HHN 27 Speculation

hhnfan95

When I first saw the website and logo, I immediately thought of the Caretaker/Cindy and I still do. There are  some compelling arguments for Day of the Dead/ lady death, but the design still doesn't register DoTD to me. As Alice said I see warmth transitioning into cool, I thought maybe it had something to do with fire and water. Maybe the fire "killed" him/his family, but water brought them back or helped them escape the fire? I think marketing is still in the drivers seat regarding icons. If that is true and this happens to be the Caretakers year, it will be easy to use Cindy next year because they familiarized the general public with the Caretaker/his story. Similar to the use of Jack for 25 and Chance for 26. It is easy and appeases the masses. Some may even say "Oh, I remember that Caretaker guy from 25!" After 28, they would need an icon for HHN29 (they could use Usher, Storyteller or Director, maybe even Eddie) and we are at HHN30, which I imagine would contain all the icons used at HHN25. Don't want to sound like a Debbie downer, but it is very marketing thing to do. If there was a brand new icon it would really surprise me and I am overdue for a surprise. 

It's going to be interesting to see how the Icons play out the next few years that's for sure. While the "Big Five" will always be a focal point, I can see them wanting more Icons to join their ranks. If we do in fact get a Caretaker/Cindy combo, that would make Cindy more well known so come 30, they would have another new Icon (along with Chance) to join the ranks of big name Icon status.

It's going to come down to how much they promote and use the new Icon, whomever it may be. I thought we were not going to get an HHN announcement until tomorrow (I thought something was scheduled?) so maybe we will be learning more soon!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LuckBeALadyTonite said:

I'm not getting the Dia de los Muertos thing at all. This screams Victorian aesthetics a la Caretaker.

I looked up pictures of voodoo altars, and it seems like that is what the homepage picture is pointing too. The site could be trying to tie together Catacombs, Voodoo Queen, and potentially Cindy if she truly is a fortune teller.

Edited by UsherBscary
  • Like 1

So, totally random thought but I did some searching through the website code and something kinda major stuck out...

The main .gif that is running where we see the roses floating in some water with the skull behind has a strange name. It found at "img/hero/HHN17-Teaser-Desktop.gif"

Either that was a random slip up and we went back 10 years or it was very intentional. Looking at HHN 17 stuff, another name stuck out from a well regarded IP house: Mary Shaw. 

She was a demonic ventriloquist that had 101 dolls. The tag line "All our times will come" could be her dolls saying they are all coming out to play in a sense. The use of "All" has been throwing me off all night. All implies more than 2. If it was just Cindy and Caretaker, it should have been "Our time will come". 101 dolls would make more sense to use the word "All" for. 

40 minutes ago, CATVII said:

When I first saw the website and logo, I immediately thought of the Caretaker/Cindy and I still do. There are  some compelling arguments for Day of the Dead/ lady death, but the design still doesn't register DoTD to me. As Alice said I see warmth transitioning into cool, I thought maybe it had something to do with fire and water. Maybe the fire "killed" him/his family, but water brought them back or helped them escape the fire? I think marketing is still in the drivers seat regarding icons. If that is true and this happens to be the Caretakers year, it will be easy to use Cindy next year because they familiarized the general public with the Caretaker/his story. Similar to the use of Jack for 25 and Chance for 26. It is easy and appeases the masses. Some may even say "Oh, I remember that Caretaker guy from 25!" After 28, they would need an icon for HHN29 (they could use Usher, Storyteller or Director, maybe even Eddie) and we are at HHN30, which I imagine would contain all the icons used at HHN25. Don't want to sound like a Debbie downer, but it is very marketing thing to do. If there was a brand new icon it would really surprise me and I am overdue for a surprise. 

I agree. The fire sounds interesting to me. I remember when they posted a picture of one of the tents facades. It looked like the building was going to have a fire effect to it. To me it looked like a burning building facade. 

1 minute ago, Badge said:

So, totally random thought but I did some searching through the website code and something kinda major stuck out...

The main .gif that is running where we see the roses floating in some water with the skull behind has a strange name. It found at "img/hero/HHN17-Teaser-Desktop.gif"

Either that was a random slip up and we went back 10 years or it was very intentional. Looking at HHN 17 stuff, another name stuck out from a well regarded IP house: Mary Shaw. 

She was a demonic ventriloquist that had 101 dolls. The tag line "All our times will come" could be her dolls saying they are all coming out to play in a sense. The use of "All" has been throwing me off all night. All implies more than 2. If it was just Cindy and Caretaker, it should have been "Our time will come". 101 dolls would make more sense to use the word "All" for. 

I'm sticking with it beaing a "Don't Fear the Reaper" reference, and we get either the Grim Reaper, or Death himself.

26 minutes ago, Badge said:

I'm pretty sure HHN17-Teaser is just a short hand way of labeling HHN 2017 Teaser

Chiming in for the first time in a lonnnnnng time. Just a couple observations.

" All Our Times Will Come.  Soon."  Wasn't there a few tweets saying we would get an update "soon"? Maybe alluding to this slogan all along?

The frame design kind of reminds me of Jack's spinning saw frame for 25. The red to blue gradient is also reminiscent of Chance's colors last year.  Cool to see the same aesthetic carry through.

