Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion

56 minutes ago, Tobias said:

While people would like if it's in a soundstage and cold, it's best accepting that's probably not gonna' happen. An' to be fair, how many houses with a winter/arctic theme were actually cold? I don't recall hearing Psychoscareapy: Home for the Holidays or 2011's Thing were cold. Cold Blind Terror sure as heck wasn't since nothing in that house fit the name. The last house I can remember hearing being cold was Winter's Night in SS 22. An' the Exorcist is going in that one, where I think we can all agree that bedroom needs to be cold since it's a distinctive element of the movie.

The priority for Krampus is the creature effects/puppets, much more so then the overall temperature of the house. Yes, it would be nice if it was cold. But the one place that can be legitimately cold is already taken for a IP that honestly needs it a lot more. (That and Hollywood's Krampus ain't going to be cold either, they don't have a SS this year.)

Exactly one house. Winter's night. Yeah you don't need it to be cold but look at the costumes in the movie and then look at a MIB tent and the Florida temps. That could be a serious health risk. If it is in a tent (and I genuinely am not 100% sure it is or even if 100% happening) I would hope large AC units would be involved. It can be done the question is will it?

3 hours ago, Jediwhit82 said:

I personally don't like all of this newfound talk of "the megahouse" If there isn't something that justifies it, I would rather see that much put into making every house a bit better. Or even better, I think a mega scare zone that runes New York to Siagon Alley would be much more interesting.

It isn't hard to connect the dots on what the mega house is. Whether it's worth it is a matter of opinion and remains to be seen.

There is this odd precedent lately of making new ideas... and then Universal seemingly feeling they can't go backwards. But that isn't sustainable unless they stop "one-uppping" each year. 9 houses, mega house, classic movies, heavy hitting IPs, etc. all of that can't keep progressing upwards forever. I'm in the boat that states less is sometimes more. Spread yourself too thin and you have lots of quantity but suffer quality. I'm guessing they will probably plateau in house numbers now with 9 being the norm for some time. They have to have enough crowd eaters to keep the event manageable. But I guess it remains to be seen what happens when they've done all the crowd drawing IPs what happens next. Will they endlessly rehash them? Already we seem to be trending with a "2 year reboot" where they are rebooting an IP from just two years prior (AWIL last year and Halloween this year). While I have no problem with H2, it seems like a worrisome trend. By that logic I would expect the purge or FVJ back next year, and then one of this years back the next... and it soon becomes a house of mirrors where all IPs have been rebooted at least once.

But this is all hypothetical. I am curious to see where the next few years will take HHN.

• Like 4

As of right now I feel Krampus doesn't fit into either location. It's to big a house for tent but not big enough for the megahouse. Although if the Chance house isn't in Shrek and is instead located in MIB then I could see Krampus fitting in there. Hopefully we'll get another announcement in about a week or so.

5 hours ago, Jediwhit82 said:

I personally don't like all of this newfound talk of "the megahouse" If there isn't something that justifies it, I would rather see that much put into making every house a bit better. Or even better, I think a mega scare zone that runes New York to Siagon Alley would be much more interesting.

It's been confirmed by Mike that there will be an ubermaze/megahouse

image.jpg

I don't know why I'm having so much trouble believing that AHS is the megahouse. It just seems wrong to me  that an ip that has been dipping in popularity is going to have the largest house in HHN history. For the life of me though, I can't really think of any ip worth that kind of treatment that isn't already being used or has just been used to an extent last year. Like I think I said a while back, the only other weak picks I could come up with would be Tales From the Crypt or Hellraiser. There definitely is enough Hellraiser material to build a megahouse, but I just don't see it and Tales From the Crypt is probably not popular enough anyways to the younger crowds. I guess it has to be AHS. 

Think about it... Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, The Exorcist, and The Walking Dead weren't chosen to be made into this megahouse. What is going to draw more crowds than those ips? Nothing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

Think about it... Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, The Exorcist, and The Walking Dead weren't chosen to be made into this megahouse. What is going to draw more crowds than those ips? Nothing.

AHS, as much as it pains me to say (because I've never been a fan). Classic horror movies bring in a certain clientele but AHS is modern and popular with a wide swath of the population. It will bring in 10 fold more people... No, not really. I can't back that up. But it will bring more people than typical.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JDW said:

AHS, as much as it pains me to say (because I've never been a fan). Classic horror movies bring in a certain clientele but AHS is modern and popular with a wide swath of the population. It will bring in 10 fold more people... No, not really. I can't back that up. But it will bring more people than typical.

Well... I suppose that if they made TWD into another megahouse this year there might have been riots, but it still has more of a fan base than AHS.

I think people are over reacting the term "megahouse" or "uberhouse".   Before it's meant more rooms or more scareactors so it could mean anything...and it's pretty much here to stay.  It might be mega because it has the biggest facade ever...or it has the most puppets ever...or is 300 sq ft bigger...or has a section with a second floor...whatever.  The super mega uber mondo extravaganza house is here to stay.  Whatever record they choose to one up each year is fine by me and it really doesn't matter which house it is.

