HHN 2016 Discussion

That guy is a clown, he said the walking dead was one of the best houses, and he's glad Jabbawockies took over Bill and Ted, which he described as woefully bad. His main reason for hating the slasher houses is that we've seen them before, and it's not like we have t seen the walking dead before, and get this he tells the walkers to slow down. He's a hack who just wants clicks, well congratulations you got them.

The second I read "Universal fails to deliver for it's stellar lineup", I started having a mini seizure! WTF?! This was one of the best, if not, THE BEST year of HHN! I think this low life started this rant because of his experience. It was the first sold out opening night so obviously there were a lot of people! I guess the amount of people ruined this guy's night. Because he said the terror tram was the worst part of the event and that's due to tons of groups of people in storage containers. That's probably the same case with the mazes. Either that or this guy is a total fuckhole who wants attention! It's most likely the second one.

New to the forums.

This year was pretty amazing. Been going for three years now and it just gets better and better in terms of quality in the mazes and zones.

however, the lines were such a huge hit to what I expected. Isn't opening weekend considered the "best" due to low crowd amount. I can only imagine how crazy it will be once October gets here.

• Like 1

On September 18, 2016 at 5:55 PM, XD005 said:

That's what I was thinking. That would help with capacity tremendously.
Forbidden Journey would probably suck up at least 15% of the crowds. I thought JK Rowling didn't allow Uni to have HP open during HHN though?

On September 18, 2016 at 5:57 PM, horror lover said:

Orlando has Gringotts open.. But I think Universal would have to surrender a cut of the profits to JK and Warner Bros. for having HP open during the event.

Yeah Gringgots is open in Orlando so the whole JK does not like HHN is kinda BS

• Like 1

I still haven't posted my thoughts because believe it or not I still haven't seen everything, still waiting on Texas. But I will say I was surprised at how much I loved Exorcist, it's fighting for my top spot right now, it spooked me.

I really should write the rant I was planning after my hell experience on Saturday, and in general at the clusterfuck that is early entry and just the state of crowds at horror nights this year.

American Horror Story: B+

-I only watched Season 1-2 and a little bit of 3 so I really liked the Murder House part, maybe because personally I loved that season. But the maze really wasn't all that scary. I liked how it included The Rubber Man and Tate with his face paint .The scare actors, designs, facades, music, everything else was good. Hearing the theme music outside of the maze and inside... loved it.

The Exorcist: A+

- The movie gives me a bad vibe watching it. It's not scary but it's very disturbing and creepy. I really liked The Exorcist though. The maze really had me scared to death. I literally was just trying to rush out of the maze instead of actually enjoying it. I just couldn't. I don't know how people were saying it was bad? It literally was a perfect recreation of the movie and This maze was just... scary! And I mean, scary. This maze got my 10/10. But, I was mad how I didn't get to see the spider-walk scene. I saw the animatronic but it didn't move :( The screens showing Pazuzu's face and then transitioning to Regan's were literally so f*cking scary. Every single room/hallway I walked into, I got scared. Every room/hallway I walked into a scare actor popped out at me. The Pazuzu costumes honestly could've been better but I think they were good enough plus they had me timid soooooo. The priest literally "threw" "holy water" at me in the room where Reagan was levitating. I think it's because I was recording that part with my phone. He got the water on my phone. This maze had me feeling I was actually getting attacked by actual demons. I felt like the last room in the maze with Regan just smiling at you was a good conclusion to the attraction. I was just trying to get out and I see her just smiling at me. bye.

Freddy vs. Jason: A+

- I've been waiting for a Freddy vs. Jason maze. This maze was good. And I mean good. This & The Exorcist are my top 2 mazes. It wasn't as scary as The Exorcist but it was scary. In every room or hallway I went into, someone came out at me. The scares were good. The facade, design, characters, music, literally everything was perfect in this maze.

Halloween: A

- Right when I walked in this maze, I got scared as shit. I hit my elbow hard on how scared I got. The flow of the maze was really good. Every room was fantastic. The scares were good as well. The room with the glowing pumpkins was a really good scare. This maze was really good all together.

