HHN 21: Event Photos and Videos

HHNiP

I should bring my tripod this weekend... or the monopod.. but both are a hassle...

I've seen some monopods that fold up to a pretty small size.. I don't know if you'd want to look at getting a new one but I have seen ones that should fit in a bag.

Working my way through my UTH Tour pics right now. Here are a couple that caught my eye:

6214531030_c479634b3a_z.jpg

6214018153_0b0946cb8a_z.jpg

6214014561_db233b1405_z.jpg

Lots of nice touches in this house. Don't miss the grave of Kim Gromoll:

6214529768_71c973f618_z.jpg

Or the vault of Ray Keim:

6214014893_2b8e60d2a1_z.jpg

And, of course, the Aiello family crypt:

6214014805_494e98fcd0_z.jpg

More to come. For the entire set, click HERE.

Mr. Wilson, I've never been on a UTH tour before, but I'm going on the 23rd. How are these tours handled in terms of photography? Are you free to walk about the house for a few minutes to take pictures or do I have to stay with the pace of the group. I'd like to be able to sit in each scene for a minute or two to compose my shots, instead of having to rush with settings and fiddle about the scene trying to figure out what I want to do before the guide yells at me to hurry up :P

Guest HHNPicMan

Mr. Wilson, I've never been on a UTH tour before, but I'm going on the 23rd. How are these tours handled in terms of photography? Are you free to walk about the house for a few minutes to take pictures or do I have to stay with the pace of the group. I'd like to be able to sit in each scene for a minute or two to compose my shots, instead of having to rush with settings and fiddle about the scene trying to figure out what I want to do before the guide yells at me to hurry up :P

Hi Grime. I know you asked Mr. Wilson the question, but I will chime in. Hopefully, thats ok.

These tours are fairly small groups. No more than 10, maybe 15. There is plenty of time to take photos. As a matter of fact, many time the tour guides will specifically have everyone stand in a manner where people can get photos without other people in them. For example, when you are standing infront of the facade. I have been on this tour several years in a row now, and have always had enough time to take photos.

Hopefully, you will enjoy the tour!

wow I cant wait to see what pics you take, i

Every year I am blown away by what I see all of you photographers post. Kudos to you all. I wish I had the gear and know how to take my own shots. I love how so many of you catch such crystal clear shots with moving subjects in fog &/or low light.

I also discovered the PDF book that was put together for last year's event... WOW! Why doesn't Universal use all of these fans shots (with royalties to you all of course) and combine it with their own inside photographers to sell an actual printed book after each event?!?! I'd sure as hell buy one especially if it came out in January or March to help with the off season.

Again... keep up the good work...

To Grime, As for the UTH. I tend to stick in the back of the group. Because as people move onward. You can hang back a little and take pics without people being in the way. The only down side is you can't really hear the host speak.

Thanks Derek and I agree with you. This is my first year ever taking professional photos. So while I snap I still look at whatever one else does here and I simply blown away. Great job to you all.

Grime: Agree with HHNPicman completely. As a matter of fact, he, the Director of Horror and myself were all on the tour together last weekend. The tours move at a pretty slow pace, so stick to the back of the group and snap at your leisure. The guide may give you some playful jabbing (as ours did) when it's time to move on, but they're never pushy. After all, these tours are designed with fanatics like us in mind.

Barbaric Derek: Glad you enjoyed the book! We're 90% through with the book for HHN 19 and can't wait to start work on one for HHN 21. The talent of these HHN photographers is phenomenal, and it's an honor to work with all of them.

Mark: Great shots, as always. Hope to bump into you again one of these FFP evenings.

ZKeeper: Keep up the great work. It's wonderful to see the photos that this year is generating. Very impressive stuff from everyone!

And a couple more shots from my UTH Tour, this time focusing on Nevermore:

6215274288_ba4a8c35f6_z.jpg

6215273884_eb958a339a_z.jpg

6215275710_0022e85bbc_z.jpg

And here's a detail that you can't see in the darkness of HHN (and it's hard to make out in the photo, but it's there), but our UTH guide pointed it out. This bookcase is at the very beginning of Nevermore. If you look at the top shelf, the fifth book from the left is called "Sith Happens," written by an author named Maul. Just another inside Star Wars joke by our friends in A&D. Full-size image can be found HERE.

6214757643_248d013bb8_z.jpg

Edited by W. Wilson

Taking pictures at HHN is one of my favorite things to do. I am sheepishly going to step into this world of AMAZING DSLR pictures and post some of mine taken with a non-DSLR.

Please forgive me for taking over this thread for a bit. All of these photos were taken between Thursday, September 29 and Sunday, October 2 during my one and only trip to HHN this year. I am going to post my pictures by location. A lot detail seems to have been lost when the pictures were re-sized. If you would like the full resolution version of any of these, just let me know.

Acid Assault

4Ctcfl.jpg

TduNIl.jpg

Grown Evil

c1ctBl.jpg

wtOIKl.jpg

e9Y8yl.jpg

Nightmaze

fzDaNl.jpg

CXG5Dl.jpg

ksts0l.jpg

Canyon of Dark Souls