Alice Cooper's: Welcome to my Nightmare

Hauntfan

We happened to be in LA a week before Halloween last year, so we went to the Hollywood HHN. Our overall opinion is that Orlando is, WITHOUT A DOUBT, soooooo much better than Hollywood. We feel way more immersed in the whole thing in Orlando, whereas, in Hollywood, it all seems too small and too broken up (partly because half of the park is split from the other by virtue of an upper level and lower level). Anyway, we went to the Alice Cooper house, and, frankly, I thought it SUCKED. It wasn't just "marginal".. it SUCKED. It wasn't scary at all, and it seemed so.. well Hollywood.. It felt overdone and like they were trying too hard to make it "cool". I was extremely disappointed. So, it shocks me to learn that it was supposedly the biggest draw for them last year. It also annoys me that they are doing an AC house in Orlando. All I can say is.. shit.

Be careful...not too many people here are too keen to other's opinions....especially if they're deemed as 'negative' and don't agree with theirs. ;)

However, I believe that what we might be getting this year could be unique and may be our own "Orlando" twist on this house. So I'm hoping (and here's to hoping) that it's unique in it's own front but still stays true to and fits in with the type of event that we're used to here on the East Coast. And that's all I have to say about that.

Edited by CoreySalyer

Thanks Corey.. I don't mean to offend anyone. This is ONLY my opinion. I'm just saying.. both my partner and I are total geeks for HHN, and we go thru the houses multiple times trying to take it all in. We so appreciate the work and creativity that goes into them. That's one of the reasons we love it so much. However, sometimes things don't always work for us.. and the AC house in Hollywood was one of those things. I realize people may disagree, and that's fine. Like someone said earlier.. some things can scare some people while others might find the same thing boring. I get it. I'm just passing along my own observations and feelings on it. As for Hollywood overall - the best thing about it was the Terror Tram, I think. That was worth going all by itself.

I live in Chicago, so really, I could go to either coast - it's a plane ticket for me no matter what. I just choose Orlando every time.

Thanks Corey.. I don't mean to offend anyone. This is ONLY my opinion. I'm just saying.. both my partner and I are total geeks for HHN, and we go thru the houses multiple times trying to take it all in. We so appreciate the work and creativity that goes into them. That's one of the reasons we love it so much. However, sometimes things don't always work for us.. and the AC house in Hollywood was one of those things. I realize people may disagree, and that's fine. Like someone said earlier.. some things can scare some people while others might find the same thing boring. I get it. I'm just passing along my own observations and feelings on it. As for Hollywood overall - the best thing about it was the Terror Tram, I think. That was worth going all by itself.

I live in Chicago, so really, I could go to either coast - it's a plane ticket for me no matter what. I just choose Orlando every time.

At least you're basing your opinion having gone through it. Can't really argue.

• Like 2

More about AC. What I don't get is WHY ?

What has a irrelevant ex rock star got to do with HHN ? His music became irrelevant by the early 80's and frankly wasn't good before. Frightening ? scary ? thrilliing ? entertaining? NONE OF THE PREVIOUS.

Granted, he looks scary, especially without his makeup. He is the oldest looking 64 year old I have seen outside the confines of a hospital. With all the potential SCARE fodder out there, why Alice Cooper?

Of course, I will still go to HHN Orlando and I'm confident they will do a great job overall. It just puzzles me how and why AC gets a maze. ( probably a buddy of an exec at Universal, doing a favor and throwing some promtional money at a washed up rocker, now restauranteur).

Now for us that are just a tad bit on the older side.....Alice Cooper, Ozzy, Kiss....These guys were the first real big Supernatural/Horror type inspired ROCK.

I know there are plenty of people out there who Love the Idea of a Rob Zombie, Slipknot , Lordi, or even a Gwar etc, type house. These guys would admit that without Alice. Ozzy,Kiss, there probably wouldn’t be the type of Music you youngins see as scary or hard core or worthy of a haunted house. Give it a chance; let’s see what Orlando A&D can do with an old school maybe even b-movie type 70's horror house. Remember some of your best Horror franchises started in the late 70's early 80's. I'm actually excited to see what they do. Supposedly it’s going to be Alice Copper Goes to Hell in 3D....that sound pretty 70's 80's Rocker/Classic Horror to me...

• Like 3

Facebook -

Some say he’s a shock rock legend. Others know him as the creator of horrors so frightening, they could drive you mad. This year, guests at Halloween Horror Nights - Hollywood and Universal Orlando’s HHN will journey inside his TWISTED mind. We dare you to enter, Alice Cooper - "Welcome to My Nightmare."

So basically Orlando is getting "Alice Cooper: Welcome to My Nightmare" and Hollywood is getting "Alice Cooper Goes 2 Hell in 3D."

