The Carnage Returns

Mark M.

THE CARNAGE RETURNS

Jack the Clown is taking Halloween Horror Nights back in a blaze of murderous mayhem with his army of feared followers and his companion in carnage, Chance. Remember, Jack always has the last laugh.

THE CARNAGE RETURNS!!! Jack and Chance are back in an all new stage show across from Mel's..

They will "Celebrate the Kill" along with their Maniacs!!!

As this being this year's secondary show, I'm really happy as Icon shows do typically amazing because they don't have to follow guidelines or cooperate with magic/music act and actually have mostly creative freedoms so I'm happy about it. Location wise I know it's in middle of the park but the scarezone next to it is my least anticipated scarezone. So it'll be fun seeing Jack in action and if it's in the same style as Carnival of Carnage it'll probably be a real crowd pleaser.

The aerial ballet thing has me pretty excited.

It seems to me they did something similar years ago, I think in the Inferno show in 1998?

It was Inferno, I think. I remember watching it. 

I wonder what they'll use. Fabric? Trapeze? Spanish Web?

I, personally, prefer the fabric. It's amazingly versatile and more visually appealing. 

On a side note, my daughter's circus arts school does an annual Halloween show. The show is always fascinating and the music chosen for the routines is definitely Halloweeny!

It will be interesting to compare what the professionals due with a Halloween theme. 

Looks like the set for this show is going up pretty fast. I was at Universal this afternoon and they already have quite the structure under way. I took some photos but my phone is garbage and they really aren't good. The upper deck to the set plus hearing about aerial has be intrigued as to the possibilities. 

I also went to Universal today and they have a lot of cludder. I stood there for a while trying to find little easter eggs to years past. Nothing really stood out to me, but being fairly new to the event, I wouldn't know what to look for anyway xD

I do have a High Res shot of the whole stage that I can see quite a few details. But with Dr. Jimmy's shots, i'm not sure if I should add it. If you want me to post it so you guys can comb through it, let me know or I can send you a PM of it. 

Bill & Ted’s will always be a staple of Halloween Horror Nights, but expect it to be the #2 show for HHN25. The Carnage Returns (Hollywood) is going to be huge. The massive stage has to be large enough for a character as popular as Jack the Clown, but also because their will be large-scaled illusions and acrobatic aerialists complete with scantily clad sexy dancers.

I also went to Universal today and they have a lot of cludder. I stood there for a while trying to find little easter eggs to years past. Nothing really stood out to me, but being fairly new to the event, I wouldn't know what to look for anyway xD

I do have a High Res shot of the whole stage that I can see quite a few details. But with Dr. Jimmy's shots, i'm not sure if I should add it. If you want me to post it so you guys can comb through it, let me know or I can send you a PM of it. 

There are TONS of easter eggs! Some many things on that stage have been used some many places

• Like 1

Guest kiwisoup

Does anyone think we might have a feel of the Singapore show last year with Jack?

I doubt Jack will be singing...their version kinda has a Bill & Ted vibe to it, probably because they don't have a show like it. I'm hoping for something darker and less...musical.

Once I watched the full thing, I agree.

When I first learned that we were getting a Jack show this year I thought we were getting a show like the one in 2007, but when I saw the props go up on stage I got the feel it would be a bit like the show in Singapore (especially since they said there would be air-dancers and all). But If you think about it, the show is called "The Carnage Returns" which is basically like a sequel title to the 2007 "Carnival of Carnage"...... So I hope we get a COC 2.0

Lets leave the dancing and singing for Bill and Ted! Lol.

• Like 2

So, some spoilers and personal thoughts on the show from what I managed to check on Periscope tonight in the spoiler section below.

First, I really hope nothing changes because people complain about how graphic, bloody and dark the show is. It's going to happen, but Universal better hold their ground and not remove it because a few people don't like it. Something that is good is that, unlike the Voodoo Queen show which got canceled, this show CLEARLY warns people what they are about to see. Skin, blood, loud noises, language, etc. are all mentioned and you are told if you don't like it, leave. 

Now, I haven't watched the whole show so I don't spoil the whole thing, but this is a VERY impressive show from what I have seen for the location. Lots of dancers, lots of motion with the aerialist and just a lot to look at. Something that surprised me was the amount of fire! Multiple flame jets sit right at the edge of the stage close to guests and they are used quite a bit. 

The show uses a lot of Chance which is great. Jack get's a grand entrance complete with fire and then goes on to make a LOT of comments about the event itself. Saying how "soft" the event has gotten since he was last in charge and takes another jab at Lady Luck. Mentions the lack of blood and stuff like that. 

The show then switches to the Carnival of Carnage style show from 17 but with some twists. This time a person is strapped to the big wheel which has different outcomes for the unlucky victims. To pick what happens, Chance stands back and throws a knife at the board! It's a great effect that looks like it was pulled off well. The first thing was the blender followed by the head squash that happened in 17. That's all I saw but it seems like they were getting the previously used tricks out of the way to save the new stuff for the end. 

