Halloween Horror Nights Hollywood 2018 Speculation

The reason Stranger Things was delayed was because Family Feud was filming inside SS29 until a few weeks ago.

Also keep in mind that the scenic department has more than just one maze to dress up, so that's why Trick R Treat is in its current condition.

There is every reason to believe Warner Bros would take away an IP from Universal. Just look at Orlando's issue with Scream, Ouija, etc.. the difference between Orlando & Hollywood losing Poltergeist is Orlando can just convert it into a spooky paranormal Legendary Truth original.

1 minute ago, WESKER69 said:

the difference between Orlando & Hollywood losing Poltergeist is Orlando can just convert it into a spooky paranormal Legendary Truth original.

Ahhh okay that makes more sense then, thank you! Yeah that's true Orlando can just do something original and call it a day, I think it's weird how they just released ticket sales too today even thought we barely have any Info yet

5 hours ago, WESKER69 said:

Thoughts????

Yes, from what I can gather Universal's PR is an embarrassment, Stranger Things and Trick R Treat are shared on both coasts and the other revealed property is The Purge, not to mention the potential sucker punches WB threw them, while Warner Brothers is all, "Arkham Asylum, IT, The Exorcist, The Conjuring, Lost Boys, Tim Burton, Freddy VS Jason, Santa Claus is real, he's in the backlot, and he's GIVING OUT F--KING [CENSORED because i took the joke too far]JOBS.

WARNER BROTHERS, B---HES!

WE OUT"

Like, that's not coming out swinging, Warner Brothers, that's having the mob kneecap your opponent before the fight, have mercy!

did... did i go too far?

• Like 1

Let's not forget that the 3rd movie they named off when discussing their vast library was Poltergeist.

Also Orlando is doing a Vamp 85 scarezone... WB could've easily said "NO" when Orlando planned on a Lost Boys vampire sz. Hence the original route.

2 minutes ago, WESKER69 said:

Let's not forget that the 3rd movie they named off when discussing their vast library was Poltergeist.

Also Orlando is doing a Vamp 85 scarezone... WB could've easily said "NO" when Orlando planned on a Lost Boys vampire sz. Hence the original route.

Yes exactly plus for all we know, WB can be biting off more then they can chew, horror nights has been doing this for years and they STILL mess up or do things that the fans hate so this event may flop at first, I hope it doesn't but now that they have announced all of these properties they are setting standards extremely high 

Notice, tickets aren't going on sale until august this year. (Excluding the 1st 2 weekends presale that just started.) Last year it was July and the year before was june. Murdy mentioned sales wouldn't start until august months ago. Seems to me, any issues were already on the way to delay ticket sales like that early on. Anyone else have insight into that? Cuz mine is just a guess.

2 hours ago, DRLOTS said:

Yes exactly plus for all we know, WB can be biting off more then they can chew, horror nights has been doing this for years and they STILL mess up or do things that the fans hate so this event may flop at first, I hope it doesn't but now that they have announced all of these properties they are setting standards extremely high 

I've been thinking about this as well. WB already is capping their capacity by having guided tours and priding themselves on no conga lines. Guess what happens next? Even if it is good, word of mouth is going to force their hand on that aspect when crowds go apesh!t on too many sold out nights. And they'll realize, bottom line, it means more money on pushing people through, so they'll have to do it.

Other side of the coin, if these guided tours aren't good (which Neibolt house honestly looked like it wasn't, but we'll see what they improve this year), then they'll be dead in the water despite all their amazing properties.  It's a no-win situation and I don't think they should've acted so cocky at their panel. Confidence is key to selling the event, but they don't quite have a fanbase yet to make this work long-term, so they also should've been a bit humble.

Granted, their event SOUNDS awesome, but if it isn't, I'll be (and many others will be) sorely disappointed, and will definitely not be back. Fright Fest has been on my no-fly list for more than a decade now because of one crappy haunt.

As I've mentioned multiple times before... forget what you know or what you think you know. These are actual mazes like the other haunts have. This is not a guided tour event. The only tour aspect is the tram that takes you back to Freddy/Jason.

And they said they'd add more nights if things go well. You have to remember, this took a lot effort to get approved. The past 2 years were trial runs for higher up approval. This year is the real deal & they're thinking of the future.

They're not being cocky. They're being confident. You want cocky & arrogant, look to HHN...

In regards to Neibolt... aka IT.. they even stated that it served it's purpose which was to promote the movie & get you familiar with the world. It was never meant to be anything more. And for being just a PR stunt, it was good. This year the specifically state that the IT maze will be all new & not what we experienced last year. 

