Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion

28 minutes ago, faceleg said:

Cool! Where on the internet is this, if I may ask. 

Its on the main website but SUPER hard to catch and take a picture of. In that rotating selection of announcements on the homepage, the Chance one towards the end will flash/flicker this image in place of the Chance that is there. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Badge said:

Its on the main website but SUPER hard to catch and take a picture of. In that rotating selection of announcements on the homepage, the Chance one towards the end will flash/flicker this image in place of the Chance that is there. 

Yep! I do wish they'd let people get a better look at the asylum costume, but it definitely seems like they're going with the more colorful side on all the marketing that's out there at the moment. 

• Like 1

I'm fairly excited for Chance as an icon, but it may be more due to my fondness for Harley Quinn, and that I just seem to enjoy the female icons. I'm weird I know. I didn't hate Lady Luck, but definitely feel she was underused. And I'm still kicking myself for missing Bloody Mary, but that was literally my first year going to Universal solo, and it was just too much to take in all at once, so I went earlier in September. Oh well.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, faceleg said:

I'm fairly excited for Chance as an icon, but it may be more due to my fondness for Harley Quinn, and that I just seem to enjoy the female icons. I'm weird I know. I didn't hate Lady Luck, but definitely feel she was underused. And I'm still kicking myself for missing Bloody Mary, but that was literally my first year going to Universal solo, and it was just too much to take in all at once, so I went earlier in September. Oh well.

I just like female clowns in general so I'm all for giving Chance a Chance.  Ah man Bloody Mary was one of the best years!

• Like 3

So they may announce AHS next Thurs. or Friday and Krampus last (ip)? It would definitely make sense for the AHS announcement to take place at SDCC. 

I can't believe how long they're waiting to announce Krampus over in Hollywood. The whole house is probably built by now.

Edited by ThNdIzNiR

Mike confirmed that in Orlando they have 4 hours totally finished. Audio, lighting, scenic, etc are all done. He did say one of those 4 might not be 100% finished with audio but that it is the last thing it needs. I doubt the 4 that are finished are only the things they have announced. 

With both Kong and SF opening this week, I don't expect an announcement. Still have 2 more IP houses and most likely an IP SZ to announce before the full reveal. Should be one a week from here on out I would suspect. 

The Founding Fathers bus, the truck from the facade of AvP, and the Shadybrook police car from PS Unleashed are all backstage (and were visible from next to Blue Man Group during TNA the other day). Do with that what you will. (I would love to see the SB police car in front of Chance's house, presuming the facade is Shadybrook, but I think it's more likely it's re-skinned and put in NY).

Krampus is by far the lowest profile of any IP being announced on either coast,(if it's a thing). It's not gonna be one to draw in massive crowds (unless strong word of mouth generates attraction, a la AWiL 2013), so it really doesn't matter when that one's announced. Hollywood still has some big ones to announce, and we have one more. Murdy hinted that we may see an announcement within the next week or so, but that's out of his and Aiello's hands. Good possibility they announce AHS (if it's a thing) next week, but it also wouldn't surprise me if they waited till August for the final big reveal, as they apparently want the most attention. 

And since it eases the ADD side of my brain, my guesses for SS queue placement:

Next to DM: Exorcist (where SS22 entered when SS25 was in use)

Rockit Stage: megahouse (This has to be in SS25. SS21 is currently being used to film some iteration of The Voice and isn't necessary, as they won't use the ENTIRE thing like they could with 25. This is where the queue for the only house put in 25 was [TWD])

Right side of the Rockit stage: TWD (this one should be interesting with the Fallon construction. It's doable, but I'm guessing all 4 SSs will be sharing an exit again out of necessity, like 2013)

NY Facade: unnanounced original *cough*Ghost Town*cough*

The only house location that is seemingly up in the air is Chance and Krampus. Krampus can be done in a tent despite what some may think, as Hollywood almost exclusively utilizes tents, and did so for AWiL, which featured puppets. The coldness is a pipe dream. They did that literally once. I'm willing to bet Chance is in Shrek.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, foREVer56 said:

Krampus can be done in a tent despite what some may think, as Hollywood almost exclusively utilizes tents, and did so for AWiL, which featured puppets. The coldness is a pipe dream. They did that literally once. I'm willing to bet Chance is in Shrek.

Can it be done in a tent, sure... Will it suck if they do, yes. The coldness is a huge part of the movie. Maybe they only used cold 1 time because there really wasn't a need for them to, it's not like there were many (if any) houses that required it like this would. If they chose to use a tent for this 1, I'll be pretty disappointed. 

Edited by ThNdIzNiR

2 hours ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

Can it be done in a tent, sure... Will it suck if they do, yes. The coldness is a huge part of the movie. Maybe they only used cold 1 time because there really wasn't a need for them to, it's not like there were many (if any) houses that required it like this would. If they chose to use a tent for this 1, I'll be pretty disappointed. 

