Halloween Horror Nights Hollywood 2018 Speculation

I know it’s early but with Halloween Tuesday and the last weekend following I figured on top of the weakest year of HHNH we can start this discussion. 

so I’ll start with the ip’s I want to see and then overall suggestions also let’s be realistic here lol. 

ips-

No brainers- 

Stranger Things- huge hit l, second season is getting great reviews. Great environments and effects can be utilized and  ironically a black hallway would actually make sense in this one ( though not more twice tops). 

It- seems like Stephen King is over his issues with haunted attractions so would be great to see this used.

The Conjuring-if we get IT we can get a package deal from WB.

AHS: Cult if one has to return might as well be AHS and this season is pretty good hell it could even be a good terror tram.

maybes

(?) Happy Death Day- another surprise hit I didn’t go through Blumhouse or seen the movie so I don’t know what could be used but if it’s great as people say I’m sure it can be a great maze (I may change my my thought after I see the movie so take this as a hypothetical for now) 

New Mutants- doing a super hero movie as a horror movie is a fresh take and hell if it turns out good it may make for a fresh take on a maze 

The Evil Within-would like to see one more jab at a video game maze and I’m one who honestly liked Silent Hill Maze so if we’re are not gonna get Resident Evil this would be a great one

For HHN Orlando:

- AHS: Cult in Sprung 1

- The Conjuring in SS21

- IT in SS21

- Blumhouse’s Halloween in either Parade Building(if it’s still there with SNW under construction) or Sprung 2

- Twin Peaks: SS22

- Requel of Original house in SS24

- New Original house or Stranger Things in SS24

- Original in MIB Tent

- Original in a possible new house location if the Parade Building closes

For HHN Hollywood:

- AHS: Asylum in FDTD Area

- IT in JP Queue

- The Conjuring in Waterworld Queue

- Trick R Treat or The Strangers in Metro Sets

- Blumhouse’s Halloween in Parisian Courtyard

- Twin Peaks in Mummy Queue

- The Thing or Stranger Things in 747 Queue

- The Walking Dead: TWDA

Differences & Notes On Both events:

(1) AHS: I see Hollywood getting Asylum due to next year most likely being a fan service year. Considering the political backdrop of Cult I don’t see Hollywood ever touching it.

(2) Trick R Treat: I see Hollywood getting this as a potential exclusive due to the success of Orlando’s scarezone(and how requested it is). If Trick R Treat doesn’t come I think Hollywood will get The Strangers

(3) The “Mega House” in Orlando: Unless they do all 7 seasons of AHS in one, I don’t see a mega house next year for HHN 28. They could do what they did in HHN23 and fit 2 houses into SS21, which I see being IT & The Conjuring.

(4) Originals: I see Orlando revisiting an old Original, which I think will be either the Orfanage, Catacombs, or Nightingales. 

(5) The Thing is a strong possibility as the “classic” house for next year, but Twin Peaks is heavily rumored. Maybe both get Twin Peaks but one gets Thing as an exclusive?

Edited by wow
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, wow said:

For HHN Orlando:

- AHS: Cult in Sprung 1

- The Conjuring in SS21

- IT in SS21

- Blumhouse’s Halloween in either Parade Building(if it’s still there with SNW under construction) or Sprung 2

- Twin Peaks: SS22

- Requel of Original house in SS24

- New Original house or Stranger Things in SS24

- Original in MIB Tent

- Original in a possible new house location if the Parade Building closes

For HHN Hollywood:

- AHS: Asylum in FDTD Area

- IT in JP Queue

- The Conjuring in Waterworld Queue

- Trick R Treat or The Strangers in Metro Sets

- Blumhouse’s Halloween in Parisian Courtyard

- Twin Peaks in Mummy Queue

- The Thing or Stranger Things in 747 Queue

Differences & Notes On Both events:

(1) AHS: I see Hollywood getting Asylum due to next year most likely being a fan service year. Considering the political backdrop of Cult I don’t see Hollywood ever touching it.