Bonovox: I hope you're right. I hope Orlando does something with it that makes it worthy. I'm 45 years old, and I understand your thoughts very well (and agree with you as well). Personally, I don't think Universal needs to rely on such gimmicks like "horror rock". Their creativity is usually just fine on its own. I hope this doesn't start a precedent for every attention whore with an album to show up pitching a house. Hollywood had a Rob Zombie house too.. and guess what? We felt that sucked too.. That was our whole discussion on the ride back to our hotel - how we wouldn't have expected the two most hyped houses (Rob Zombie and Ailce Cooper) to be the houses we liked the least (hated). But that was true

I hope we both would got the same concept because it seemed like a good leg up to experience both welcome to my nightmare and goes to hell in 3d if we had like version that puts both ideas together it would feel like having 8 houses again lol. Hope we get more info if we could get an updated or altered version as you can see the hollywood one in youtube already.

From the site:

logo-Alice-Cooper-sm.png

"Journey into legendary rocker Alice Cooper’s twisted mind and witness the natural melding of horror and Cooper’s four decades-long career. Here you will follow Steven, the iconic character from many of Cooper’s works, as you come face to face with a myriad of tormentors who threaten an already-decaying sense of sanity."

this alice cooper house will prob be my least house ill be looking forward to. even if i dont know the rest of the houses. only because i watched the hollywood video of welcome to my nightmare and it just didnt look fun nor scary and the overall story doesnt appeal to me...sorry if i offend anyone just not my cup of tea. between all these ips shared with hollywood was orlando really out of ideas this year? lol plus its safe to say the website sucks so far :unsure:

Edited by David G
  • Like 1

I hope Orlando does something with it that makes it worthy. Personally, I don't think Universal needs to rely on such gimmicks like "horror rock". Their creativity is usually just fine on its own. I hope this doesn't start a precedent for every attention whore with an album to show up pitching a house.

I have a problem with this whole "worthy" crap people keep throwing around in regards to Orlando's event. The event is not all high & mighty just because there has been 9 more events for Orlando than Hollywood, doesn't make it superior. And to say the event doesn't need to rely on certain "gimmicks", i'd have to disagree because the event will never evolve into something more if it doesn't branch out in different directions. These so-called gimmicks will only help fuel and challenge A&D's creativity (that is until corporate comes in and budget cuts everything like usual).

I feel like we are turning into HHN Hollywood. I'm not trying to be rude when i say that, but i feel like Orlando has always done great coming up with original house ideas and themes.

Um... if it wasn't for HHN Hollywood (and Knotts for that matter), we wouldn't have an event. And to say "we're turning into hollywood" just because we have IP houses is amusing considering how many houses over the years were based on IPs (including when Hollywood's event was on hiatus) at the event before. HHN 1992 had "People Under The Stairs" & HHN 1993 had "Psycho"/"People Under The Stairs"... thats 2 IP houses during its first three years. Even the faces of HHN's first year "Fright Nights" were Universal Classic Monsters... an IP...

only because i watched the hollywood video of welcome to my nightmare and it just didnt look fun nor scary and the overall story doesnt appeal to me...

yes.. because a video on youtube allows you to fully experience a house...

• Like 3

More about AC. What I don't get is WHY ?

What has a irrelevant ex rock star got to do with HHN ? His music became irrelevant by the early 80's and frankly wasn't good before. Frightening ? scary ? thrilliing ? entertaining? NONE OF THE PREVIOUS.

Granted, he looks scary, especially without his makeup. He is the oldest looking 64 year old I have seen outside the confines of a hospital. With all the potential SCARE fodder out there, why Alice Cooper?

Of course, I will still go to HHN Orlando and I'm confident they will do a great job overall. It just puzzles me how and why AC gets a maze. ( probably a buddy of an exec at Universal, doing a favor and throwing some promtional money at a washed up rocker, now restauranteur).

He owned/designed a successful haunt years ago in Arizona. It was called: Alice Cooper's Nightmare. It actually had the reputation among the haunt industry as being one of the most innovative in the country. Couple his love for haunted houses with his marketing appeal and this is why we will be walking through his attraction in Orlando this Fall.

• Like 2

Some say he’s a shock rock legend. Others know him as the creator of horrors so frightening, they could drive you mad. This year, guests at Halloween Horror Nights - Hollywood and Universal Orlando’s HHN will journey inside his TWISTED mind. We dare you to enter, Alice Cooper - "Welcome to My Nightmare."

Some say he’s a shock rock legend. Others know him as the creator of horrors so frightening, they could drive you mad. This year, guests at Halloween Horror Nights - Hollywood & Universal's Halloween Horror Nights - Orlando (OFFICIAL) will journey inside his TWISTED mind. We dare you to enter, "Alice Cooper Goes to Hell 3D" OR "Alice Cooper - Welcome to My Nightmare."

So, what I'm understanding is that we're getting last year's Hollywood "Welcome to My Nightmare" and they're getting both this year?

