Bill & Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure 2013 [Reveiw]

Grindhousehero13

Ugh too far. No Stevie Nicks.

I can't say I'm not getting a kick out of the response so far. In my experience, the people who got the biggest kick out of "harmless" gay jokes and stereotypes were the people who would later rant about how being gay means that you aren't a real man or that it's Adam and Eve not Adam and STEVE. One of those "just jokes" would immediately be followed by sincere hatred just about all of the time. They also seemed pretty fond of saying "fairy." "I hate fairies" or "You're gonna die fairy." You know, like the "fairy dust" Superman was dusted with. It seems easy to say these are just jokes within the relative progressiveness of southern California, but go to the south and take note of how much they love gay jokes. Look how much glee (pun intended) is brought to them by the jokes, and compare that to what they start talking about when they are done joking around. You know that joke where Superman, being gay, grabs a 14 year old boy's ass? Not too long along there were "educational" films warning about how gay men are all sick perverts who want to rape little boys. No really, they told young boys to stay away from gay men because all queers want to rape you. If you want to say that we need to look at the jokes within "context" you should actually look at the context. Look at the society that creates the context for the jokes to make sense. If the joke was that Superman turned gay so he's a huge fan of Christopher Walken, nobody would laugh since that's not a stereotype that's accepted as truth by society. But Superman is gay so he molests teenage boys and is worthless when people need him gets an uproarious laughter. Why is that? Because that makes sense to the audience.

"@HorrorNights @UniStudios Given your high popularity wouldn't you think to add more capacity than to subtract so more people can attend?"

John Murdy himself appeared to acknowledge that HHN needs to have more attractions in order to handle the crowd capacity (Mazes,Shows,Etc).

Maybe it's time to bring back the old classic sheet maze from Halloween or the chain-link Fence maze from Stab-A-Thon?

Or Perhapse a Blood Drum Style Attraction even.

Last time I went to daytime Universal, they had added a bunch of cool little shows around the park. Nothing too big, just little things. We'll see what happens next year when construction settles down a bit.

If there's one thing they can learn from KSF, it's more shows. But you know, good ones.

Edited by ferox
  • Like 1

I've never seen the show...just doesn't interest me at all. I watched it online and it still didn't interest me much. I would rather have a horror centered show to be honest.

This is the same problem that plagues Orlando...

I have never truly enjoyed Bill and Ted and doing it sometimes almost feels like a chore, or doing something because every single other line is too long.

But I agree, I really don't understand how a company like UNIVERSAL cannot do some really awesome, amazing horror dance shows. This Baffles me.

You have a theme park and movie studio company and they cannot come up with a good halloween HORROR show for the crowds? It's like, Are you kidding me? I really don't get it. They cannot come up with some kind of dance and music Horror based show or something?

And besides that Bill and Ted is never even good so It really baffles me and sometimes it shocks me that there is such a lack of good shows on both parks....

I would even accept a version of Repo the Generic Opera. Or something... anything.

• Like 1

And besides that Bill and Ted is never even good so It really baffles me and sometimes it shocks me that there is such a lack of good shows on both parks....

I would even accept a version of Repo the Generic Opera. Or something... anything.

Bill and Teds last year was great in Hollwyood ! But I agree , most years are pretty lackluster.

• Like 1

I just wanna throw out that bill and Ted have made gay jokes before but it's rare one was that they could use jack sparrow so they used generic gay pirates and they end up defending Britney Spears (2007) then Edward Cullen accepting he was gay in 2009 but it did end up with Bill and Ted clapping then they bashed chick-fill-a being homophobic calling them a place of great evil built on intolerance last year idk wtf fuck happened new writers or they got too cocky but to say get rid of the whole show that is obviously loved is ridiculous if they have proven before they can clean up their mistakes

• Like 1

If the show was so stupid and poorly written (which it is), isn't it a little silly to let the aforementioned show get under your skin? Plus when given a disclaimer to leave if easily offended, you can't really blame someone else for something you subjected yourself to. It would be different if attendance at the show was mandatory with your ticket. That would be like drinking coffee with a warning stating "HOT coffee, possibility of burns" and being pissed off and suing because you got burnt (should have put that warning McDonalds). Regardless this is all speculation and nothing any of us says or does will have any effect on the outcome. The odds of Murdy or any higher ups at Universal changing their mind due to this forum let alone the possibility of any of them reading this forum are almost zero. It is a bummer, however, that the one show we had, for better or worse, is gone. Not condoning the offensive lazily written material, but suggesting that cancelling the show in response might have been a little heavy handed.