I don't think it's fair to say a house will suck just because of where it might be located, nor do I think it's a fair criticism to say the house will suck just because it won't be cold. Body Collectors had snow in it's facade and even that wasn't cold. It's not necessary for a good house.

We know Exorcist, TWD, the megahouse, and an original are occupying the SSs. Unless it's in Shrek(which I'll admit is possible), only option left is the new location.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

If you can go to a themepark, with 10s of thousands of other people, wait in line for an hour, and then walk through a house bumping and grinding the person both in front and behind you in a conga line and that somehow keeps you "in the zone" and the temperature, in Florida, "takes you out of the experience" you have issues.

Sorry, but this argument makes me laugh every single year.  Like you'd be able to think you're in a fantasy land, in a blizzard, isolated and alone, and unable to escape...with thousands of other guests, employees with flashlights, and bright red EXIT signs...but it's the fact that it's 82 degrees in the maze versus 70 degrees that makes it "suck".

• Like 8

Even Winter's Night, which was effectively cold, wasn't scary due to the cold. Did it add to the atmosphere, yes, but even without the cold it still would have been a great house cause it was just really well done.

And honestly, out of all the things in Krampus, the cold is the last thing I think of when I recall it.

Edited by faceleg

3 hours ago, Oysterhead00 said:

If you can go to a themepark, with 10s of thousands of other people, wait in line for an hour, and then walk through a house bumping and grinding the person both in front and behind you in a conga line and that somehow keeps you "in the zone" and the temperature, in Florida, "takes you out of the experience" you have issues.

Sorry, but this argument makes me laugh every single year.  Like you'd be able to think you're in a fantasy land, in a blizzard, isolated and alone, and unable to escape...with thousands of other guests, employees with flashlights, and bright red EXIT signs...but it's the fact that it's 82 degrees in the maze versus 70 degrees that makes it "suck".

2 hours ago, faceleg said:

Even Winter's Night, which was effectively cold, wasn't scary due to the cold. Did it add to the atmosphere, yes, but even without the cold it still would have been a great house cause it was just really well done.

Nothing there keeps me "in the zone" and I don't attend the event to get scared. I go there to see how well they execute sets, makeups, costumes, etc. I want to see how well they can take an ip and in essence bring it to life. I also enjoy seeing what type of creative designs they come up with in regards to original material and how they attempt to pull off the various scares. It's funny that Winter's Night was brought up because the opening area was one of the areas that was more memorable than many others over the years and that was in part because of the cooler temperature and the snow effect that was falling. There is no way the opening would have been as effective outside a tent. Clearly the cold or snow doesn't make it scarier, but like it was mentioned, it added to the atmosphere which is the main reason I attend. With that said, putting Krampus in a tent would be foolish. The whole movie pretty much takes place in a blizzard. It is 1 of the key elements of the movie. Why bother doing an ip like that if they're not going to do it right? The only way it could get any worse is if they dress up scare actors as gingerbread men. 

Unless they erected a fake snowglobe that was 100 feet wide and 100 feet tall and encased the whole tent.  That would be one hell of a facade :)

I agree it shouldn't be in a tent...but I would also agree that no house should be, but something has to give.  Regarding the temperature, if they were to make the SS be 15 degrees where it's uncomfortable and you're literally freezing and feeling like the characters in the movie, that would be one thing...but to just make it slightly cooler seems like a waste of money.  I'd rather have them spend on the props and costumes, instead of an electric bill that air conditions a huge soundstage.  The fake snow falling is a must.

Of course, this is IF we even get the house.  That's still TBD.

• Like 1

Adding cold (especially when it's real warm outside) adds a whole additional layer of quality to the walkthrough. If they keep it the same temperature even with all the fake snow, which I'm sure will be present, we'll be missing out on a whole sense's worth of feedback.   In my opinion, it would seem pretty weak. It would be like walking through the baby crib area of Dollhouse of the Damned (HHN 24) and them not using the fake poop smell. They have the technology, so they mine as well use it optimally. If they don't have enough common sense to make it cooler for an ip house that takes place in a blizzard, I'll be a bit stunned. It's not like it has to be 100 below zero... As long as the temperature dips enough from the outside to the inside it may be enough to trick you that it's cold since the drop took place so fast. When you get all sweaty from walking around outside and then walk into a room that is blowing cool air on you it seems even colder. Add a bunch of fake snow blowing on top of that and then you may feel like you're in a snowstorm. 

I wonder how much snow machine liquid they're going to burn through and if it will only be snowing at the facade or if we'll be snowed on in a few spots throughout the house (assuming any of this even happens at all)... 

One more comment about the temperature and being in the zone... Personally I'd prefer it if the event was held somewhere up where I live. Walking around in 80+ temperatures during a Halloween event just seems off to me in general. I prefer cool evenings in the 50's and low 60's with the autumn leaves blowing in the wind. You guys don't even get a real fall.  So yeah, I'm biased when it comes to temperatures.

Edited by ThNdIzNiR
  • Like 2