Halloween Horror Nights 24 Speculation

Murder of Crows... Amazing name for a house or a scarezone

Scarezone!

Mix the look of some of Grown Evil's birdies with the Skeksis. Put it in NY or on Hollywood Blvd. You could get a fantasy/sci fi feel mixed with The Birds.

(This works amazingly well in my head. Actually doing it probably wouldn't turn out so well.)

EDIT: I now want this to be what the crows were referencing.

Edited by mystiquephreeq
  • Like 1

There was also one in the backlot that while in a tent I think it was bigger than a soundstage maze.

But overall there's no question, Orlando has bigger venues. I actually heard Hollywood's art director talk about how he envies all of the space Orlando gets to work with.

That is true, but at least they make the event a HARD PG - 13 event.

I've been wondering about this, i feel like the event hasn't been as "hardcore" as before.

I suppose that when dealing with I.Ps they have more restrictions.

It's difficult to extend the MPAA rating system to a horror event.

The MPAA rating system, itself, is a guide that is difficult to apply to horror. The rating system relies upon specific guidelines. Language, sexual content/theme, nudity, drug use, and violence are what affects the rating of a movie.

There has definitely been a trend away from more gore/violence induced horror in recent years, this would lower the ratings of haunts based on violence.

Live nudity has never been used at HHN (there was a nude mannequin in a Saw house at HHNH, I believe.)

Sexual content/theme is completely unnecessary unless it applies to the story. (The one scene in Bloodbath comes to mind as "applying" to the story.)

Drug use would again need to apply to the story.

Language is difficult to apply. The f word is what usually bumps a movie from PG-13 to R, and coarse language isn't often heard (or encouraged) from employees at theme parks. There is usually plenty of coarse language from guests though.

CITW and ED last year would receive at least a PG-13 rating due to the amount of blood and gore.

The question then becomes: How are you applying the ratings system?

If you're basing ratings purely on a "scare" factor, it's completely subjective. I don't find gore frightening. The last movie to truly frighten me was The Ring, and that was due to one scene. (The girl crawling out of the tv). I found the unnatural movements to trigger a more visceral fright.

This is also one of the reasons I hope for an Alien house. The movements and image of the Alien is alien. This produces a more instinctual fright in me.

Then one must considered that continued exposure to haunts (familiarity) will lessen the impact of scares.

So, how are we creating ratings for haunts? By the MPAA guidelines, or by how frightening we find the experience?

Edited by mystiquephreeq
  • Like 3

For the record, Murdy dropped a few bombshells that contradicted what TTT said. So if he was right about anything, it's based on old spec.

You know, for anyone who believed him.

Agreed a lot of what they said went off old spec. A lot has changed since then.

As for the whole PG/R debate. who cares what technical rating you give it so long as it is fun and enjoyable? I'm not someone who likes excessive gore, nudity, or F bombs.

Gore is unessecary and to me a lazy way of trying to produce a scare (the more there is, the less shocking it is), I don't find nudity in a theme park appropriate, and coarse language makes the speaker sound unintelligent. As mystique said it should be driven by the subject matter and not because they just want to bump up the rating... If you are looking for that kind of fare, their are plently of mom and pop haunts that push the envelope. But I highly doubt a theme park like Universal will ever do anything like that unless it falls into an extreme house. As with anything there is a trade off and you just have to decide what type of event suits you.

• Like 1

why the f**k are we talking about ratings????? Speculation people! SPECULATION!!!!!!!!

Ok! Spec:

At least one property (possibly two) shared with Hollywood. Trick R Treat or Alien or Poltergeist or The Purge (blech) or The Conjuring (double blech).

Trick R Treat and Alien will be houses! (No, I will not abandoned my Alien spec) Trick R Treat is not as concrete spec wise, but it feels right.

At least one original.

No TWD (cautious optimism based on tweet)

AHS because Eraser got erased last year and they may give it another go.

I'm unsure on other houses.

A&D can we haz code names? We promise we won't figure them out in less than 10 minutes! Promise. Will be good and wait a few weeks!

EDIT:

Possible Urban Legend house.

Hollywood transplant probably Insidious which isn't as blech as Purge/Conjuring but kinda blech.

Edited by mystiquephreeq
  • Like 1

Ok! Spec:

At least one property (possibly two) shared with Hollywood. Trick R Treat or Alien or Poltergeist or The Purge (blech) or The Conjuring (double blech).

Trick R Treat and Alien will be houses! (No, I will not abandoned my Alien spec) Trick R Treat is not as concrete spec wise, but it feels right.

At least one original.

A&D can we haz code names? We promise we won't figure them out in less than 10 minutes! Promise. Will be good and wait a few weeks!

EDIT:

Hollywood transplant probably Insidious which isn't as blech as Purge/Conjuring but kinda blech.

Add to the list: Nightingale's 2.

Also, unless things have changed (which, let's face it, is probable) the original house will be a dark comedy house.

If the rumors of an icon are true I would like an icon house, but I am guessing we will just get a scarezone over by the Gardens of Allah. An icon house would also give us a rumored four original houses (assuming we get Nightingale's 2, original dark comedy house, and an urban legends house) which would make things nice and even.

Edited by Cooger and Dark
  • Like 1

Last night Murdy confirmed on Twitter that they will not be using any music based houses so if we're sharing anything between coasts, it's not a music house.

Also, in response to someone asking if they were using anything from last year he said:

"@jakesundstrom let me just simply say there are no mazes you experienced last year that will return this year..."

If he's not just saying they're not reusing any maze from last year without any changes (meaning, they could still use the IP but in a different house), he just confirmed no TWD. The rest is fair game for us to take for our event. But if Hollywood's not getting it again, I'd bet we won't be either, because it seemed like it was even more popular over there both 2012 and 2013.

Last night Murdy confirmed on Twitter that they will not be using any music based houses so if we're sharing anything between coasts, it's not a music house.

Also, in response to someone asking if they were using anything from last year he said:

"@jakesundstrom let me just simply say there are no mazes you experienced last year that will return this year..."

If he's not just saying they're not reusing any maze from last year without any changes (meaning, they could still use the IP but in a different house), he just confirmed no TWD. The rest is fair game for us to take for our event. But if Hollywood's not getting it again, I'd bet we won't be either, because it seemed like it was even more popular over there both 2012 and 2013.

Where'd he say no TWD?

Ok! Spec:

At least one original.

EDIT:

Why "double blech" on The Conjuring? Is it because you don't think it would make a good house? Or is it because you didn't like the movie? I'm flabbergasted if you say you didn't like the movie.. thought it was the scariest movie I've seen in decades. LOVED it. Now, whether it'd be a good house or not is very subjective. I'm totally with you on BLECH for "The Purge" which, on the flipside, was the dumbest movie I've seen in decades.

I can barely stand not knowing what property Aiello was so jacked about. From all that he's said, he seems to love the horror movies I grew up with. After seeing the magic they created with AWIL last year, I'm just dying to know what they will pull off this year - so hoping it's another old classic like that which can be brought to life by those friggin geniuses at A&D.

While we are speculating - any comments/speculation on whether Legendary Truth will be part of the event again this year? I had so much fun last year with that - it made a shitty "streets" year more tolerable because it gave us something else to focus on.

Dr. Jimmy - you can start with the cryptic comments any time now.. <tapping fingers on desk with impatience>