Halloween Horror Nights 26 Wishful Thinking

Mark M.

On 2/13/2016 at 9:56 AM, criticalanalysis said:

I despise this. It sounds like Hollywood wanted an IP, they got it, and then management forced it on Orlando.

We don't always agree on IPs at the event, but that's EXACTLY what this sounds like. Mike's tone was "The team was handed this property today". Murdy's tone was "We got the the rights to an IP we wanted". It is my understanding that this is what happened with TWD last year. UOR wasn't gonna do it, but Murdy wanted it and they were forced to share it. Praying this doesn't happen again, as I'm personally not expecting TWD this year at all. Wouldn't be surprised to find out I'm wrong though.

Also, on the topic of how many houses, there's no reason why they can't still do 9. Twister being demo-ed doesn't affect queue line space to the point that they can't still do 4 SSs, and there's some usable locations for house #9. Curious George, E.T. extended queue, 2nd Parade house, 3rd Tent. They're not ideal, but definitely possible. MiB would be the most ideal, if they can make it so they're able to do it. I'm expecting 5 IPs 4 originals like last year. 

• Like 1

So, off the topic of houses, SZ's and IP's, now that we have confirmed dates of Sept 16th-Oct 31st, do you think they will still keep the Rush of Fear ticket that would be valid Sept 16th-Oct 2nd? I know tickets were a hot topic last year because of the shear amount of types of tickets that were offered and there was talk of some major ticketing system reworks this year. Booked my Cabana Bay stay this morning for Sept 22nd-Oct 3rd with the assumption that Rush of Fear will still be offered during that time frame so I was wonder what you guys thought about the ticket system might look like?

18 hours ago, foREVer56 said:

Mike's tone was "The team was handed this property today". Murdy's tone was "We got the the rights to an IP we wanted".

This was my exact thought when I first read it, but the USO tweet actually stated that a new maze was being rolled out to (design) teams.  So on second read, the tone came across differently.

Edited by zombieman

3 hours ago, zombieman said:

This was my exact thought when I first read it, but the USO tweet actually stated that a new maze was being rolled out to (design) teams.  So on second read, the tone came across differently.

Is that not the same thing?

I'm also curious why Hollywood IPs and Orlando doesn't enjoy them as much (not that I disagree).

Edited by criticalanalysis

7 hours ago, zombieman said:

I read "rolled out to design teams" as the IP was handed to them to make a maze out of. Could be totally wrong, but that's just how I read it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, criticalanalysis said:

Is that not the same thing?

I'm also curious why Hollywood IPs and Orlando doesn't enjoy them as much (not that I disagree).

People have asked Murdy "why IP-based?" countless times since HHN Hollywood began.. or re-began, technically and his answer is always "Because that's what makes us different and unique from the other haunts" and how, especially in Los Angeles where the Haunt market is massive, this helps HHN Hollywood stand out from everything else offered.

• Like 1

Knotts is very different.  Historically, their set quality has been Howl O Scream level.  but in the past few years, the new mazes (gotta call them mazes on the west coast) have been excellent quality - approaching Universal level.  Like HoS, Knotts is one of those places to visit once every 5 years, as they repeat.  So I think someone who has never been would be very impressed.  You should definitely do it, Ecto.  Make a weekend trip of it.

I never really bought the whole "Universal is movies" or "Universal uses IP to stand out" thing.  I think Murdy is huge on IP because he loves schmoozing with the celebs and loves IP.  If USH was to hire Michael Roddy or transfer Mike Aiello to Hollywood, I bet HHN-H could switch to all-original content and still sell out most nights.

2 hours ago, zombieman said:

Knotts is very different.  Historically, their set quality has been Howl O Scream level.  but in the past few years, the new mazes (gotta call them mazes on the west coast) have been excellent quality - approaching Universal level.  Like HoS, Knotts is one of those places to visit once every 5 years, as they repeat.  So I think someone who has never been would be very impressed.  You should definitely do it, Ecto.  Make a weekend trip of it.

I never really bought the whole "Universal is movies" or "Universal uses IP to stand out" thing.  I think Murdy is huge on IP because he loves schmoozing with the celebs and loves IP.  If USH was to hire Michael Roddy or transfer Mike Aiello to Hollywood, I bet HHN-H could switch to all-original content and still sell out most nights.

I've never actually been to HHNH or Knott's, but I must say their Paranormal maze last year looked utterly spectacular. I would almost compare HHNH's set quality to Howl-O-Scream's, which has gotten considerably better. AvP looked impressive, but other than that, I can't remember a maze from the last 5 years that had sets anywhere near on the level of even the mediocre Orlando houses. (Keep in mind this is based off videos of Hollywood, so not a completely fair judgement)

HHN on either coast are insanely popular. Would they stay popular without IPs? Absolutely. Would they stay AS popular without IPs? Absolutely not. Plenty of people come to HHN because it's always fun, but a lot come mainly for the IPs, and a very large majority of them wouldn't have even started coming if a certain IP wasn't there at some point. TWD is obviously the biggest one, and both events can attribute a LOT of their financial and attendance success to the IP. In a way, TWD was beneficial and harmful to the events. Is it time for it to finally move on? Doesn't look like it in Hollywood, but in Orlando? We'll likely know in a month or 2.

As someone who lives thirty minutes away from Knotts... oy.

Paranormal Inc. was spectacular. But there is such a lack of professionalism with Knotts. Every year, my Facebook feed is filled with girls complaining about sexual harassment/being groped in a sexual manner(as opposed to accidentally being touched) by scare actors. Not to mention their mazes are pretty lacking. (Again, this is just coming from someone who is used to Knotts so maybe I'm a little jaded.)

I go to Universal for the high caliber sets, the professionalism, and the ability to actually be scared rather than giggle through an entire maze. If I go to Scary Farm, it's because I found a really good discount and have nothing to do.

In a way I feel like that is was is missing from HHN. IPs have been around from the beginning so I really don't think they are to blame. Lately, at least IMO, it has lacked the grittiness it use to have. Not to the extent of sexual harassment, but the event has definitely been toned down. We use to push the boundaries. Unfortunately the event has gotten so big and popular that they can't push these boundaries due to safety and other factors. I miss the motorcyclist driving through the streets or the clowns in bumper cars from 07.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, FRlSKY PLATYPUS said:

In a way I feel like that is was is missing from HHN. IPs have been around from the beginning so I really don't think they are to blame. Lately, at least IMO, it has lacked the grittiness it use to have. Not to the extent of sexual harassment, but the event has definitely been toned down. We use to push the boundaries. Unfortunately the event has gotten so big and popular that they can't push these boundaries due to safety and other factors. I miss the motorcyclist driving through the streets or the clowns in bumper cars from 07.

If they could emulate the first half of Body Collectors from last year in every one of their houses I would be ecstatic. That is what I am looking for. Extremely memorable facade, good backstory, memorable music, time-specific yet beautiful set pieces, creativity, theatrics that HHN Orlando is known for, and uniqueness. 

You're right. The event isn't as gritty, though.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JDW said:

Hollywood indirectly confirmed no TWD (all IPS no reapeats) so maybe no twd

No "literal" repeats. That's too important to ignore, especially for them.

"Fear the Walking Dead," would be a new IP based on that criteria.

• Like 2