HHN 22 Speculation

it's really sad to hear everyone talking about HHN having no overlaying theme. Isn't that, aside from budget, makes them different and better then everyone else? I've been going to HHN since 2001, and I can't believe that A&D would just so drastically and abruptly change the formula to a winning recipe? IDK maybe I'm way off base but I can't believe that HHN will go without a theme. I can understand no icon; but to have no theme? A&D can't let that happen, and I don't believe they will.

• Like 2

it's really sad to hear everyone talking about HHN having no overlaying theme. Isn't that, aside from budget, makes them different and better then everyone else? I've been going to HHN since 2001, and I can't believe that A&D would just so drastically and abruptly change the formula to a winning recipe? IDK maybe I'm way off base but I can't believe that HHN will go without a theme. I can understand no icon; but to have no theme? A&D can't let that happen, and I don't believe they will.

A&D doesn't establish the theme, and hasn't for a couple of years. Marketing does. And if Marketing doesn't feel it's necessary it won't happen.

I enjoy the IP houses as well as the originals, I like stepping into the movie sometimes. Carnival of carnage was one of my favorite years. I also enjoyed the saw house in '09. But I get the concern over Orlando's event going under control of Hollywood, hope nobody tries to fix what ain't broken.

Well...Isn't there still gonna be a storyline..? If not..then for sure this year will be like Hollywood..(Which ain't cool...) I wanna walk into the park and know that there's a storyline or theme to the event...or else it will just feel like nothing...Im very interested to see what they will do about that this year...And has everybody forgotten about that leaked event overview that was taken down because it was too early?

Well...Isn't there still gonna be a storyline..? If not..then for sure this year will be like Hollywood..(Which ain't cool...) I wanna walk into the park and know that there's a storyline or theme to the event...or else it will just feel like nothing...Im very interested to see what they will do about that this year...And has everybody forgotten about that leaked event overview that was taken down because it was too early?

What was that?

Again... don't count on it. I have heard A&D is trying to put some sort of story together to be told through social media, but it will not be part of the main website.

It's important to know that this is not the first year a "story" has been wholely sacrificed. The original A&D story for last year was tossed by Marketing. The games were not originally intended but shoehorned in after A&D made a major push for them, which allowed the "house of cards" and the Luck tie-in (which they had create on the fly because they didn't have full control of Luck).

In 2010, the story stopped after the full reveal because Marketing felt that highlighting the story on the main site would confuse casuals who only wanted information about the houses.

So, these changes are not "new" or sudden. Ever since 2008, the emphasis on story has been lessened.

I know...I get that the website wont be Interactive and detailed and stuff...I just think it would make this years event nicer to have a story go along with it...And I still don't think we are the same as Hollywood even though we are sharing IPs with them..Our website this year is still presented different than theirs and is a little bit better than theirs...

Okay...

Orlando 2012- 6 or 7 houses (unconfirmed)

Hollywood 2012- 6 mazes + Terror Tram

Doesn't look like you will ALWAYS have more houses than us. If you count Terror Tram as a maze, which most people do, we have 7 mazes/attractions. You will get 6/7 houses. So your statement is invalid.

On topic, I don't get the hate for IP's, I never have, never will. I like, some IP to provide some kind of variety in the event, and originals to contrast the IP's. Too much of one or the other is no good in my book.

the only reason we are getting 7 or 6 houses is because of the Construction, we do not know if we will always get 7 houses from here on, doesn't matter if you think my argument is invalid or not, because this year is a wild card,

in the past years we have always have had more houses than Hollywood, more original houses than Hollywood, the fact that Hollywood is getting 6 mazes (the "Terror Tram" does Not count as a maze, sorry) now doesn't change the fact that we had more houses before, what if we get 8 houses next year?

the fact that Hollywood is getting more mazes actually means they are becoming more like us over here,

Thanks for the correction. I forgot about The Thing. (D'oh!) But even so it wasn't 7 IPs officially. Not that I have a problem with IPs if used right.

Vampyre Blood Bath was far from an original house, even if it was not an official IP house, it was a Blade house, the beginning of the house was like the Club Blade goes to in the movie, I am just saying, this year having 4 IP houses, why is everyone freaking out when we had years like this one before, I don't get it. I am just saying,

whether we become like Hollywood or not, well that's different, see the use of IP houses and Orlando Becoming Hollywood are two different subjects, I believe,

We could have Original houses And Still become like Hollywood,

Imagine if we got Havoc 2, 3 years in a Row, Or Catacombs 2,3 years in a row the same house, how does the house being original saves us from repeated houses? doesn't that have to do with Management and not with the use of IP houses?

that's what I meant before, we might become like Hollywood whether they use IP houses or not,

oh you mean like the taglines they have already used 8 years ago for 2004's event?

"Twice The Size. Twice The Fear."