Also... any & all discussion of WB's haunt should be in its thread, not this thread which is for HHN

1 hour ago, ldh5086 said:

The Blumhouse offices aren’t on the WB lot, my friend used to work for Blum they are in their own office space, just a BTW :) 

I don't understand why you get so worked up about WB do you work for them or something lol do they even have the space to put on an event like this? Especially for the scale that they are proposing, on Twitter they said they will announce more on Wednesday so we'll just have to wait and see, but back to HHN Murdy said yesterday at the panel that there will be an announcement soon, I wonder how soon

Edited by DRLOTS

13 minutes ago, DRLOTS said:

I don't understand why you get so worked up about WB do you work for them or something lol do they even have the space to put on an event like this? Especially for the scale that they are proposing, on Twitter they said they will announce more on Wednesday so we'll just have to wait and see, but back to HHN Murdy said yesterday at the panel that there will be an announcement soon, I wonder how soon

I’m so confused, I wasn’t worked up about anything this was my first post on this thread haha 

32 minutes ago, DRLOTS said:

Murdy said yesterday at the panel that there will be an announcement soon, I wonder how soon

In theme park terms "soon" can mean tomorrow, next week, next month... its the most feared word for announcements.

A few comments.

Universal Hollywood PR is an embarrassment this year.  Last day of Jul and almost nothing has been announced vs what WB has announced.  Orlando's PR has pulled their head out of their collective asses and is off the charts this year.

I don't expect much from WB, although I'm definitely going to buy tickets tomorrow.  Five houses (so far?) outta nowhere is exciting, even if they are all IP.  Everyone is going to compare Exorcist and F&J to HHN of course, so that will be interesting.  Hollywood and Orlando's take on each of those were wildly different, so what will WB do?  Wouldn't it be interesting if WB got to create entirely unique kills for Freddy and Jason?

WB is clearly serious.  Five full houses in their second year (even they call 2017 their inaugural year).  They aren't wading into the deep end.  They are diving into it.  Could definitely be biting off way more than they can chew.  Last year the reviews were pretty much the same - great first attempt but lots of room for improvement.  I hope they limit the tickets and keep the crowds small and happy.  There can be no negative reviews this year - that is a must.  Guided tours, no conga lines.  That's gotta happen, or there may not be a return in 2019.  I think HHN Hollywood could have not have set WB up any better to spike this ball.  2017 was by many accounts the worst HHN Hollywood in many years if not ever.   A lot of people will want to try something less expensive and less crowded.  

I am doubtful that WB has pulled IP from HHN Hollywood this year.  Universal is not going to sign a contract that remotely allows that, nor are they going to use an IP without permission.  I know IP has been dropped before at the last minute, but I cannot imagine that an IP that has already been advertised will get pulled.  Nano wording on tickets may cover Universal's asses, but won't protect them from the wrath of the Internet.

Not concerned about the incomplete facades at HHN.  Even though everyone thinks they know the full list of houses, a completed facade essentially announces it to the GP, so they may be contractually required to hide the identity of the house until it is formally announced.  Incomplete houses this late is a bigger concern.  I mean, how long does it take to paint plywood black?  Some theories:

• Nothing is wrong.  Marketing is deliberately slow-rolling the house lineup, waiting until WB shot their wad.
  • Universal was waiting for WB announcements to drop so they could respond and/or change key unannounced houses in the event of a surprise.
  • The ink is still wet on contracts for some properties and houses are stuck at the fork-in-the-road point.
  • Back to back heat waves causing delays - union shortening work schedules or Universal having to restrict power usage during them.
  • This is going to be a last minute rush job and this year is going to be a repeat of 2017...

• Like 3

I honestly think Stranger Things will be one of the worst mazes horror nights has ever done. I didn't like the show at all. And I'm not holding my breathe for the maze. Nothing scary about it. No other way to put it. Sorry.

• Like 1

Nothing would make me happier than to see WB just knock it out of the park this year, I'm totally rooting for them, I've been wanting to see an IT maze for freaking ever so I'm excited to finally experience a full fledged maze, honestly I agree with a bunch of those points you just made they totally make sense 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wamps said:

I honestly think Stranger Things will be one of the worst mazes horror nights has ever done. I didn't like the show at all. And I'm not holding my breathe for the maze. Nothing scary about it. No other way to put it. Sorry.

That's a stretch. Did you see TITE? Clowns? Black Sabbath? haha

• Like 1

On 7/30/2018 at 7:41 AM, WESKER69 said:

2- Blumhouse has had films released by Universal, however, guess where Blumhouse's offices are located? The Warner Bros Lot.

yeah that's bullshit. They have their own offices near Downtown and have a first-look deal with Universal. https://www.yellowpages.com/los-angeles-ca/mip/blumhouse-productions-480692827

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@zombieman

I think you're right on, and great speculation regarding HHN Hollywood thus far.  I feel like the waiting for announcements has been taking longer and longer these last few years.  I hope it is not a trend.  I am sure there are many people who need months to plan a vacation or trip such as HHN, so this current modus operandi feels inconsiderate.  I wonder if it has anything to do with John Murdy and him living so far away?