Overall, I am just highly impressed as to what they could pull off in this location. Most of the tricks are backstage and are brought out when needed. The fact that they could build the massive stage and then still have room backstage to hold more, fairly large props is impressive to me not to mention the size of the cast! A MUCH LARGER cast than HHN 17 had. Can't wait to see it in person and I really hope nothing gets cut or changed!

• Like 2

People complain about the gore? Then why are they even AT hhn in the first place?

You would be surprised. The "rumored" reason the voodoo show was canceled so quickly was because a couple guests complained about the content. The reason B&T was canceled at Hollywood in 2013 and never to return since was because ONE person wrote an article about ONE of the side characters and the running joke he felt was being homophobic and couldn't understand that it was a JOKE but because of that ONE person's article being picked up by media sources, the entire production was halted in the middle of the event. 

Guests and the media can be powerful and unfortunately most companies cave to the pressure if it is "not so great" for their image. We will see what happens with this show. It does have some "adult" humor, lots of blood, and is very "dark". I'm sure guests will still complain about the content even though they CLEARLY warn people this year. I just hope Universal doesn't cave like last year.

People complain about the gore? Then why are they even AT hhn in the first place?

on the vid  i  saw,i think some girl was wondering if HHN has gotten too dark and too violent, saying how HHN should be more about the paranormal than gory, or something like that 

the people that complain are probably first timers that didn't expect the event to be so "dark" 
I hope that when it comes to this show, if they get any complaints that they at least tone it down and not remove it.... I hope Jack even makes fun of any changes the show gets (like saying "this is the part where you saw blood, but we had to cut it down because of the weenies in the crowd" or something like that..

You would be surprised. The "rumored" reason the voodoo show was canceled so quickly was because a couple guests complained about the content. The reason B&T was canceled at Hollywood in 2013 and never to return since was because ONE person wrote an article about ONE of the side characters and the running joke he felt was being homophobic and couldn't understand that it was a JOKE but because of that ONE person's article being picked up by media sources, the entire production was halted in the middle of the event. 

Guests and the media can be powerful and unfortunately most companies cave to the pressure if it is "not so great" for their image. We will see what happens with this show. It does have some "adult" humor, lots of blood, and is very "dark". I'm sure guests will still complain about the content even though they CLEARLY warn people this year. I just hope Universal doesn't cave like last year.

Oh god that Bill and Ted drama... that was such a nightmare for Hollywood...I remember seeing how a lot of people hate that blogger (even celebrities) from what I could tell Bill and Ted was not even the first time there was drama with that blogger, I recall something about gwyneth paltrow drama as well. 

on the vid  i  saw,i think some girl was wondering if HHN has gotten too dark and too violent, saying how HHN should be more about the paranormal than gory, or something like that 

the people that complain are probably first timers that didn't expect the event to be so "dark" 
I hope that when it comes to this show, if they get any complaints that they at least tone it down and not remove it.... I hope Jack even makes fun of any changes the show gets (like saying "this is the part where you saw blood, but we had to cut it down because of the weenies in the crowd" or something like that..

You have a good point there. It may be a bit much for newcomers. I do hope that any comments about the gore are not negative, and are more of just surprise than anything else. However, their fix you suggested would be pretty hilarious, so I do hope that if anything happens to it the main thing still is there!

• Like 1

and it is bizarre because you never really hear about Uni making changes to houses due to gore. For some reason people seem to be mostly okay with gore in the houses but when it comes to shows or street zones, people freak out (not just here but with other events as well) I don't know if it is the fact that people are paying more attention to the shows or because the shows and streets have better lighting (so people get to see the gore in more detail) 
who knows. This show seems to be way too big so I hope it stays. 

• Like 1

For this being my ninth year attending the event, seeing all the previous alternate shows (shows not being B&T) over the years I do enjoy some more than others and always wanted this type of show to come back but after I watch their first show I'm 100% sure that this is the best secondary show of all time! I had to thank the show's director right after the show because it was so damn amazing and told him that it was the best. I saw both "hhn original shows" Carnival of Carnage (in the event) and the Arrival (on youtube many of times) but nothing got this pure awesome than this show. This is truly a shared Jack and Chance show, the show really represents their persona and builds upon that with their interaction on the show. Also for comic lovers Jack and Chance truly have the Joker and Harley Quinn relationship they even name drop the word harlequin and puddin' so if anyone wondered how a Joker and Chance can act in real life without the shackles of much censorship this may be your chance. Every joke is hilarious theirs many references to maybe almost every icon (Even one that they can't even show on a shirt) the event itself, even an infamous ride, internet forum trolls gotta love that, and so much more. All the ways they kill off their victims even with the ones that we've seen before on stage all gets a fun tune up and everything got much better in this version and the new ways to kill is hilarious and grotesque. Yes I'm mighty scared if guests or media tones the whole show down so that's why I advise you and every hhn fan alike to watch this show immediately and many times over because this is truly one of the biggest highlight of the event it's even more entertaining than most houses.

• Mark M. changed the title to The Carnage Returns