HHNH Planning & Tips (The 2014 Edition)

So this game plan worked SUPER swell for us...

AVP
TWD
FDTD

(small potty break)

AWIL

Clowns

Terror Tram
Face Off

Dracula.

I need to go through the timings on everything but we were totally finished with everything by 11 at the latest. The only (marginally) substantial lines we waited in were TWD, Clowns. Terror Tram and Dracua. But maybe 30 minutes tops for each of those, and that's at the high end of the spectrum.

We took a super long relax break after Dracula and strolling through the scare zones. Like we probably just sat in the lower lot smoking section for a good hour just talking and we capped the night off with a run through with AWIL (Which I never scream in mazes, btw. I get started and gasp. But AWIL was one of the few times I let out a loud actual scream... but I'll write a review thread probably tomorrow.

I didn't think last night 10/5 warranted time updates because it was ABSOLUTELY DEAD throughout the entire park after 11pm, even prior to that, the longest wait time was AvP around 8-830pm. By 11pm you could walk right into everything (and I did.)

How did the Backlot-Upperlot-Lowerlot compared to the Backlot-Lowerlot-Upperlot plan?

Last night was going to be the night I tried that out but it was so dead that honestly, I'm just gonna try it on Friday when it's busy.

I don't even know if you can, every night so far (including last night even though it was a ghost town), has sold out so there hasn't been options to upgrade to FOL, I'm assuming probably around 40-70 depending on what night you're going (same as a regular FOL purchased at main gate or online) I'll try to look when I drop in today to pick up some stuff.

Edited by Mellie_Monster

I don't even know if you can, every night so far (including last night even though it was a ghost town), has sold out so there hasn't been options to upgrade to FOL, I'm assuming probably around 40-70 depending on what night you're going (same as a regular FOL purchased at main gate or online) I'll try to look when I drop in today to pick up some stuff.

thank you!

Yes, I used Friday night, it was obnoxious, something happened unrelated to universal (I think) that had tons of cop cars, holding up traffic, etc etc but that aside, even if there hadn't been a mess at the bottom of the hill, I can imagine the traffic just to get to where the cabs/limos/etc pick up off city walk is a nightmare, unless you stay THROUGH chainsaw chaseout and essentially give those crowds time to leave the parking structure and city walk, or if you tell uber/lyft to meet you elsewhere.

How much did it cost you to get home? Were the multipliers in effect?

Random question but I'll ask anyways so people who work at HHN or just people who would know this in general. I was talking to my friends about our trip later this month errrr November 1st anyways and a buddy of mine stated he wanted to go. The problem being is he was dismissed from the army like 3 or so years ago due to injury and suffers from Post Dramatic Stress Syndrome, he does not have it as bad as some people, not like he has flashbacks or anything but I know he is startled extremely easily around bangs or loud noises such as fireworks (he hates forth of July) and for the most part people sneaking up on him will freak him out not bad but I've seen him jump pretty high. Me and a few of my friends think it is not wise to bring him along and my other friend thinks we should that if we just talk to him before hand he will be fine. He has been to KSF since but it's Knotts, he claims he will laugh at it cuz he knows it's fake but we assume he is comparing it to Knotts, but like me and my friend have said maybe normally we would think it was fine to bring him but knowing about the nightmare/werewolf nazi scene in AWIL (Machine guns) and the dead military portrayed in TWD (IDK if there is any this year but I know the tank in the SZ had Walker military men static) so are we right to be weary on including him on our trip?

Random question but I'll ask anyways so people who work at HHN or just people who would know this in general. I was talking to my friends about our trip later this month errrr November 1st anyways and a buddy of mine stated he wanted to go. The problem being is he was dismissed from the army like 3 or so years ago due to injury and suffers from Post Dramatic Stress Syndrome, he does not have it as bad as some people, not like he has flashbacks or anything but I know he is startled extremely easily around bangs or loud noises such as fireworks (he hates forth of July) and for the most part people sneaking up on him will freak him out not bad but I've seen him jump pretty high. Me and a few of my friends think it is not wise to bring him along and my other friend thinks we should that if we just talk to him before hand he will be fine. He has been to KSF since but it's Knotts, he claims he will laugh at it cuz he knows it's fake but we assume he is comparing it to Knotts, but like me and my friend have said maybe normally we would think it was fine to bring him but knowing about the nightmare/werewolf nazi scene in AWIL (Machine guns) and the dead military portrayed in TWD (IDK if there is any this year but I know the tank in the SZ had Walker military men static) so are we right to be weary on including him on our trip?

