Pet Peeves about Horror Nights  

124 members have voted

1. 1. What is your biggest Pet Peeve about Halloween Horror Nights?

• People who scream at every little thing even when there not scared or no-ones around
    • People who bring there underage kids along ( younger then the age limit specified by universal)
    • Long lines
    • Lack of scares from the scare-actors
    • Mazes aren't dark enough
    • Mazes aren't long enough
    • All of the above

What annoys me the most is the generally rude people I've come across in my years of attending Halloween attractions. I can't vouch for anything at HHN, but I have my share of annoying/rude/drunks up where I live. For example, last year, I went to a local place called Slash Moraine. I was with my father, and right behind us was this positively irritating group of teenagers who were being a bunch of rude snobs. Yelling out "Not scary!", trying to scare me, attempting to scare everyone else...It was quite annoying, to say the least.

When I was eight years old, I went to a haunted hayride. There was a couple of drunks on the tractor ahead of us, and everyone could hear them loud and clear. I vaguely remember them trying to shove each other off of the ride, too. Ugh. x_x

My other complaint is when (this is going to get a bit hypocritical, here) parents bring their young'uns to the attraction. I, personally, have always been intrigued by HOS, HHN, and the like; I have never screamed too loudly, hopefully haven't been a bother, or been an a-hole. But when you bring your seven-year-old brat who screams at a pumpkin with a smiley face carved into it, who pushes everyone else around, and acts like a girl from My Super Sweet 16, that's when I get cranky. I've had my experiences with this, especially at Halloween Haunt and Slash Moraine. Seriously? Even though these places take place at Kings Island and Splash Moraine doesn't mean that it's going to be a kid friendly event.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't stand the girls (guys, too...but mostly teenage girls.) that scream at everything and anything. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of screams as much as the next guy, but only when it's actual terror. I've noticed some do it just for the sake of doing it then giggling like mad after wards. I find that some do it to be cute-sy rather than doing it out of actual fear.

I just now realized that since I'm a HHN virgin I shouldn't even be posting in this thread. Ahem...sorry about that. I suppose the above statement was more about houses in general rather than being HHN specific.

Mine has to be when people try to act like they aren't scared, then make a "smart" remark. For example, there is a scaractor who must keep their eyes open for the role, then someones says something like "Oh, lets have a staring contest." It completely ruins the atmosphere.

One major pet peeve when the clues start coming in are the people who look at the tiniest details and base their entire arguments off of those. As I once said, you could drop a beer bottle in the park and someone would extrapolate a clue to the theme based on the exact distance it rolled. A&D has never forced us to go pixel hunting mostly because they know that it's too much effort to hide hidden messages in single frames of a flowing river animation.

My two biggest would be the smoking in the queue lines when you're not supposed to. I can't stand that. And the other is people who destroy the outside and inside of the houses. It really pisses me off when people do that. Uni works to hard to build them and people should respect that...

-When people push, scream, and yell through the chainlink fences with the green mesh on them in the Parade Building/Sprung Tent queue lines. (Obnixious)

-Smoking in the queue line.I have asthma, so that on top of all the fog isn't that great. (Health Hazard)

-Drunk guests destroying anything in the park. I also hate drunks rudely talking to a scareactor or a guest. I hate anying a drunk does. (Rude)

-Teens trying to get a drink. (Really)

-Girls that scream every single second. (Annoying)

-People that have no clue what they're going to. "Oh, hey. Let's go to that burnt down school haunted house! It's all smoky inside and there's all these little kids and everything. (Oh what they're missing)

-Little screaming babies, toddlers, or any child, unless they can fully handle it. (Bad Parenting)

-Line Cutters (Unfair)

-When people push, scream, and yell through the chainlink fences with the green mesh on them in the Parade Building/Sprung Tent queue lines. (Obnixious)

-Smoking in the queue line.I have asthma, so that on top of all the fog isn't that great. (Health Hazard)

-Drunk guests destroying anything in the park. I also hate drunks rudely talking to a scareactor or a guest. I hate anying a drunk does. (Rude)

-Teens trying to get a drink. (Really)

-Girls that scream every single second. (Annoying)

