Pet Peeves about Horror Nights  

124 members have voted

1. 1. What is your biggest Pet Peeve about Halloween Horror Nights?

• People who scream at every little thing even when there not scared or no-ones around
    • People who bring there underage kids along ( younger then the age limit specified by universal)
    • Long lines
    • Lack of scares from the scare-actors
    • Mazes aren't dark enough
    • Mazes aren't long enough
    • All of the above

I used to get nervous but...I can't anymore. I don't get nervous, I know to many actors, I know how the scares are set up, etc. It's hard for me to get scared when I know my friend is the one doing it. The first two nights I go I might get scares but.....after that it's doubtful. When I was 15 I could get scares easily; if it was as easy as lets make myself nervous and jumpy then I would but alas, I can not.

At this point I'm going more to just enjoy and appreciate them practically making movies come to life. I'm thrilled when I get scares but it's a rare occurrence that brings me joy when it happens.

I get what you're saying. I'm more thinking about the folks who do nothing but complain the entire time and every sentence starts with "I've been coming since..." then goes on to say "...and it's not even fun anymore."

Honestly, why come? There's one gentleman I can think of in particular, I've seen him at least the last 4 years, maybe even before that. Being near him in line drives me absolutely crazy. Plus, I've actually eased up on going with some of my friends because of that very same attitude. I can compare it to sports fans who's team may not be in its prime anymore, but they still pay to go to games only to sit around and badmouth the players and the coaches....are you really that wealthy that you can pay so much for something you apparently don't enjoy anymore? If I ever get that unhappy with it, you can bet I'll save that stack o' cash or find something else to do!

Mae

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll admit I'm a hard scare simply because I've gone through houses so many times and spent so much time looking into the right way to do a haunted house that I can very often locate booholes as soon as I enter a room or tell dummies apart from scareactors. I enjoy watching other people get scared more than I enjoy someone scaring me; if I tell a scareactor "good job", I really mean it because he's one of the three or four that managed to get me the entire year.

As a scareactor: guests making "clever" comments.

I understand it's a defense mechanism for people who are scared or nervous, and that's cool. But chances are, the witty observation you're making has been made by about forty people before you. Why YES, I DO have something on my face! You're awful observant.

Edited by eyeballs

The screamers have never really been a problem. The drunken asses on the other hand have been. I remember going through the Friday the 13th house and two drunks deciding to play I am tougher than you with the Jason's who promptly ganged up and scared the crap out of them. And in the Hades house I had this complete stranger chick grab onto me throughout the whole house and she was there with a dude that was like 6'5 and 200 pounds easily and she never once turned to him just grabbed me every time she was scared which was from the time she walked in so she was a target :blink: .

One that I just thought of is scareactors who can't stay in character. Obviously the worst drunks and heat can leave them tired and less enthusiastic, but sometimes you have the ones who just have no excuse.

I think the best was the last zombie in Dead Exposure in 2008 saying "Get out!" as I was leaving. I know it was an attempt at trying to scare me, but the fact that a zombie would talk AND say such a cliche haunted house phrase just made me have to stifle my laughter.

Oh as a scareactor I hate aggressive guests you know the ones that try to act tough and draw back like they are going to swing I watched one drunk punch though a boo hole at one of the other actors in my room I imediately jumped out at him out of character daring him to punch me. Of course in the house iWork at I play a knight in a castle and carry a dull but real broad sword and a battle axe so he backed down. But anyhow the point is don't come to any haunted house and throw punchs when you get startled.

I probably would been let go at uni for getting In his face like that but I wasn't going to sit there and watch him be a a**.

Edited by Carnagefan

Oh as a scareactor I hate aggressive guests you know the ones that try to act tough and draw back like they are going to swing I watched one drunk punch though a boo hole at one of the other actors in my room I imediately jumped out at him out of character daring him to punch me. Of course in the house iWork at I play a knight in a castle and carry a dull but real broad sword and a battle axe so he backed down. But anyhow the point is don't come to any haunted house and throw punchs when you get startled.

