Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion

12 minutes ago, hunnylvr said:

I adore this post.  I feel the same way.  There are some really good local haunts in the Chicago area that we make sure to hit up every year.  Even though we enjoy them, much of what is in these haunts are recycled from previous years.  Cost is a HUGE factor.   I know the guy who runs one of the biggest houses in the area (Statesville Haunted Prison), and I know he drops a lot of money trying to add new things each year and changing SOME rooms.  But no one has a Universal budget.  While I LOVE the Halloween season in general (we pretty much start celebrating after Labor Day), it's Halloween Horror Nights that I anxiously wait for.  It's the only event for which I keep a countdown app on my phone.  As much as I loathe TWD, I don't even care about that coming back anymore.  It's like the annoying sibling at Christmas - you just learn to ignore.   It is what it is.  I can choose to skip it.  I still have 8 other houses and awesome scare zones to see!  There is no other haunt that gives me the same feeling - the immersion in all of it , the jaw-dropping talent of the people who create the event, the care and passion that is put into it.  It's beautiful, and I love it.  I realize I am lucky that I can afford to do this event, and I don't mean to sound like a pompous ass when I say the money doesn't matter to me.  But it really doesn't.  If I had to, I'd cut out a ton of stuff to make sure I made this event every year.  Nothing can ever be perfect, but HHN sure comes close.

Haha, oh Statesville :P

Yeah. Not to beat a dead horse but I feel like HHN fans have been spoiled in a way. And I get the being upset over not always getting 100% new stuff, but as others have pointed out it's more than most haunts get to do. The heartbreaking thing is when you talk to other haunt owners about what they'd like to do and they always get this glint in there eye and a distant look before they start saying "well, I wish I could tear it down and build something new next year" and so on, but they can't. After spending thousands of dollars on animatronics and sets they just can't. I worked a haunt in Rock Island during my college years and every year the owners shared their dreams of wanting to tear it down and start from scratch... but it never happened. Money and manpower is what it came down to.

• Like 2

Even though they are IPs. They are never the same the next year. Yeah AWIL was brought back but... that was after it was torn down. They still had to rebuild it. We are also taking about the company that build two, identical, mirror image houses in 2005... just to show off.

It's probably safe to say they have a bigger budgets than some countries.

• Like 4

I do get where everyone is coming from on HHN costs and all that.  It's true that those of us that live here and have attended for many years will take things more for granted than those of you who may attend once a year, travel from out of state, etc. HHN puts on an amazing event, no doubt.  But...they are not hurting for money.  They can afford everything and much more.  JDW is right, NBC/Comcast/Universal is no doubt a higher economy than several countries.

I've said it many times before on here: HHN bent me over years ago and I'm fine with that.  They give residents a great deal on HHN. Way better than Disney does.

Just IMO, I'll always push for them to take it next level because they can and have the resources to do so.  I just feel each year is a little more corporate, but that's life. I think WWHP changed the paradigm as HHN was the money maker prior to, maybe so far as to call it their Black Friday, but now they're cleaning up year round.

That, too, is my rant and the last of it.

As someone who travels out of state, I always compare my Universal costs with Disney. Universal blows Disney out of the water when it comes to price point for each of their Halloween events. I dropped around $75 for a single night of Not So Scary Halloween Party which is basically just the park doing their normally daily operations. They still do fireworks, just a different show. They still do a stage show, just different performance. They still do the nighttime parade, just a different version. The only extra cost to them is the "free" candy and a handful of extra characters. 

In comparison, I am getting 8 nights of HHN with SO many new things to experience including front of the line for around $300 or $37 a night. It's going to take some insane price hikes for me to stop visiting...like them dropping Rush of Fear. I just have to much fun and feel like I get my money's worth out of the event each night. It's nearly impossible to get 7-8 hours of entertainment for $37.  

• Like 2

Sorry for my budget rant before, I've been known to go down a "Celebrity Net Worth" Rabbit Hole at times and got carried away :)

So Hollywood is getting TCM too and it wasn't a dual announcement?  I honestly don't really pay attention to Hollywood...is this unique?  

7 minutes ago, Oysterhead00 said:

Sorry for my budget rant before, I've been known to go down a "Celebrity Net Worth" Rabbit Hole at times and got carried away :)

So Hollywood is getting TCM too and it wasn't a dual announcement?  I honestly don't really pay attention to Hollywood...is this unique?  

Well, it sounds like both FvJ and TCM are "originals" in the sense that they have been granted permission to create new stories for the characters. They have done both IP's way more than Orlando so they needed to do something different so will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

1 minute ago, Badge said:

Well, it sounds like both FvJ and TCM are "originals" in the sense that they have been granted permission to create new stories for the characters. They have done both IP's way more than Orlando so they needed to do something different so will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

AvP had two seperate storylines , but both were announced simultaneously. This is indeed a unique situation. My best guess is something was lost and TCM is a quick fix. 

24 minutes ago, mystiquephreeq said:

AvP had two seperate storylines , but both were announced simultaneously. This is indeed a unique situation. My best guess is something was lost and TCM is a quick fix. 

Plus their Halloween is "different" than ours and announced at the same time.  Maybe just the ending????  

Still, announcing a house at different times, even if only similar by name, seems a bit odd.

Might be why Legacy and Company are afraid to say anything is 100% as more things are still in flux than is usual.

