Halloween Horror Nights 26 Wishful Thinking

Mark M.

6 hours ago, Legacy said:

My original concept wishful thinking is in my profile, or posted in the Creative section of Nightmares.

That said, I still desperately want to see every aspect of Literary Terror (event based on books and literature), more stuff based on true events/places (Donner Party, Chernobyl, Island of Dolls), a house set in an airport, and "Mob Zombies" (prohibition/gangster zone or house).

I believe the best horror stems from twisting what you experience regularly. A house is more terrifying than a morgue. A restaurant is scarier than a train depot. I want to go through a house at HHN and then visit that same location on the way home so all the visceral "what was that?" nerves hit you again.

A Chernobyl based house would be amazing. There's endless creative potential with an idea like that. I would personally love to see it.

3 hours ago, BSC said:

A Chernobyl based house would be amazing. There's endless creative potential with an idea like that. I would personally love to see it.

Me too, especially if they picked "key scenes" like those from Call of Duty to make the video game people happy.  That ferriswheel is freaky as hell.  And the empty schools with debris all over the place are truely terrifying.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oysterhead00 said:

Chill out, it's WISHFUL thinking.  We aren't even to the speculation point yet.

Except the wishful thinking is what Universal is losing itself in by catering to it.

The IPs are what bring people in, so why is it shocking that people are focusing on them?  We always have like half IPs, so why are you surprised that people are speculating on them?  

Because the suggested IPs are terrible. There is no evidence the IPs made the event more popular, ever.

It's hard to anticipate something completely original and unknown, so if you're trying to be accurate it would make sense to focus on IPs that you MIGHT get right. 

Most IP houses I've gone to have their scares well known a mile in advance.

11 hours ago, criticalanalysis said:

Because the suggested IPs are terrible. There is no evidence the IPs made the event more popular, ever.

Most IP houses I've gone to have their scares well known a mile in advance.

1. That's straight up denial, dude. The fact that houses like FvJ, Insidious, Halloween etc. broke 120-180min waits every night, when none of the originals last year broke 90 min on the busiest of nights is clue enough (I know wait time doesn't usually refer to popularity, but in this case it does). A LOT of people started coming to the event when they saw TWD, and Silent Hill, and Cabin, AvP, Insidious, etc. on the billboards. The amount of merch sold due to the IPs is insane. And so on and so forth. To say there's no evidence proving IPs are making the event more popular is bullshit.

2. That's you. I get you found the event to be a lot better 04-10, and that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. But you have to remember a lot of us on here see houses a lot differently from the 14-34 year olds that go once a year, if that, and see 3-5 houses in a night. Half of them intoxicated or fully trashed on top of it. This is the crowd the IPs are for. These are the people that saw the "water effect" in TWD 4.0 and thought it was neat. Hell, these people made The Purge way more popular than it deserved to be. We are the .1% of HHN attendees, and chances are most of the event is going to be catered to the 99.9% of individuals who give them the most amount of profit.

That being said, last year did seem like they significantly tried to boost the scare factor in comparison to the last few years, and I commend them for it. 2014 was by far the least scariest year I've attended since 05, no matter how good the houses looked. Last year gave me some great scares, and a lot of people viewed Insidious as one of the most intense houses they've done ever (I don't agree, but I digress). 

I'm with you in wanting more original houses, and I mean ORIGINAL. Uncharted topics and such. But since it's so early, with nothing to speculate upon yet, all we can do is say what we would personally like to see, and give our best guesses as to what we might actually see.

• Like 6

I would love to see Bloodengutz back in some form, whether as the icon or just in a sequel house. Great character and a strong premise.

I know RUN went for the whole 80's thing this year, but I'd like to see something a little more overt. Maybe some kind of house set in an 80's arcade. Make it scary and fun and colorful, but not necessarily 3D. 

I'm not sure if HHN has ever touched on the Civil War, but thats something I think could be very intense. 

And this is really just wild wishful thinking here, but I would love to see Pink Floyd's The Wall made into a house. I know it would never happen, but I can't help but think about how amazing it could be. The animated segments of the movie have plenty of crazy looking characters to use, the soundtrack is already written, and I can't help but imagine how creepy it could be to walk down a hall made entirely of those iconic white bricks with that equally iconic riff playing on an endless loop. 

Again,this is just blind wishful thinking on my part. I think we all enjoy a little armchair imagineering once in a while. 

10 hours ago, Mels Oughta Be In Pictures said:

I would love to see Bloodengutz back in some form, whether as the icon or just in a sequel house. Great character and a strong premise.

I know RUN went for the whole 80's thing this year, but I'd like to see something a little more overt. Maybe some kind of house set in an 80's arcade. Make it scary and fun and colorful, but not necessarily 3D. 

I'm not sure if HHN has ever touched on the Civil War, but thats something I think could be very intense. 

And this is really just wild wishful thinking here, but I would love to see Pink Floyd's The Wall made into a house. I know it would never happen, but I can't help but think about how amazing it could be. The animated segments of the movie have plenty of crazy looking characters to use, the soundtrack is already written, and I can't help but imagine how creepy it could be to walk down a hall made entirely of those iconic white bricks with that equally iconic riff playing on an endless loop. 

