HHN 25 Speculation

JDW

According to a few on OU, the third tent was scrapped and the 9th house is in a new location.

Is the tent back on?

Also, if that list of locations that JDW said was wrong (same one I posted a little earlier), I'd say maybe Blizzard's a Tent and Scream's an SS.

I can't see TWD in a tent. The last 2 incarnations required a LOT of space horizontally and vertically. A tent would be too restricting.

I feel like AWiL and Insidious in SSs, RUN in Disaster, and Alice in a tent are definites imo. The others can be moved around.

Also, is the best of house more of like an HNN2?

Seriously though... Am I the only 1 who thinks this potential house lineup is not all that impressive?

Some of my random thoughts...

Can someone explain to me why they decided not to make a Krampus house?

25th Anniversary with no Dungeon of Terror???

No Universal classic monsters?

Releasing Scream at the same time as the release of an MTV (of all things) Scream series which looks significantly different from the classic (and not in a good way).

Taking the easy way out by getting Freddy vs, Jason instead of doing them separately.

Bringing back a house used 2 years ago.

Bringing Run back because people liked it, but more than likely rebooting it in a way that is nothing like the reasons why people liked it to begin with.

TWD round 4? I can't wait to read all the negative comments on facebook and twitter.

Assuming Blizzard is what is speculated... Jamming 2 originals into 1 house, because???

Using Alice in Wonderland (which could be good), but having to make it into a 3d house (which already means it won't be as good as it could be). I've already seen this concept done before (no 3d

) in a way which I know is going to be better than what Universal is going to do, which is really going to make me even more disappointed.

I was secretly hoping they were going to use some of the Hellraiser films for a house.

And...

Still no Dr. Who!!!

Maybe the scare zones will make up for it somehow.

Now don't get me wrong here. Regardless of how I feel about this list, I'll still have fun. It just feels strange to read the list with 9 houses and not have more than 1 or maybe 2 that make me excited to check them out.

Man, I was not ready for the infobomb getting up today. Though I like what I'm reading!

So for the originals...

RUN 3 - I'm intruiged to see what direction they take this, deep down I hope there's a maze element somewhere...but just about anything can happen at this moment.

3D Alice in Wonderland (Or Asylum in Wonderland) - Totally excited for this one, nuff said.

Blizzard Body Collectors having a grand old time in Shadybrook - Well then, totally had a feeling Body Collectors would return...though I didn't expect to see Psychoscarapy being in the picture. I do recall saying if PS came back it needed some sort of twist/shot in the arm, so bringing the Collectors in could do the trick.

Icons House - Had a feeling this was coming, though with the icons being involved I think it's safe to say it's NOT a Hallow'd Past. Remember, Hallow'd Past was a "Wasn't 2008 great? Oh yeah, we did a Ship house and here's a Treak" house. I think a more accurate comparison is Horror Nights Nightmares from 14/2004. Considering that house had the most effective use of Eddie, could be a nice house.

• Like 2

Seriously though... Am I the only 1 who thinks this potential house lineup is not all that impressive?

Nope. It's been a big point of discussion in the smoking rooms.

Couple of other things...

Don't assume you won't see the classics. There's a couple of places they may show up.

Body Collecto/Scarepy is past the point of speculation.

Scream is based on the movie.

Good job nailing one of my code names (Reboot), though I don't think you meant to.

• Like 1

I don't think the line up looks all that bad tbh. Recent years have taught me that so much of it is execution vs potential. I would rather see great execution on an idea that looks so/so on paper than to see poor execution on an idea that looks amazing on paper.

As I have mentioned before I am more excited for some of these over others but I LOVE to be pleasantly surprised (usually happens once per event year) when A & D proves me wrong with a great house that I thought would suck.

I just hope that some of the decisions (AWIL I am talking about YOU!) were not made due to a strained budget/desire to save money.

Trust me. You aren't the only one who isn't pleased. It's a huge anniversary year but doesn't feel at all like an anniversary year. Big deal, we are getting some awesome IPs (TWD is debatable for most), but that's not what I want to see from an anniversary year.

Every year it seems like A&D has so much planned for original and truly creative content, but they get cut down instantly. As a kid, I always dreamed of one day being able to work on Horror Nights. At the time, I didn't know about "corporate powers" or "big business" influences. The admiration that I had for the event in my early years was built on original and creative concepts. Somewhere along the line, the event started a transition into a totally new creature.

I wish I could say things are like they have always been, but that's not the case. It's evident that the event has grown in popularity exponentially in the past 5 or so years and Universal has taken advantage of this by bringing big name IPs to the event. It's a very smart business move. You can't deny that. However, it's a real shame that A&D hasn't been able to continue some of the most important things that made the event successful in the first place. It's the 25th anniversary. I know we were all hoping on getting mainly original content and have that old Horror Nights feel, but sadly we haven't really gotten that in its true glory. I'm sure that they will do the originals justice, but there is only so much that can be done when money is the main focus.

