HHN 23 Discussion

I believe people feel the commercial reflects on the level of quality for the event as a whole.

But it really doesn't. The houses are AMAZING this year... except for one.

The streets are just icing anyway. But still they are dumping a lot into the streets too... whether you like TWD or not.

It will definitely be a year to remember.

• Like 6

Guest kiwisoup

I believe people feel the commercial reflects on the level of quality for the event as a whole.

But it really doesn't. The houses are AMAZING this year... except for one.

The streets are just icing anyway. But still they are dumping a lot into the streets too... whether you like TWD or not.

It will definitely be a year to remember.

What's the "one" that isn't amazing? JW

I don't want to say simply bc it was a scare issue and I don't want to jump the gun and say it will be horrible. (not to mention I have not been through so it is only reports from others)

Things change and I wouldn't want to taint your view of the house going into it.

BUT the good news is (other than one being kind of short) I have heard nothing but love for set and scares. :)

• Like 2

Sounds like Afterlife is going to be the "meh" house to me. Wasn't really that impressed with the pics to be honest.

Obviously it is a case of everyone having different taste preferences, but If it is anything like The In-Between it may surprise you. Given how surprisingly good that house was, I would keep an open mind.

I did not hear anywhere that Afterlife was a lighter house. I thought it was supposed to be a darker spiritual successor of The In-Between? If anything, I figured Cabin in the Woods was our dark comedy house.

• Like 2

Sounds like Walking Dead will be the meh house to me. I think some of us may have HHN amensia as that house was actually rather boring - including the whole end sequence. I've walked through airport terminals that were scarier than that house. I'm just not sure how much they can actually improve on the scares - though the set will be much better.

Also consider the following:

- Walking Dead was supposed to be the wow house for a lot of people (especially the GP) last year.

- The GP was probably disappointed at how short and thrown together it looked and expressed it through surveys.

- Thus, A&D feels compelled to make up for it by making a longer and more elaborate version (as seen already by the pictures they've shown).

- Time spent on making it longer and more elaborate may have taken away time for well-planned scares (of which there were barely any last year as well)

Thus, long and boring is the result.

• Like 1

I dont think it can be La llorona or Cabin in the woods. (Cabin just because of all the different creatures they are going to have in there)

I think it might end up being Evil dead.

Yeah that's what I would assume as well. Having watched both the original and remake, I could understand how a house rendition could feel drawn out

• Like 1

Yeah that's what I would assume as well. Having watched both the original and remake, I could understand how a house rendition could feel drawn out

I Was looking at Hollywood's video of their house today and, I can't say I am too impressed. The sets might look good but I don't really see how the remake makes a good IP to use for HHN. Of course the house might be amazing and I might be completely wrong here. But the one house I am not really that excited about is this one.

• Like 1

I Was looking at Hollywood's video of their house today and, I can't say I am too impressed. The sets might look good but I don't really see how the remake makes a good IP to use for HHN. Of course the house might be amazing and I might be completely wrong here. But the one house I am not really that excited about is this one.

Agreed. It has the potential for good scares, but I feel that would be entirely attributed to the design team and their creativity. Couldn't really credit the remake for scare factor. As was mentioned in a previous post, some of those who saw the first film were a bit underwhelmed by the remake, so that could cause a disconnect with the property becoming a house. Had they done this prior to the remake...That might have been a little different.

• Like 1

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of houses... and they weren't my opinions anyway. I hadn't seen any houses till tonight.

I agree that seeing it for yourself is the best way to form an opinion. But expressing negativity towards it before it happens can change people's expectations in a bad way. So I was opting not to (any more than I previously had)... Nor was I directing it at you or anyone else.

I wouldn't say anything at all but hey they allowed the full house to get recorded... So yeah it was the "long but dull house" I was told.

But watch it (or don't and wait till you go) and make the opinion yourself.

Many did not like the house last year... and many did I'm sure. After watching the walk through myself... I'm not jazzed about it this year either. To each his own though.The sets look cool though and I'm sure it will be fine for a run or two.

I'm still excited for the rest of the houses and there is usually a house or two that don't hit home with an individual. That's what is so great about the variety they offer.

• Like 4

Last year was its own thing and A&D is always making improvements. Plus, what scares us and what we find entertaining is obviously quite subjective.

I wouldn't say I'm a hater, though- I just think that what's scary about The Walking Dead is the reaction the characters have to the zombies and the suspense you feel. I even told my friends that watching the first episode of Season 3 was one of the worst decisions I made recently because it had me so on edge because of the suspense.

When you remove that element of character reaactions and suspense and it's just the zombies, it's actually not as scary. Part of this suffers from Aiello's staunch committment to Romero-style zombies, which though great for street cred among diehards, doesn't really translate well into an intense experience. This is especially true if the zombies are expected to bear the burden of the scares - which, one can't argue that this is the truth for this house.

I'm still going to give it a fair chance, though the video didn't do much to bolster my hopes, and I'm certainly not going to be bashing it to my friends that I'm going with as I don't want to ruin it for them.

• Like 1

Part of this suffers from Aiello's staunch committment to Romero-style zombies, which though great for street cred among diehards, doesn't really translate well into an intense experience.

I don't think it's really fair to blame Mike. He has become the public figure so he has to hype what is done. The IP requires strict adherence to the zombie style. The scareactors in the house... Bless their hearts... they are trying to make it more intense but, in the process, are breaking character. I'd imagine they will be asked to reign the erratic fast behavior in.

I hope not. I like them faster. Otherwise we get the stare down approach.

The sets do look great though and a lot of attention to accurate details.

• Like 1