HHNH Planning & Tips (The 2014 Edition)

I don't mess around, never have, and in 2012 I unfortunately ended up with half of a group having a mental breakdown after getting there at 9pm and the other half wanting to run to everything and anything.

I have ALWAYS started with terror tram (especially if I've got scaredy cats in my group, it's a nice way to let them get that first "HOLY SH*T!!" scare out of the way and get pumped for the rest of the night. I then move to the lower lot, then backlot then filter to the upper lot. Very little has changed since I first went in 2006 and I don't plan on changing anything. It's definitely possible to see/do everything without a FOL pass, I've been lucky every year (last year being the luckiest with 4 walk throughs of insidious and two at TWD and Evil Dead), to not hit insane lines thanks to hustling, it's half the fun. As long as you're with a group that's down to MOVE and on the same page, all is well.

• Like 2

I started with Terror Tram from 07 - 09. It seemed like a great way to ease into the night.

I still feel like it's weird to start the night with a maze and to the end the night with a maze.

Because you start with maybe TOO much of a hype and a rush. I need something to calm me down a bit so I can go into the maze levelheaded so I won't come out disappointed. And leaving the park after a maze is the biggest downer, because the mazes all end with you on a rush of excitement to keep going.

Last year when we were done on my second trip after B&T and it was over, we walked out of a maze and we were kinda just like "um... okay, I guess we're... done..." and walked out awkwardly.

For KSF, I never found that to be that big of a deal because it was such a huge park with so many mazes, so by the end of the night we were exhausted and WANTED to leave.

But HHN is a very linearly designed place with less to explore, so anywhere you leave from the park is just a constant reminder that you COULD do a repeat of a maze or you'll wish it was still open.

Leaving from the backlot? You have to walk directly in front of 4 mazes that are closed. Must be torture.

I wish TT stayed opened later so I could do that last.

Looks like I'll probably be doing Despicable Me last this year though. I don't know how else to properly end it with B&T gone.

It was SO perfect to end the night with it because it had the natural rise and fall of storytelling. So the climax and resolution felt like the climax and resolution of your night. Eh, maybe I'm just crazy.

Or maybe I need to concoct one of my crazy stories where I turn the entire theme park into a giant story, where I have to purposely go from one end of the park to the other while specifically looking for something. So by the time I reach Dracula/Face Off, it'll be the final showdown. Hmmmm...

Edited by DTH316

show up around 4:30 and go to the right after you go through security go to the right by will call (towards the Water World structure) there should be a guy making it obvious with a sign and a megaphone. Give them the ticket and they usher you in to the front of water world you wait there until 6, then they walk you to New York street in front of Cartooniversal to the side of the fire tower and they keep you until 6:30 then walk you to the backlot.

awe but then you miss the opening

Most seem to have the same idea - start with TT and work their way from there.

Last year I had VIP for the first time, so we hung out in the lounge before our designated tram boarding time. Usually, we'll do tram, then lower lot, back lot, and upper lot last. I agree, though, exiting the park after a maze seems so strange to me because I'm still pumped to do more. Last year we went through HOH last and went straight back to the lounge to grab some dessert, check out the Purge while we were on our way out, and then headed home.

• Like 1

In need of some advice for this year. I didn't attend last year (sigh) which was when the backlot mazes and zone started. Prior, I had watched opening scaramonies then straight to TT, lower lot, then upper lot. Never did early access and was always done with every maze with time to spare. I have seen a couple plans which don't include the TT first. What is the best way to go? We have day/night combo tix because all of my friends haven't been to Uni in forever, So rides won't be on the plan for HHN. We are going Saturday. Not that either of those things should change that plan much. Help is greatly appreciated!

Most seem to have the same idea - start with TT and work their way from there.

Last year I had VIP for the first time, so we hung out in the lounge before our designated tram boarding time. Usually, we'll do tram, then lower lot, back lot, and upper lot last. I agree, though, exiting the park after a maze seems so strange to me because I'm still pumped to do more. Last year we went through HOH last and went straight back to the lounge to grab some dessert, check out the Purge while we were on our way out, and then headed home.

