HHN 27 Speculation

hhnfan95

53 minutes ago, criticalanalysis said:

I hope AoV does NOT come back.

Care to elaborate? I didn't attend last year but it seems like the majority enjoyed the show. What didn't you like about it? Anything you'd like to see in its place?

On 11/22/2016 at 9:57 AM, hunnylvr said:

9.  What was the year where they had the scareactors on the bungees in the streets where Chance's scarezone was this year?  I'd love to see something like that again.  Scareactors on bungees are amazingly effective.  At HOS this year, one of them came flying out of the trees and scared me so badly, it took my breath away.  I don't scare easily, so that's saying something.  When was the last time HHN had scareactors on bungees?  Gothic?  Or was there something after that I'm forgetting?

10.  American Horror Story - yes please.  However they want to do it.  Asylum in 27, Coven in 28, Roanoke in 29?  I don't care as long as they do it.  I loved AHS this year - it was the highlight for me, hands down, don't even have to think about it.

9. Halloween Horror Nights 18: Reflections of Fear back in 2008 was when they had scareactors on bungees in that area. It was for their scarezone "Path of the Wicked" (Wizard of Oz) and the scareactors on bungees were meant to be the flying monkeys! In my opinion, HHN18 had pretty solid scarezones (Path of the Wicked, Asylum in Wonderland, The skoolhouse, Fractured Tales, American Gothic, and Street of Blood) and they certainly gave off that Halloween feel (especially with all the pumpkins in the trees in the CP area and the Skoolhouse scarezone definitely was strongly inspired by Trick r Treat as well! 

10. Thank you for speaking so highly of the AHS house this year (I was a scareactor in that house and hearing people talk about how much they enjoyed it makes me happy!). I'm kind of hoping the do one big house with the remaining seasons and part of me low key wants to get casted in that house again.... 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Brandon_Voorhees said:

Yeah, Asylum only had mutants, Satan, lunatics, aliens, axe murders, Pepper...

That's the reason why it shouldn't be part of a three season house like last year. Give Asylum and Coven (a season without many horror elements) a combo house. Roanoke however has so much to pull from it can easily be a mega house. With season 7 currently going down a very strange path, it might be a season they have to skip next year if things get to political. The question comes down to, do they split up the seasons to milk it for another year or do they attempt to jam three seasons into one house again? If they decide to split them, do they do Roanoke this year since it was the most recent or do they save it for next year? 

8 hours ago, criticalanalysis said:

I hope AoV does NOT come back.

I am curious to hear why you don't want it back. It was a highlight of each night for me. Heck, some nights I would watch it twice on purpose and other nights if I was heading past it and the show was going on, I would always stop and watch the rest of it. During the 8 nights I went, I probably watched AoV from start to finish 10 times (13-14 if you count partial shows) but I only saw the "HHN staple" Bill and Ted twice because it was simply not good.  

This is my first time here since last years event and just read through this whole thread. Here's a house list prediction I have come up with, some personal biases and wishes in there,  but also trying to be realistic about it. 

1. AHS (seasons 2,3, and 6)

2. Bates Motel/Psycho ( I'm a huge fan of the show Bates Motel and would love to see version specific to that if they can, but if not I'd settle for a classic Psycho house which I never got to see when they've done it before) 

3. Either The Shining or a house based on upcoming show Castle Rock ( http://screencrush.com/stephen-king-castle-rock-hulu-anthology-details/

4. The Conjuring

5. Trick R Treat 

6. Cindy house (aka icon house. I want Cindy to have her chance to shine as the main icon as she almost has several times) 

7. Nightingales 2? 

8 & 9. Something original, I don't have any ideas myself

Edited by ScottEdmondson41
  • Like 2

To the two folks who asked why I don't like AoV - I think it's beyond cheesy, does not add whatsoever to the horror atmosphere, and encapsulates the type of event it is compared to how it used to be. I'm wholly against adding a huge stage show like that - the budget should go to improving the sets/decor of the park outside of scare zones during HHN.

25 minutes ago, criticalanalysis said:

To the two folks who asked why I don't like AoV - I think it's beyond cheesy, does not add whatsoever to the horror atmosphere, and encapsulates the type of event it is compared to how it used to be. I'm wholly against adding a huge stage show like that - the budget should go to improving the sets/decor of the park outside of scare zones during HHN.

