HHN Hollywood 2012 Speculation

I also hope this year improves on the blank walls and rooms that last year had. I never seen so many blank walls at Universal! The set design was severely lacking in The Thing, Hostel, and HOTC. HOTC was a repeat but it had long stretches of entire HALLS with just painted walls in the first 1/3 of the maze. It was almost like walking through a Knotts maze! Coincidentally, those are the three mazes that are for sure being replaced this year. The Thing was the second worst offender, and was especially noticeable considering the walls were a cement looking color.

Yeah, if they fix the Terror Tram, fix this issue and all the other improvements made this year are truly shaping this into a landmark year!

Wow, didn't even notice that! I thought that picture was something cool creative worked up.

They don't exactly create new pictures for Alice. Probably because of his touring schedule. The original WTMN house had a version of this picture in the promo.

413px-Coopersantiagotourposter.jpg

I'm always at work when something big is announced. <_< Putting that aside, IT'S ABOUT TIME. I never thought I would be really this excited about the House of Horrors this year.

Considering this will take a little over a month to do, I doubt they're going to just gut the whole thing and build it from the ground-up. It sounds like they may keep some of the rock walls and change most of the rooms up.

Since they'll finally be doing major changes to the HoH this year, assuming that this La Llorna rumor is true, that will put us with five new houses, which will be the most we've ever had. If they up their game with the Terror Tram and the scarezones, we're looking at our most amazing year ever people.

Now if only we could get those blasted sound stage houses that we've wanted for years now...

Considering this will take a little over a month to do, I doubt they're going to just gut the whole thing and build it from the ground-up. It sounds like they may keep some of the rock walls and change most of the rooms up.

That's what I was thinking. But wouldn't the Catacomb walls be the easiest to remove? They look that way to me. Whatever it is, at least it will be better than the previous "overlays". Now it will almost be a new maze. So instead of 5 1/2 mazes, we have 5 3/4-6 Mazes finally.

Sorry bout the fractions though. ;)

If it takes a month to build, that's about the same amount of time needed to make a brand new maze from scratch. If they keep the cement walls in place and change ALL the rooms, that's a new maze in my book. And that's kinda what it sounds like they're doing. My guess is two weeks to take everything out and store it. Another 2 weeks to put in everything new and built (depends if things are built off site or not). It wouldn't be closed for a month just for it to be the same or similar! Maybe they'll keep Frankenstein's lab since it's so massive... but things like Psycho, Chucky, Dawn of the Dead, wannabe Leatherface etc. should be easily fixed and remade.

I'm glad this can at least be speculated this year instead of just talk with our heads up our asses and in the clouds!

Edited by DTH316

The thing that always made House of Horrors bad was that it would start off really good , theme wise and then slowly degrades in flow and just ends up being a compilation of rooms from different horror movies. For example, in Wolfman, you started off in the catacombs. It made some sense. But then you went into the Chucky room and were confused. Hopefully they take out the Chucky room with all the a-b-c blocks.

That's because they downstairs still utilizes the old Van Helsing theming. The change to House of Horrors definitely sacrificed some of the coherent set design throughout the attraction but since Van Helsing was a horrible movie it's for the best that they varied the maze to include various Uni horror franchises. The fact that HoH will be closed to day time visitors during HHN this year means that the "problem rooms" that aren't in line with the overall gothic feel will be more properly redesigned and (hopefully) we'll get a more throrough theme running through the entire maze that feels less like a half-assed overlay and more like a legit original maze, just in an awesome venue that features some of Uni's best sets and effects. I still have a feeling that the theme of the maze will be more generic than the HHN specific transient mazes but hopefully it will feel more complete and therefore be much more effective and exciting.

Personally I miss the original Mummy Returns maze. It was really well designed and much more effective than the Van Helsing or HoH versions. And I'm not just saying that because I worked in it. :)

Why is everyone so upset or bummed about TCM reboot? It was my first HHN maze ever in 2008 and one of my all time favorites. Also Murdy said ACGTH maze was in a new location. What about it being in HOH!!!! That's would work really well. Lots of themes to play off of there too!!! What do you think?

I'm a bit bummed about it because our event has a feeling of sameness about it. Most things are virtually the same every year. Tram, house of horrors, bill and ted, scarezones, repeated themes, repeated mazes. I would just prefer something completely new. But as far as repeated themes, TCM is about as good as it could get.

Hey there folks. I'm back (and justs pent the last few days catching up on this thread... whew!). Instead of throwing out my thoughts on everything, you can pretty just take anything that DTH316 said and imagine me saying "word" below his every post. I'm amazed at how much we agree on :-)

Anyway- exciting news about a more involved HOH overlay! That's great. I would say we should temper our expectations a bit. I'm sure the path and layout will remain the same as well as much of the props and scenery. I think we'll see a lot added here and there but very little taken away. Remember that they have to switch it right back in its old form come November.

As for the return of Alice Cooper? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........

Anyway- exciting news about a more involved HOH overlay! That's great. I would say we should temper our expectations a bit. I'm sure the path and layout will remain the same as well as much of the props and scenery. I think we'll see a lot added here and there but very little taken away. Remember that they have to switch it right back in its old form come November.

With the way Comcast is involved with the parks, I wonder if they'll make a new theme for House of Horrors? Just a thought.

As for the return of Alice Cooper? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........