I would talk to him and let him know about all of the factors that may set him off. That is, if you haven't already.

How much did it cost you to get home? Were the multipliers in effect?

I live 10 minutes down lankershim from Universal, and I met the lyft driver at the bottom of the hill across from the metro station (I stated on the universal side, but the metro was right across from me). I think with tip it cost me about $13-15 which to be honest, seemed a bit pricey but it was Friday night and prime time for drivers to be picking folks up. If I'm in a bund, I'd take uber/lyft again both companies have "first ride free" specials so check those out too!

I would DEFINITELY have a talk with him before going, I have seen several disabled guests at HHN, all types of disabilities, and while the visual ones (I believe opening weekend there was a gentlemen with Down's syndrome sitting outside HoH during opening scaremonies and for the most part the SAs left him alone as far as HARDCORE scaring, in fact, the polite leader SA came up and shook his hand and talked to him" but I'd talk with your friend and just keep close eyes on him/SAs, as PTSD isn't something you can "see" so wouldn't want ANYONE to have a bummed time (you, your friend or the SAs who scare him bad he loses it on them). I'd just be careful, I think he'll be fine, there are definitely ways to navigate through mazes and SZs without being bothered and everyone can have a great time.

Great! Thanks for the feedback! Also my one friend is really sensitive to loud bangs or explosions (aka gunshots, etc). Are there any in the event at all this year?

Depending on what is enough to trigger him, there's either almost none or constantly throughout every maze and scarezone. Most of the scare triggers are percussive and scareactors do often bang on things for scares. The front also has loud explosions.

• Like 1

I would talk to him and let him know about all of the factors that may set him off. That is, if you haven't already.

thanks for the feedback guys, luckily his PTSD is not bad enough that he would lash out bad just the fight or flight punch which I'm sure we can talk to him before hand. The only thing I'm worried about is anything war related (i.e. the nazis in AWIl or dead soldiers) would disturb him.

Sorry to say it, but it may be too much of a risk to take him and possibly effecting your night. I always play it safe with my group of friends to assure we see everything.

Bad bladder? Sorry, our group can only afford to stop once.

Wanna bring someone I don't know? Sorry, our group is already full.

Easily afraid clowns? Sorry, we're going in the Clowns maze twice.

HHN is time to experience HHN. Me and my friends can be friends some other time lmao

I'm going to be monitoring tonight's wait times closely, because I have a trip on Thursday (hopefully!) that I wanna be prepared for to see what waits look like on a weekday.

Here's your 7:15 update:

UPPER LOT

Terror Tram (Last tram: 11:15) 10 min

Face Off 20 min

Dracula 15 min

Despicable Me 20 min

Simpsons 20 min

LOWER LOT

American Werewolf 10 min

Clowns 3D 10 min

Transformers 10 min

Jurassic Park 10 min

Revenge of the Mummy 10 min

BACKLOT

The Walking Dead 30 min

AVP 30 min

From Dusk Till Dawn 15 min

I think it's safe to say at this point, that FDTD should be done last while on the backlot.

Edited by DTH316
  • Like 1

I'm going to be monitoring tonight's wait times closely, because I have a trip on Thursday (hopefully!) that I wanna be prepared for to see what waits look like on a weekday.

I think it's safe to say at this point, that FDTD should be done last while on the backlot.

Thanks for keeping us updated! I'll be going Thursday too and Im worried the lines will be crazy long. Planning on doing early entry and everything but I wanna try to do AVP and AWIL at least twice each. Most likely will be skipping Terror Tram this time. What do you think would be the best way to do that? Do backlot, lower lot, repeat backlot mazes I want to do, then go up? Or backlot, lower lot, upper lot and then backlot again. 1st option is probably better right?

7:40 update

UPPER LOT

Terror Tram (Last tram: 11:15) 20 min

Face Off 30 min

Dracula 20 min

Despicable Me 20 min

Simpsons 20 min

LOWER LOT

American Werewolf 25 min

Clowns 3D 10 min

Transformers 10 min

Jurassic Park 10 min

Revenge of the Mummy 10 min

BACKLOT

The Walking Dead 40 min

AVP 40 min

From Dusk Till Dawn 25 min

From what I can tell, Werewolf has slowly gained more popular than Clowns on the lower lot, thus getting a bigger line first now. This'll change my game plan some, as I usually tell people Clowns first, but now I will say Werewolf and then Clowns.