It's a different generation. A different era. This event is not for tailored to us. Or, more specifically, to those who want creepy park atmosphere, super immersive experiences, and a full out theme. It's about party atmosphere, selling to the widest audience, and selling alcohol... Which all means money. 

The event still has appealing aspects in various degrees but, it just isn't going to sit in a holding pattern. If you want it to change, change the people who pay because that is the only way things change. As that won't happen, you either change or move on. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, JDW said:

It's a different generation. A different era. This event is not for tailored to us. Or, more specifically, to those who want creepy park atmosphere, super immersive experiences, and a full out theme. It's about party atmosphere, selling to the widest audience, and selling alcohol... Which all means money. 

The event still has appealing aspects in various degrees but, it just isn't going to sit in a holding pattern. If you want it to change, change the people who pay because that is the only way things change. As that won't happen, you either change or move on. 

Translation: HHN would still be great if it wasn't for today's dope-smoking, gender-confused, snowflake kids!  Now git off my lawn!

I am old enough to totally agree with this.  

The following is totally off-topic, but related to JDW's comment.  Ignore if you like, but it's interesting if you have kids:

I have twins.  My 14-year old son is scared of haunted houses.  Barely made it through Walking Dead attraction in Hollywood.  My 14-year old daughter?  LOVES the haunts.  We just went to a local haunt three days ago that had a one night special run in March.  SHE researched it; I had no idea they were even opening the house for a night.  Last year was her first time at Knotts and she's begging me to take her to HHN this year.  

What is really interesting is that she doesn't watch any horror movies.  She has no idea who Chucky, Freddy, Jason, Red Faced Demon, Annabelle, Carrie, Regan, the Alien (or the Predator) are.  To her, the true face of horror is having no phone data for the weekend.  So I think her reactions in a maze are about as pure as you can get.  She's been through the local haunt (Reign of Terror) about 6 times now and still insists on holding my hand even though she now knows what's coming up next.  As a father who knows Daddy's Little Girl will too soon be grown up, I cherish this and wish I could freeze time to keep her this age.

While I'd love to think she loves haunts just to spend time with dad, it will be so interesting to watch her evolution - will she become a next-gen me and love haunts for the rest of her life?  Or will she outgrow it?  Or will it become nothing more than an excuse to party when she goes just with her friends?  

And in 20 years when she is mind-tapped in the Matrix, will she be complaining about how "today's" haunts are nowhere near as good as when she was a kid?

• Like 2

HA! I hear you! Mine is three so still way too young.

To be clear, I've got no hate for HHN at all. My decision to not go largely boils down price and time. I'm very limited in what haunts I can go to in the haunt season now so I'm starting to just branch out and do the things I enjoy most. Smaller, more intimate haunts are my deal now. Plus I like to include my child so also more family friendly festivities as well. Just the seasons of life is all.

I'm still curious to see what comes down the pipe this year for HHN and if someone threw me a free pass I wouldn't turn it down (unless I just couldn't swing it). But it is what it is. 

I can relate to Critical to some degree... But life and things change. Best to adapt or move on. If I were to go I'd just ignore the things I don't like as there is no good in complaining about it. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2017 at 8:14 PM, Badge said:

I have a feeling with AHS, we will get a Coven and Asylum year and then a Roanoke year. Coven doesn't have enough content to be a full house and I feel the same about Asylum. Roanoke has more than enough content to be a massive house all by itself. I wouldn't be surprised if Roanoke is this year since its the most recent season as well.

Obviously we will find out but I am still betting on HHN to give Asylum it's own house this year, there is plenty material I think to run a long house. Also with Roanoke getting mostly negative reviews and most people last year I heard clamoring for Asylum's turn at HHN I would think they would want to go for Asylum. So yea I am betting to run the AHS train as long as possible and do Asylum this year, Coven next and Roanoke the year after. Also I do think Coven can be it's own house I mean the Exorcist which had very little variety/material to be a house did it so I can't see why Coven couldn't be it's own house too. 

20 hours ago, JDW said:

HA! I hear you! Mine is three so still way too young.

To be clear, I've got no hate for HHN at all. My decision to not go largely boils down price and time. I'm very limited in what haunts I can go to in the haunt season now so I'm starting to just branch out and do the things I enjoy most. Smaller, more intimate haunts are my deal now. Plus I like to include my child so also more family friendly festivities as well. Just the seasons of life is all.