Krampus: B

- I watched Krampus and I really liked it. This was the first maze of my night. The first scare had me scared. The sets were fantastic but the maze wasn't too scary but it was sort of scary. Everything else was good though.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: B

- Don't really have much to say about this one but it was good, I didn't find anything bad about it. I don't remember getting scared or not but...

The Walking Dead: A+

- This is the first time I've been in the year round Walking Dead maze and I have to say it was really really good. It was scary. I loved it. It was beautifully designed.

Klowntasm: A

- The music of The Terror Tram got me going. It was just flat out creepy. The Terror Tram altogether was good. I didn't get scared whatsoever but the design of it was good.

The Purge: A+

- Every single scare zone was flat out good. Didn't get scared but the designs of everything were good.

Jabbawockeez: A

- Personally enjoyed the show

Here's my most to least favorite mazes

The Exorcist

Freddy vs. Jason

Halloween

The Walking Dead
American Horror Story

Krampus & Texas Chainsaw Massacre (evenly liked)

There really wasn't a "weak" maze whatsoever. Everything was good. The Terror Tram, scare zones & show were good too.

Edited by StraightEdge
  • Like 1

I read that article too. He claims the slashers are all things we've seen before but praises the effect of the girl being eaten in bed in Krampus, even though 1) that's an old hat trick they've been doing since Freddy in 07 and 2) they use the same damn gag in FvJ THIS YEAR. 

Also in one article he says he's so extremely impressed by Exorcist, then the next calls it the most disappointing maze.

Along with foodstamps' points, if you can't tell by now, the guy is a fucking idiot. It's a damn shame he writes for the LA TIMES. 

2 hours ago, Ghostsarejerks said:

Literally just watched it, love this video so much more than other big channels because you dont use that awful camera light that gives away everything and let's you see what the experience is really like

Glad you loved it! =] That's the reason I started filming full walk throughs this year, because I felt like Sharp Production and other bigger channels used that light (or edited their videos too brightly). Subscribe if you'd like to see more, I'll have the rest of the mazes posted by the end of month! (Krampus is posted already too)  

AHS, FvJ and Krampus look fine during the day. The Exorcist on the other hand suffers ALOT from day time spill though. But like I've always said, hit it last -- it's a great way to end the night.

I hope this change stays. I've always campaigned for longer hours at haunts. 

1 hour ago, foodstampsFTW said:

Eh, idk how bright the houses will be that early. It sucks that because Uni has such a bad crowd issue that they have to run the event from 5 to 2 just to not cheat the customers.

From some of the videos I've seen that took place right at the start of the event, I think the maze that's going to suffer the most from brightness will be the Exorcist. A lot of light leaks through and it makes the black halls downright useless until it's night. So it's really in a nasty Catch-22 as you gotta' see it at night for the best effect, but it's constantly slammed unless you hit it right at the start.

Speaking of videos, considering I'm unable to attend the event I can only view things by videos, but here's my general thoughts of things from a outsider.

AHS - Don't care for the facade, but the house looks quite nice. I would happily take this over any TWD maze anyday.

Krampus - That definitely looks like a straight-up fun maze, great sound design, great costumes. It's also kinda' hilarious watching videos of people going the wrong way in the opening room when it's pumped full of fog. Though I have to give this a little knock on the Jack in the Box Jester, now I don't object to them to using that particular gag (Hell I was expecting them to.) But for some reason it looks off, it could possibly be due to the positioning of the actress where being on her front with one foot in the mouth and one foot out which looks awkward and doesn't sell the effect. (Also, it doesn't help FvJ uses the same effect AND sells it better.)

Halloween: Hell Comes to Haddonfield - This looks like another solid Halloween maze, but let's talk about that ending. It's certainly off kilter, moreso then the mirror maze from last year...but I like it! An' I love the soundtrack they use for that part.

TCM: Blood Brothers - While it's no Back in Business, it's certainly looks a step above Saw is the Law. Which personally makes me happy since I picked this one as my Dark Horse Maze! I certainly approve of ChopTop being in this maze, I like the "Trippy Hippy" room and the ending is pretty neat as well. Not bad at all for something which might have been a last minute change/addition.