(2) Trick R Treat: I see Hollywood getting this as a potential exclusive due to the success of Orlando’s scarezone(and how requested it is). If Trick R Treat doesn’t come I think Hollywood will get The Strangers

(3) The “Mega House” in Orlando: Unless they do all 7 seasons of AHS in one, I don’t see a mega house next year for HHN 28. They could do what they did in HHN23 and fit 2 houses into SS21, which I see being IT & The Conjuring.

(4) Originals: I see Orlando revisiting an old Original, which I think will be either the Orfanage, Catacombs, or Nightingales. 

(5) The Thing is a strong possibility as the “classic” house for next year, but Twin Peaks is heavily rumored. Maybe both get Twin Peaks but one gets Thing as an exclusive?

The only thing is idk about the strangers Universal does not have the rights anymore outside a cameo if we do a horror movie themed SZ I don’t we will see them 

also the thing i wouldn’t count while murdy is around things that are low rated the year that they represented he tends to never go back so Silent Hill, scream, The Thing, etc  cuz they were not the number 1 spot they are in limbo. Silent Hill was the reason we didn’t do Resident Evil when Orlando did but if we did a classic maze a year would be cool 

Also political stuff won’t stop Cult here in LA if it didn’t stop the purge it’s not gonna stop Cult 

murdy actually said this in a  old archived page right here about the thing https://web.archive.org/web/20110131173608/http://www.themeparkadventure.com:80/murdy09.htm

' The Thing has amazing creature effects throughout it - that would be extremely hard and frankly, very expensive to replicate for a maze.  That is the biggest idea killer as far as The Thing goes.  The creatures used in the film only had to work and hold up for a couple of shots as the camera caught them on film forever.  At HHN, props have to be built to work over and over again without fail; thousands of times.  That poses a very real issue when design teams ponder what can and cannot be feasible and realistic from their end.  To do The Thing the way Murdy would want it done would come with substantial cost to Universal.  And while Murdy acknowledges that their sister park in Orlando did do a Thing maze, it is clear that the way he would want it done here in California - isn't practical at this point in time. '

1 hour ago, themazethinker said:

murdy actually said this in a  old archived page right here about the thing https://web.archive.org/web/20110131173608/http://www.themeparkadventure.com:80/murdy09.htm

' The Thing has amazing creature effects throughout it - that would be extremely hard and frankly, very expensive to replicate for a maze.  That is the biggest idea killer as far as The Thing goes.  The creatures used in the film only had to work and hold up for a couple of shots as the camera caught them on film forever.  At HHN, props have to be built to work over and over again without fail; thousands of times.  That poses a very real issue when design teams ponder what can and cannot be feasible and realistic from their end.  To do The Thing the way Murdy would want it done would come with substantial cost to Universal.  And while Murdy acknowledges that their sister park in Orlando did do a Thing maze, it is clear that the way he would want it done here in California - isn't practical at this point in time. '

I’m so glad he finally got The Shining, it was such a good maze. 

1 hour ago, Grindhousehero13 said:

The only thing is idk about the strangers Universal does not have the rights anymore outside a cameo if we do a horror movie themed SZ I don’t we will see them 

also the thing i wouldn’t count while murdy is around things that are low rated the year that they represented he tends to never go back so Silent Hill, scream, The Thing, etc  cuz they were not the number 1 spot they are in limbo. Silent Hill was the reason we didn’t do Resident Evil when Orlando did but if we did a classic maze a year would be cool 

Also political stuff won’t stop Cult here in LA if it didn’t stop the purge it’s not gonna stop Cult 

Idk after the whole Bill and Ted thing I feel like Hollywood’s been more conservative. Asylum is the most highly requested season of AHS for Horror Nights and if they don’t do it, it leaves us with Cult and Coven. Coven could be a good maze, but Murdy sounds like he reallllyyy wants to do Asylum

2 hours ago, wow said:

I’m so glad he finally got The Shining, it was such a good maze. 

