Halloween Horror Nights 26 Wishful Thinking

Mark M.

Although I will admit that is an interesting premise and will no doubt be absolutely chilling,  I don't know how I feel about glorifying these actual killers. That may just be me though,  since it's done all the time with people like Jack the Ripper, Vlad the Impaler, etc. So what do I know.

I agree. As much as I would like this, I highly doubt it would happen. The thing with using figures like Vlad the Impaler and Jack the Ripper is that their victims have no more close relatives at this point. The victims of sickos such as Bundy, Dahmer, and Gacy still have brothers, sisters, and even parents in some cases. It would be extremely distasteful and disrespectful to them to glorify these bastards in a maze.

On a lighter note, your profile picture is amazing, Boosaphus Rex.

• Like 3

I agree. As much as I would like this, I highly doubt it would happen. The thing with using figures like Vlad the Impaler and Jack the Ripper is that their victims have no more close relatives at this point. The victims of sickos such as Bundy, Dahmer, and Gacy still have brothers, sisters, and even parents in some cases. It would be extremely distasteful and disrespectful to them to glorify these bastards in a maze.

I mean, I can tell you from experience that it defiantly does not go over well. The House of 1000 Corpses maze that is a part of Rob Zombie's Great American Nightmare received huge backlash the year I worked it  because of these vary reasons. It also didn't help that the Villa Park venue which housed the event is only a hop skip and a jump away from where the Gacy killings happened.

• Like 3

Very well reasoned. People like Jack and Vlad are not of our time, and wouldn't nearly cause the kind of uproar as compared to the usage of more modern killers. Thanks for your response, I've been wondering about that for a while now.

I was actually gonna change it, but I think I'll keep it now. =)

• Like 1

Although I will admit that is an interesting premise and will no doubt be absolutely chilling,  I don't know how I feel about glorifying these actual killers. That may just be me though,  since it's done all the time with people like Jack the Ripper, Vlad the Impaler, etc. So what do I know.

I have to agree about it somewhat glorifying them for their crimes, so I'm iffy about it

Personally, I'm not so much offended by serial killers as I am doubtful of their entertainment value.  Generally speaking, they are average-looking people who commit crimes in banal settings.  A scarezone themed to Gacy's stomping grounds?  Believe me, I look at suburban Chicagoland every day and it is NOT visually compelling.  Nor would either rural or urban Wisconsin, as far as I can recall, be any more exciting.  I love historically-based houses, don't get me wrong, but it's best when history is just a jumping-off point.  Too much realism would spoil the magic, I think.

• Like 2

Personally, I'm not so much offended by serial killers as I am doubtful of their entertainment value.  Generally speaking, they are average-looking people who commit crimes in banal settings.  A scarezone themed to Gacy's stomping grounds?  Believe me, I look at suburban Chicagoland every day and it is NOT visually compelling.  Nor would either rural or urban Wisconsin, as far as I can recall, be any more exciting.  I love historically-based houses, don't get me wrong, but it's best when history is just a jumping-off point.  Too much realism would spoil the magic, I think.

You could increase the "fantasy" element of it a la House of 1000 Corpses' dark ride. If not, I do see your point that it could be too "plain."

Edited by criticalanalysis

So I have no idea what others might think...but what if they did violent cartoons? Have it similar to Ultra Violent Comics, but this time it's an out of control cartoon show featuring cartoon violence that wouldn't normally be gory or bloody. Could even open up for a new possible icon...

• Like 1

Though I agree to a certain extent with others who feel we had an awful lot of the classic Universal monsters this year and that it might be best not to see them again so soon, there's one thing I would love to see: Phantom of the Opera should get his own house.  I imagine that many don't find him all that frightening, but in the book and the Chaney film, he kills a LOT of people-- drowning, strangling, dropping a massive chandelier during a performance-- and ends with trapping the heroes in a mirrored torture chamber and nearly blowing up the opera house.  Also, he could appear masked, unmasked, and in his Red Death masquerade costume, so it wouldn't get monotonous.  The sets would be stunning, reminiscent of Nevermore and Gothic, and I could imagine many great theatrical effects suggested by the Phantom's skill with illusions and secret passages.  Ideally, they would bring back the Usher as the event icon and really utilize him properly, and this house, based on his favorite movie, would be a "feature presentation".  Maybe someday...

• Like 5

Though I agree to a certain extent with others who feel we had an awful lot of the classic Universal monsters this year and that it might be best not to see them again so soon, there's one thing I would love to see: Phantom of the Opera should get his own house.  I imagine that many don't find him all that frightening, but in the book and the Chaney film, he kills a LOT of people-- drowning, strangling, dropping a massive chandelier during a performance-- and ends with trapping the heroes in a mirrored torture chamber and nearly blowing up the opera house.  Also, he could appear masked, unmasked, and in his Red Death masquerade costume, so it wouldn't get monotonous.  The sets would be stunning, reminiscent of Nevermore and Gothic, and I could imagine many great theatrical effects suggested by the Phantom's skill with illusions and secret passages.  Ideally, they would bring back the Usher as the event icon and really utilize him properly, and this house, based on his favorite movie, would be a "feature presentation".  Maybe someday...

That would be awesome! 

So I have no idea what others might think...but what if they did violent cartoons? Have it similar to Ultra Violent Comics, but this time it's an out of control cartoon show featuring cartoon violence that wouldn't normally be gory or bloody. Could even open up for a new possible icon...

That would make an awesome comedy house! Maybe they could do some scenes in 3D and some not in 3D and make this the new "long maze" 

That would be awesome! 