-People that have no clue what they're going to. "Oh, hey. Let's go to that burnt down school haunted house! It's all smoky inside and there's all these little kids and everything. (Oh what they're missing)

-Little screaming babies, toddlers, or any child, unless they can fully handle it. (Bad Parenting)

-Line Cutters (Unfair)

I completely agree with all of these. Especially the chainlink fence thing and the drunks acting rude and being destructive. Or the people that just like to be an ass about everything at the event, drunk or not. Why bother going?

yea those that green chainlink fence were a pet peeve of mine last year, not only was it annoying and kinda of immature but it was also very dangerous, you have no idea how many people i saw that almost got hit by people pushing the fence.

i also dislike when people, especially girls will "overact" when getting scare

Underage kids, long lines, and short mazes.

On a sidenote though, even though everyone runs into a rude drunk eventually, I always wind up running into the "fun" drunks. Every year I have an experience with a random drunk dude that easily wins the award for DRUNK OF THE YEAR!!!

In HHN XX I was waiting in line for, I think it was LT: Wyandot Estate. It was a pretty long line and so this one drunk dude decides to try to make the wait more fun. He'd run up and down the line trying to get everyone to do the wave. It was actually pretty funny, I'm not ashamed to admit he got me to do the wave. Hey, i was bored and he provided a source of amusement and fun. Sure, I imagine some found him annoying but he made the long wait more fun and gave me something to take my mind off of how long the line was. And that's why he gets; DRUNK OF THE YEAR!!!!

Underage kids, long lines, and short mazes.

On a sidenote though, even though everyone runs into a rude drunk eventually, I always wind up running into the "fun" drunks. Every year I have an experience with a random drunk dude that easily wins the award for DRUNK OF THE YEAR!!!

In HHN XX I was waiting in line for, I think it was LT: Wyandot Estate. It was a pretty long line and so this one drunk dude decides to try to make the wait more fun. He'd run up and down the line trying to get everyone to do the wave. It was actually pretty funny, I'm not ashamed to admit he got me to do the wave. Hey, i was bored and he provided a source of amusement and fun. Sure, I imagine some found him annoying but he made the long wait more fun and gave me something to take my mind off of how long the line was. And that's why he gets; DRUNK OF THE YEAR!!!!

That should be a new Nightmares Tradition: Drunk of the Year awards.

We nominate our experiences with an awesome drunk, and then we vote on the best one.

People trying to jump on the fence by tent 2. The others are kind of back ground noise at this point. I'm pretty much used to them. Give it a year or two and I'll probably hate the newest thing that is annoying that guest to and just be able to tune out people jumping on the fence.

Though some assholes are pretty easy to get back at. It's not problem for someone to "accidentally" trip and fall into a drunk and spill their drink or "forget to look" where you're swinging your arm so it coincidentally meets with a line jumper. Plausible deniability, my friends.

My wife and I have discovered the best way to deal with line-jumpers: Don't let them through. The reason those people jump the line is because they figure no one will say anything to them. If you simply block their path and tell them to F-Off they'll normally back down. When they start saying their friends/family/dog is ahead in line, tell them that they should come wait with you.

2009 a group of twelve was trying to meet up with two people who were holding their place. We let three of the twelve pass before blocking off the rest of the group. After a minute of arguing, they all ended up behind us.

My pet peeve is when people don't know the difference between "there" and "their" ;)

Honestly, those were all very good peeves in the list. I don't usually choose "all of the above" but it was really applicable here.

But for HHN Orlando, my major pet peeves all concern the Express Pass:

1) They sell far too many of them, often resulting in an obscenely long line and a rediculously long line

2) They limit the use to one entry per house.

3) Toward the end of the night - when the EP lines would normally begin to get short - they turn around and sell a "Mini EP" that fills them right back up.

4) The Frequent Fear + EP they started selling makes things even worse.

I've been to HHN Hollywood on even the most crowded nights, and their equivalent of the EP line is always empty. They strictly limit their Front of the Line Pass sales, and it makes for a much better experience. Plus, you can use the pass as much as you want for the night. You'd think that fewer houses and rides, coupled with unlimited entries would make the EP lines huge, but they simply don't in Hollywood. BTW, peak nights in USH still have standy waits of 75+ minutes.