Thanks for keeping us updated! I'll be going Thursday too and Im worried the lines will be crazy long. Planning on doing early entry and everything but I wanna try to do AVP and AWIL at least twice each. Most likely will be skipping Terror Tram this time. What do you think would be the best way to do that? Do backlot, lower lot, repeat backlot mazes I want to do, then go up? Or backlot, lower lot, upper lot and then backlot again. 1st option is probably better right?

Why not do backlot-backlot, lower lot, upper lot? haha

If that's not an option, I say the second option. The first option, you'd be running into AVP at it's highest peak wait time. The end of the night is generally shorter.

Edited by DTH316

9:00 PM update

UPPER LOT

Terror Tram (Last tram: 11:15) 25 min

Face Off 15 min

Dracula 15 min

Despicable Me 30 min

Simpsons 30 min

LOWER LOT

American Werewolf 40 min

Clowns 3D 65 min

Transformers TEMPORARILY CLOSED

Jurassic Park 20 min

Revenge of the Mummy 40 min

BACKLOT

The Walking Dead 90 min

AVP 70 min

From Dusk Till Dawn 70 min

Nevermind, Clowns is still more popular than Werewolf. TWD is doing pretty good right now too.

From what I can tell, Werewolf has slowly gained more popular than Clowns on the lower lot, thus getting a bigger line first now. This'll change my game plan some, as I usually tell people Clowns first, but now I will say Werewolf and then Clowns.

Why not do backlot-backlot, lower lot, upper lot? haha

If that's not an option, I say the second option. The first option, you'd be running into AVP at it's highest peak wait time. The end of the night is generally shorter.

Lol I don't know I figured AWIL would get too long of a line if I did AVP back to back. But I just had a dumb moment. X) thanks.

9:30 update

UPPER LOT

Terror Tram (Last tram: 11:15) 25 min

Face Off 15 min

Dracula 15 min

Despicable Me 30 min

Simpsons 30 min

LOWER LOT

American Werewolf 50 min

Clowns 3D 65 min

Jurassic Park 20 min

Revenge of the Mummy 55 min

BACKLOT

The Walking Dead 105 min

AVP 95 min

1015 update

UPPER LOT

Terror Tram (Last tram: 11:15) 20 min

Face Off 15 min

Dracula 30 min

Despicable Me 30 min

Simpsons 30 min

LOWER LOT

American Werewolf 70 min

Clowns 3D 80 min

Jurassic Park 50 min

Revenge of the Mummy 75 min

BACKLOT

The Walking Dead 105 min

AVP 105 min

11:00 PM Update

UPPER LOT

Terror Tram (Last tram: 11:15) NO WAIT!

Face Off 10 min

Dracula 45 min

Despicable Me 40 min

Simpsons 40 min

LOWER LOT

American Werewolf 70 min

Clowns 3D 70 min

Transformers 95 min

Jurassic Park 50 min

Revenge of the Mummy 45 min

BACKLOT

The Walking Dead 95 min

AVP 120 min

Edited by DTH316

11:30 Update

UPPER LOT

Terror Tram (Last tram: 11:15) NO WAIT!

Face Off 25 min

Dracula 55 min

Despicable Me 65 min

Simpsons 40 min

LOWER LOT

American Werewolf 60 min

Clowns 3D 70 min

Transformers 2 hrs

Jurassic Park 10 min

Revenge of the Mummy 50 min

BACKLOT

The Walking Dead 85 min

AVP 105 min

Hm. These really don't look like weekday crowds. That sucks :-/. The event didn't even sell out tonight either, so I guess they're not underselling tickets on weekdays like they use to. Grrr

Edited by DTH316

Whoops, totally forgot about the last 2 hours. Here's the 1:30 update:

UPPER LOT

Terror Tram (Last tram: 11:15) CLOSED

Face Off 20 min

Dracula 20 min
Despicable Me 45 min

Simpsons 40 min

LOWER LOT

American Werewolf 15 min

Clowns 3D 25 min

Transformers 45 min