HHN Hollywood 2014 Speculation

I think the game has changed given the success of American Werewolf in London last year at HHN 23. I can't stress enough how unlikely it is for Insidious to return.

I know Murdy will do it when he has a chance without a doubt. Exactly ferox like let's say you are a hardcore walking dead fan but live in a state where you don't even know what HHN is. TWD is promoting HHN so you will go since you are a dedicated fan but if TWD dint promote HHN you wouldn't know therefore universal losses money. Thus that is how marketing works kiddies.

In a way you are correct. Merchandising = Profit. They don't gain anything from Ticket prices alone. But Hollywood's event is geared towards locals, so they don't really lose anything by not attracting any outside demographic.

Edited by Zero56

Maybe The Exorcist is the appealing IP that's going in Parisian Square. As mentioned often, there's not a lot of source material to work from. What's there is good, but there's not a ton of it. Especially when the most iconic scene to be recreated is a little girl laying down in a bed. A condensed maze with a few really killer scenes could be a good use of the IP. The IP owners (whoever they are) wouldn't moan about not getting any promotion for the new project since there really isn't one to speak of.

I doubt the Exorcist (If it's coming) is going in Persian Square. Being that it's Murdy's holy grail of properties, I think he'd want to put it in the biggest venue possible (SS 747). Look at Alice Cooper Goes to Goes to Hell. If HoTC wasn't returning, I would imagine he would want to put Welcome to My Nightmare in the T2 venue. There's no way hes simply going to cram his Moby Dick of properties into one of the smallest venues. He's going to go all-out on it. I say it's either going to be Trick 'r Treat or Resident Evil going in there, the latter being more likely as it's more appealing to the GP.

If Insidious comes back, I just can't see them having three total repeats for the event, especially if TWD is the theme for the TT again. That's too much even for the GP. Everyone would be going "Hey, why is everything the same this year when everything least year was new?" What I could see them doing is ONLY having the Walking Dead return for the Terror Tram and not as a house. That seems like a more ideal situation than having more than half of the lineup be the same. It will suck all of the loyal TWD fans to the Terror Tram and leave more slots open for more properties. It would also solve the "variety issues" regarding the houses and all ow for Resident Evil...a time-sensitive property for this year.

Resident Evil...a time-sensitive property for this year.

Resident Evil 6 is technically in production hell. The new film isn't expected to come out until mid 2015 the earliest. I wouldn't hold my breath for it in Hollywood.

• Like 2

I think the game has changed given the success of American Werewolf in London last year at HHN 23. I can't stress enough how unlikely it is for Insidious to return.

In a way you are correct. Merchandising = Profit. They don't gain anything from Ticket prices alone. But Hollywood's event is geared towards locals, so they don't really lose anything by not attracting any outside demographic.

As much as I WANT to believe this, I have to disagree with this. Even if Murdy wished otherwise, the head honchos aren't going to care how successful a house was on the opposite side of the country, especially since the demographic is different. Believe me, even after going through AWiL twice last year on the East Coast, I still REALLY want it over here. It's my all-time favorite horror film and it was my favorite HHN maze ever. I think they'll favor the highest-rated maze in Hollywood's history over a highly successful house in Orlando.

If we're getting the Exorcist and Trick 'r Treat, I think Murdy would rather fund those houses for the creature effects and save AWiL for another year (Tenth anniversary?). Trick 'r Treat has werewolfs which would create a variety issue.

Really? I thought Orlando was the one that attracted the locals with their deals they have for Orlando residents. We don't have any deals for LA residents. But Orlando does have a UK website.

Really? I thought Orlando was the one that attracted the locals with their deals they have for Orlando residents. We don't have any deals for LA residents. But Orlando does have a UK website.

Hollywood = Small park with a gazillion neighborhoods. Orlando = destination with more sparse neighborhoods and a crap-ton of space.

Orlando also does a lot of original houses that aren't really based on anything like a band or popular myth. Murdy said that El Cucuy's low ratings were due to a lack of awareness. They are different events, and Murdy has said that AWIL's awareness is at the bottom of the heap.

Speaking of the whole "As long as Murdy has TWD the awareness of other mazes do not matter" mentality. Remember how a few people were let down by the supposedly leaked lineup, even though it had Exorcist and TRT? Other people feel the same way. The entire lineup has to be a draw, not just a few mazes.

