HHN 23 Discussion

Okay I'm going to chime in here, because this was one of my most anticipated houses. I watched 3 or 4 media videos of the walkthrough with the one I posted (its not in black and white) being the worst in showing how bad some of the masks look. That could be due to the flash of the camera but you can see all of the masks and makeup clear as day. A lot of the scareactors other then the riot zombies do not look like proper walkers. The walker with dreads eating the other prisoner seriously looks like The Predator. Something just looks off about the makeup and masks. The lack of characters also hurts it like I thought.

Now with that being said, there is not much they could have done differently to impress me with the "scare" factor. I say "scare" because someone popping out and pretending to grab you or banging on something loud doesn't frighten me. But I completely disagree that the house doesn't tell a story and is dull. It's underwhelming to what I expected, but it was never going to meet those heights. The house perfectly puts you in the show, with the entrance being the arena of Woodbury, then you proceed through the town where survivors are fighting walkers, to the governers mancave where you must escape Penny and finally to the infested prison. The main problem is there is not enough scareactors in a lot of the scenes to give it the Walking Dead feel. And that was an issue the first time I walked through the original house last year.

It's hard to tell about the music of the show being utilized, in some of the videos you can hear it perfectly but in others you can't. I like how you can hear the main theme at times but wish some of the more intense music appears, which I never really heard. Some of it sounds generic but it is very hard to make out most of it in any video.

But this years house is night and day with last years in terms of atmosphere and sets. I actually like the survivor shooting scene and think it draws guests in and I love the ending. A&D definitely tried way harder to put guests into the show this year, and from the sets to the sound effects, I think they succeded. I'm not sure how many more interactive elements they could have added except maybe more survivors fighting back scenes. With any IP, you are probably going to enjoy the house more if you like the property and I'm a huge fan of the show. I recognize every set they used this year unlike last year.

It's not as good as I hoped, but hopefully it will get better as the event goes. I really think they need to add way more walkers and not have just 2 in every room other then the last and the guardtower area. That might be why some are finding it dull, and I can understand that. Other then that my main issue is with the masks and lack of characters again.

I've watched all of the walkthrough videos of this house (the ones in infrared, as well as the ones lit with camera light, and show light).

The masks are absolutely wretched in their execution on the actor. At the VERY least, give the actor some eye makeup so it doesn't blatantly look like they are wearing a mask. Pale white cheeks peering through the eye holes of a dark brown/reddish walker mask just looks absolutely terrible. Same goes with the neck lines. It's very noticeable, even in the show lighting walkthrough video.

It was only a preview event and maybe they were under staffed in the makeup department, but seeing as this was a media event, you'd think they would want to make the best impression possible. If I were an actor in this house, I would show up to call with dark eye makeup already on, just in case the makeup department doesn't have time to add it.

The masks COULD be effective, if the makeup team spent an extra few minutes adding eye/cheek/neck makeup to the actors. In their current state, they are not.

I completely agree with this, in the light they look like Hannibal Lector masks and not walkers. The first one you see after the Milton look alike ..I have no idea what that's supposed to be. For Universal, it's really cheap.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 2

That Walker mask after the Milton look alike reminded me of the Lady Luck masks *shudders*

That costume looks nothing like a walker and you see it twice. I heard that, that video might have been shot during the first walk through. Apparently the media were given two walk throughs of the house, one where all cameras were prohibited in real mode and then one with the lights on with photography allowed. I dunno though some of those videos seem like the lights are definitely off. Either way, the masks, makeup and walker designs look very weak in the light which I was hoping wouldn't be the case.

On a sidenote: construction on Hershels barn has begun and there is a truck with a platform in the woodbury area.

http://horrornightsarchives.com/hhn-23-construction-orlando#!prettyPhoto

Edited by somebody85

I have never seen TWD. Not even part of an episode. That being said, I still think TWD house might be good. Sure, I'm not going to recognise props and locations from the show, but if the house is done well, I should still enjoy the sets and scares.

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there are too many IP houses. From my point of view, it shouldn't make any difference. Whether the idea comes from a movie, video game, urban legend, or is an original idea, the end result should be a house with interesting environments and costumes, and well-designed scares. The main difference with an IP house is that the GP will recognise elements from the house and that can be used to improve the environment for people familiar with it, but if done right, shouldn't take away from the enjoyment by people unfamiliar with the IP. Of course, they can also advertise it and use it to draw more people...