Welcome to the forums!

Saturdays are normally packed as all holy hell, honestly I highly recommend early access a lot had changed since the last time you went there are only two mazes on the upper lot and the lower lot has two and the back lot has three as opposed to 2 years ago when it was four on the upper lot and two on the lower lot. The back lot maze WILL reach two hour waits quick. Do early entry especially with the walk it will save your ass. if you hit the mazes in the back lot first then do the two on the lower lot even with the 3 rides down there you'll be done by 9:30 the latest and you can do whatever you want on the upper lot in any order and can even repeat if you got the time for lines. Honestly I would skip the opening it's awesome and everything but it puts you on the same step as majority of the on time crowd plus it's on youtube. hope this helps.

Welcome to the forums!

Saturdays are normally packed as all holy hell, honestly I highly recommend early access a lot had changed since the last time you went there are only two mazes on the upper lot and the lower lot has two and the back lot has three as opposed to 2 years ago when it was four on the upper lot and two on the lower lot. The back lot maze WILL reach two hour waits quick. Do early entry especially with the walk it will save your ass. if you hit the mazes in the back lot first then do the two on the lower lot even with the 3 rides down there you'll be done by 9:30 the latest and you can do whatever you want on the upper lot in any order and can even repeat if you got the time for lines. Honestly I would skip the opening it's awesome and everything but it puts you on the same step as majority of the on time crowd plus it's on youtube. hope this helps.

Thanks!

I have tickets for tomorrow as well and don't mind missing the opening, I think this has been asked previously, but what time would you recommend getting there for early access? I usually go middle/end of October, but I wanted to attend opening weekend for once and seeing as FOL and VIP already sold out it seems like it's going to be a mad house.

• Like 1

I would like opening scaramonies so much more if it was in a less crowded area. Herding passed Universal plaza is a pain before some room opens up and you can breathe.

I think it would be cool if it worked like this...

Three separate opening scaramonies.

You can pick and choose which area you want to be in at a first come, first serve basis.

NY Street for those who want to see The Purge's Opening Scaramonies and ideally do Dracula/Face Off first.

London street for those who want to see Dark Christmas' opening and ideally want to do the lower lot OR Despicable Me first.

And French Street for Mask-A-Raid's opening and ideally want to go to the backlot first (basically like Early Access).

Those that come late are forced to do NY Street once London and French street are filled, since it's the biggest.

Thanks!

I have tickets for tomorrow as well and don't mind missing the opening, I think this has been asked previously, but what time would you recommend getting there for early access? I usually go middle/end of October, but I wanted to attend opening weekend for once and seeing as FOL and VIP already sold out it seems like it's going to be a mad house.

I would recommend 5:30. 6 seems to cut it close since they let you in at 6:30 and who knows if and when they'll stop letting people come in for early access.

• Like 1

Thanks!

Honestly I recommend 4:30 to 5:00, 5:30 I think is cutting it too close as well. Plus it might be first come first serve depending on crowds.

• Like 1

I think I'll do Simpsons last. I'll throw Transformers in after the backlot and Despicable Me after TT before Dracula as palette cleansers (plus, I want to ensure I get on Despicable Me). Simpsons will finish it up and we'll make our way out during Chainsaw Chase Out.

Oh and 4:30 - 5 for Early Entry seems a bit extreme. Opening Night, I walked in at around 6. UNLESS it's one of the peak nights.

I think I'll do Simpsons last. I'll throw Transformers in after the backlot and Despicable Me after TT before Dracula as palette cleansers (plus, I want to ensure I get on Despicable Me). Simpsons will finish it up and we'll make our way out during Chainsaw Chase Out.

Oh and 4:30 - 5 for Early Entry seems a bit extreme. Opening Night, I walked in at around 6. UNLESS it's one of the peak nights.

I'll take a survey on here of how crowded it is on the 26th. I'll base my arrival time off of that.

