HHN XXI Auditions

Everybody!!!

JK. In all seriousness, no one knows but them. The directors know the character and know the body types needed. People say, I'm so cute I can't be scary, or I'm to fat/skinny/tall/short. Wrong.

They want/need everyone. They may have roles for 7' 300lb people as well as 3' 60lb people, along with everything in-between.

Since they'll have a picture of you before you enter the room, they'll generally already have you casted for something and or nothing at all. At that point, they wanna see you face to face and see you can interact. That simple.

sweeet, thanksss! is the audition hard?

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might this picture be a head shot or a full body shot? (I'm assuming full body shot so they can see everything)

Mid-frame. It's from about the knees up. It allows them to get as close a view of your "full-body image" on a four inch picture.

sweeet, thanksss! is the audition hard?

Nope, you walk in answer a couple of questions, walk out. It's a simple "type out" where all they care about is what you look like. If you carry yourself like you want to be there (and they have an open role for your body type) there should be no problems.

Mid-frame. It's from about the knees up. It allows them to get as close a view of your "full-body image" on a four inch picture.

Nope, you walk in answer a couple of questions, walk out. It's a simple "type out" where all they care about is what you look like. If you carry yourself like you want to be there (and they have an open role for your body type) there should be no problems.

Right. The biggest mistake people make is overthinking this whole process. Don't worry about what you wear and or/or what your gonna do. Be comfortable, be yourself, and stand out because it's obvious you wanna be there.

Right. The biggest mistake people make is overthinking this whole process. Don't worry about what you wear and or/or what your gonna do. Be comfortable, be yourself, and stand out because it's obvious you wanna be there.

So on that note, I'm a bit worried about dress again. I was thinking I'd show up in my work clothes (business casual) but if I'm coming straight from class, I'll have to change when I get there...I'll be in my normal wear which is jeans, shin high motorcycle boots, random T-Shirt, and my armored jacket. I would think that that's something very unprofessional to wear to an interview, but I keep hearing people say that a type out audition != interview. So maybe I can save a bit of hassle keeping my stuff on and not changing. What do you guys think?

I'm pretty sure I saw this noted before, but I can't find mention of it now...

I'm definitely going to say I'm available for all days of the event, which is true, however I'd also like (don't have to, but it's preferable) to take a couple of days off to attend the event itself as well as Howl-o-Scream with some friends of mine (probably like 2 days in a row, otherwise I'd work the rest of the even with no problem). My question would be whether I'd have to put those two days off on the audition papers, or if I get accepted, speak to someone about doing so after. Would this be problematic, even after being cast?

I've always only taken off 1 night. I put full availability and then when the run started asked my ASM if there would be a night that would inconvenience them the least if I took off. That way I most likely will be hired but can also see the event as a guest. I have never had an issue with getting a night off and I know people who take off several, but I always have open availability at the auditions and then request off after the event starts.

I haven't taken off more than one night in a row, so I don't know the best way to do the multiple nights off thing...

Edited by Tman875

I haven't taken off more than one night in a row, so I don't know the best way to do the multiple nights off thing...

Only thing I can think of is to be ABU. You are not guaranteed a role each night and if you don't fill a role at all on certain nights, you can be a guest. And of course after you get your five nights, you are pretty much free to either work or be a guest the rest of the event.

However, they don't necessarily like to hire ABU. They hire them because they need them but they prefer those who have full availability. I did hear of some at the Reunion that didn't get hired because they requested ABU....not many, but it does happen.

Well since I really want to be part of it more than I want to attend, I'll make myself for full availability and ask later (can't hurt to do so) and just play it by ear then. If I can't, well, can't complain if I'm cast.

Man I hope I get in. unsure.gif

Well since I really want to be part of it more than I want to attend, I'll make myself for full availability and ask later (can't hurt to do so) and just play it by ear then. If I can't, well, can't complain if I'm cast.

Man I hope I get in. unsure.gif

Most ASM's are cool about allowing you a night or 2 off to enjoy the event. I have yet to have one tell me no....

So on that note, I'm a bit worried about dress again. I was thinking I'd show up in my work clothes (business casual) but if I'm coming straight from class, I'll have to change when I get there...I'll be in my normal wear which is jeans, shin high motorcycle boots, random T-Shirt, and my armored jacket. I would think that that's something very unprofessional to wear to an interview, but I keep hearing people say that a type out audition != interview. So maybe I can save a bit of hassle keeping my stuff on and not changing. What do you guys think?

Just to make a point, I personally wear the same thing to every audition. Gym shorts and a tshirt. Simple. If they want body type, I shall be comfortable and wear what allows them to easily type cast me.

This is not an interview and hardly an audition. Have fun with it. Make friends and get cast!

As for days off, it is encouraged to request them off beforehand. I never do, because as said...ASM's are good with giving days off if requested later on in the event. I may be wrong, but I believe there is a deadline at some point during the run that time off requests have to be put in.

I didn't take a night off last year which I was ok with. Some call times...example: 7pm will allow you to see all but 1-2 houses and a few sz's before even signing in. If your not in a closing cast you'll get off in time to run through houses.