My guess would be AHS if that's coming (I have yet to watch a second of the show) and it will probably be 2 rooms per season or whatever bringing it up to 12 rooms which is 2 more than usual and therefor "uber".  But nothing major.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

I don't know why I'm having so much trouble believing that AHS is the megahouse. It just seems wrong to me  that an ip that has been dipping in popularity is going to have the largest house in HHN history.

I'm not a fan of the show (watched most of two seasons), or using the IP as a megahouse, but the fact that Creative kept trying for 3 years to get AHS shows they must be big fans. I think it does potentially pull--or at least cater to--nontraditional HHN fans. It's fanbase may be declining but it's still rabid and not necessarily, say, Conjuring fans who were going to show up anyway.  Also, a lot of the iconography and creature design on the show could make for a great house. Jack never bothered me, but the clown in Season 4 is the scariest clown I've ever seen.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of AHS... I just can't understand why it would be the theoretical ip centerpiece this year. 

Well, if I recall right, egos were the hindrance in the past three years.  I can imagine, for it to happen, they would have to get top billing. Problem is, already signed TWD contracts for top billing. This also kind of makes sense with why TWD was so downplayed an announcement. If true, they would both need top billing and probably would need the same spotlight. I would imagine, and I'd could be very wrong, that when/if AHS comes to pass they would announce both officially at the same time with art work and advertisement.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JDW said:

This also kind of makes sense with why TWD was so downplayed an announcement.

How about that announcement? It was almost comical how little effort and excitement there was behind it. It was kinda like, psssstt... hey TWD is coming back, that is all, carry on.

• Like 3

I kinda like the idea of maybe looking at the "uber house" as something different. Has it been confirmed that the Uber/Mega house is the longest one in history or that it is just considered a Uber/Mega house? 

If they haven't said longest ever, Krampus could easily be the Uber/Mega house. The amount of puppet work alone is going to be insane...by far the biggest number of puppets in a house. The costumes also have to be insane to design and construct. It will also need a large facade and ideally and large "outdoor" section as well. Everything about Krampus was big so giving it a Uber/Mega name attachment works. I still don't think people understand that the only CGI element of that movie was the little gingerbread men. All the other monsters were physical costumes that took hundreds of hours to build and a ton of time each day to put on. That giant Jack in the Box had THREE people inside of it to pull off the effects. The evil "elfs" all had names and specific elements in their design that made them all different and fit with their name. Even if all the elements didn't come together to tell an outstanding story (I personally loved it), you have to give credit to the creators for not taking the cheap way out and making everything, including Krampus, CGI because it could have been a LOT worse. It is, by far, the most anti-CGI and technically challenging horror movie in a VERY long time. 

• Like 2

Hi everyone. I thought this was the most appropriate place to post this question. If there's somewhere else, please feel free to let me know. 

In past years, when we've had an icon, the houses sort of followed along with the icon's back story, right? Most specifically The Usher and all of the movie houses, etc. 

That being said, we've gotten a pretty solid Chance backstory with her two personalities/mental points of views and the whole "Theater of the Mind" take, including the theming on the website. 

My question is, how are the houses announced so far connected to her story? I think that once we figure that out, it might give us a more clear path to what houses we can expect next. 

Maybe I'm just off base. 

...discuss

Edited by RustySomebody

To add to my above post.....

It seems that the website has excluded TWD from any sort of possible 'theming' as they aren't in the rotating pics of the houses. 

So, let's examine the main characters in each house

The Exorcist- Reagan

TCM- Leatherface

Halloween 2- Michael

And then there's Chance and her house

Are we able to say that each character has 2 sides/personalities? Idk. Again, just adding to my question to try to figure out what's next.

8 minutes ago, RustySomebody said:

It seems that the website has excluded TWD from any sort of possible 'theming' as they aren't in the rotating pics of the houses. 

The Exorcist- Reagan

TCM- Leatherface

Halloween 2- Michael

Are we able to say that each character has 2 sides/personalities? Idk. Again, just adding to my question to try to figure out what's next.

While I appreciate your enthusiasm, the general consensus around here is that the event doesn't go that far in depth anymore.

51 minutes ago, RustySomebody said:

The Exorcist- Reagan

TCM- Leatherface

Halloween 2- Michael

42 minutes ago, N i c k said:

While I appreciate your enthusiasm, the general consensus around here is that the event doesn't go that far in depth anymore.

Yeah, I hate to echo N i c k here, as I miss the days when things tied together, but I believe he is right.

Even the year of The Usher, the houses mostly connected by simple "They all played at the theatre at one point" logic.  I have to imagine the houses this year are going to be favorites of Chance's that she imagines during her incarceration or that are playing in her theatre of the mind.  Beyond that, I do not expect much.

Now if there were more originals, I might expect some sort of thematic connection or tie to a backstory.

