HHN 2017 Discussion

I don't mind The Purge being a staple at the event, as long as each year they try something new and innovative with it. But I believe 3 of those years, it was just a scarezone, and one year a Terror Tram (which TBH isn't all that much different), so finally getting it in maze form is a bit exciting, but at this point seems way too late for me to be very excited. And from what I've seen of construction pix, the Purge portion seems similar to the Gauntlet before you enter the theater facade. Perfect world, it would be one year of SZ, one year of TT, one year of a full blown maze, and then, I don't know, a Purge show like Bill and Ted or Chucky's Insult Emporium, or even just secretly throwing Purgers into scarezones/TT every once and awhile (ala The Strangers).

14 hours ago, dereksdominance said:

For some reason I can't imagine Jigsaw having the highest wait times. AHS is a very popular series but Roanoke was practically hated by everyone so I wonder if that will affect it. 

Do you remember the user? Titans sounds like will be a huge draw because it has three legends of horror that even casual horror fans know and love. Maybe Shining will dominate the lower lot and ToT will dominate the upper lot? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed6jyQUv6vc

Had to dig through my history haha 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2017 at 9:32 AM, wow said:

It's probably gonna come next year and they'll market it as "a living trailer". Next year should be verrry interesting when it comes to the IP's since it might be a ton of new ones(side note but if It comes AHS Cult might not since they're similar; we might finally get Asylum). Anyways yeah It is made for HHN and needs to come asap

Next year should be interesting being that we get a new 'Halloween' movie, 'It' can finally come to HHN (and have more justice done than the Neibolt St Experience did), a new 'Predator' movie, a 'Green Inferno' sequel (the first could have been a maze), and apparently a 'Slenderman' movie (though the hype for him has died so much I think the film will fail, but the setting/various creatures of the mythology has potential for a maze). 

Also wonder if it'll become a 'thing' to have one classic horror film at the event now. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, bendelthegreat said:

Next year should be interesting being that we get a new 'Halloween' movie, 'It' can finally come to HHN (and have more justice done than the Neibolt St Experience did), a new 'Predator' movie, a 'Green Inferno' sequel (the first could have been a maze), and apparently a 'Slenderman' movie (though the hype for him has died so much I think the film will fail, but the setting/various creatures of the mythology has potential for a maze). 

Also wonder if it'll become a 'thing' to have one classic horror film at the event now. 

I'm really hoping Murdy takes advantage of The new Predator movie being released next year and making a Predator maze next year. He can easily reuse the props from The AvP mazes.

I finally watched IT yesterday and I'm really bummed out it's not a maze this year. It would of been perfect to bring it this year cause of the movie's super high popularity so far, the release date being a week before HHN starts and how good reviews it has.

Edited by StraightEdge
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bendelthegreat said:

*ik it's much too early to speculate 2018 but we already know most of the lineup*

If I had to guess...(* = basically confirmed)

*The Conjuring: Waterworld

*Halloween: PC

*It: JP Queue

The Thing(based on original): 747 Queue

Predator: Metro Sets

*Twin Peaks: Mummy Queue

*TWD Attraction

*AHS: Asylum: FDTD Area

Going off of that... every IP is a new one if that ends up being the lineup. The only guranteed ones are It, Conjuring, and AHS.  I'm betting the Thing is coming due to just how requested it is, and how Murdy wants to do it. If Predator weren't a maze however, it would be a very good scarezone. Also; I see Twin Peaks coming due to Chris Galindo hinting that discussion for it has already happened behind the scenes, what would be in it is beyond me.

*now we go back to 2017 talk*.

This year is a good lineup but I wish something else had come in the place of ToT(it was supposed to be Conjuring I know), and I wish they would've done something else instead of Insidious and saved it for next year.

Edited by wow
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, StraightEdge said:

I'm really hoping Murdy takes advantage of The new Predator movie being released next year and making a Predator maze next year. He can easily reuse the props from The AvP mazes.

I finally watched IT yesterday and I'm really bummed out it's not a maze this year. It would of been perfect to bring it this year cause of the movie's super high popularity so far, the release date being a week before HHN starts and how good reviews it has.

I'm finally back home and I'll post pics/vids I got at the park today in a bit.

'It' has the biggest horror opening ever, as well as the biggest 'R' rates opening since 'Deadpool', and has already earned back its budget; not to mention that on Thursday alone it earned more than 'The Dark Tower' did its whole theatrical run. A stellar rating on Rotten Tomatoes and nothing but praise. I feel like something could have been done with WB to get it to HHN, and it sounds like Murdy fought hard to get it. Here's hoping it'll headline next year's event because I'd hate for it to become a mashup house like 'Insidious: Into the Further'. 'It' has more than enough material to cover a full maze and still come back 2019 for the sequel. 