I probably would been let go at uni for getting In his face like that but I wasn't going to sit there and watch him be a a**.

Yeah, you would have been let go for confronting a guest like that.

That sort of behavior is fairly common at HHN (I would have to deal with it about once or twice a night last year), especially if you play your character "aggressively." I prefer the Uni method of handling it though: Step back into your boo-hole and meet them at the exit. As long as the Ops are doing their job and paying attention, you can pick them out every time.

I don't even consider that sort of behavior a peeve because, when you consider how many people you end up scaring through the run, it's such a small percentage. It's just the inevitability of drunk douche bags who are intimated by the people in masks.

• 1 month later...

I dont like it when people take kids....they dont deserve the trauma caused to them..I had to guide a kid to security cause a scare actor scared him so much that he ran away from his mom..i stayed and waited with him and i told the mother to hold on to him tight and shield him from any actors

As a scareactor: guests making "clever" comments.

I understand it's a defense mechanism for people who are scared or nervous, and that's cool. But chances are, the witty observation you're making has been made by about forty people before you. Why YES, I DO have something on my face! You're awful observant.

"Hur hur Swine Flu"

1. People bringing small kids or babies to the event.

2. Drunks that don't know that they are drunk and still getting served.

3. People walking super slow and holding up the flow through the house.

4. Workers telling saying to "Keep Moving." even though there is a line that is either stopped or moving extremely slowly.

5. People trying to act like the Jersey Shore idiots.

6. People pushing forward from behind or backwards from in front for no reason.

7. People that abuse the event employees.

8. People that cuts the line just to get in front of the people that are following the line.

9. Large groups that try to place hold in lines and then cut in at the last minute with no drinks or food from the vending carts.

10. People that cut in and out of the express pass line.

11. People that cut through people say that they are with a group a head and then when they are comfront by the employees that they to act like that are a part of some random group while they are not then argue with the employees saying that they did not cut the line or skip anyone.

1. People bringing small kids or babies to the event.

2. Drunks that don't know that they are drunk and still getting served.

3. People walking super slow and holding up the flow through the house.

4. Workers telling saying to "Keep Moving." even though there is a line that is either stopped or moving extremely slowly.

5. People trying to act like the Jersey Shore idiots.

6. People pushing forward from behind or backwards from in front for no reason.

7. People that abuse the event employees.

8. People that cuts the line just to get in front of the people that are following the line.

9. Large groups that try to place hold in lines and then cut in at the last minute with no drinks or food from the vending carts.

10. People that cut in and out of the express pass line.

That is the golden list my friend...especially #9.... i remember one time in 09 i was waiting to get into Leave it to Cleaver and then i was about to get in then out of NOWHERE!!! 8 people cut like its all good bcuz 2 of thier friends stayed behind needless to say i got pissed and wanted to curse them out but i controlled myself so that i wouldnt get in trouble

That is the golden list my friend...especially #9.... i remember one time in 09 i was waiting to get into Leave it to Cleaver and then i was about to get in then out of NOWHERE!!! 8 people cut like its all good bcuz 2 of thier friends stayed behind needless to say i got pissed and wanted to curse them out but i controlled myself so that i wouldnt get in trouble

I actually forgot one but have added it.

People that post drivel like this on non-HHN related forums

I have to be honest, I don't get all the excitement for this, it was the most disappointing part of my trip last year and the idea of it being scary is laughable. I've gone to at least 4 different haunted houses each year for the last 6 years in Pennsylvania and I've seen all levels from local fire houses to ones that are featured on TV shows like America’s scariest attractions. Frankly short of some local "junk" holes, Universal was the weakest I've ever seen. You're never scared in the houses because you see the scares 5 people ahead of you, and that’s if they even bother trying half the time we walked through house with only a couple of people even interacting with us. The idea of the houses being themed is great but the themes were not caring through at all in many of the houses. They never seemed to use the bait and switch method where your attention is on one thing but the scare is beside or behind you. The animatronics level is no where it should be considering the amount they charge for this event. Anyone who’s been to Bate’s Motel can tell what they should be.