I'm still curious to see what comes down the pipe this year for HHN and if someone threw me a free pass I wouldn't turn it down (unless I just couldn't swing it). But it is what it is. 

I can relate to Critical to some degree... But life and things change. Best to adapt or move on. If I were to go I'd just ignore the things I don't like as there is no good in complaining about it. 

Ah, I remember when mine were three.

So I expect we will be seeing some reviews of Disney's Halloween party coming from you in the coming years, along with some lively speculation threads theorizing locations of next year's Trick or Treat stations.

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 7:21 PM, _Veritas_ said:

I'd actually disagree. Last years house devoted about 6-7 scenes/rooms per season.

Asylum: asylum facade and/or present day asylum with present day Bloody Face, Woods w/ monsters, death tunnel with aliens, exorcism room, main rec room, Bloody Face's torture room, Sister Jude's office during Christmas

Coven: morgue during resurrection, Madame LaLaurie's torture chamber, outside house during zombie attack, inside house with Axe Man and/or board room attack by Axe Man, general voodoo ceremony and/or Papa Legba room

I will agree that Roanoke def could fill its own entire house, but that I look for Uni to combine seasons 2,3, and 6 like they did last year. 

I agree with you, I feel that Coven and Asylum have quite a few parts that could be awesome in a maze.

I have yet to see Roanoke so I cant give my full opinion but from what I've heard it definitely could be its own house. I would be okay for them all to be in one house but I could see them do two seasons this year and two seasons next year since the new season is said to come out Fall 2017. I am a huge fan of the series and would love to see it at Horror Nights for awhile. Just a thought.

20 hours ago, zombieman said:

Ah, I remember when mine were three.

So I expect we will be seeing some reviews of Disney's Halloween party coming from you in the coming years, along with some lively speculation threads theorizing locations of next year's Trick or Treat stations.

NO I did MNSS last year... I will not be doing it again. Waaay overpriced. 

Bummed I didn't make it out to the lights on tour of Shallow Grave though. She was hyped about it (she's a weird 3 year year old) but my brakes and rotors went. 

Honestly not sure what this year holds for me. I guess it's a big surprise. Definitely not PLANNING on HHN or even HOS. But who knows where the buffalo chips will fall. 

1 hour ago, thenemesisproject said:

I'm not sure if anybody has mentioned it yet, but New Line Cinemas is producing the remake of Stephen King's IT which comes out in September. Seeing how Universal likes to have a good relationship with New Line it only seems reasonable that there would be a house based on that IP.

I would absolutely DIE if this were true.  Been wanting King at HHN forever.. he just hasn't wanted to do it.  There is a video somewhere on YouTube of me directly asking him about it and him skirting the question.  Not sure why he's been so uncomfortable and hesitant about it.  HHN would ROCK his stuff!

On 3/10/2017 at 1:46 PM, hunnylvr said:

I would absolutely DIE if this were true.  Been wanting King at HHN forever.. he just hasn't wanted to do it.  There is a video somewhere on YouTube of me directly asking him about it and him skirting the question.  Not sure why he's been so uncomfortable and hesitant about it.  HHN would ROCK his stuff!

To be fair, King's work hasn't had the most clean transition to screen.  The only three stories with good adaptations are The Shining, Carrie, and IT, and King hated the former.

20 hours ago, b-wolf95 said:

To be fair, King's work hasn't had the most clean transition to screen.  The only three stories with good adaptations are The Shining, Carrie, and IT, and King hated the former.

Which sucks because The Shining is one of my favorite horror/thriller films of all time, up there with Alien.

I would kill for an IT themed house though. That's a good thought about the movie coming up in September. I'll keep a mental note and see if anything pops up.

21 hours ago, b-wolf95 said:

Completely wrong.

The Shining was NOT a "good adaptation" which is why King hated it. I loved Jack in it, but the movie completely missed the point of the book.