Last year I got there at 5:30 and was in the back of the early access pack. I want to be up front this year.

I've decided to do the rides last just to get that "closure" feeling I didn't get last year or 2012.

My closure for the night is and will always be chainsaw chaseout. As I'm working the event this year it'll be a bit tough to catch it but I sure will catch it with the group I'm taking on the 5th. Will try to jump in with wait times/crowds tonight on down time.

Weird....

Terror Tram (Last Tram: 11:45) 10 min

Face Off OPENS 7:00

Dracula OPENS 7:00

Despicable Me OPENS 7:00

Simpsons OPENS 7:00

LOWER LOT

American Werewolf OPENS 7:00

Clowns 3D OPENS 7:00

Transformers OPENS 7:00

Jurassic Park OPENS 7:00

Revenge of the Mummy OPENS 7:00

BACKLOT

The Walking Dead OPENS 7:00

AVP 10 min

From Dusk Till Dawn 10 min

What's goin on with AWIL and Clowns?

UPPER LOT

Terror Tram (Last Tram: 11:45) 20 min

Face Off 30 min

Dracula 15 min

Despicable Me 10 min

Simpsons 20 min

LOWER LOT

American Werewolf TEMPORARILY CLOSED

Clowns 3D TEMPORARILY CLOSED

Transformers 10 min

Jurassic Park 10 min

Revenge of the Mummy 10 min

BACKLOT

The Walking Dead 10 min

AVP 10 min

From Dusk Till Dawn 10 min

7:30

As predicted, TWD has the longest line. However, AVP was beating it for about maybe 10 minutes. Now it looks like TWD will stay in the lead for the rest of the night.

UPPER LOT

Face Off 30 min

Dracula 15 min

Despicable Me 15 min

Simpsons 20 min

LOWER LOT

American Werewolf 20 min

Clowns 3D 10 min

Transformers 10 min

Jurassic Park 10 min

BACKLOT

The Walking Dead 45 min

AVP 30 min

From Dusk Till Dawn 25 min

*sighs* Poor bastards stuck in the Face Off line for 30 minutes...

Edited by DTH316

UPPER LOT

Terror Tram (Last Tram: 11:45) 10 min

Face Off 30 min

Dracula 20 min

Despicable Me 25 min

Simpsons 20 min

LOWER LOT

American Werewolf 20 min

Clowns 3D 45 min

Transformers 10 min

Jurassic Park 10 min

BACKLOT

The Walking Dead 50 min

AVP 45 min

From Dusk Till Dawn 50 min

AVP is last in the backlot wars?! Oh well....

And why the hell is Clowns beating AWIL?

Edited by DTH316

I don't know, that didn't help Evil Dead at all. Usually JP queue wins the lower lot war.

Oh and I guess AVP is back on top again already with a 60 min wait. Interesting... maybe everything will fluctuate pretty evenly between those three mazes all the time.

Edited by DTH316

Ok so just to be sure because I'm not ... Where should TT fall into my game plan since ill be doing early entry first.

Towards the middle. At least until you're done with the backlot & lower lot.

UPPER LOT

Face Off 30 min

Dracula 35 min

Despicable Me 30 min

Simpsons 20 min

LOWER LOT

American Werewolf 30 min

Clowns 3D 45 min

Transformers 20 min

Jurassic Park 10 min

Revenge of the Mummy 25 min

BACKLOT

The Walking Dead 65 min

AVP 80 min

From Dusk Till Dawn 50 min

I have a theory so far on a few things...

First, the backlot. I think everyone goes to FDTD first since that's the first thing they see after that long walk. But after the night goes on, people see the other lines are getting bigger and skip it, giving AVP the edge around 8 PM, and thus keeping FDTD at a steady line.

Then, for the lower lot... sad to say it, but awareness may be AWIL's problem. People love Clowns and 3D, so that's what they're heading to. I think because of this, I'll be altering my game plan to Clowns before AWIL now.

Edited by DTH316