Idk after the whole Bill and Ted thing I feel like Hollywood’s been more conservative. Asylum is the most highly requested season of AHS for Horror Nights and if they don’t do it, it leaves us with Cult and Coven. Coven could be a good maze, but Murdy sounds like he reallllyyy wants to do Asylum

It was more a liberal reason for Bill and Ted. Vice; the website that posted the original article is SUPER liberal and the reason is the joke in question was homophobic. Plus again in last year they did Purge election year which is anti-conservative in way and they did have a skeleton trump on New York street. I can see Asylum maze and cult terror tram

3 hours ago, themazethinker said:

Uuhhhh you do know Murdy did do a thing Maze here in California right? 

9D713048-0463-479A-A0B8-34A9F57CC36E.png

The reason I said don’t count on the thing is the General public kinda shitted all over when Murdy did it. Either not knowing what the thing was, hating the prequel or the fact that at time people only wanted Freddy, Jason, or Saw repeated over and over could of been the reason but the maze was awesome in my opinion also I just realized how old I’m getting this was 2011 ahhhhhhh

On 10/28/2017 at 8:18 PM, Grindhousehero13 said:

It was more a liberal reason for Bill and Ted. Vice; the website that posted the original article is SUPER liberal and the reason is the joke in question was homophobic. Plus again in last year they did Purge election year which is anti-conservative in way and they did have a skeleton trump on New York street. I can see Asylum maze and cult terror tram

Uuhhhh you do know Murdy did do a thing Maze here in California right? 

9D713048-0463-479A-A0B8-34A9F57CC36E.png

The reason I said don’t count on the thing is the General public kinda shitted all over when Murdy did it. Either not knowing what the thing was, hating the prequel or the fact that at time people only wanted Freddy, Jason, or Saw repeated over and over could of been the reason but the maze was awesome in my opinion also I just realized how old I’m getting this was 2011 ahhhhhhh

Ugh I missed 2011 and I really wanna see The Thing as a maze. Such a good property, I’m surprised the original version hasn’t been adapted yet as it fits the “dark horse” or “classic maze” that every year seems to have

1 hour ago, wow said:

Ugh I missed 2011 and I really wanna see The Thing as a maze. Such a good property, I’m surprised the original version hasn’t been adapted yet as it fits the “dark horse” or “classic maze” that every year seems to have

It was a good maze it’s sad how much gp shitted on it even the YouTube videos don’t do it justice

42 minutes ago, HHNManics said:

- Blumhouse's Halloween

- Original Maze/ Chupacabra?

That's my tid bit of thoughts.

Even if just a SZ they need to do chupacabra something hell any cryptid 

also so is Blumhouse doing the new Halloween? 

So here we go on scare zones 

we need SZ back big time at least on the lower lot and French street

also a Bigfoot scarezone would be badass

If Halloween Returns does come to HHN 2018 it's either gonna be part of a possible Horrors of Blumhouse Vol. 2 house or have it's own solo maze like Insidious.

Trick r Treat is a no brainer as this point! If it comes it's definitely gonna be a shared IP.

I know Stephen King doesn't want his books featured in haunts, but after the success of the Shining in HHN and the Neibolt House Attraction in Hollywood I don't think an IT maze is entirely impossible.

I think after what happened behind the scenes this year(TOT replacing Conjuring, Evil Dead being changed into the Starz TV show, etc.) I think John Murdy has finally learned that he needs to make original mazes again so he won't have to worry about losing the rights to certain IPs.

The Thing seems also likely this year since Murdy has a "classic horror movie" streak(The Exorcist, The Shining).

In my honest opinion I think this year's AHS maze will feature Coven and Cult cuz it's obvious that John really wants to do Asylum justice by giving it a solo maze in the future.

Here's a bunch of other IPs and OG concepts that I personally want to see in 2018:

Stranger Things

Killer Klowns from Outer Space(I wouldn't mind seeing this in 3D)

The Conjuring

Evil Dead: Dead by Dawn

Army of Darkness

A Living Dead maze based on any of George A. Romero's films

Original Hollywood Harry Maze

Classic Universal Monsters Mashup

The Return of La Llarona 

The final installment of the Alice Cooper trilogy

Original Urban Inferno maze 

I also suggest better scare zone decor with more scare actors, make the strobe lights and Dubstep tunnel a maze location if possible, have more variety with the scares, and please please please...No. More. Black Walls!