IT also NOT a "good adaptation".  Loved Tim Curry as Pennywise, but the rest of the movie was WAY over-edited to "fit" into a mini-series format.  Screw the mini-series as it used to be.  Now we have Netflix and Hulu, and something like IT could've been made into an epic two or three season series on one of those without all the editing and G rating.  That book deserves SO MUCH MORE along with an R rating to do it justice

Carrie was great

However, you forgot the actual BEST King movies:

Shawshank Redemption

Stand by Me

Misery

The Green Mile

Dolores Claiborne (not hyped but an awesome movie)

Apt Pupil

The Dead Zone

Firestarter

Creepshow

Salem's Lot

The Running Man

• Like 1

So far we only have 2 code words to work off for Orlando right?

Checkmate and Brains...

It definitely makes sense that Checkmate could be a King reference. This seems especially possible considering the 1st part of the It reboot is going to be released in September. If they are using King though, I'd prefer seeing The Shining brought to life. That was one of the few movies that actually gave me the creeps when I was a child. The only issue I see with using it is that one of the scariest/creepiest characters are those 2 little girls that appear throughout the film. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't remember seeing too many child scare actors being used at HHN. 

As far as BRAINS goes... I'd love it if they brought Return of the Living Dead to HHN as long as TWD got the boot this year. If you get past the goofy parts where the zombies are chanting brains that movie had was kinda scary. I remember thinking as a kid, holy crap zombies that can run and now they can't be killed with head shots. Not only that, if you burn them, the gases released in the air blends in the atmosphere and causes showers that in turn continually reanimate the dead. What a disaster! For anyone who is into the zombie genre and hasn't seen this movie, you really should make an effort to check it out. Even though it's old, it still is better than most of the crap they put out nowadays. Realistically though, they couldn't possibly use a clue that would be that easy to solve. Anyone have any good acronym guesses for BRAINS?

So other than American Horror Story probably coming back, no other rumors are floating around? I know it's still early, but I already booked my flight, hotel, and rental car so it would be nice to get some more code names or clues to get me more excited for the upcoming trip.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hunnylvr said:

Completely wrong.

The Shining was NOT a "good adaptation" which is why King hated it. I loved Jack in it, but the movie completely missed the point of the book.

IT also NOT a "good adaptation".  Loved Tim Curry as Pennywise, but the rest of the movie was WAY over-edited to "fit" into a mini-series format.  Screw the mini-series as it used to be.  Now we have Netflix and Hulu, and something like IT could've been made into an epic two or three season series on one of those without all the editing and G rating.  That book deserves SO MUCH MORE along with an R rating to do it justice

Carrie was great

However, you forgot the actual BEST King movies:

Shawshank Redemption

Stand by Me

Misery

The Green Mile

Dolores Claiborne (not hyped but an awesome movie)

Apt Pupil

The Dead Zone

Firestarter

Creepshow

Salem's Lot

The Running Man

As a native of the great town of Kittery, Maine - you know it as where they're burning the bodies during the talkshow scene in THE STAND - you forgot THINNER, which won an Oscar for makeup effects, gave you Joseph Bologna chewing all the scenery you wanted as the funniest mafia goombah in film history, and was partially filmed in Kittery, mere miles from the house that made me. 

Edited by Guest

15 hours ago, RevFreako said:

As a native of the great town of Kittery, Maine - you know it as where they're burning the bodies during the talkshow scene in THE STAND - you forgot THINNER, which won an Oscar for makeup effects, gave you Joseph Bologna chewing all the scenery you wanted as the funniest mafia goombah in film history, and was partially filmed in Kittery, mere miles from the house that made me. 

The Stand is my favorite King book (tied with IT).  I purposely didn't mention The Stand - because, again, epic book edited down to a crappy mini-series.  Deserved SO MUCH MORE.

.. and I hated Thinner.   I know, I am picky bitch.. but King has been "my guy" since I was 10 (I"ll be 50 this year.. jesus christ, where does the time go?).  

On 3/6/2017 at 4:41 PM, JDW said:

Very true, however, I think these past couple of years have lured in the big "party crowds" and therefore they will pay to go to HHN no matter what the event will offer. So, still offer the AHS, TWD type haunts, but start bringing original back more and more, year by year and you'll be able to most audiences. It's like the film Cabin in the Woods. They showed a trailer with blood, guts, girls and monsters to bring in the goobers that just love that stuff, but it was directed by Joss Whedon, which is mostly a totally different audience. You got a quality mind-f*** horror movie with all of the trappings of gore-porn.

That's my opinion on what they should do with the event.

• Like 2

• Gambit pinned this topic
  • Mark M. locked and unpinned this topic