I was was also hoping 'Covenant' would come this year with some old 'AvP' props to save budget, but I guess it got eased out. Here's hoping 'Predator' can make an appearance next year with (here's a long shot) the classic 'Alien' taking the 'Exorcist'/'Shining' spot as the slow burn classic horror maze. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bendelthegreat said:

'It' has the biggest horror opening ever, as well as the biggest 'R' rates opening since 'Deadpool', and has already earned back its budget; not to mention that on Thursday alone it earned more than 'The Dark Tower' did its whole theatrical run. A stellar rating on Rotten Tomatoes and nothing but praise. I feel like something could have been done with WB to get it to HHN, and it sounds like Murdy fought hard to get it. Here's hoping it'll headline next year's event because I'd hate for it to become a mashup house like 'Insidious: Into the Further'. 'It' has more than enough material to cover a full maze and still come back 2019 for the sequel. 

I was was also hoping 'Covenant' would come this year with some old 'AvP' props to save budget, but I guess it got eased out. Here's hoping 'Predator' can make an appearance next year with (here's a long shot) the classic 'Alien' taking the 'Exorcist'/'Shining' spot as the slow burn classic horror maze. 

Alien would be a great maze, hugeeeee budget though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wow said:

*ik it's much too early to speculate 2018 but we already know most of the lineup*

If I had to guess...

The Conjuring: Waterworld

Halloween: PC

It: JP Queue

The Thing(based on or original): 747 Queue

Twin Peaks: Mummy Queue

TWD Attraction

AHS: Asylum: FDTD Area

I'd be pretty down if that were it! And with the massive surge of 'Twin Peaks' attention that came with the newest (and final) season, it has that pop culture presence Murdy wants in an IP ('Twin Peaks' has always loomed in pop culture, but it seems to have blown up this past Summer thanks to Showtime).

1 minute ago, wow said:

Alien would be a great maze, hugeeeee budget though. 

They could probably pull it off. Looks like 'The Shining' is going through extreme lengths to replicate the movie exactly, down to the font of the numbers on the door. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bendelthegreat said:

I'd be pretty down if that were it! And with the massive surge of 'Twin Peaks' attention that came with the newest (and final) season, it has that pop culture presence Murdy wants in an IP ('Twin Peaks' has always loomed in pop culture, but it seems to have blown up this past Summer thanks to Showtime).

I'd be more than okay with Twin Peaks showing up. My only thing is whether or not it'd feel to similar to The Shining(I've never seen Twin Peaks in full but from the clips I've seen they seem similar). If that were the lineup however it seems like there'd be no duds. The only house I'm not sure would come or not is Asylum, but I'm leaning towards a "yes" because two clown houses in one year is a little much, and Murdy knows that.

Edited by wow
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, bendelthegreat said:

They could probably pull it off. Looks like 'The Shining' is going through extreme lengths to replicate the movie exactly, down to the font of the numbers on the door. 

I watched the older seasons of Twin Peaks. It wasn't scary at all lol Are the new seasons? Because I don't see a way this could be a good maze 

1 hour ago, Arsik_22 said:

Here's all of the available merch so far!

https://youtu.be/p8Vo9y66qg0

This should be an annual thing for you!   "Arsik's Annual HHN Pre-Show and Merchandise Spooktacular".  Heh.

Impressive merchandise line-up this year, however, I think some of the shirts are a little gaudy.  That big vinyl lettering kind of prevents it from being worn all year.  

Edited by AsylumSB
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, wow said:

If I had to guess...

The Conjuring: Waterworld

Halloween: PC

It: JP Queue

The Thing(based on or original): 747 Queue

Twin Peaks: Mummy Queue

TWD Attraction

AHS: Asylum: FDTD Area

Going off of that... every IP is a new one if that ends up being the lineup. The only guranteed ones are It, Conjuring, and AHS.  I'm betting the Thing is coming due to just how requested it is, and how Murdy wants to do it. If Predator weren't a maze however, it would be a very good scarezone. Also; I see Twin Peaks coming due to Chris Galindo hinting that discussion for it has already happened behind the scenes, what would be in it is beyond me.

*now we go back to 2017 talk*.

This year is a good lineup but I wish something else had come in the place of ToT(it was supposed to be Conjuring I know), and I wish they would've done something else instead of Insidious and saved it for next year.

This lineup sounds perfect and much better than this year's in my opinion.  Love the variety. 

Those maze previews of Shining look promising, especially because there were not any blackout hallways shown. The use of the "All work and no play" was a nice touch. Insidious looks like fun too! 

Edited by dereksdominance

8 minutes ago, dereksdominance said:

This lineup sounds perfect and much better than this year's in my opinion.  Love the variety. 

Yeah I'd take it anyday. However, things can change and this year's lineup went from being highly anticipated to getting a lukewarm reception by the people on the forums. I could definitely see a monster Mashup maze next year considering how well received mashups typically are, and with Murdy wanting to do a classic monsters maze. Additionally, the only houses on that lineup I don't think might make the cut are Conjuring, Asylum, & Predator. Conjuring has a shot next year since we already have the rights, it's just a matter of whether or not another lawsuit happens. Not sure when Predators opening but it's earlier in the year and bombs it would be kinda like a "why is that here?" type of house. As for Asylum, it all depends on if Murdy wants to have two clown houses or something else. I see Asylum coming next year and then the following year Cult; with Coven appearing in 2019 as a mashup with the Murder House/Coven crossover.