"2X The Fear"

Not just taglines, that's not big enough. I'm talking maybe a house or at least a scare zone dedicated to doubles or something having to do with duality. Universal has made SUCH a big deal of numbers in the past few years...I don't think they'll just let it go so easily with just a tagline or mention. The 2004 reference is a good example, but the reality is that Universal may very well, at some point in the future, host another two-park HHN. But there will never be another HHN 22....and that's the point. It's a one-time chance to do something creative with the number 22...and I don't think Marketing OR A&D will want to overlook that.

I couldn't agree with you more. And, call me an idealist, but I believe the same of A&D - I can't see them letting HHN slide without a theme.

• Like 1

That is exactly what i mean. If we go back to a time in HHn history, before icons and themes, we see what got us to this point. we also see a basic formula for witch HHN has built this unbelievable event. I personally think that if A&D or marketing or whoever makes these decisions, would be doing a great injustice to the fans as well as themselves, Horror nights is supposed to be immersive, isn't that why we go every year? If HHN Orlando becomes more like Hollywood I'm afraid that the HHN we have all grown to love and obsess over, Will be gone forever and the event will lose what it has gained by taking drastics leaps of faith and landing on two feet. USO is probably my favorite Theme park.(and IOA) But HHN is quickly losing ground to that OTHER EVENT on the west coast. The rumored extreme house has, in essence, been at HOS for the last 2 years...ALONE. Not exactly what the rumors were but close enough i think. I beg A&D PLEASE DON'T RUIN THE BEST HAUNTED ATRACTION IN THE COUNTRY. That is all
  • Like 1

Well as far as the underlying theme it really has been lessened, I must agree with Legacy. At the end of the day uni needs to make money and marketing knows how to do that. Appealing to the general public is where the monies at. Now I love a good overall theme. HHN 18 was one of my absolute favorites, and LT just added a huge bonus to the group of us who frequent the event almost every night. On the flip side HHN 14 was another amazing year and that had absolutely no central theme. I have not been let down by any HHN in 9 years of going so Im sure I wont be with this one either.

• Like 2

But HHN is quickly losing ground to that OTHER EVENT on the west coast. The rumored extreme house has, in essence, been at HOS for the last 2 years...ALONE. Not exactly what the rumors were but close enough i think. I beg A&D PLEASE DON'T RUIN THE BEST HAUNTED ATRACTION IN THE COUNTRY. That is all

Other event on the West Coast? Do you mean HHN (who they are not in competition with because they're run by the same corporation), or the other park that has 18 year lead on them that started the whole "haunted theme park" idea?

And Universal didn't come up with the "extreme house," idea; it has existed in local haunts long before then.

Calm down.

• Like 1

I'll be honest, I'm not looking too forward to this year. I feel like we are turning into HHN Hollywood. I'm not trying to be rude when i say that, but i feel like Orlando has always done great coming up with original house ideas and themes. That is what makes me so excited to go every year. In the past, i would have been checking the site everyday but this year, it is completely different. this year, we already have three houses based on other things, all of which i am still skeptical about. the website is not even themed so far and it is already late July. i really hope there is an amazing central theme that ties all these things together. we now have a "horror rock" house, a "TV series" house, and a "video game" house...

This is bad enough for one year, but...

If this decline is going to continue through the following years (I honestly do not even consider Hollywood to be HHN)...

I feel kind of sick to my stomach now...

Damn.

• Like 1

Well as far as the underlying theme it really has been lessened, I must agree with Legacy. At the end of the day uni needs to make money and marketing knows how to do that. Appealing to the general public is where the monies at. Now I love a good overall theme. HHN 18 was one of my absolute favorites, and LT just added a huge bonus to the group of us who frequent the event almost every night. On the flip side HHN 14 was another amazing year and that had absolutely no central theme. I have not been let down by any HHN in 9 years of going so Im sure I wont be with this one either.

No I ment Howl-o-scream on the west coast of florida. If you attend the event at all, you would know that they are not that far behind what HHN was doing in 2002-03. They are on a faster track then HHN is, or it seems to me. I go to both and i would agree that HHN is better, but not AS MUCH better then most HHN fans would care to admit

Other event on the West Coast? Do you mean HHN (who they are not in competition with because they're run by the same corporation), or the other park that has 18 year lead on them that started the whole "haunted theme park" idea?

And Universal didn't come up with the "extreme house," idea; it has existed in local haunts long before then.

Calm down.

sorry wrong quote

and i never claimed that Uni came up with the extreme house idea, i was mearly stating that HOS was, in ALOT LESS TIME, able to give the public what we were praying to have at HHN

I don't care if we have a year like 2004 where there was no icon...As long as we have a storyline/theme to the event. And it's true I cannot imagine HHN without a theme/storyline...Now I don't care if we have an icon or not either way is fine...But I have to say to keep the event immersive we would need that storyline or theme...