@Wamps

I too am not a fan of Stranger Things (I just couldn't get into it).  I am not sure how it could translate to a maze so I have no expectations other than it may either be really good or really bad.

@DRLOTS

I am also looking forward to the WB mazes.  I am planning to go for the first time this year.  I hope it is on par with HHN but based on last years reviews I don't have high expectations.  I really am just looking forward to something new.  I wonder if the prices will be close to HHN, because WB studio lot doesn't have rides or as many mazes or shows as HHN, so it seems hard to justify a similar price.

@themazethinker

I haven't taken anything @WESKER69 has said seriously since I first joined HNN forum.  Some of the worst commenting I have seen on a forum.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hanniel said:

I haven't taken anything @WESKER69 has said seriously since I first joined HNN forum.  Some of the worst commenting I have seen on a forum.

Well thats your own stupidity. 

3 hours ago, themazethinker said:

yeah that's bullshit. They have their own offices near Downtown and have a first-look deal with Universal.

They have their main headquarters downtown, but they do have offices on the Warner Lot. Also "first look" means nothing more than "Universal gets to see it first & decide if they want to distribute it or not.

9 hours ago, zombieman said:

Five houses (so far?) outta nowhere is exciting, even if they are all IP.  Everyone is going to compare Exorcist and F&J to HHN of course, so that will be interesting.   Wouldn't it be interesting if WB got to create entirely unique kills for Freddy and Jason?

I am doubtful that WB has pulled IP from HHN Hollywood this year.  Universal is not going to sign a contract that remotely allows that, nor are they going to use an IP without permission.  I know IP has been dropped before at the last minute, but I cannot imagine that an IP that has already been advertised will get pulled.

Correction. They will only have 3 mazes, a Terror Tram, & a 4D experience. The Exorcist is NOT a maze. They will be showing roughly 8-10mins worth of the best scenes from the film & include special effects while you're watching it inside of a church.

Poltergeist still has not been announced. Whatever is in Waterworld hasn't been announced. Blumhouse hasn't been announced. So its not like any of those are advertised IPs... and could easily bite the bullet like Scream in Orlando.

20 hours ago, DTH316 said:

They said there would be no conga lines and it'll be a guided tour

Correction. The ONLY maze that is "guided" will be the Conjuring because it will be with a paranormal investigator. Georgie will probably play more interactive role this time around rather than guide since they don't want a repeat of what they did before. The whole point of limited tickets is so they can pulse the line so each group can enjoy the maze.

Tickets are now available for the WB event.

Four weekends, two Thursdays, three Sundays.  Event ends weekend before Halloween.

It's really difficult to see pricing for the regular ticket because you need to add it to your cart before it shows the price...  But is looks like all nights are $86.

The Loser's Club ticket (what a great name for a VIP ticket) is $169 for all nights.

The VIP includes parking, admission, front line (they don't mention if one time or not), a photo op, and two drinks.

I'm going to need to call them since I'd VIP only if the front line was multiple uses.

If anyone has gone in the past, what were the lines like?  

I've never been to WB before.  Size-wise how is this comparable to USH?

15 hours ago, Hanniel said:

@zombieman

I think you're right on, and great speculation regarding HHN Hollywood thus far.  I feel like the waiting for announcements has been taking longer and longer these last few years.  I hope it is not a trend.  I am sure there are many people who need months to plan a vacation or trip such as HHN, so this current modus operandi feels inconsiderate.  I wonder if it has anything to do with John Murdy and him living so far away?

Murdy has no control over announcement schedules.  I think it seems like Hollywood has been especially slow because Orlando has been releasing info at a fast clip this year.  But looking at historical releases for Hollywood, only three houses (sometimes four) would have announced by now.  Typically the next Hollywood announcement comes at ScareLA.  But ScareLA is 2 weeks later this year than normal (at the end of Aug this year), so Hollywood may end up doing their full reveal at ScareLA this year (just a guess).  Between now and then, maybe another house or two?  I agree that the slow roll makes it difficult for people traveling from a long distance.  Historically both parks have done full reveals before September.

As for Murdy now living in Ireland, I'm not entirely certain why he is still working for Universal in this capacity.  2017 was by all accounts a miserable failure for Hollywood.  Yet no one fell on any sword?  Knotts has one of their strongest years and Universal is fine and dandy with that?  Now a movie studio a few miles away is clearly posing itself as a challenger.  Murdy has a proven track record, and the GP simply love the guy.  No doubt about that.  But if 2018 turns out to be another 2017, I doubt he would survive it.  But who knows.

@zombieman I agree Knott's had a very successful year last year especially with Dark Ride, I'm interested to see what they do this year, I think some people on here have made some great points with the fact that Universal Studios is a theme park so they have rides and shows and other things for people to do and thin out the lines a little whereas Warner Brothers is just a big movie lot with a tram, even though 2017 was a considered a failure, when I went it was still packed to the brim with 3-4 hour wait times, especially for AHS and the Shining