Halloween Horror Nights Hollywood 2015 Event Discussion

Since word about prices, dates, and general issues about the event are coming up, I figured I would start a thread about the event as a whole.

So the prices got out. Looks about the same as last year. Fine by me considering there's less mazes this year and mostly rehashed content.

• Like 1

Exactly! I would much rather have a 7th maze than a tram to go to the backlot, because I personally did not mind the walk, and when they themed it it was perfectly fine.  Also, I feel like Murdy had the option to do a 7th maze but decided against it or one was planned and the budget was cut because it just seems weird that they would decrease the maze count especially when capacity is at an all time high.  Also another venue that they could put a maze in could be if TWD wasn't the "biggest maze ever" they totally could have fit 2 almost JP Queue sized tents mazes there.

Hello, I don't normally post in this forum, but mostly in the threads about HHN in Orlando. But I felt a need to pop in here to comment on the rumored IP that the recent leak says is Murdy's "out of the box" maze. I do not know if that leak was completely accurate, but it has been so far and after four mazes and a show matching up perfectly I went ahead and took a look last night at the film in question.

How are they going to pull this off? There seem to be all sorts of problems. I don't know how they can manage to avoid legal issues and major controversy if they present anything close to what is in the actual film.

I would love to see this if it happens and is done well, it should be incredible. Personally though I cannot imagine this being done right unless the final scene in the house accurately presents this:

Anybody think that could ever happen?

• Like 4

So uh... anyway. Murdy said we should get another maze announcement early next week. Well, I think he said announcement. Might be the Terror Tram. But I think Terror Tram could be revealed with the site. Didn't they do that with Chucky before since it was an in-house property?

I think this year is shaping up very oddly. I don't know what to expect from it. So far, there's nothing jaw-dropping awesome yet to be announced. Last year's AVP announcement was legendary, and I think every year, HHN should find that fandom favorite yet to be done and blow us away. Murdy says HHN is about taking risks. IMO, none of those have really paid off in amazing form yet, so I think that's an odd declaration -- I'd much rather they play it safe with GREAT IPs yet to be done, original mazes that'll scare the shit out of us and upcoming films with lots of potential. He said La Llorona was a risk, but how? Because there's dead children? It was dark and that should be expected from this event, if ya ask me. Everything else like Cooper, UMR, Clowns have been either decent to pretty horrid.

• Like 1

So uh... anyway. Murdy said we should get another maze announcement early next week. Well, I think he said announcement. Might be the Terror Tram. But I think Terror Tram could be revealed with the site. Didn't they do that with Chucky before since it was an in-house property?

I think this year is shaping up very oddly. I don't know what to expect from it. So far, there's nothing jaw-dropping awesome yet to be announced. Last year's AVP announcement was legendary, and I think every year, HHN should find that fandom favorite yet to be done and blow us away. Murdy says HHN is about taking risks. IMO, none of those have really paid off in amazing form yet, so I think that's an odd declaration -- I'd much rather they play it safe with GREAT IPs yet to be done, original mazes that'll scare the shit out of us and upcoming films with lots of potential. He said La Llorona was a risk, but how? Because there's dead children? It was dark and that should be expected from this event, if ya ask me. Everything else like Cooper, UMR, Clowns have been either decent to pretty horrid.

I think maybe he means La Llorona was a risk because it was based on an urban legend that only a certain demographic would be familiar with.

This is a very strange year but I'm okay with it.(?) The way he described each maze on twitter today tells me he was looking moreso for variety this year. Which could be useful as a sort of survey to see which types of houses will do well with today's HHN crowd. And if you accept that idea, it also shows that he's thinking ahead for future years.. As in he's keeping his position for a while longer. Food for thought...

• Like 1

Terror Tram is yet to be announced, and that's "world famous," so it's supposed to be a pretty big deal when it's announced, so it's not laaaast necessarily. But even The Purge seems like a repeat.

Ugh, wow, I'm on the "repeats suck" train this year. Seriously, why is the only NEW maze This Is The freakin End? Crimson Peak sounds amazing, but I haven't seen the movie, so it's hard to be excited for it.

• Like 1

Terror Tram is yet to be announced, and that's "world famous," so it's supposed to be a pretty big deal when it's announced, so it's not laaaast necessarily. But even The Purge seems like a repeat.

Ugh, wow, I'm on the "repeats suck" train this year. Seriously, why is the only NEW maze This Is The freakin End? Crimson Peak sounds amazing, but I haven't seen the movie, so it's hard to be excited for it.

i have to agree with you in this. Im getting flashbacks of 2010 although not quite as bad. Its hard to get really excited when the majority are repeats and there is only one maze I really look forward to. 

Every time I try to think of what would make HHN more exciting in the announcement phase, I think of 2009. I feel like it's a little unfair in comparison, only because it was my first year going, and I was younger, but I ALWAYS remember the commercial with John Murdy saying, "So what's new this year? EVERYTHING." I remember watching that commercial on repeat, along with it giving me motivation to look at previous years.

I wouldn't do that now, but I never get anxious from the teasers anymore. All of the 'new' feelings have been gone for a while. Probably from the repeats of TWD. Regardless, the event is fun, and working it is another perspective where the property doesn't even really matter anymore, but I can always relate to being a guest since it was such a huge impact in my life.

• Like 1

And that's our 6th and final maze announcement. Someone make the thread. 

I've been thinking a lot of what people have been talking about in the sense that we went down in maze count even though John said we wouldn't. Technically we didn't go down in maze count, we went down in overlay count. Just my opinion on this

Edited by HorrorNightsFan13

Here's what's even more bogus about this situation that makes me less excited: Last year, we had five new mazes, a descent overlay, and half a new maze (TWD). 

This year, we only have two new mazes, one of which is a very strange choice; three rehashed concepts, and a total repeat. I feel like this year is a huge step backwards content-wise. 

• Like 1

Honestly I would be so ok/maybe even excited for this lineup if we didn't have a Jabbawockeez show and still had a 7th 100% new maze (FvJ, AHS, etc.) in the location where FDTD was last year.  I really didn't mind the walk when it was themed.  However, AVP and Insidious were 2 of my absolute favorites of all time to be featured at the event so I'm good with that. I'm still excited just because I'm excited for Horror Nights just not as excited for the heavy concentration of repeated content.

"So what's new this year? EVERYTHING."

I loved that video and that line, too!!!! The good ol' days :'(

Here's what's even more bogus about this situation that makes me less excited: Last year, we had five new mazes, a descent overlay, and half a new maze (TWD). 

This year, we only have two new mazes, one of which is a very strange choice; three rehashed concepts, and a total repeat. I feel like this year is a huge step backwards content-wise. 

Usually I disagree with this train of thought but I totally agree this year.

Honestly I would be so ok/maybe even excited for this lineup if we didn't have a Jabbawockeez show and still had a 7th 100% new maze (FvJ, AHS, etc.) in the location where FDTD was last year.  I really didn't mind the walk when it was themed.  However, AVP and Insidious were 2 of my absolute favorites of all time to be featured at the event so I'm good with that. I'm still excited just because I'm excited for Horror Nights just not as excited for the heavy concentration of repeated content.

Oddly at this point, I'm truly missing the presence of the HoH. An extra maze of any sort would be welcome given how much stuff is not new this year.