HHN Hollywood 2013 Event Discussion

Trying to emulate them I would suppose. HHN on both coasts are surprisingly popular in other countries. I wonder if their 4th maze is based on a film Hollywood or Orlando is doing as well.

It's true. You get a lot of people flying out from other countries.

From what I can tell from a dimly lit video of their Saw maze, WB seems to do a decent job. A bit short though.

• Like 1

It's true. You get a lot of people flying out from other countries.

From what I can tell from a dimly lit video of their Saw maze, WB seems to do a decent job. A bit short though.

I saw a video of their Walking Dead maze last year (based on Season 3[not sure if this year is a repeat]) and it wasn't bad but it wasn't great. Like us they have Trevler as the main marketing Zombie for their maze as well.

• Like 1

My main problem with this year is it's just not scary. It has it's moments (mainly in insidious for me) but the scare factor isn't nearly as good as it's been in the past. I remember walking though mazes like Kill Jason Kill, Welcome To My Nightmare and The Saw is the Law and getting scared shitless. In my first time through those mazes I had this feeling that I just needed to get out of there as fast as possible. This year I didn't experience that at all. The only mazes that I got a single scare in we're Insidious an Evil Dead. It's disappointing. We'll see how it is by the end of the run but for me this would be what they call a "rebuilding year."

• Like 1

Well my mom dislikes my dads side cousins and won't let me go with them but not only they can't get fol anymore. And all my friends are pussies/b***** bout going. They all broke or scared or always have a reason. All i need is a ride and someone to go with,

I swear is it really that hard to go to damn universal studios Hollywood for Halloween horror nights ?

People are lame af these days. Ugh I'm so pissed

Well my mom dislikes my dads side cousins and won't let me go with them but not only they can't get fol anymore. And all my friends are pussies/b***** bout going. They all broke or scared or always have a reason. All i need is a ride and someone to go with,

I swear is it really that hard to go to damn universal studios Hollywood for Halloween horror nights ?

People are lame af these days. Ugh I'm so pissed

Don't rely on anyone. Take DTH's advice and just go by yourself ! -.- lol

I'm only 15. if I could I would. My parents won't let me go alone. -.- there barley letting me go. At first I was trying to take a date. But now I'm desperate!! I'm just tryin to go!! There is still a few ways I could go but hopefully they work out and if not then no HHN 2013 for me.

I believe you can still take a taxi.

Have your parents drop you off. Tell em they can hang out at City Walk while you try and do everything quickly. If you got nobody to go with, say you're meeting up with someone and say they're already inside.

I believe you can still take a taxi. Have your parents drop you off. Tell em they can hang out at City Walk while you try and do everything quickly. If you got nobody to go with, say you're meeting up with someone and say they're already inside.
I thought about that. I'll honestly try everything I could!

Ill probably post my review tomorrow night, but as of right now, I am waiting to go on my flight back to LA. After seeing the high quality event that Orlando put on, I can only see how much more disappointing our event was this year. It revealed to me how bland and repetative our event is becoming. I'll post more on my Orlando trip tomorrow night.

But I'll give a little sneak preview right now while its fresh on my mind. The way Florida did their scares were super effective while relying on the audio triggers without too many flashing lights, same movements, or sound effects. For example, there would be one actor pretending to be a statue. He would hit the pedal, making a loud noise and was actually very effective without the strobe light. Although there were a couple of scares in the houses that was similar to what Hollywood normally does, the hiding spot was not so painfully obvious with a big black curtain in the middle of the scenery. There would be leaves or branches or themed elements covering the boo hole. John Murdy should take note of this as to how to use the audio trigger. Use it generously in different ways and different sound effects. Stop making every single scare someone running out of an out of place cheap boo hole you can see for miles.

Another thing I want to add: If we do get AWiL next year, there's no way it will be as good as Florida's version. Picadilly Circus was such a huge room and the werewolf animatronics were SO well-done it was incredible. The only way to make it half as good is if Florida ships those animatronics over to Hollywood. Otherwise, I dread at the thought of Murdy reusing all of the Mia animatronics from Evil Dead for AWiL. Imagine the "vomiting Mia" being redressed as the werewolf mauling Jack. There's no way Hollywood would ever have the budget for that sort of spectacle. I would love for Hollywood to get it, but again, unless Florida is willing to help them out, there no chance it will be as good.

So that's my little sneak preview for my review. I wish Hollywood would step up their game and go outside the box. I want our event to do MUCH more than what tvey are doing now. Orlando has set the standard. I will totally respect your opinion on our event this year, but I'll say that if you loved this year, you're kidding yourself. I know you love going to the event, but deep inside I know there's that thought somewhere of "Gee, they can do more than this." Again, if you like this year, that's cool and to each his own. But I'll say that if you continue to give this year much praise, you will give John Murdy the message of "If it works, keep doing it until everyone hates it." Also to note, this year has yet to sell out. The fact that opening night was so far, from what I've heard and seen, the most crowded night so far and didn't even sell out speaks a lot to me on where our event is at in the eyes of the crowd. If this continues, I think Hollywood will finally get the message that things need to change. They'll have to do so sooner or later with Knotts stepping it up and Rob Zombie just sprouting up down the highway. I think we may already be getting to the point where people are tired of it.

