Psychoscareapy: Unleashed

Mark M.

This zone still has the same dystopian feel it seems to always have now, year after year.  Even though they now have a non-dystopian theme this year, it still feels the same.  And I just may not have been paying enough attention, but are they doing projected kills on the buildings as advertised?  I do like the burning gazebo.

• Like 1

This zone still has the same dystopian feel it seems to always have now, year after year.  Even though they now have a non-dystopian theme this year, it still feels the same.  And I just may not have been paying enough attention, but are they doing projected kills on the buildings as advertised?  I do like the burning gazebo.

I did not see it.

This scarezone area will likely be limited in scale and theme as long as the parade continues during the day. While the old zones could fill New York with creative and complex props, the necessity to clear the streets for a parade means any set dressing must be able to be rapidly wheeled in by forklifts and Yamaha Rhinos in the short time between the official closing of the daytime hours and the opening of the HHN gates. Hence why every year since has had the main set pieces (like the Atlanta tank and this year's burning gazebo, plus all the vehicles each year) set off the main street, while the stuff in the parade route is just simple rolling stages.

My issue was less with the idea/actors but this. There was WAY too much dead space. Universal needs to up their scare zone game and make it more immersive. Ambiance is missing, too. Look at American Gothic, War of the Living Dead, etc for zones in the "new" generation of HHN that had ambiance nailed.

The two zones that you mentioned were in the same area.....an area that allows for a more intimate, immersive setting. Unfortunately, it  will probably not be used in the near future.

With NY, it is hard to get a truly immersive with the vastness of the area. Even when they only use a portion (not Sting Alley or the side streets) of the area, it still feels massive and "uninhabited" by SA's. Unless they can somehow bring in the zone, it will continue to feel vast and have "too much dead space".

I think that "The Fall of Atlanta" (2 yrs ago) did a good job to immerse you with the barricades, the helicopter lights/sounds, the victims and the walkers. I think they did a good job of utilizing that area.

I do think it was the subject of the zone that fails.

2013s walking dead zone was pretty great. Out of that year that was probably the best zone. It didn't feel that empty either

purge was pretty incredible too. Very intense and didn't feel empty either.

2 years in a row that the zone worked. (even with the problem of the parade) So I do think this was an idea that did not translate well (this could have been a good house when you think about it)

this is going to sound like blasphemy but I kind of wished they had brought back the purge for this Year. Or bring it back for next year even

Edited by clash
  • Like 1

I've seen one, above the mexican food truck. 

I had a lot of fun just watching the shadow plays in the windows last night. I particularly like the one where after slaughtering a couple people rather violently, the inmate in an animal costume then goes back to a flower arrangement at the window and sets it back right.

I had a wonderful moment in this zone on Friday, October 2nd. An inmate told me that my "Dr. Jimmy costume" would be certain to win the contest!

• Like 3

I had an amazing time in this zone on Sunday night, and at about 1 AM I asked one of the attendants if they were by any chance doing another costume contest that night or if they were done for the night. The attendant went up to the blonde girl that runs the contest and she almost immediately just got right up on stage to do an impromptu contest for the 6 people that were around the stage including my group. It was super awesome and intimate and made for a really great experience!

I agree that this scare zone is not particularly "immersive" due to certain circumstances (budget, parade, etc.). However this scarezone is one of my favorites surprisingly, and it's mainly due to the scareactors. Those psychos seem to make it work for me, especially with how they interact with everyone passing by. They just look like they're having a great time and I just can't help but smile when I interact with them or see them scare other people. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've currently found 3 projection windows:

1. Above the food truck, visible from the burning gazebo when looking toward the lagoon.

2. Above the Mummy merchandise store.

3. Across from the Blues Brothers stage.

Keep in mind that there are also scareactors along that street, with the Blues Brothers stage and police car, and even actors next to Transformers. They also added a water spray to the apple bobbing victim to finally give the endless selfie takers something they deserve.

• Like 2

• Mark M. changed the title to Psychoscareapy: Unleashed