• Like 2

Murdy does read the forums he has said several time not that Bill and Ted are his call but we ar'nt the only one complaining a lot of people on Twitter are complaining. the GLAAD article which are the only ones being fair about the show are saying they are working with Universal so they dont get the same problem with "Future Bill & Ted"

Bill and Teds last year was great in Hollwyood ! But I agree , most years are pretty lackluster.

yeah,

I am just saying, I cannot understand how Uni can make all these great rides and they can make these cool haunted houses, a company that makes cool movies.

But they cannot make another good show for their halloween event based on Horror? I literally cannot compute this...

• Like 1

And GLAAD pointed out that NBC/Universal normally has (and I'd agree) fair representations of queer characters in their media.

El Cucuy added signs that warned that the story of El Cucuy involves children being killed and eaten. I think that was a good call. Let people know what they are getting into, because "we want to scare you" doesn't properly warn people that if that is a taboo to them, they should stay away. I'm not one of those people, but I also don't wish for people who have that taboo to see it.
Then again El Cucuy was brilliant and Bill and Ted wasn't but anyway.

To keep with that, the Bill and Ted show would have to say more than "adult humor" that the show is offensive in some way. I think most people with half a working brain get that jokes based on dehumanizing stereotypes (including the stereotype that gays are easy to beat up) and a scene where Bill and Ted condone rape are beyond the normal warning which could include stuff like Amanda Bynes holding a vibrator in her hands, Kristen Stewart sucking off Kim Jong, violent content, drug references, Brian pissing on the witch, swearing, that kind of stuff.

Imagine for a second Universal Studios having to put up a sign that would accurately reflect the content of the show. "Bill and Ted includes adult content including glorified rape, multiple racial and sexual stereotypes." That would be a fair warning.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/universal-studios-shuts-down-bill-and-ted-show-aft,104691/

I like the comments here. Especially those who are convinced the author of (this) article made it all up as a joke, because clearly that show is too awful to be real. No wonder Universal was in such a hurry to can it. Heavy handed maybe, but with that much bad press and a Bill and Ted sequel in the works I can see why they pressed the panic button.

Edited by ferox
  • Like 1

omg that was like wondering into a random Reddit...so stupid....lol but still this was taken way to far for something that could of been easily drop..... change fairy dust turn superman gay and useless into turning superman into Aquaman who is actualy useless.

Also would be cool if people would stop judging every B&T by this year.

• Like 1

I think there's a fair amount of stuff they would have had to cut beyond Superman. Maybe they tried to but couldn't get it to so obviously be "Uh yeah this is where we made superman a gay stereotype, but now it's something else" or "We're just going to pretend Kim Jong didn't speak like a 1950s cartoon version of an Asian" "We swear Nicki Minaj was never raped in this scene, nope." Or they were worried that the rewrites would come off as passive aggressive and just create more bad press. Just spec.

Hey, with this year gone so wrong for Bill and Ted it can't be that hard to be better in 2014, right?

I did had a dream last night that Universal replaced Bill and Ted with a talent show with students from high schools in the area. The most amazing act was when one guy pealed the face of a women off in the audience and tried to kiss her.

Not surprisingly, I don't think that show worked either.

Edited by AbnormalVitality
  • Like 1

Not to make matters worse I'm 80-90% sure B&T won't be back for 2014. History repeats itsself, look at Chucky it was cancelled midway through 08 and only came back as cameos. If it does come back though expect it to be VERY tame compared to previous years so it doesn't hurt the journalist feelings -_-.

To Universal, if you don't have backbone to even just change the superman scene instead of cancelling the whole thing like an 8 year old would, then I worry for the future of HHN.

I'm so fed up with this. I just.....I have no words. I'm still shocked and betrayed that this had happened.

THIS MAKES NO SENSE! They were promoting it on their FB page and it was a real hit with the GP...now it's GONE. Poof. Like that. I. cannot. believe. this.

Although I firmly believe you should'nt complain this is offensive for (insert group here) unless you are in said group I kinda agree with you ferox just cutting superman probably would cause more problems like a domino effect "hey they cut out to not offend the guys but the black joke is there" so everyone's sense of entitlement would just start up

I asked murdy and he said there are conversations still going although he's not part of it so there still hope cuz unlike chucky there is a outcry and there is a place to put that outcry " twitter"