That would make an awesome comedy house! Maybe they could do some scenes in 3D and some not in 3D and make this the new "long maze" 

rob zombie already did a 3Dcartoon house.

it wasn't that great ( not much different than asylum actually)

it could be cool but it is hard to translate cartoons into costumes (like I said, look at asylum) it would just look like people with funny masks on

see:

https://youtu.be/SJmKPNhJqZE

Edited by clash

Okay, full disclosure-- I thought OTHER people might get tired of classic monsters if we see them too often, and I don't want to hear the whining.  We can have 'em every year as far as I'm concerned, and I would LOVE for them to have a stronger presence in the park year-round (especially now that Beetlejuice is leaving).  Please forgive me!  I even have a Bride of Frankenstein tattoo!

• Like 3

rob zombie already did a 3Dcartoon house.

it wasn't that great ( not much different than asylum actually)

it could be cool but it is hard to translate cartoons into costumes (like I said, look at asylum) it would just look like people with funny masks on

see:

https://youtu.be/SJmKPNhJqZE

Universal can do waaaaaay better than this

eh.... Mmmmm... Not always.... Afterlife wasn't way better than that.

I mean, in all fairness, that vid felt like your typical 3d house at universal

true. Tbh, Afterlife was kind of a joke (just like Lady Luck). Then again, Jack's Funhouse from 2007 was pretty good for a 3D & who can forget The In Between

Can we just make HR Bloodngutz the icon of the entire event? 12 months in a year. 8 months = 8 holidays = 8 houses. 4 months = 4 holidays = 4 scare zones.

Up the quality of each considerably.

One show.

Roaming stuff.

Go down a house AND a show? LOLno

Scare Zones are tricky due to the Superstar Parade, not because they don't have the budget to make them bigger, imo. I had no problems with the zones this year outside of Die-In's location and cast size. Lack of props (noticeably in Screampunk and ICONS) is the only thing missing, and they still do what they can (movable props and stages in PS and ICONS, the giant Oz prop in screampunk). My wish is for them to stop the parade from Sept.-Nov., AKA the off season, because is it really THAT big of a draw? My guess is they use it to bring people back to the park as late as possible so they may end up eating dinner there/CityWalk, or maybe promote the characters to drive merch sales. Either way, I really wish they'd give it a break for HHN.

Going down in amount of offerings and capacity would be the stupidest thing they've ever done, regardless of how you think the quality of the event is right now. This year broke records in attendance, sales, and many areas of guest satisfaction. M&M, FvJ, and Body Collectors are some of their best work to date, and Insidious was a HUGE hit. The only houses that were reviewed negatively on the whole were RUN and TWD (which is gone, as far as I know). I think the quality of the houses and set design have done nothing but improve over the past 11 years I've attended. The only thing I think that needs to be upgraded is scare factor, and that definitely saw a boost over 24. Still needs some work, but they obviously tried to be scarier, and succeeded. 

The (realistic) event that I want in 2016 is USF only, 9 houses, 5 original/4 IP split. Zones in Pro. Cen., main NY, Sting Alley, Hollywood Blvd., and Central Park, with hordes in the rest of the dead areas of the park like this year. 3 shows; B&T, show on the stage in Mel's area, and a new one in AA. I'd love to see them bring over the Jabawokeez, Not because I have even the slightest interest in seeing them at all, but because it was wildly popular with the demographic HHN attracts in Hollywood, and it would be a great people eater. 

Edited by foREVer56
  • Like 2

I'd love to see The Evil Dead franchise return but in its original form with Ash. The remake lacked the imagination of the originals and so I feel the house suffered. With Ash vs the evil dead now on Starz I think it opens the door to a whole new fan base and could be a big seller for HHN and Uni. If they need IP houses to sell the event to the masses at least do something with both a mainstream and a cult following.

Though its already been touched on: I'd also love to see something more based in "reality" however it would have to be something that over time has spawned its own myths. I'd like to see Jack the Ripper or even Lizzy Borden. I think though both are true stories they are shrouded in enough mystery to make for some interesting houses. There are so many theories and legends about "what really happened" HHN could go wild with their own interpretation. Lizzy could demonic possession or even better a witch (due to her location so close to Salem). You could go beyond her original murders that way. As for the Ripper tie in the body collectors or use any of the rumors of who he was. 

In that same line of thought why not use some of the old penny dreadfuls as inspiration. I don't mean the show but the actual penny novels sold in the street in mid-Victorian Britain. Sweeney Todd (before he was a musical), Dick Turpin, Black Bess or Varney the Vampire.

With Stephan King's It getting a reboot that could be an interesting choice... But like someone mentioned earlier he won't let it happen (a girl can dream).

I'm also all for a burlesque style show with a horrific twist. 

Go down a house AND a show? LOLno

Doing so will allow for a greater budget to be put towards more expansive houses and more immersive scare zones.

Going down in amount of offerings and capacity would be the stupidest thing they've ever done, regardless of how you think the quality of the event is right now. This year broke records in attendance, sales, and many areas of guest satisfaction.

Are there any official figures on sales, attendance, and satisfaction? From what I know it's hearsay. This year would've been good regardless of what they put into the park. HHN has a name for itself.

M&M, FvJ, and Body Collectors are some of their best work to date, and Insidious was a HUGE hit.

M&M was overrated with very questionable scene choices/decisions. FvJ was inconsistent (weak second half). Insidious was too rushed with poor makeup. Body Collectors had a poor second half and should've kept the theme of the first half (plus STOP recycling stuff).

I think the quality of the houses and set design have done nothing but improve over the past 11 years I've attended.

All the houses felt way more compact and, I thought, less detailed than usual.

The only thing I think that needs to be upgraded is scare factor, and that definitely saw a boost over 24. Still needs some work, but they obviously tried to be scarier, and succeeded. 

Agree.

I'd love to see them bring over the Jabawokeez,

Wow, no.

• Like 2