I understand that things can't and won't be the way they used to be. Logistically, it would be hard with the huge masses of guests and other concerns. The past few years, a part of me has died. The part of me that is like a kid on Christmas waiting to open up all my presents (waiting to see what houses, zones, and shows will be revealed). I remember when there used to be so much hype and anticipation building each year. Now it's just deflated by leaks and craziness. Of course I'm still going to attend the event each year. How could I stop? I've been going for so long that if I did miss a year, I would hate myself later on for not going. I do still genuinely enjoy the event. Not as it was or what I want it to be, but as it is. I'm going to get off of my soapbox now ;)

Edited by HomemadeHaunt
  • Like 3

Since I have not done a 3D house, how exactly is it executed?

It's not technically 3D, at least not the way an attraction would be. You do wear glasses, but they're a different kind of glasses that make red and orange objects appear closer than they really are, yellow and green objects appear at normal distance, and blue and purple objects appear further away. The entire house is painted in fluorescent colors with black lights. If used effectively this can cause a scareactor in a bright red mask to pop out of a blue curtain that appears far away to "stretch" right up in your face, a lot closer than they really are. It also adds a very disorienting, trippy sensation to the house. In the past this has both worked very well, and fallen flat.

• Like 6

It's not technically 3D, at least not the way an attraction would be. You do wear glasses, but they're a different kind of glasses that make red and orange objects appear closer than they really are, yellow and green objects appear at normal distance, and blue and purple objects appear further away. The entire house is painted in fluorescent colors with black lights. If used effectively this can cause a scareactor in a bright red mask to pop out of a blue curtain that appears far away to "stretch" right up in your face, a lot closer than they really are. It also adds a very disorienting, trippy sensation to the house. In the past this has both worked very well, and fallen flat.

Okay, so it's similar to illusions? It sounds fun. My favorite part of haunted houses is when I get disoriented, like in the jail scene of TWD last year, and in the mirror rooms in the dollhouse and in giggles and gore. :D

So they provide the glasses then? And are they the ones you return to them at the end or throw away?

Okay, so it's similar to illusions? It sounds fun. My favorite part of haunted houses is when I get disoriented, like in the jail scene of TWD last year, and in the mirror rooms in the dollhouse and in giggles and gore. :D

So they provide the glasses then? And are they the ones you return to them at the end or throw away?

They are called ChromaDepth glasses. A variation of the glasses for fireworks. You don't return them they are paper. I have a at least one pair from every 3D house we've had. Well... Until they were all the exact same anyway.

If you want, I have about 30 of the plain black pair (I don't know why) I'll send them to ya ROFL

• Like 1

So AWIL is 100% ?? I know everyone is saying Hollywoods version was nowhere near as good, but I still absolutely loved it and hearing everyone praise your guys version, my girlfriend and I are beyond hyped to see it if it did come back.

And I enjoyed the originals you guys had last year besides Giggles and Gore, but I don't know much about the sequel houses coming this year. Does anyone have any videos or pictures of the prior houses so I can kinda have an idea of what they are? The only video I could find on YouTube was a behind the scenes video of Body Collectors with a creator named Roddy giving the tour. Anything would be much appreciated!

So AWIL is 100% ?? I know everyone is saying Hollywoods version was nowhere near as good, but I still absolutely loved it and hearing everyone praise your guys version, my girlfriend and I are beyond hyped to see it if it did come back.

And I enjoyed the originals you guys had last year besides Giggles and Gore, but I don't know much about the sequel houses coming this year. Does anyone have any videos or pictures of the prior houses so I can kinda have an idea of what they are? The only video I could find on YouTube was a behind the scenes video of Body Collectors with a creator named Roddy giving the tour. Anything would be much appreciated!

That was the '08 and was a sequel. The original was in '05. I filmed '08. Still this year is BC in Psychoscareapy. So The collectors in an asylum setting... and a blizzard.

You should watch the Hush episode of Buffy to get the feel of the collectors.

http://youtu.be/QbrxME--ytw

• Like 2

They are called ChromaDepth glasses. A variation of the glasses for fireworks. You don't return them they are paper. I have a at least one pair from every 3D house we've had. Well... Until they were all the exact same anyway.

If you want, I have about 30 of the plain black pair (I don't know why) I'll send them to ya ROFL

Lol. I have a box of glasses and a box of maps just from the past few years. Stinks that we don't have unique glasses anymore. I love the clown o vision ones.

• Like 4

I'm huge on keeping things that remind me of the year, kind of like scrapbooking but in boxes. Scrapboxing. I like it.

But yes, I'm stoked to get the pair this year :D

I collect lanyards though, so those will soon be growing.

This was 3 years ago. It's gotten worse.

Back on topic I don't care for the 3D houses usually. At least the 3D aspect. it messes with my perception too much. BUT if any house could have psychedelic colors, Alice can pull it off.

• Mark M. locked and unpinned this topic