Again,this is just blind wishful thinking on my part. I think we all enjoy a little armchair imagineering once in a while. 

Submit that to Murdy.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2016 at 6:13 PM, criticalanalysis said:

Good post.

Appreciate it :)

On 1/10/2016 at 11:22 PM, Mels Oughta Be In Pictures said:

1. I'd love a Nightingales Civil War house. And to my knowledge, the subject has not been touched.

2. YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES. I've wanted that for YEARS and Murdy has said he wants to do it, but the rights are tricky to obtain, as two separate parties own the music and the name. Roger Waters owns The Wall, but David Gilmore owns the rights to the name Pink Floyd. Maybe they would be able to simply call it "The Wall" based of the classic album from the 70's and not have to say Pink Floyd. They can call it whatever they want, it just needs to happen. Lol

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but what about an entire year based on legends from other countries? I believe Krampus is German, but what about Norwegian myths or some chupacabras from Spanish lore. Japan also has some crazy legends and absurd violence to go along with it. This could also bring the event back to HHN's less-IP driven roots and allow the creatives to flex their imagination muscles a little more. ALSO, Orlando is becoming such a culturally diverse city that it'd be easy to attract guests from different parts of the world to watch their hometown horrors come to life.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

After seeing Krampus, I would love to see a version of it come into HHN. I have always loved the idea of twisted holidays. I think one year they should just do the whole event around twisted holidays. Christmas, valentines, thanksgiving, etc as houses. For some holidays, they really need to twist it up but for smaller holidays, just have a basic timeline be during the holiday. So, they could do something with the Shadybrook inmates during July 4th or New Years Eve. Then the streets they could have some fun with. It would be really fun to see a twisted version of their already popular Mardi Gras event. A&D are a creative bunch, I'm sure they could come up with some fun, scary and demented twists to holidays. 

On 1/13/2016 at 3:08 PM, Badge said:

After seeing Krampus, I would love to see a version of it come into HHN. I have always loved the idea of twisted holidays. I think one year they should just do the whole event around twisted holidays. Christmas, valentines, thanksgiving, etc as houses. For some holidays, they really need to twist it up but for smaller holidays, just have a basic timeline be during the holiday. So, they could do something with the Shadybrook inmates during July 4th or New Years Eve. Then the streets they could have some fun with. It would be really fun to see a twisted version of their already popular Mardi Gras event. A&D are a creative bunch, I'm sure they could come up with some fun, scary and demented twists to holidays. 

They did do the Zombie/Mardi Gras scarezone a few years ago, but I thought it kind of missed the mark IMO. However, if they did an indoor/outdoor "Vampyr" type maze with it, that would be cool.

Edited by Ringwraith
  • Like 1

On 1/15/2016 at 10:25 AM, Ringwraith said:

They did do the Zombie/Mardi Gras scarezone a few years ago, but I thought it kind of missed the mark IMO. However, if they did an indoor/outdoor "Vampyr" type maze with it, that would be cool.

I think a lot of people felt like it missed the mark honestly. A lot of people loved Bloodengutz. Zombie Gras lacked IMO because of the zombies. Look at PyschoScareapy: Unleashed. It was very successful because the energy was high. Zombie Gras lacked the intensity.

I would absolutely LOVE a Krampus house. All the practical effects in the movie would transfer really well into a house.

They won't dare touch Scream again for at least 5 years, if ever. And maybe they'd think twice about using a Dimensions Films property.

TWD is just something we'll all have to get used to. I know some find it repetitive. I know it takes away the opportunity for Uni to make an original zombie based house like Dead Exposure.

I want them to continue the Legendary Truth & Urban Legend house series, as well as a sequel to Nightingales. A house based on modern, uncopyrighted creepypastas would be really scary.

Been good to step away and clear my head. If I get anything I can share I will. I don't actively look for it anymore but it falls in my lap sometimes.

I dropped my Universal passes. That frees up some money. As much as I hate it, I may go one time and get the dreaded express so I can report on it. I guess that's just where we are now. Kind of curious to see where they go after such a crazy big year.

would love a Krampus house. Just really enjoyed the movie. Other than that I don't even know. A lot of it feels pretty heavily treaded ground. Really looking for that new breakout horror trend to change the face of horror again. In fact I'm trying to do research on it for an article. Just an educated guess at where Horror is going (or should go)

• Like 3

On 11/19/2015 at 0:32 PM, _Veritas_ said:

I mean, I can tell you from experience that it defiantly does not go over well. The House of 1000 Corpses maze that is a part of Rob Zombie's Great American Nightmare received huge backlash the year I worked it  because of these vary reasons. It also didn't help that the Villa Park venue which housed the event is only a hop skip and a jump away from where the Gacy killings happened.