Hey, at least it will be a brand-new house with a facade that should be really good....unlike the other event with the hideous face-ade. LOL

Why is everyone so upset or bummed about TCM reboot? It was my first HHN maze ever in 2008 and one of my all time favorites. Also Murdy said ACGTH maze was in a new location. What about it being in HOH!!!! That's would work really well. Lots of themes to play off of there too!!! What do you think?

TCM is one of my favorites also BUT (this thought is continued after the next quote)...

And ACGTH is not in a new location. Don't know where you heard that from. It's in the T2 venue. And that venue has been there for about 2 years now.

I'm a bit bummed about it because our event has a feeling of sameness about it. Most things are virtually the same every year. Tram, house of horrors, bill and ted, scarezones, repeated themes, repeated mazes. I would just prefer something completely new. But as far as repeated themes, TCM is about as good as it could get.

As I was about to say above, I agree with nightcrawler. I wouldn't mind if TCM returned and was the ONLY returning theme. But now with Alice Cooper returning and rumors of La Llorona returning, TCM is the last thing I want. That's 3 returning themes. Half of the mazes, and a never changing HOH (which hopefully changes this year) on themes we've seen before when there are countless other horror franchises or original ideas that would be much better to see. How long have we waited for Trick 'r Treat? Evil Dead? Those would be much better to see right now in a time of need.

• Like 1

Hey, at least it will be a brand-new house with a facade that should be really good....unlike the other event with the hideous face-ade. LOL

Well, we'll see what "all new" means this year. Sometimes that means shuffling around some things and switching out a couple rooms. Sometimes it really does mean everything is new. But based on the clues and descriptions that have come from Murdy, it sounds like it'll be another nonsensical hodgepodge of random stuff just like the first.

And I was excited for the return of La llorona but now that AC is back, I don't want 2 returning themes. Hopefully they give us a nice surprise and something else new.

I'm down with TWD and SH.

Personally I miss the original Mummy Returns maze. It was really well designed and much more effective than the Van Helsing or HoH versions. And I'm not just saying that because I worked in it. :)

Me too, I loved that maze. It felt, honestly, like an HHN quality maze, instead of HOH which is kind of a goofy-ish, tribute to Classic Monsters, and some other random movies.

Well, we'll see what "all new" means this year. Sometimes that means shuffling around some things and switching out a couple rooms. Sometimes it really does mean everything is new. But based on the clues and descriptions that have come from Murdy, it sounds like it'll be another nonsensical hodgepodge of random stuff just like the first.

And I was excited for the return of La llorona but now that AC is back, I don't want 2 returning themes. Hopefully they give us a nice surprise and something else new.

I'm down with TWD and SH.

I believe Murdy when he says this one will be all new. He says he's not even using the same characters, music or settings as the first one. Also, it's in a brand new venue with a 100% different layout. However, I still think it'll be semi-stupid and non-scary like the last one. And the talk of Knotts' traditional 3D methods with Universal's new one makes it sound even worse.

Anticipation List (so far):

Walking Dead

Silent Hill

Alice Cooper

I totally dissagree that WTMN was a "hodgepodge of random stuff". Although it wasn't laid out as a linear path through a tangible environment (like say, Crystal Lake or the Meyers or Sawyer house) it did have a logical flow and no less "story" than any of the other mazes. The whole intent was to create the feeling that you are traversing Stephen's nightmare. Nightmares (and all dreams for that matter) tend to be disjointed, illogical and jarring. It also had a certain amount of in-joke humor and fan service to people who are familiar with Alice's body of work, in exactly the same way that the movie based mazes have clever nods and references to the entire franchise that they respectively represent (even when a particular film in the cannon is used as the main basis). WTMN was very similar to the second Nightmare on Elm Street maze, which was basically a disjointed trip from nightmare to nightmare, recreating several iconic scenes from the original movie franchise. There was also a lot to enjoy in terms of the way Murdy used Alice's music to create a true cinematic soundtrack and the way he visually reimagined some of the more famous songs, blending them with classic Cooper stage gags. IMO WTMN was the second best maze last year and I am thoroughly stoked for this year's dose of the Coop - 3D or no! Stop hating on it just because it's not based on a played out slasher franchise or a gutless new school ghosty/demony flick. :)

As I was about to say above, I agree with nightcrawler. I wouldn't mind if TCM returned and was the ONLY returning theme. But now with Alice Cooper returning and rumors of La Llorona returning, TCM is the last thing I want. That's 3 returning themes. Half of the mazes, and a never changing HOH (which hopefully changes this year) on themes we've seen before when there are countless other horror franchises or original ideas that would be much better to see. How long have we waited for Trick 'r Treat? Evil Dead? Those would be much better to see right now in a time of need.

I really dont mind if they return as long as they change the maze like they are doing with Alice Cooper. I would like to see mazes like TCM Friday the 13 Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream return as long as they change the entire maze and maybe even the location. But the Llorona returning thats just a fail even if they change the maze.

I believe Murdy when he says this one will be all new. He says he's not even using the same characters, music or settings as the first one. Also, it's in a brand new venue with a 100% different layout. However, I still think it'll be semi-stupid and non-scary like the last one. And the talk of Knotts' traditional 3D methods with Universal's new one makes it sound even worse.

Anticipation List (so far):

Walking Dead

Silent Hill

Alice Cooper

Come on DTH. This sounds like the arguments made last year. We know Alice Cooper was successful last year, people loved the maze. I doubt this will be any different this year. And trust me, the construction at T2 doesn't look anything like a Knott's maze. ;)