9 minutes ago, Oysterhead00 said:

Plus their Halloween is "different" than ours and announced at the same time.  Maybe just the ending????  

Still, announcing a house at different times, even if only similar by name, seems a bit odd.

Might be why Legacy and Company are afraid to say anything is 100% as more things are still in flux than is usual.

All houses seem locked at this point but last year proved nothing is concrete until it is announced. Still, aside form the entire IP proposed list that was whittled down, there hasn't been really any surprises. I didn't know about Chance but I wasn't looking either. Others did though. The originals are always the last thing we find out but even those are pretty locked at this point.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mystiquephreeq said:

This is my best guess as well. It seems the plot they're building TCM on in Hollywood just started going up recently, while all other maze locations started construction quite some time ago. If it turns out we are indeed sharing Krampus and AHS, then it seems like they lost The Conjuring (if they ever had it), for whatever reason. 

Just a random Hollywood goer passing through, but I feel like I can shed some light. 

John Murdy has stated that no mazes have fallen through so we never had The Conjuring. He also said that he waited to announce TCM at this time on purpose. Just for the surprise that we have the New Line trio together again plus Michael Myers making it four of the biggest names in horror. 

On 7/7/2016 at 0:51 PM, faceleg said:

Yay, more crowds. Guess I better budget $300 for the ROF w/ express. Not that I'm not excited. The first Halloween house was very solid. And I have semi-high hopes for The Exorcist, mainly for the cerebral/psychological idea I believe I read they were going with.

Edit: per the blog post, we'll see Michael's "fiery end".......so live fire in a house again maybe?

Edited 55 minutes ago by faceleg

Like i've said numerous times, Murdy wouldn't turn down having the Big 4 plus The Exorcist & the two unannounced mazes this year. I do hope we get Conjuring next year as a share.  IP Fans are in heaven this year. 

Edited by SirOwenDisney

I know Murdy has never outright lied to the fan base, but when rights fall through, especially with entities they a currently contracted with, it's best not to make waves. 

It's business, and no matter how well we speculate, or what sources learn and leak, nothing is ever official until it is announced. They (Murdy or Mike) are never going to acknowledge issues in any official capacity with the business. That's what the HHNH Twitter account is (official). 

EDIT: I know there have been rights issue with The Conjuring franchise. Rights issues plague the Warrens. Ed and Lorraine spread themselves far and wide to profit. The issues they've dealt with in the past and some of their practices are questionable. Personally, I would prefer The Conjurimg franchise to remain as far away as possible from HHN (either coast). The Warrens do not deserve more money from profiting off of the misfortunes of others. Sometimes that profit has come without any permission from the famlies involved. 

• Like 3

Personally, even with lack of theming and such, The Conjuring just doesn't gel with the other announced houses. Even with our Walking Dead and potential IPs that could be coming in, all of the announcements thus far have been pre-1990. And Conjuring just doesn't bring a blendable aesthetic to the table for this year. Besides Exorcist and elements of Halloween, we're seeing a trend more towards the slasher/killer side of horror as opposed to the paranormal (and Exorcist has the visceral scares to match the physical violence of our other mazes). I don't know, I could just be rambling after three days of teaching at a drama camp, but to me, it makes sense that we wouldn't see it this year.

• Like 1

Thought of something that would be really cool for them to do with Chance. What if they changed the way the Shrek house queues so you enter where we exited last year and then exit and get dumped right into Hollywood which is Chances "theater of the mind" zone where she has broken out of the Asylum we just saw her in if we come from the house. Walk down the street and see her performing her stage show. That whole section of the park would be nothing but Chance and it would flow so well!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hhnfan95 said:

By the looks of the recent HHN Orlando snaps (hhnorlando) we may be getting The Green Inferno (or something island/cannibal themed)

He says its an Original house so we can knock out any IP. Do we have code names for all the Originals? I remember "requel" and "cobweb" but I can't think of the last one. Will have to do some digging into past houses to see if the very basic cannibal/island theme works. Could also be "cobweb" which are common in jungle settings. Hopefully we get some announcements soon! They are getting more active after doing nothing for a while.

• Like 1

Too bad it's an original...or else I'd be tempted to think it was Predator.  A Requelling...jungle...collecting skulls as trophies....new sequel in the works.

Edit:  Roanoke is the only house I can remember with a cannibal theme.  One of the weaker houses of recent memory, doubt they'd choose to do it.  The picture doesn't scream cannibal to me...but I didn't watch the snapchat to see it in context or anything.

Edited by Oysterhead00

7 minutes ago, Oysterhead00 said:

Too bad it's an original...or else I'd be tempted to think it was Predator.  A Requelling...jungle...collecting skulls as trophies....new sequel in the works.

Edit:  Roanoke is the only house I can remember with a cannibal theme.  One of the weaker houses of recent memory, doubt they'd choose to do it.  The picture doesn't scream cannibal to me...but I didn't watch the snapchat to see it in context or anything.

It wasn't much of a video. The pictures posted on here was basically all of it. The whole thing was about 50 secs long. It's not Roanoke. The only thing that gives off a cannibal feel to me is the fact that the skulls looks like they have been recently skinned and not sitting around rotting. It's still not known if it is "cobweb" or not because it hasn't been confirmed by anybody "official". Could very well be "requel" or the other Original for all we know.

16 hours ago, Oysterhead00 said:

I would love to see a Predator house based solely on Predators. Or a scare zone in Central Park(or even Jurassic park if they ever went back over)