I'm not suggesting there is a good solution here. The problem is that you have two different clientele between the coasts. Orlando is 90% tourists - who will pay for the upgrade regardless of price, and Hollywood is 90% locals who are usually happy without the upgrade. Orlando could charge $120 for an unlimited EP, and they'd still sell a ton.

My wife and I have discovered the best way to deal with line-jumpers: Don't let them through. The reason those people jump the line is because they figure no one will say anything to them. If you simply block their path and tell them to F-Off they'll normally back down. When they start saying their friends/family/dog is ahead in line, tell them that they should come wait with you.

2009 a group of twelve was trying to meet up with two people who were holding their place. We let three of the twelve pass before blocking off the rest of the group. After a minute of arguing, they all ended up behind us.

I've been going since 2004, and I've never experienced line jumpers at HHN (or Universal). At Six Flags, on the other hand, it's everywhere.

I've been going since 2004, and I've never experienced line jumpers at HHN (or Universal). At Six Flags, on the other hand, it's everywhere.

worst thing ever would be drunks acting stupid and smoking in line then fights with staff when there told to put it out.

I think part of why it's not an issue at Universal, specifically at HHN is the presence of Entrance/Attraction Ops. People complain about Ops but if we didn't have them the lines would be pandemonium. I can think of very few instances where people were trying to cut lines at HHN because of how plentiful Ops is and there presence alone cuts back on people trying to do it. As well as when people try and do it you are almost always within 5 minutes of someone in Ops and can tell them.

I hate line jumpers but last year I got a laugh out of a couple of them my girlfriend and I were waiting in the ep line for orfanage. And it was late do even the ep line was a hour wait well I had turned to kiss her and this couple used the oportunity to skip us. Of course I was pissed and voicing my opinion loudly but then karmra hit they got to the uni employee scanning ep's and low and behold they "lost" theirs. Ha ha score

I agree with many of these (drunks, children unprepared for the event, destructive guests) but my number one, absolute, most heinous pet peeve is the person who has been to the event for years and can only pick and gripe about how 'this year sucks' and that 'nothing is scary anymore' and 'when I went...' Honestly, if it is that disappointing to you, just stay home. It will save you money and spare the rest of us how much you thought it sucked. Shut up, already.

Mae

I agree with many of these (drunks, children unprepared for the event, destructive guests) but my number one, absolute, most heinous pet peeve is the person who has been to the event for years and can only pick and gripe about how 'this year sucks' and that 'nothing is scary anymore' and 'when I went...' Honestly, if it is that disappointing to you, just stay home. It will save you money and spare the rest of us how much you thought it sucked. Shut up, already.

Mae

i think we will see that every year.lol can't complain about an event u dont attend.

edit im down for a drunk of the year award

Edited by localHHNfan19

'nothing is scary anymore'

That really starts to be a valid argument after a while. B) Not that it's anymore or less scary now it's just harder to actually scare the individual. I don't complain unless I feel it's warranted but I do wish I was able to get scares like I used to 2006-2008

That really starts to be a valid argument after a while. B) Not that it's anymore or less scary now it's just harder to actually scare the individual. I don't complain unless I feel it's warranted but I do wish I was able to get scares like I used to 2006-2008

But, honestly, you have to LET yourself get scared. Nothing there is really scary. We all know that it's fake. The fun is letting yourself go and getting scared. If you go into the situation without 'lightening up' you'll NEVER be scared. If you're so far gone that you can't enjoy yourself then stay home.

Mae

But, honestly, you have to LET yourself get scared. Nothing there is really scary. We all know that it's fake. The fun is letting yourself go and getting scared. If you go into the situation without 'lightening up' you'll NEVER be scared. If you're so far gone that you can't enjoy yourself then stay home.

Mae

I used to get nervous but...I can't anymore. I don't get nervous, I know to many actors, I know how the scares are set up, etc. It's hard for me to get scared when I know my friend is the one doing it. The first two nights I go I might get scares but.....after that it's doubtful. When I was 15 I could get scares easily; if it was as easy as lets make myself nervous and jumpy then I would but alas, I can not.

At this point I'm going more to just enjoy and appreciate them practically making movies come to life. I'm thrilled when I get scares but it's a rare occurrence that brings me joy when it happens.