Edited by MrBungle

I have a question- how does things work with the application for preferencing things (if done before the audition)? For example- take ABU and Firecrew. Do you only pick one and hope there is room? Or do you list them in order of what you would potentially like (so 1-ABU, 2-Firecrew, ect). Same for anything else

I have a question- how does things work with the application for preferencing things (if done before the audition)? For example- take ABU and Firecrew. Do you only pick one and hope there is room? Or do you list them in order of what you would potentially like (so 1-ABU, 2-Firecrew, ect). Same for anything else

I think your misunderstanding these two roles. ABU is given to people who do not have full availability through the run. Firecrew works every night of the event.

If your not looking to work in a house or street. You can write down firecrew as a preference. If you don't have full availability, then ABU is what you'd write.

I think your misunderstanding these two roles. ABU is given to people who do not have full availability through the run. Firecrew works every night of the event.

If your not looking to work in a house or street. You can write down firecrew as a preference. If you don't have full availability, then ABU is what you'd write.

Oh I know what the difference is. I just am not sure how the application works. I would love to get ABU if possible. However, I would pick both if it gets me a better shot of getting in. My question is- do you only pick one, and that's that. Or are you allowed to number everything in order that you would like (hence the example 1-ABU, 2-Firecrew, and so on).

I hope I worded it better this time :blush:

Oh I know what the difference is. I just am not sure how the application works. I would love to get ABU if possible. However, I would pick both if it gets me a better shot of getting in. My question is- do you only pick one, and that's that. Or are you allowed to number everything in order that you would like (hence the example 1-ABU, 2-Firecrew, and so on).

I hope I worded it better this time :blush:

You actually dont pick either. There is nothing on the sheet specifically asking, Streets/House/Firecrew/ABU. It is all based off what your availability is along with how they cast you. We talk about putting Firecrew or ABU down as a preference. There is a space for role to be considered for.

Im somewhat confused as to what exactly your asking, meaning i dont know why you would want ABU if you have full availiabity and could just be cast straight up. Other than you just not wanting to work most of the event. Also, they are casting you for characters first before they even consider you for Firecrew.

Just PM me if this still isn't helping. We'll figure it out for you.

Edited by MrBungle

Besides Stilts, do they have a space on the paperwork for special skills? Or do you actually even have to have stilt experience, do they teach it?

I'm not asking this for ANY reason except to get a feel for the paper work... I only say Stilts because that is the only specifically talent-based things anyone has mentioned.

Congrats to those cast so far, I am completely excited for Tuesday!

Besides Stilts, do they have a space on the paperwork for special skills? Or do you actually even have to have stilt experience, do they teach it?

I'm not asking this for ANY reason except to get a feel for the paper work... I only say Stilts because that is the only specifically talent-based things anyone has mentioned.

Congrats to those cast so far, I am completely excited for Tuesday!

on the top corner of the page, it asks if you're auditioning for stilts or regular scareactor.

Other than that, yes there is a location to put special skills. Whether it may be juggling, tumbling, etc...

on the top corner of the page, it asks if you're auditioning for stilts or regular scareactor.

Other than that, yes there is a location to put special skills. Whether it may be juggling, tumbling, etc...

And if you don't really have any special skills suitable for the event (ie, you can't juggle, tumble, dance or stilts), a lot of scareactors use the "Special Skills" line as a chance to stand out from the crowd. For example, this year I put, "Making Charlie Sheen look lame." It's an odd strategy, but it shows confidence and personality in three inches of space.

Again, the one thing that will ensure you don't get cast is acting like you don't want to be there. Every chance you get to seem like a fun, engaging person, you need to take.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know!!

I wouldn't dare do stilts, despite kinda knowing how, but it seems as though "Burlesque Performer" MAY just fit in with some of the theme speculation that has been going around so I'm definitely adding my awesome skill to the list.

:)

Thanks, that's what I needed to know!!

I wouldn't dare do stilts, despite kinda knowing how, but it seems as though "Burlesque Performer" MAY just fit in with some of the theme speculation that has been going around so I'm definitely adding my awesome skill to the list.

:)

Legacy said it just right. I remember last years audition them asking our favorite role. I didn't just say my role I did a little thang to show them something a little different ad what I can do. As for stilts, if you are interested and wanna learn how, tons of people know and can teach, such myself. The auditions though, are not a place to just "give it a try." I've seen people at auditions who have claimed to walk stilts before, and either can't even strap in...let alone standing and walking. Make sure your 100% that you can walk, walk stair and do general movements.

That being said they do have stilt workshops, though those are very selective and not so easy to get into. They have probably 2 a year or so, after Mardi GRAS auditions.

You actually dont pick either. There is nothing on the sheet specifically asking, Streets/House/Firecrew/ABU. It is all based off what your availability is along with how they cast you. We talk about putting Firecrew or ABU down as a preference. There is a space for role to be considered for.

Im somewhat confused as to what exactly your asking, meaning i dont know why you would want ABU if you have full availiabity and could just be cast straight up. Other than you just not wanting to work most of the event. Also, they are casting you for characters first before they even consider you for Firecrew.

Just PM me if this still isn't helping. We'll figure it out for you.

Sending a PM