Edited by Cooger and Dark

My guess is that they are going to tie them to Chance in a way. After all, nearly all of the event is taking place inside Chances head. Everything we see in the streets, shows and all all houses outside of HER house, is stuff from her mind. So, in a way, they could easily tie things together. Maybe Chance is terrified of the Exorcist so her fear manifests itself in the form of a house based on the movie that she hated as a child. Maybe she made a connection with Leatherface back when she was first introduced to the world since they were together in the same year and she is remembering the fun she had back in 2007 with him so that brings that house out of her mind. 

You have to remember, these are some extremely creative people. They set up a perfect scenario to be able to easily tie everything to Chance in some form without it sounding super cheesy like the Usher "All the movies played there at some point" scenario. The brain/mind is a twisted place and what we experience as a child (or even an adult) alters our brain. When your so mentally unstable like she is, the oddest and most bizarre things you can imagine seem real and when your tossed in an asylum, all you can do is sit in your padded cell and let your mind wander even more. 

On 7/8/2016 at 7:39 PM, Badge said:

Are we for sure that Chance is going in Shrek and TWD is in a SS? I would rather them put TWD in the new tent (lets them work out and test a new location with a property they are sick of working with and know fans don't want anyway) and stick Krampus in a soundstage. Is the showstage that can be chilled already taken? That would be ideal for Krampus.

Also, I could see them changing the line setup a bit this year. I could see the old Twister line (C on the map) going to where Body Collectors was last year (D on the map). Then move D back where RUN was last year and just go left behind the Mummy. Two reasons for this:

1) Twister (and the area around it) is very much an active construction site and so they can't have people in it. They can't cram both line (4 in total) into D's location either and it can't go near the old bathrooms because of the line requirements of another house using that path. 

2) With no house for a LONG stretch of road, that area will see a lot less foot traffic and everything else will feel busier. This gets a house entrance in an empty area to help draw people back there. With no rides from Mummy until Gringotts, that is a lot of empty space. It looks like they could make it work with a fairly clear shot back to the soundstage areas running behind Mummy with the only big issue being the train tracks above. 

On 7/8/2016 at 7:39 PM, Badge said:

Are we for sure that Chance is going in Shrek and TWD is in a SS? I would rather them put TWD in the new tent (lets them work out and test a new location with a property they are sick of working with and know fans don't want anyway) and stick Krampus in a soundstage. Is the showstage that can be chilled already taken? That would be ideal for Krampus.

Also, I could see them changing the line setup a bit this year. I could see the old Twister line (C on the map) going to where Body Collectors was last year (D on the map). Then move D back where RUN was last year and just go left behind the Mummy. Two reasons for this:

1) Twister (and the area around it) is very much an active construction site and so they can't have people in it. They can't cram both line (4 in total) into D's location either and it can't go near the old bathrooms because of the line requirements of another house using that path. 

2) With no house for a LONG stretch of road, that area will see a lot less foot traffic and everything else will feel busier. This gets a house entrance in an empty area to help draw people back there. With no rides from Mummy until Gringotts, that is a lot of empty space. It looks like they could make it work with a fairly clear shot back to the soundstage areas running behind Mummy with the only big issue being the train tracks above. 

Are some of you really still going around in circles with the whole "we are the fans, hear us roar" , and TWD is yucky yucky garbage?  Jesus some things just never change.  You so called 'fans" barely make up a 10 percent and that's being super extra generous.  Be happy and chew on the scraps they give you as a "fan" and move on bro,.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ghostdude said:

Are some of you really still going around in circles with the whole "we are the fans, hear us roar" , and TWD is yucky yucky garbage?  Jesus some things just never change.  You so called 'fans" barely make up a 10 percent and that's being super extra generous.  Be happy and chew on the scraps they give you as a "fan" and move on bro,.

Not sure what I said in what you quoted that required that kind of response...

It's no secret that most people, not just "fans", are sick of TWD being a maze. Just hang out at the exit to the maze and listen to the general public's reaction. Heard tons of normal guests talk about how bad it was last year. The lack of any real promotion on Universal part proves this...they are sick of it too! So, saying that they should use a property people are sick of to get the feel for a new house location just makes sense. Give the new IP's that they are marketing the better locations. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Badge said:

Not sure what I said in what you quoted that required that kind of response...

It's no secret that most people, not just "fans", are sick of TWD being a maze. Just hang out at the exit to the maze and listen to the general public's reaction. Heard tons of normal guests talk about how bad it was last year. The lack of any real promotion on Universal part proves this...they are sick of it too! So, saying that they should use a property people are sick of to get the feel for a new house location just makes sense. Give the new IP's that they are marketing the better locations. 

I personally could care less if TWD stays or goes, but for you to speak and advertise as a fact that all people are "sick" of it's just dumb on your part becausr wait times say something different from what your saying, and i'm sure that smarks like you have a conspiracy theory for that as well.  The point is that you can kick and scream all you want, thry will put houses whereever they see fit, end of story.  I doubt they're losing sleep over what you two lil cents are.  That's all I have to say.