Freddy Vs Jason - Just like the other houses this one looks pretty solid, definitely one of the better facades for this year as well.

The Exorcist - Had to save this maze for last, and I can totally see why this one is polorizing. Now I get what Murdy is doing with the black hallways, those are where the main scares are coming from. So they can be more theatrical with the Regan rooms and have them more close to the movie without having to try injecting a scare into them. It's understandable, and I can see why people would like it. I however, not a big fan. A big reason being most of the Regan rooms look to be the weakest parts of the maze. It started strong with the room going Poltergeist, however the following rooms just wern't as impressive. The other rooms seemed to focus on one thing, and that one thing can't hold up the room. The biggest offender is certainly that head turning Regan which came off as a hokey haunt prop. Add in a good amount of Regan's which didn't need to be manniquins whatsoever, a Father wearing a mask and a "ending" which looks more like it just runs out of rooms instead of having a definitive ending, and that's why it doesn't exactly work out for me. For everyone else your milage may vary.

Terror Tram - Hey now, this Terror Tram looks good! But oy, those shipping containers are a catch-22 in providing scares...but also mass congestion.

The Purge scarezones - I gotta' say they look fun, it's a welcome change of pace.

Overall, it looks to be a nice solid year!

Great decision making on Universals part. I'm assuming a lot of guests went to guest relations complaining about the lines and not finishing everything, possibly? 

Definitely save Exorcist for last. The last few black hallways had the most light coming through. Freddy vs Jason Camp Crystal Lake scene had light coming through as well, but besides that most of it still looks good early. 

Also, quick comparison between our event and Hollywoods - 

AHS: Orlando's had more scenes from the show but I feel like ours was done more effectively. I will say their face characters did look more accurate to the show's actors though. For a second I thought they actually convinced Lady Gaga and the young maid to revisit their role. lol 

Halloween - Ours was more creative and had better scares, theirs was more accurate to the second movie. They had the last room on fire with screens and smoke and it looked pretty good but I love our ending in comparison.  

Texas Chainsaw - Both were good, their scare actors were HUGE, but I think they both were done well so I can choose which is better.  

Exorcist - I enjoyed our version a lot more opening weekend than I originally did, but Orlando's version makes ours look like a joke. Their effects and transitions rooms are freaking awesome, I had goosebumps throughout the maze. I don't know if a maze has ever done that to me. 

TWD - Ours obviously looks better since it's a permanent attractions and the effects are solid, but theirs was actually scary and just a fun maze overall. Yes we're all tired of TWD, but Orlando showcased all seasons in a well put together maze.  

Krampus - Ours is miles better than Orlandos. Most of their scares come from Elves, while ours showcases Krampus and the evil toys more. Also the set design in our maze was so much more impressive which is crazy because usually Orlando has the better looking sets. 

Scarezones - Our gauntlet and the purge actors are more aggressive than the actors here in Orlando for the zones (mazes are about the same level of intensity). The zones this year are a little cheesy with the exception of Dead Man's Wharf.

Haven't seen Academy of the Villains yet, will see it today though to compare Jabbawokeez.  

13 minutes ago, Arsik_22 said:

Exorcist - I enjoyed our version a lot more opening weekend than I originally did, but Orlando's version makes ours look like a joke. Their effects and transitions rooms are freaking awesome, I had goosebumps throughout the maze. I don't know if a maze has ever done that to me.  

Yeah, from what I've seen of videos, Orlando did do a better job overall. To be really blunt Hollywood has nothing like Orlando's opening scene. (Techincally they kinda' do, but it's nowhere on the scale of Orlando's.) Not to mention Orlando's version actually has a ending.

But that brings up the question, how does this affect the people that bought the Day After 2PM/Night tickets? I personally have a seasonal pass so I was just going to go in and then line up before Early Entry starts, but I have a lot of friends with the Day/Night combo that want to do Harry Potter stuff.