• Like 1

For Terror Tram, I feel like it would be cool not to have an overall theme, with the same character or group of characters taking over the entire terror tram, but to have individual sets of characters that fit the different areas of the sets. For example, you'd have Norman Bates at the Bates Motel. Then a different set of characters at the War of the Worlds plane. I think they've done something like this before where it's different throughout, but I think it would be great to seen done again. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Grindhousehero13 said:

Pretty sure Thing won’t but so far the thoughts are

Stranger Things 

It 

Halloween

AHS 

The only thing about IT that might prevent it from coming is the sequel comes out in 2019; it all depends on if John wants to do it 2 years in a row.

On 11/1/2017 at 8:34 AM, wow said:

The only thing about IT that might prevent it from coming is the sequel comes out in 2019; it all depends on if John wants to do it 2 years in a row.

True.... but if hopefully the hype train is strong enough i mean look at walking dead hype was so strong it became part of the park lol 

• Haha 1

I know everyone loves Stranger Things, myself included, but really, a maze? I just think there's nowhere near enough content. Then again, This Is The End happened, so who knows haha. I'll just say I don't want it. I personally don't think it would work.

Anyway, I'll give up my hopes on TrT because Murdy specifically said the sequel needs to come out. That also outs Hellraiser because he wants the remake. And for whatever reason, every time someone suggests The Ring, he just says "we don't own the rights to that." Um, no duh, you don't own the rights to 85% of the properties you do, so what gives?!

IT: Chapter 1

Resident Evil (based on games)

Carpenter's The Thing

The Conjuring Universe

Blumhouse's Halloween

Evil Dead original (but highly doubt because of AvED's failure)

AHS: Asylum or Cult (I really think ONE property at a time works)

and last

but not least

for the love of GOD

please

it is absolutely time

for

SCREAM

If Murdy leaves then maybe an Original and some previously blacklisted IP’s might happen next year, that said here’s what I think Hollywood is most likely getting:

- IT

- Conjuring 

- AHS Asylum

- Some sort of Dark Horse property(TrT, Evil Dead, Strangers)

- Blumhouse’s Halloween

- The Walking Dead

- Original 

- The Thing

Edited by wow

This is what I think for HHN 28 Orlando...

American Horror Story: Cult- Soundstage 22

Stranger Things- Soundstage 23

Nightingales: Never Dead- Soundstage 24B
Psychoscareapy: Insanity Rises- Soundstage 24A

Saws 'N Steam: Taken Alive- MIB Tent/Tent 3

Blumhouse's Halloween- Sprung Tent 2

Children of the Corn- Sprung Tent 1

H.R. Bloodengutz Presents 3D Horrordays- Shrek 4D Theater #2

The Thing- Shrek 4D Main Theater

What I was thinking is that next year, they can close Shrek 4D and use both theaters for houses, then when HHN ends, begin work on the 1st theater to turn it into a Kung Fu Panda show, but still be able to use the 2nd theater as a house location!

Years Attended- HHN XXV, HHN XXVI, HHN XXVII

• Like 1

With the loss of Terror Tram, we could possibly have 9-11 houses; however after this year I think they’ll be conservative in over using the budget. Additionally, 2018 will most likely be a fan service year due to 2017 underperforming. With that, I see our lineup being:

- IT: JP Queue

- AHS Asylum: FDTD Area

- The Conjuring: Waterworld Queue

- Stranger Things: 747 Queue

- The Thing: Mummy Queue

- Blumhouse’s Halloween: Parisian Courtyard

- Trick R Treat: Metro Sets

2 minutes ago, wow said:

We’re most likely getting an Original this year due to Murdy leaving

I have a theory that he is leaving physically but will still have a role in the development of 2018. I don't think the event would turn out well if he just up and left and passed the torch to a newbie lol