EXACTLY!!  Sorry, I'm just now catching up - and I read earlier in the thread that someone was asking for all Rob Zombie stuff.  Frankly, I think he's an asshole, and his stuff is just shite.  We had the misfortune of going thru his house at HHN Hollywood a few years ago, and I was like.. what's the point?  It was just one scene of gore after the other.  Then, when he did his "Great American Nightmare" right here in my backyard (I live in Chicago), and all the other guys I know from other haunts were having FITS over the Gacy thing, I was just gobsmacked.  I had no intention of going to his "house" as there are some very, very good ones in the Chicago area to spend my money on during the limited time I'm actually here (and not in Florida at HHN).  Rob Zombie is nothing but a poser.

That being said, it's very true that you need to consider the families of victims and such when talking about killers like this and whether to feature them in a haunt.  Those guys weren't "make-believe", and they affected the lives of many real people.  The real point is - many real people who are STILL AROUND.  That is the true caveat.  So to have them as subjects of a haunt is not only distasteful but completely, utterly fucked up and I wouldn't support anyone who did that.  There is a fine line between a good scare and going too far.  I'm not some high and mighty, over the top moralist.  I love going to as many haunts as possible.  But common sense and a little compassion go a long way.

<climbs off soap box>

• Like 2

Can someone tell me why Universal doesn't have any actors on the ground - those slider guys - like Howl-O-Scream does?  Honest to god, if I was making a true "wishful" list, this would be on it.  We went HOS, and the biggest scare I had was when a scareactor on stilts came walking up to me, so I, naturally, looked up at him, and this slider guy came flying up to me at my feet.  I literally almost peed myself.  I realize it's a simple trick, but it's very, very effective.  Is it because the crowds are too thick?  Or is there another reason?  I could see them working in the side streets in NY where they had the asylum people last year.

I agree 100% with the idea of creating some original content based on books.   I'm still beyond annoyed that Stephen King refuses to work with Universal (I've personally asked him about this on two different occasions, and both times, he skated around a real answer).  There is just so much more material that could be mined other than trolling the same mediocre horror movies.  While I LOVE horror movies, the problem with the genre itself is that only about one in six movies are any good.

For the love of god and everything holy, please let TWD actually be dead.  It's really just a joke now.  I can't believe for one second that they could justify doing it again.  THere is no way it could still be a driving factor in getting people to the event.  No way.

Critical Analysis... I thought Jack's house last year was awesome.  I thought they put a lot of time and thought into it, and it was a wonderful tribute to so many years of fear.  Also, Insidious had some GREAT scares if the timing was right and you had the right actors.  One of the brides in black changed it up a bit by crouching low just inside the "door" to the "chapel".  I was first in my group and pushed aside the curtain or whatever was hanging, and she popped straight up in my face from down low.  I thought my heart stopped.  I couldn't even yell or scream.. I was literally frozen to the spot for seconds.  It was one of the best scares I've ever gotten at HHN.  So, it's all subjective, isn't it?

I'm trying to think as to why sliders are absent at the event. First ting that comes to mind is the crowds, one wrong miscalculation and someone will knock people over like bowling pins, and they'll start lawsuits. Second thing I thought of was the surface of the ground. I believe it's mostly flat but aren't there a few areas where it's brick?

That being said, it's very true that you need to consider the families of victims and such when talking about killers like this and whether to feature them in a haunt.  Those guys weren't "make-believe", and they affected the lives of many real people.  The real point is - many real people who are STILL AROUND.  That is the true caveat.  So to have them as subjects of a haunt is not only distasteful but completely, utterly fucked up and I wouldn't support anyone who did that.  There is a fine line between a good scare and going too far.  I'm not some high and mighty, over the top moralist.  I love going to as many haunts as possible.  But common sense and a little compassion go a long way.

I don't agree with you whatsoever. You're catering to a very very tiny fraction of people. If they don't like it then they don't have to go. Your argument suggests NO serial killer movies should be made because they may upset some people. Toughen up.

On 1/23/2016 at 0:31 PM, criticalanalysis said:

I don't agree with you whatsoever. You're catering to a very very tiny fraction of people. If they don't like it then they don't have to go. Your argument suggests NO serial killer movies should be made because they may upset some people. Toughen up.

I wouldn't put it quite that roughly, but I agree. I feel for the families of people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time, but the Gacys and Dahmers and Mansons of this world are public figures, well within our rights to use as fodder for drama of any kind we choose. They've done how many movies about 9/11 now...?

On 1/23/2016 at 11:31 AM, criticalanalysis said:

Toughen up?  LOL!  That's hardly my issue.  Do you even know what kind of scene Rob Zombie put in his piece of shit house?  It wasn't "scary" - it was just OFFENSIVE.  There is a huge difference.  I'm not going to argue with you anymore about this as your opinions are clearly very defined and likely unmovable.  Frankly, I don't care enough to keep going.  You don't understand it, and that's fine.  You are correct about making the choice not to go - which is what I did along with a huge number of others in the haunt community.   Word gets around, and if Rob Zombie thinks it's "funny" to have an actor playing Gacy sitting on the couch with boy scouts, then I guess the rest of us can let him know what we think by not supporting him.  Maybe he'll pack his crap and leave.  I guess if sodomizing and murdering kids makes a good house for you - well have fun with that.

• Like 2