I think Warner Brothers has the rights to Exorcist...not too sure but I wanna say they do, unless it's the same rights as the book.

As much as I would be happy about Exorcist I have a bad feeling we are not gonna see it this, not based on anything just a gut feeling.

You may be right, Grind. John Murdy has made mention recently on Twitter regarding the difficulty of trying to get the property. I would not think he would hold on to the rights of a property just to wait to produce a house "at the right time". He would have already used it for HHN since it is his dream maze. To play devil's advocate (pun intended), why should this year be any different?

Edited by AsylumSB

First time posting on this forum! I've been creeping for a couple of days and must say i'm quite excited for what this year could have in store! Will be my first time in the US, we land on the 29th of October and we'll be going on Halloween itself, I know its going to be crazy as far as lines etc are concerned, but coming all the way from aus, doesn't really worry me as it's going to be about the experience as a whole, being a horror film fan, in universal studios, on Halloween = excitement levels are quite high!

Can I ask though, and I realize this probably isn't the right place, but to be honest I cant find where else to post this: does Halloween night usually sell out and when can I expect to buy tickets (i'm very much considering the front of line passes as well) and can I ask a rough price range (ive heard around the 139 mark?).

thanks to whoever can give me some info, like I said i'm super excited for this event!

does Halloween night usually sell out and when can I expect to buy tickets (i'm very much considering the front of line passes as well) and can I ask a rough price range (ive heard around the 139 mark?).

That's about right. This year Halloween is on a Friday so I would put good money on it selling out, last year they tended to sell out the night of or around two nights before during the last three weeks or so. Make sure to check out the game planning thread that will pop close to the event so you can get the most out of your trip. HHN requires a lot of planning but with a bit of foresight you can enjoy all the event has to offer. Also, welcome!

• Like 1

thanks Ferox!! I'm hoping to just purchase the tickets as soon as I can, once they go on sale, I'd hate to miss out, as we pretty much only have that one night available (as we're doing Disneyland on the Thursday).

I plan on utilizing the forum and everyone's knowledge as much as possible, like you said, to get the most out of the night, as we want to do everything and try not to miss out on too much :)

for now, i'll keep enjoying everyone's reviews from last year!

I would buy my tickets as far ahead as possible I went the day after Halloween this past event it sold out online 2 weeks before and at the gate the day before I got lucky and negotiated the last few FOTL pass tickets but that had to be pure unadulterated luck. So if possible buy them the minute they go on sale. I will also be attending Halloween Night so have fun and welcome to the Forums from the staff :) !

• Like 1

Awesome!!

I'm definitely planning to purchase tickets as soon as able, and am I able to buy the FOTL passes online (am I right in guessing this would be the first type of pass that would 'sell out')

and I saw something about a VIP ticket, should this be something to consider too, or just value adding to a regular ticket?

I'm actually looking forward to planning it all as best we can!!

It's certainly worth considering if you are already buying plane tickets to the other side of the world...but I'm not sure what your budget is though.

ANYWAY. Back to spec.

With a Purge maze almost a sure thing and a backlot experience likely, I predict that the frontlot scarezone is going to be TWD. Have the walkers slowly shamble to the crowd and release the chainsaw carrying Terminus collective onto the walkers/crowd.

Since within the season the maze will be based on there's not much Terminus action, but since AMC will want to get people pumped up for more Terminus action having it be a major part of the event would be a good business move. Also, chainsaws would make sense within that context.

Edited by ferox
  • Like 1

I still think they should have had the front scare zone last year be Woodbury from TWD with chainsaw welding survivors and walkers and chains and have the governor being the barker. But not really on board for a Terminus scarezone but it wouldn't really bother me as long as TWD is not TT.

• Like 1

I could see them making the one dude that appears to be the leader of terminus the barker but yet again he is a new character we saw for like 10min so... but as long as theirs chainsaws and TWD is not on the tram I'm cool with it.

Ten minutes yes, but the most important ten minutes of the show at the moment. And since it's all about hyping up the new season, playing up the cliffhanger is good business.

Besides, cannibals with sharp objects=scary.

Apparently, Walking Dead is not returning to Orlando. Word on the street, from their thread, is that it will only be returning here in Hollywood's event in a "smaller capacity".

I know TTT was unreliable before he was forcibly let go, bet he posted seven images with the Walking Dead being hinted at one of them. If the above is true, I foresee Walking Dead only returning as the Terror Tram.

• Like 1