I liked the scare zones, but some of the people they had working them were god awful, one girl tried to scare us by following behind us, after rolling my eyes at my friend I felt bad for the girl and gave her a little jump so that she wouldn’t feel bad that her efforts were wasted, well she preceded to yell to the other works about how she scared us and sound like an excited kind kindergartener, yes very scary. :brick:

Truthfully neither me nor my friend had a single moment that made us jump. They were very disorganized, we spent much of the night on one line that claimed a 40 min wait, but turned out to be 2 hrs. I’ve never wait that long for anything let alone for a 3 min. walk through a house where, yes this is the honest truth one single person tried to scare us.

I liked getting to ride Jaws at night in the dark and the fire effects were going full, so that was cool. The Bill and Ted show was really good and I do wish they would do it other times because I don’t think I’d be likely to waste money on this event again. :shrug:

I liked the scare zones, but some of the people they had working them were god awful, one girl tried to scare us by following behind us, after rolling my eyes at my friend I felt bad for the girl and gave her a little jump so that she wouldn’t feel bad that her efforts were wasted, well she preceded to yell to the other works about how she scared us and sound like an excited kind kindergartener, yes very scary. :brick:

Okay, this person is a jerk. I'm pretty sure I know which scareactor they're talking about, and it makes me mad because she was one of the best, IMO. She was very energetic and interactive with guests, especially if they were fans. I got the best scare I've received from ANY haunted attraction thanks to her and some of her castmates.

They never seemed to use the bait and switch method where your attention is on one thing but the scare is beside or behind you.

They must not have been paying much attention because this tactic certainly was used. I know the spine rip in Hallow'd was one example (BC would come up behind people and scare them while they were watching the scene), and I think Catacombs had it too... I remember being distracted by a doctor out in the open, only to turn around and end up nose to beak with another one (who happened to be from this site :P).

People that post drivel like this on non-HHN related forums

where did you find this? i mean what forum was it? i am just curious,

Okay, this person is a jerk. I'm pretty sure I know which scareactor they're talking about, and it makes me mad because she was one of the best, IMO. She was very energetic and interactive with guests, especially if they were fans. I got the best scare I've received from ANY haunted attraction thanks to her and some of her castmates.

They must not have been paying much attention because this tactic certainly was used. I know the spine rip in Hallow'd was one example (BC would come up behind people and scare them while they were watching the scene), and I think Catacombs had it too... I remember being distracted by a doctor out in the open, only to turn around and end up nose to beak with another one (who happened to be from this site :P).

I remember going over to Hauntworld.com ( I think it was hauntworld, but i am not sure,forgive me if it wasn't but i remember the little pumpkin logo, anyway it was a haunted house site)

and in their forums someone made a thread about HHN XX, everyone pretty much said it was the worst event or something like that, there were comments how for being so expensive it was really cheap looking, like Havoc, stuff like that, how everything looked really cheap, how the scares sucked, how the costumes sucked, no one said anything good about HHN, :angry:

wdwmagic forums in the Universal section.

Yeah... most of them have no clue what they're talking about when it comes to Universal and look for any excuse they can bad-mouth it.

As far as Hauntworld goes... HHN is a more "mainstream" event than local haunts. Local haunts tend to attempt more shock in their scares, and have problems with chasing, touching and harassing guests in ways that Universal simply can't do. People who want the shock can go elsewhere, Universal provides a more cohesive event than most local-haunt-goers can fathom or care about. Let them complain and go jump at dude in a bedsheet.

Yeah... most of them have no clue what they're talking about when it comes to Universal and look for any excuse they can bad-mouth it.

As far as Hauntworld goes... HHN is a more "mainstream" event than local haunts. Local haunts tend to attempt more shock in their scares, and have problems with chasing, touching and harassing guests in ways that Universal simply can't do. People who want the shock can go elsewhere, Universal provides a more cohesive event than most local-haunt-goers can fathom or care about. Let them complain and go jump at dude in a bedsheet.

lol, yeah I get you,