HHN 2014: From Dusk 'Till Dawn

Freak

we shall all have a pow wow after it is released on netflix!

Just get it on pirate bay lol its an amazing show. I like how they ease into the snake/vampire setting instead like the movie where it's like hey were in a bar called tittie twisters and bam all of a sudden snake/vampire monsters!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I watched this series. Apart from my actual opinion on it, I think it'll be a pretty good maze. Hopefully it'll be really dark. Like, the lighting will be dark... Could have a lot of potential to be a top maze.

But the series was ok. It gotta kinda worse toward the end, but didn't suck.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Chiiiiill, we're not covering the Gecko brothers' journey to Mexico. Our maze is about when we already get there.

Overall, I liked the series. It's deeefinitely got its flaws, some more glaringly bad than others, but as has been said a million times, a maze does not have to be based on a perfect or even a good IP to turn out amazing and that's what most important here. The only thing that matters really are great visuals and music, and it's hard to deny that the series has tons of that.

I'm skipping passed this and getting to the horror. There's no way I can sit through this atrocious acting and horribly written script for another 5 episodes trying to pass off as drama. I have no idea how I watched the entire first episode. How the hell did Robert Rodriguez stoop this low? Machete Kills was bad and now this. If Sin City this weekend starts off bad too, then I know to expect it'll never get better and that I should just leave early to get my money back.

^True but in Breaking Bad... *cough* they cooked meth from episode one, and the violence started right away. Most (good) compelling TV shows are able to take their time with storytelling and, at the same time, burn through enough interesting story to keep the viewer engaged, at least. But then again I don't think FDTD was ever hoping for an Emmy or anything haha

It does start out really slow, but the horror and gore picks up once they get to the twister. That said, I still feel that all the back story and setup in the first few episodes are worth it because it builds up a more twisted psychological thriller vibe to go along with the story's horror and gore. They've really added a lot of different elements that make it a much more interesting story. The entire experience might not be as fast paced and in your face as the movie but it still holds it's weight as a tv show.

Also, I'll admit that the acting gets a bit rough in a few areas and the writing leaves something to be desired at times especially when compared to the raw, snappy writing that Tarantino exhibited in the movie. However, saying that it is horrible and atrocious is being overly dramatic. You cannot question Murdy or Rodriguez, and you cannot say that it's a horrible show IF you have not even seen it in it's entirety. Just like you can't watch 10 minutes of a movie or listen to the first 15 seconds of a song and write it off as trash. I see that horror is desired with this show, and horror is what you get, but if all you're watching for is to see blood, guts, and death then you will be very disappointed.

If your opinion does not change after watching the whole season then it's just a matter of personal taste. I mean, obviously the show wasn't horrible if the ratings were positive enough to give it a second season. Moreover, I think it's just horror shows people have a problem with. When horror moves from movies to tv, it changes. It has to. It becomes drawn out and more complex. How else would they fill the 15 hours of every season as opposed to the 2 hours for movies. People think the same of The Walking Dead and yet here it remains with 4 successful and critically acclaimed seasons and a 3rd year at both HHNs.

• Like 2

Good point about TWD. When the action picks up it is great, but there are a lot of episodes that are just angry people camping.

Mostly finished with FDTD series. The creatures are dramatically un-Dracula Untold like (good) and there are a ton of new characters and environments. I am now even more excited.

Oh, and if hammy acting actually killed a franchise's chances of being a maze then NOES would have been a disaster.

• Like 2

No, the acting and writing is atrocious. I'm sorry, but it is. Its near Sharknado bad. The two girls in the store were expressionless the entire time stuff was happening. Richie can't sell a line to save his life. And Seth trying to be Clooney borders on "hey, that's cool that its similar" to "ugh, this is annoying, just do your own thing." Obviously these aren't the only characters on the show, but first impressions mean everything, and its already been proven the leads aren't good enough. I have no problem sitting through a slow burn movie or show, but if the elements aren't together in the first place, then waiting for the payoff is excruciating. The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad are good examples of shows where nothing happens for most of the episode, sometimes over the course of many episodes, but the quality along the way keeps it entertaining and worth it to get to the payoff. The acting and writing on both shows are realistic, and even with a b-movie style approach, not being realistic doesn't mean it should be completely flat or purposely all the way bad. And you can totally judge a show or movie in its first episode, let alone 10 minutes. If it ain't up to par that early on, it won't live up to anything worthwhile later on. I can't think of one movie or show I like that didn't click with me in some way at least that early on, and the opposite, where I can smell trouble for the rest of the movie early on. Why would someone sit around watching an entire season of a show they didn't like from the get go? "Well, NOW its official 13 episodes and 13 hours later to confirm my suspicions I had within the first 10 mins, I don't like it." A TV show is a pretty big time commitment to be patient with - a movie is a different story (although I have a 15 min rule for movies) but sitting around wasting time watching a TV show I don't even like doesn't sound pleasant. Then ofcourse there's stuff that's good but just ain't my thing, like Game of Thrones. I recognize its a good show, with well rounded characters, acting, writing, payoffs and etc, but I can't get into it. I forced myself to watch 3 episodes and was bored the whole time. "It gets better later on!" I'm sorry, but I want to watch shows that are wise enough to be good NOW instead of later. This isn't the case for FDTD, which is simply just a bad show. If you like it, that's fine, I'm not saying anything is wrong with that, but its just my opinion. HHN has always represented GOOD movies and material, so for them to use such bland and bottom of the barrel entertainment is just sad to me.

Walking Dead sucks, though.

I liked FDTD. Yeah, there were shitty parts, but overall, I'd say it was ok. And I hate TV.

Even if it did suck, I'm pretty sure it's gonna translate into a good maze.

I will admit I didn't like the FDTD Pilot. I just wasn't a fan of how the episode was a standoff. Richie's hallucinations were the most interesting thing about it. When they actually started moving, I got a bit more interested.