Halloween Horror Nights 2014 Wishful Thinking & Pre Speculation

That's a good way to look at it. If it causes higher quality to all if the houses and allows more shows, then I'm all for the return if WD. The problem is that I'm afraid they will use it as a money grab and keep quality low.

Uni is smarter then that, when it comes down to it everyone should know "It takes money to make money". The quality was not bad this year by any stretch of the imagination or at least compared to last year "The Year Of The Black Wall" which also was more of a time issue then quality. The static figures in Evil Dead was a result of bad execusion...it looked better on paper not cuz Universal and Murdy decided to not pay scare actors and put dummies. Murdy did really try to make Evil Dead cutting edge and it just did'nt live up to plan but trail and error you know sheet like that. As far as quality it really went up this year the only weak point this year was Bill and Ted but that was cuz of bad writting this year. Overall I suspect this next year to be the best year....we do have luck with even number years after all.

I kinda dont know about the Spin off doing well at all let alone having an effect in HHN.

I think the spin-off is a best case scenario for them. It's a way to basically bring back TWD brand and all the hype that goes along with it while also being able to deflect any criticism of repeating a theme so many times.

When it comes to zombies I would say the 3 biggest names are TWD, RE, and the Romero movies (including the Dawn remake) with WWZ possibly being an up and coming one. I know we've focused on RE, but I wonder if a Romero zombie maze might have a chance. A remake of Day is supposed to be released in 2014.

The only Romero zombie film that I see would be possible as a maze is Day of the Dead. I think that has way less awareness than the other 2 though. I think Dawn of the Dead could work, but Murdy wants to be a smart ass and says "buy me a mall and I'll do it." Dude, we just need to go through some shop fronts and such, and that's it, jeez. If we can suspend our belief that we're going into a hospital, prison or a Coney Island carnival attraction that leads to hell, then I'm pretty sure they can sell off the look of going into a mall.

That's a good way to look at it. If it causes higher quality to all if the houses and allows more shows, then I'm all for the return if WD. The problem is that I'm afraid they will use it as a money grab and keep quality low.

I wouldn't say HHN is lower in quality. It may have disappointed you this year but it's one of the highest quality events out there.

I wouldn't say HHN is lower in quality. It may have disappointed you this year but it's one of the highest quality events out there.

Hollywood has had a drop in quality this year. The only HHN worthy sets were BS, WD and arguably Insidious. Orlando on the other hand hit hard with each maze.

Edited by UniversalStudiosGeek

You didn't like the sets for Cucuy? Or ED? They both were great. Both had problems (Cucuy's length - ED's odd lighting that didn't match the movie & puppets) but they were still good design wise.

In fact, Insidious is probably the least designed out of all of them. 35% of that maze is black walls, although it represents the Further.

Edited by DTH316

I don't think there's any doubt TWD spin off will be one of the most anticipated shows going into the 2015 TV season. It could pull an Agents of SHIELD and lose a bunch of viewers after a big premiere episode, but on name recognition alone it will still be successful. Most TWD fans are fans of the show only. Many of them probably are only vaguely aware of the comics. TWD gets around 20 million viewers per episode while the comic sells around 350,000 copies per issue. Even if you allow that a few of those copies will be read by multiple people that's like 2-3% the number of readers compared to viewers of the show.

I agree 100% on both of those cases, but they were far better than '11 in The Thing, no re-do of HOTC's boring murder ride walls, and Hostel.
I think the Mummy venue doesn't work for mazes that have a lot of outdoor scenes. It works best with the closed in areas (TCM, SAW, Hostel). Murdy should have put ED in the JP que and Insidious in the Mummy que.

Hollywood has had a drop in quality this year. The only HHN worthy sets were BS, WD and arguably Insidious. Orlando on the other hand hit hard with each maze.

I'm surprised you liked the arts to Black Sabbath. That did not feel like a movie-quality maze IMO. ED, Cucuy, and Walking Dead were the houses with good sets. BS and Insidious just did not feel up to par. Compare the houses to all if the ones from 2008 and 09 and you will see how lacking in detail the mazes ae compared to the ones this year.

I think the Mummy venue doesn't work for mazes that have a lot of outdoor scenes. It works best with the closed in areas (TCM, SAW, Hostel). Murdy should have put ED in the JP que and Insidious in the Mummy que.

I agree. The Mummy and Persian Zsquare are both overly restrictive venues. We'll have to live with that unfortunately since HHN has no more space and doesn't have the money to buy more sound stages. The Mummy venue I can live with them keeping a bit longer, but Persoan Square has got to go. They need to bring back give Shrek queue. They could still have the overflow in Plaza. They should also be persistent in getting the WaterWorld queue. It may be annoying for daytime operations, but it can be done.

• Like 1

ActuaIlly, a lot of spin off TV shows do well. Frasier, Saved by the Bell, Daria, Angel, NCIS (the most watched show on TV for years), Private Practice, Xena, Family Matters.... Muppet Babies.

But compare that to the list of spin offs that fall into obscurities btw nice name drop with muppet babies.

And yes that was my point about comic fans getting lost in translation with the show same thing with the shows fans transferring to the spin off

I think they should use the Plaza itself. Its such big ass piece of space. And that location has been very lucky for mazes in the past. They could probably make the mazes even bigger now since there's no walls restricting it inside the arena. And the line could just oddly circle around it like it used to, or have the line go into the Square, with Chucky's Insult Emporium as in queue entertainment. That would be great.

I think they should use the Plaza itself. Its such big ass piece of space. And that location has been very lucky for mazes in the past. They could probably make the mazes even bigger now since there's no walls restricting it inside the arena. And the line could just oddly circle around it like it used to, or have the line go into the Square, with Chucky's Insult Emporium as in queue entertainment. That would be great.

thats ideal but whould the courtyard fit as many people in a queue as the plaza would? not only that Im sure universal does not want to have something there for daytime operations.

I'm surprised you liked the arts to Black Sabbath. That did not feel like a movie-quality maze IMO. ED, Cucuy, and Walking Dead were the houses with good sets. BS and Insidious just did not feel up to par. Compare the houses to all if the ones from 2008 and 09 and you will see how lacking in detail the mazes ae compared to the ones this year.

Really? I thought the sets were the only cool thing about BS. Granted, I thought they would use the vertical space, but looking back..I don't think there was much vertical space to use without any saftey problems. That SS is pretty short, I remember looking up in the maze...the ceiling was pretty close.

Yeah I also liked the sets of BS. I didn't find the maze scary at all, but the 3D and sets were impressive.

Do you guys think we'll be seeing Black Sabbath return in an all new maze? I don't think we will but I'm worried we might ><

Edited by shark23

The tone of the maze didn't play out like there was going to be a sequel. They didn't seen concerned with any theme up until War Pigs (WTMN and GTH had a more concise theme) and they used most of the good stuff while WTMN left a lot of stuff for GTH to use. The only

I mean what's left? Of their hits not that much. I'd love to see Hand of Doom, Into the Void, and Snowblind but those are only three songs. It would be a pretty tight stretch.