'm more about beinging the art to someone.. if it doesn't scare them? fine... but they better damn well appreciate what I'm there for!! :D

I don't know what it is, but big bull lesbians are always the most challenging. I try to get them when I see them for the bragging rights, but I have only been able to get a few in the past two years that I have been working the event. I have to say that I agree with Munchie and The Director of Horror in that getting the boyfriends/husbands in front of the girlfriends/wives is always the best. Especially if said boyfriend/husband is being obnoxious. They shut up pretty quick after their lady starts laughing at them. :P

Gotta be honest with you, this is probably the must annoying thing about working HHN. :angry: I once had a guy follow me for ten minutes pointing me out to everyone, talking about how cool I looked as a Nazi Zombie and letting people know that I was about to scare them. Granted I had him ejected from event and trespassed, but still, no need to act like that. Not saying your husband and his friends did that, it's cool to hear that you look awesome, there is just a fine line. When it starts to interfere with a Scareactor getting his/her scares, its probably time to move on and enjoy the rest of the event.

LOL! Hey Clint. :}

I didnt get a chance to buy the shirt, but you can bet I'll make one or something :P Just keep an eye out for me, SA!!!! :P Id love to get some of my scares from people who appreciate the event just as much as I do ;D

how are you going to make one? :o

I thought about making buttons, but is not noticeable enough, too small I think

Edited by black7mask

Ok.. reading this thread has helped me learn how to NOT become a target =p I will fake a smile on my face.. maybe then.. I won't be brought to tears again.. hmppph.. Maybe I can go un noticed.. or someone in my group is a bigger target :)

Thanks to all that answered this thread.. it was very insightful..

Just because Roberto is a panzie doesn't mean I'm not going to scare you.