Psychoscareapy: Unleashed

Mark M.

21473944026_5f738f4026_o.thumb.jpg.512caa1272bed25580187b3f71e71864.jpg

The criminally insane inmates of Shadybrook Asylum have escaped and unleashed their horror onto a Halloween block party in the streets of New York. Come join the party goers as the inmates kill for the best Halloween costumes for their very own special costume contest where you will be the judge. Oh, and this will be one of the bloodiest scare zones ever!

A Halloween block party gone horribly wrong when a Shadybrook asylum transport bus crashes and the inmates invade!!

This is high up on my list of most anticipated scare zones. I, too, have never gotten to experience the inmates of Shadybrook before and am excited to be able to experience it firsthand. I am looking forward to seeing the shadowed kills in the buildig windows and love that it will be the bloodiest scare zone yet! I have gone to Universal a couple times this week and love the festive/classic Halloween feel that this area already has!

Edited by Chance25
  • Like 2

I want to say no, because the bus is there and I think they escaped from that bus, so they will most likely be in uniform. However, they could do costumes.

it makes me wonder since it says that " as the inmates kill for the best Halloween costumes for their very own special costume contest where you will be the judge"

kind of sounds like they will be dressed up in some way. 

it makes me wonder since it says that " as the inmates kill for the best Halloween costumes for their very own special costume contest where you will be the judge"

kind of sounds like they will be dressed up in some way. 

I'm guessing we may see the inmates gain costumes throughout the night as they maim people. Random guess.

The costumes of the inmates should be interesting. The thing that comes to mind for me is the leg lamp in Home for the Holidays. The inmates made their own leg lamp. I'm guessing they will make their own costumes from whatever is handy. We are talking about mentally unstable individuals. Face masks made from faces. "Fake" blood made from real blood. Pieces of this costume and that costume to make their own. Pieces of this person and that person...

• Like 2

My most anticipated scarezone not for the gore but that's a plus, but one of my favorite dark humor houses of all time was Home for the Holidays so it feels like it's that with Halloween and the streets itself right now makes it feel very festive and would make me very happy so put some funny suggestive ways of how they took over New York and their interesting use of costumes and having the maniacs very aggressive yet fun would make this easily the best zone.  That's the reason why I hated Echoes of Shadybrooke it was too serious to be part of the Psychoscarepy line up, so I'm happy they are continuing the story of the Shadybrooke inmates.

• Like 1

A lot has already been said about the Psychoscareapy: Unleashed scare zone (New York). In fact, a lot of props have already popped up all around New York including a messed-up gazebo that will be set on fire and exploding with 10-foot flames. One thing is missing that won’t be revealed until after Rock the Universe is over – blood. Wallace revealed that blood will cover the streets and buildings of New York, because what kind of block party massacre is clean and tidy? However, Universal wants to be respectful of guests attending the two-night Christian music event and not appear to be overly gruesome and disgusting.

• Like 1

This will be my most anticipated scare zone this year. I like the amount of effort the writing/creative team has put behind Shady Brook asylum, and I have always appreciated how each house has had a unique story/event occur. I understand that the crazed inmate houses always don't have the best scares, but the dark humor that the inmates portray so vulgarly display, has created some of my favorite moments in previous HHN years.The home for the holidays house (one of my favorite houses) was kind of like a precursor to the neighborhood block party. Instead of keeping the inmates confined to houses, they can now spill out into the streets. I was only expecting to have a few comments thrown my way in the scare zone and some jump scares, but with Universal promising this to be the goriest ever, I am pumped! I hope they incorporate some actors into the crowd that will be killed by the inmates. 

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't want to say anything about this zone before, but after seeing it a couple of days, I am just not feeling it. Psychoscareapy  works as a house with the sets and the Asylum and the props they use for the houses and everything but I didn't feel like it translated well into a street zone. 

Maybe it is just me, and yeah the sets are nice, but mental patients work better in a house. I know the actors are having fun with this zone and doing the best they can, but the concept doesn't really work for me. just not as good as other zones from the past. (maybe it is the location, a smaller location  might have worked better) 

sometimes it feels like there is too much dead space. 

• Like 1

sometimes it feels like there is too much dead space. 

My issue was less with the idea/actors but this. There was WAY too much dead space. Universal needs to up their scare zone game and make it more immersive. Ambiance is missing, too. Look at American Gothic, War of the Living Dead, etc for zones in the "new" generation of HHN that had ambiance nailed.

• Like 1

Look at American Gothic, War of the Living Dead, etc for zones in the "new" generation of HHN that had ambiance nailed.

The two zones that you mentioned were in the same area.....an area that allows for a more intimate, immersive setting. Unfortunately, it  will probably not be used in the near future.

With NY, it is hard to get a truly immersive with the vastness of the area. Even when they only use a portion (not Sting Alley or the side streets) of the area, it still feels massive and "uninhabited" by SA's. Unless they can somehow bring in the zone, it will continue to feel vast and have "too much dead space".

I think that "The Fall of Atlanta" (2 yrs ago) did a good job to immerse you with the barricades, the helicopter lights/sounds, the victims and the walkers. I think they did a good job of utilizing that area.

• Like 1

The two zones that you mentioned were in the same area.....an area that allows for a more intimate, immersive setting. Unfortunately, it  will probably not be used in the near future.

With NY, it is hard to get a truly immersive with the vastness of the area. Even when they only use a portion (not Sting Alley or the side streets) of the area, it still feels massive and "uninhabited" by SA's. Unless they can somehow bring in the zone, it will continue to feel vast and have "too much dead space".

A very good point. Then my solution would be to increase the budget for scare zones and to drop a house. I would even say having a "Carnage Returns" show is not a worthwhile money spend. Having a better entrance to the park would do wonders.

• Mark M. changed the title to Psychoscareapy: Unleashed