Edited by wow
  • Like 1

I generally don't like the merch they have for some reason. I think I personally like, approximately one item/apparel they have per year, if even that (although I got absolutely nothing last year, 'cause they sold out of souvenir cups and I'm made [btw, if anyone has an extra souvenir cup from 2016, lmk, I need one for my collection]).

The zip-up was the only thing I was really interested in, although I think most of the reason for me this year is that I'm just not a fan of most of the IPs, or not a big enough fan, I should say. But I also have literally like 15 zip-ups/hoodies, so I really don't need another. I'm going the last weekend and I might be able to get an employee discount if I do things right, and it's already gonna be heavily discounted, so I'll see when I go (if I go). 

Kool vid, glad it didn't skip things. I agree that they should've kept the "Come Play With Us" style with the rest of their merch. 

• Like 1

I feel like Ash vs Evil Dead and Blumhouse will be like Krampus from the past year, meaning noticeably lower than the rest.  Of course Walking Dead will be lowest, but I don't consider it a proper maze. 

I expect the highest wait to be The Shining, at least initially, though if it isn't received well it may dip.  Consistant high waits will be at AHS and ToT.

Insidious and Saw are up in the air.  They have the potential to be near top high waits, but given that both movies (Jigsaw and Insidious 4) won't be out for most people to see, it could have less interest.

On a side note, can you imagine the hype if IT was included with this years HHN, or for that matter the Conjuring as well?  It might actually be the nearest to a perfect year.

7 hours ago, themazethinker said:

i want to know guys, how would you guys do a 1982 the thing maze or a it house

An IT house would have an entrance that looked like the Neibolt house.  I don't know the order, but these are the scenes that should be included (Spoilers Ahead):

basement scene
scary woman picture scene
library scene
bloody bathroom scene
meat room scene
sewers scene w/ pennywise dancing

final scene of pennywise being beaten

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AsylumSB said:

This should be an annual thing for you!   "Arsik's Annual HHN Pre-Show and Merchandise Spooktacular".  Heh.

Impressive merchandise line-up this year, however, I think some of the shirts are a little gaudy.  That big vinyl lettering kind of prevents it from being worn all year.  

Not a bad idea! Haha Agreed, I wish they stopped using that blood font. A simple logo with the year, and the design on the back would be a lot nicer. 

• Like 1

I don't know why you all think that the theme will dictate the wait times of the houses.  Locations have consistently been the drivers of wait times.  Look at the backlot - the first tent you hit when you get there has always had the highest wait time of the backlot houses, regardless of what's in it.  Same for the Mummy queue houses (when the entrance is on the Transformers side).  Lots of people make the decision to hit it vs make the long walk to the backlot.  I mean, how else do you explain consistent huge waits for This is the End?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zombieman said:

I don't know why you all think that the theme will dictate the wait times of the houses.  Locations have consistently been the drivers of wait times.  Look at the backlot - the first tent you hit when you get there has always had the highest wait time of the backlot houses, regardless of what's in it.  Same for the Mummy queue houses (when the entrance is on the Transformers side).  Lots of people make the decision to hit it vs make the long walk to the backlot.  I mean, how else do you explain consistent huge waits for This is the End?

I never saw a long line for This is the End. It was always advertised higher than it actually was. All three times I went, I never waited longer than 15 minutes. And I hit it at different times in my game plan. Each time, it said about an hour wait. And even when elsewhere in the park, the highest I saw it SAID 90 minutes, while Walking Dead, Insidious, and Halloween were often LEGITIMATE 120+ minutes.

• Like 1

I remember seeing the skull with eyes from The Evil Dead II poster painted on one of walls in The Purge: Gauntlet of Fear scare zone and now we have Ash vs. Evil Dead this year. Keep your eyes peeled for any references to other IP's. I heard references are hidden every year to a maze that comes the next year.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, StraightEdge said:

I remember seeing the skull with eyes from The Evil Dead II poster painted on one of walls in The Purge: Gauntlet of Fear scare zone and now we have Ash vs. Evil Dead this year. Keep your eyes peeled for any references to other IP's. I heard references are hidden every year to a maze that comes the next year.

John said that he didn't even notice that the evil Dead 2 poster was in the gauntlet so he didn't place it in there as a clue for this year, it was put in there as probably an Easter egg rather than a reference to the next year

its usually Orlando that puts in references to the next year within their mazes

46 minutes ago, HorrorNightsFan13 said:

John said that he didn't even notice that the evil Dead 2 poster was in the gauntlet so he didn't place it in there as a clue for this year, it was put in there as probably an Easter egg rather than a reference to the next year

its usually Orlando that puts in references to the next year within their mazes

That's what I meant, an Easter egg, my bad.