Ill probably post my review tomorrow night, but as of right now, I am waiting to go on my flight back to LA. After seeing the high quality event that Orlando put on, I can only see how much more disappointing our event was this year. It revealed to me how bland and repetative our event is becoming. I'll post more on my Orlando trip tomorrow night.

But I'll give a little sneak preview right now while its fresh on my mind. The way Florida did their scares were super effective while relying on the audio triggers without too many flashing lights, same movements, or sound effects. For example, there would be one actor pretending to be a statue. He would hit the pedal, making a loud noise and was actually very effective without the strobe light. Although there were a couple of scares in the houses that was similar to what Hollywood normally does, the hiding spot was not so painfully obvious with a big black curtain in the middle of the scenery. There would be leaves or branches or themed elements covering the boo hole. John Murdy should take note of this as to how to use the audio trigger. Use it generously in different ways and different sound effects. Stop making every single scare someone running out of an out of place cheap boo hole you can see for miles.

Another thing I want to add: If we do get AWiL next year, there's no way it will be as good as Florida's version. Picadilly Circus was such a huge room and the werewolf animatronics were SO well-done it was incredible. The only way to make it half as good is if Florida ships those animatronics over to Hollywood. Otherwise, I dread at the thought of Murdy reusing all of the Mia animatronics from Evil Dead for AWiL. Imagine the "vomiting Mia" being redressed as the werewolf mauling Jack. There's no way Hollywood would ever have the budget for that sort of spectacle. I would love for Hollywood to get it, but again, unless Florida is willing to help them out, there no chance it will be as good.

So that's my little sneak preview for my review. I wish Hollywood would step up their game and go outside the box. I want our event to do MUCH more than what tvey are doing now. Orlando has set the standard. I will totally respect your opinion on our event this year, but I'll say that if you loved this year, you're kidding yourself. I know you love going to the event, but deep inside I know there's that thought somewhere of "Gee, they can do more than this." Again, if you like this year, that's cool and to each his own. But I'll say that if you continue to give this year much praise, you will give John Murdy the message of "If it works, keep doing it until everyone hates it." Also to note, this year has yet to sell out. The fact that opening night was so far, from what I've heard and seen, the most crowded night so far and didn't even sell out speaks a lot to me on where our event is at in the eyes of the crowd. If this continues, I think Hollywood will finally get the message that things need to change. They'll have to do so sooner or later with Knotts stepping it up and Rob Zombie just sprouting up down the highway. I think we may already be getting to the point where people are tired of it.

For AWIL, they were puppets. So I'm pretty sure we should be fine budget wise since we've had puppets before.

The event does have flaws, but come on, but let's not pretend that KSF is real competition with quality. I got better scares from my 5th time going through Insidious than I did the entire time I was at KSF. You want to complain about realism of special effects and then praise KSF?

I mean....3:55. Come on now. If spending that much time on a forum discussing HHN ruins your enjoyment of it that much, maybe that's the problem. Edited by ferox

Ferox, we get it. You didn't like Knott's. But It IS real competition. Its not the SAME product as HHN, but its in the same category. As I like to say, one s Del Taco, the other is Taco Bell. Some people prefer one style to the other. You just don't like KSFs style. A lot of people do, however, and its something that HHN has to take into consideration.

Edited by Trevler
  • Like 1

Real competition in terms of quality. What makes an event good depends on the person, but saying that KSF is competing in terms of quality is dishonest. That's why I pointed out the animatronic horse that was...well look at it. If you enjoy Seed of Chucky more than Child's Play 2, it's a matter of taste as they are very different movies. But if you say that Seed of Chucky had an overall more serious tone,well that's silly.

I didn't bring up KSF. KSF was brought up by others favorably comparing it to HHN, while at the same time bemoaning the lack of realism and variety of scares in HHN. In my review of KSF I made a mental point to not try to compare it to HHN Hollywood or Orlando since they aren't the same event. The only time I've compared the two events in any way is in response to somebody else comparing the two. Which has been mostly in threads about HHN. And come on, even you said that the cast was off their game, either by poor direction of them just not knowing what to do.

The Haunted Hayride was very different from anything at HHN (or KSF for that matter), and I had a total blast there. The sets were great and the actors were on fire opening night.

Edited by ferox

The event does have flaws, but come on, but let's not pretend that KSF is real competition with quality. I got better scares from my 5th time going through Insidious than I did the entire time I was at KSF. You want to complain about realism of special effects and then praise KSF?

I mean....3:55. Come on now. If spending that much time on a forum discussing HHN ruins your enjoyment of it that much, maybe that's the problem.

that is actualy very good for knotts maze as far everyone staying in character telling a story and set design......I just dont get where the scary came in.

But anyways lets not compare (knotts or Orlando) guys if you wanna talk about knotts take it to the knotts thread...

so how about that HHN?