All in all, I'm looking forward to all of the houses this year. And watching Cabin in the Woods and Evil Dead, and re-watching American Werewolf in London only made me more excited to see how they integrate the movies into the houses.

• Like 3

All in all, I'm looking forward to all of the houses this year. And watching Cabin in the Woods and Evil Dead, and re-watching American Werewolf in London only made me more excited to see how they integrate the movies into the houses.

This is something I think that has added a lot to the event this year actually. I'm going with a big group of people and we've been getting together each Saturday to watch these movies and we'll be watching some The Walking Dead and an episode of Grimm about La Llorona this Saturday. There's definitely something to be said about being able to enjoy this with others rather than speculating online about original houses.

Of course, a balance between original and IP is important, but these IPs really have made the hype-building time enjoyable. Though I'm the diehard fan of my friends, they have really enjoyed debating what scenes will make it into the houses and what they want to see.

Edited by Kpop HHN Luvr

Don't post often but here we go. The use of zombies not in a comical form is hard to do in a house. When you watch zombie m ovies u you rarely see anyone die from 1 or. 2 zombies, it's normally a hoard. To pull this off we are talking way more casting just for 1house, then we are talking where do we fit all these people in the room. As a fan of the show, I was h oping at least the barn scene last year didn't disappoint,,, well ww all know that there was maybe 4 in the room and was a little underwhelming. I appreciated the house as a fan for getting to walk thru the sets and kinda immerse myself in the show, but the scares were lackluster due to zombies being not to frightening unless there is a whole damn swarm of em. The only way I could see that ever working is if they did it dead exposure style maybe with the flashing, but. That is limited. For 1 room.

Edited by TheBeast954
  • Like 1

Wow just caught up in everything. As I have stated before, I am a Walking Dead junkie. I even took a trip to where the show was filmed and walked the streets of Woodbury about 2 months ago and lots of other locations and also hunted down where they were currently filming. I am very pleased with the set design for this house. The nods to Merle, Lori, and Milton is awesome. Yea the masks aren't the greatest but its not like we are going to be in the daylight. It will be dark and when something pops out at me, it will still make me jump regardless of what they are wearing. I have been going to HHN for the last 12 years and I have to say, I am probably in the minority here and really pumped more for this event than the previous 2 years. I think all the houses look solid and bc of my TWD obsession, the streets should be pretty cool.

• Like 4

I feel like i'm still one of the very few people that are actually excited for this house, whether the videos were "bad" (which they werent) or not.

And the streets? They're looking BEAUTIFUL, i saw this one picture earlier, and forgot that it was part of Universal, haha.

Also....

Off topic, but anyone know if there will be a Wait Time app this year for the houses?

I think this year is gonna be insane! No doubt that they made corrections from last years TWD house that kinda fell flat. But Evil Dead and AWIL are enough to get me down there again for sure!

We just bought our tix to the UTH tour. It will be awesome but I will contemplate suicide if we dont get to go through the AWIL maze. I want a photo with the wolf so bad I can taste it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

My wife was told that they are swithcing it up constantly.

But I hope your info is correct because we are doing the 2pm tour!

If it was Universal sales that said that.. I'd take it with a grain of salt they never seem to know things but tell you anyway with strong convictions sometimes. :P

I was assured I got a AP discount... ready to give my cc and suddenly no... no AP discount.

But I hope its right too. no one really knows for sure till we get there BUT some reliable people have told me AWIL, LL, and CITW 2:00 PM and 10:30 Evil Dead, TWD, and RE.

If it was Universal sales that said that.. I'd take it with a grain of salt they never seem to know things but tell you anyway with strong convictions sometimes. :P

I was assured I got a AP discount... ready to give my cc and suddenly no... no AP discount.

But I hope its right too. no one really knows for sure till we get there BUT some reliable people have told me AWIL, LL, and CITW 2:00 PM and 10:30 Evil Dead, TWD, and RE.

AP discount for what? The tour?

Ok caught up on this thread after being away awhile. All I can say about TWD house is that whether you liked or loathed the walkthrough videos the good news is that's going to be the poorest house of them all. All the other houses are of the highest quality so if you liked TWD then you're gonna be blown away by the others. I can also confirm what JW said about the tours. UNI sales gave me the exact same list of houses for the morning and afternoon tours when I booked so unless they change it that's what you will get :)

• Like 3