I realize that there hasn't been a true overarching theme the vast majority of years, but Universal DOES usually have some sort of really general theme. In 2007, we had all these IP properties, but they were sold to us as circus sideshows. In 2009, we had the Universal Palace Theater tying things together. In 2010, you had a lot of familiar HHN ideas returning for one last hurrah (this didn't account for all the material, but 4 of the houses and 3 of the SZs were pretty closely tied to that idea). Last year, the houses were all pretty unrelated, but we were given the mini games and told that each house featured a wrong choice, put in the hands of Lady Luck. Are these great overarching stories? No. It's no Terra Cruentus, but it IS different than straight up saying "Look at this hodgepodge of IPs we scrounged up this year" and calling that a theme. The theme is still a pretty integral part of the event, even if it doesn't encompass anything and everything.

Personally, I'd be pretty happy if Universal quit announcing these houses. Speculation's really no fun if someone just tells you the answers and then says "Ok! That's it! See you in October."

Edited by Blizzrock13
  • Like 2

I'm sorry why does the event have to have a story? Do we go for the event or for the stuff leading up to it?

I know that all the little story updates are fun and awesome... but really they are just icing on the cake. They are something they do to show the fans appreciation (as the GP doesn't care about story) but it isn't required for a successful event. Cut them a break... they got a lot on there plate this year. Why does one year full of celebrations and construction spell the end of an event 22 years strong? An event that has happened yet mind you. I've seen every year of this event. It was successful in '91 and it was successful in '11... The company has changed hands numerous times and numerous times they have changed up the game.

Have a little faith... Wait until the reveal before complaing... better yet go to the event and then complain. We haven't seen anything to say one way or the other officially if there will be a theme. Do you know what we had last year at this time? A hand, two cards, and the Thing house confirmed... that's it.

This year we already have 3 houses confirmed (4 should have been already) and they seem to be hurrying to reveal the IP's. So if we have another reveal next week all 4 IPs will be revealed and then the normal time frame for teasing starts. So people are essentially complaing because they have given you more quicker than last year.

Regardless, It's really hard to judge Universal's marketing plan before they actually implement said plan... 0.o

• Like 12

i think that the houses announced should be embraced since i feel like one of the main reasons we have these houses is because universal is doing what the fans have been asking for.silent hill alone is a reason to go this year imo already. and i remember for the last 2 years people bringing up different video game ideas for a house, well we have it and i think we should be thanking uni for listening. and the ips this year are heavy hitters, ex. s.h. is one of the most scary games ever made, twd one of the scariest shows ever made, ac one of hollywoods best houses.also its friken exciting to have a movie /show marathon days before you go to hype yourself up. i did that with dead silence and it made me appreciate the work they put in to the facade.

For such a hardcore fanbase of an event that we all love, you guys turn on it on an INSTANT without any hesitation. I mean, people were bashing the event before anybody knew anything official! That's just crazy to me. Saying you don't like something and YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT IT IS YET. I'm truly flabbergasted by this.

Disappointing.

I reckon I'm in the minority... but I'm extremely pleased by the officially released IP's thus far, and I'm looking forward to the 99 44/100 percent certainty of Penn and Teller as well. I very much hope there is still a possibility of the DE/Classic Universal monsters house happening, but if it doesn't, I'm excited to see what else the team comes up with. I have some high hopes for the scare zones, still crossing my fingers for my herds/hordes. I can now breathe easier knowing I can get my FFPPE next Friday. More than ready to grab a blinkie cup, try out some new concoctions at Finnegan's and see who is successful in making me pee my pants first.

As always, I respect everyone's feelings and opinions, and maybe I'm just being a Pollyanna. But girlfriend is psyched ;) .

ETA: I now have to Google the merely rumored IP hinted at for the Victorian house. I have a quarter, but I still haven't bought a clue.

• Like 1

For such a hardcore fanbase of an event that we all love, you guys turn on it on an INSTANT without any hesitation. I mean, people were bashing the event before anybody knew anything official! That's just crazy to me. Saying you don't like something and YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT IT IS YET. I'm truly flabbergasted by this.

Disappointing.

I don't believe you quite understand whats going on here. We don't hate the event, we LOVE IT!! Thats why were here. The boards are a place that people of like minds can get together and share thoughts. Thats whats going on. We are simply exchanging thoughts. Maybe not everyone agrees with everyone else, but we all do love HHN and are simply trying to give our 2 cents. I believe that saying that you don't or won't like something this early is indeed alarmist. As far as my posts are concerned, I was simply stating that with no theme, I simply can't see how the event will tie together. Not that I don't like it, or its stupid, or whatever. I can't speak for everyone, but This is simply a way to kill time and meet people for me waiting for HHN. This board stands for what america stands for. FREEDOM...GOD BLESS Horrornightnightmares

• Like 3