To Wesker69: Again, I'll reiterate that my thoughts on what the Alice Cooper house was in Hollywood last year is based solely on my experience and, therefore, my opinion. You may love it. And good for you! Hell, I may love it, and good for me! I'm just saying.. I wasn't thriled with this particular announcement. When I say "gimmick", I'm not using the term like you seem to think I am. Please note my comments after my use of the word "gimmick" in which I stated I hope every attention whore with an album doesn't come around trying to cash in. That was more my concern. I fully agree that an open mind is the way to be on this because you just never know what may turn out to be really good. For example at last year's event, based on the premise of it, I thought "The Forsaken" was going to be a stupid house.. (that was the one with the pirate kind of thing, right? Sorry, I'm old.. brain farts). Anyway, I really, really liked that house. When I got to HHN, I was thrilled to be there as I always am.. and my mind is more than open. I go with the INTENTION of enjoying every single minute, and I usually do. So, please, don't try to lecture me about keeping an open mind and please don't put meaning to my words to fit your defensive filter.

Do I think Orlando is "high and mighty"? No, I don't. When I say "worthy" I do mean a high standard for Universal.. I go to other haunts here at home. We usually hit a few of the bigger haunted houses in the Chicago area. Some of them do a decent job (Statesville Haunted Prison, for one, is pretty consistent). However, NONE of them compare to what Universal does.. be it Orlando OR Hollywood. I friggin LOVE Universal... I should be getting paid for how much I promote them. Also, another poster here made the exact point I make when I talk about Orlando vs. Hollywood.. Orlando IS more creative. I love the more original ideas they come up with for the exact reason mentioned above.. I can walk into one of these houses and have NO IDEA what I'm in for. THAT is scary. If the house is based on all well-known media - it's true, we already have an idea of what we're getting. It's better when it's not. Although Wolfman and Dracula were two of my fave houses a few years ago.. so, I guess it depends. Anyway, I think you get my point.

Take a breath, man. We're all here because we love it.. at least, that's how I see it.

• Like 1

He owned/designed a successful haunt years ago in Arizona. It was called: Alice Cooper's Nightmare. It actually had the reputation among the haunt industry as being one of the most innovative in the country. Couple his love for haunted houses with his marketing appeal and this is why we will be walking through his attraction in Orlando this Fall.

I think the worry here in using Alice Cooper as a draw isn't his ability to making a creepy, great house. Actually, that's not my worry at all. His house may the best this year and I may eat the words I'm about to type. I HOPE that's the case, actually.

I'm personally a little antsy about the Alice Cooper house because I know that (unfortunately) most of the younger generations attending HHN won't necessarily be familiar with who Alice Cooper is. Now I'm not saying that every theme needs to be something NOW and CURRENT and known to be successful. That's not the case at all, as A&D has proven yearly through their original houses created from unknown or lesser known themes. Take the Poe house last year, for example, which, in my opinion, was one of the best houses of the year.

My issue is this: Alice Cooper comes from a different generation of music, and a different generation of music listeners. For example, it may be a teen's parents' generation of music...and that could be a potential turn off. And while one might argue that some of the most successful IP houses have come from cult 70's/80's classics (Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Halloween, etc.), I don't think the same would apply to music. Alice Cooper is a 70's/80's hard (or "horror") rock icon, and even if he makes a house that has absolutely NOTHING to do with his style of music, his name is still plastered all over the place in terms of that house, and therefore, his image and music will follow him. I think that's part of the appeal, in Marketing's mind. But I feel like this might be very telling of who's running Marketing and/or A&D...the music they like, the ages they are, and whether they can speak to a younger generation. Unfortunately, perhaps because of our media-driven society, you have to think beyond the quality of the house and into the message that his name and music bring to the audience...will it miss the mark? We won't know. Honestly, I hope this house is uber successful and my thoughts are for naught. I'm just trying to jump in the minds of the different generations who attend HHN. On the flip side of it, older generations will, I think, really enjoy it. Maybe it is part of marketing...maybe the people spending the money on HHN tickets wanted something like Alice Cooper. Who knows.

And to vent for a second, seriously, can we zoom out and just stop complaining/worrying about orlando becoming hollywood? @Wesker69 has a point. Orlando owes its roots to Hollywood, and there is no shame in that. The fact that Universal executives have given the A&D team in Orlando more artistic freedom in terms of house themes and designs over the years...that's neither here nor there, and it doesn't make Orlando any "better" or more "deserving". I haven't been to HHN Hollywood, but I'm sure everyone there gets just as terrified and entertained as people in Orlando. And I mean...isn't that the point?

Email: " Your Worst Nightmare Awaits Enter the demented nightmare of Alice Cooper, where demons run rampant and lost souls wail in agony. Find your way through a psychotic vision of rock and horror as you bear witness to the consequences of the seven deadly sins.Scream all you want, but this is one nightmare you may never wake up from."

Could we be getting the same plot as HHNH?