These aren't groundbreaking observations, but the new update is the first time I've gotten excited in a few years.

Edited by thefitness

11 minutes ago, rockingamer17 said:

I'm pretty sure HHN17-Teaser is just a short hand way of labeling HHN 2017 Teaser

But everything else not related to the "hero" is labeled correctly as 27 or 2017. The only place that mentions HHN17 is where it deals with the Icon. 

1 minute ago, Badge said:

But everything else not related to the "hero" is labeled correctly as 27 or 2017. The only place that mentions HHN17 is where it deals with the Icon. 

The possible tie in here could be what Manics said a while back, with the Fortune Teller from the HHN17 commercial being the icon. Personally, I don't think Dead Silence would make sense because it's not really a property that's very relevant anymore; that and nobody's been begging for it to return(despite how good the house was).

39 minutes ago, RevFreako said:

I'm sticking with it beaing a "Don't Fear the Reaper" reference, and we get either the Grim Reaper, or Death himself.

Back in 2009, a user on the Vault (don't know if he's still here?) had this idea for the Grim Reaper as an icon. It sounded really good (though it did copy a lot of '08 concepts)--one of the scarezones was an evil version of Candyland.

Is it possible that "all our times will come" could mean that they are combining some of the icons that were never used? Cindy, Nathaniel Crow was rumored at one point and Voodoo Queen idk if she was ever supposed to be an icon but she was axed early on and maybe now is their time? Just a thought

• Like 2

1 minute ago, elhev said:

Is it possible that "all our times will come" could mean that they are combining some of the icons that were never used? Cindy, Nathaniel Crow was rumored at one point and Voodoo Queen idk if she was ever supposed to be an icon but she was axed early on and maybe now is their time? Just a thought

If that happened then this year would immediately be the best year *in my opinion*

Edited by wow
  • Like 1

• Gambit pinned this topic
1 hour ago, elhev said:

That's an interesting idea! My friend was talking to someone a while ago who claimed to have inside information (who knows?), and asked about the Cindy theory. He had told her that she could be an icon this year, but that they had been teasing a few. (Again, I'm not sure how reliable this person is, but he has known announcement dates so far, so fingers crossed!) I've also heard speculation from a similar source that they were looking at maybe doing Outlast, perhaps as the VR house. Obviously, I don't know anything for certain, but I'd love to see multiple icons!

3 hours ago, LuckBeALadyTonite said:

I'm not getting the Dia de los Muertos thing at all. This screams Victorian aesthetics a la Caretaker.

I agree completely. It all feels very classically gothic - right down to the skull insignia - and definitely brings to mind the Catacombs. The roses give me a funeral parlor feel, also. 

• Like 1

I was looking thought the home paged code, when I found that the section with the teaser image had the Portuguese phrase, "artigo em destaque," in a comment.  It translates to "feature article," so it might just be a mistake, but it makes you wonder...

4 hours ago, UsherBscary said:

I looked up pictures of voodoo altars, and I feel like that is what the homepage picture is pointing too. The site seems to be trying to tie together Catacombs, Voodoo Queen, and potentially Cindy if she truly is a fortune teller.

The markings feel more similar to vevè, than to Day of the Dead imagery. As I said, they are too geometrical. The lines are too straight. Not enough flow. 

The Voodoo Queen's minions (the ones who brought the sacrifice to the stage) from 24 had 3 stones arranged in a line across the tops of their skull masks. One scareactor had red stones in the eye sockets of the skull on his hat. 

As as for that gif, it was posted to FB and Twitter. My gut reaction to seeing it removed from the other artwork is: It's not artwork. It's not a computer generated image. I'm not great with computer stuff, but certain details stand out. The water looks real. The light reflection isn't from candles, but from stationary lights. The dew drops on the flowers do not move.  You can see the back of the skull through the mouth. I think I'm going to have to speculate that we aren't looking at a computer generated image, but an actual prop. 

• Like 2

On a side note, I got my tickets for Sept 24 the Sunday of the second weekend that it opens, anyone have experience going around this time? I am going earlier this year in the hopes that its less crowded, I usually go in October.

6 hours ago, mystiquephreeq said:

As as for that gif, it was posted to FB and Twitter. My gut reaction to seeing it removed from the other artwork is: It's not artwork. It's not a computer generated image. I'm not great with computer stuff, but certain details stand out. The water looks real. The light reflection isn't from candles, but from stationary lights. The dew drops on the flowers do not move.  You can see the back of the skull through the mouth. I think I'm going to have to speculate that we aren't looking at a computer generated image, but an actual prop. 

Yes! I think you are 100% right.  It looked weird to me somehow but I couldn't pinpoint it after reading this I looked at it again and it def looks like an actual prop. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elhev said:

On a side note, I got my tickets for Sept 24 the Sunday of the second weekend that it opens, anyone have experience going around this time? I am going earlier this year in the hopes that its less crowded, I usually go in October.

Yes! I think you are 100% right.  It looked weird to me somehow but I couldn't pinpoint it after reading this I looked at it again and it def looks like an actual prop. 

We always go the last weekend in September with a FFP. Fridays and Saturdays are always crowded. Sundays and Thursdays are usually better.