HHN Hollywood 2013 Event Discussion

They have got to fix the bride that was just horrible looks like they just powdered her face and added a wig NOTHING compared to the face off one.

If they were gonna ask Face Off for character designs they should have made sure they could actually stay true to what they did on face off

• Like 1

Event discussion, woo!!!!
Time for the usual "walk through the park" with DTH. Just a recap of what we got and my general feelings toward everything. You ready? Stretch a bit, grab some snacks, and lace up your shoes. Here we go!
THE PURGE: FEAR THE NIGHT (Entrance and Upper Lot NY Street)
I think this is a pretty good scarezone idea, however it kinda loses its impact unless you'll see the opening scaramony which... only a handful of people will. The "story" of it would've been better suited for the Terror Tram, but let's not focus too much on what it "could've been." We got a bunch of guys in masks with creepy smiling faces and they're all armed with chainsaws. Generally, what we've had before has been admittedly a bit more scary. Then again, armed with saws, people will shrill nonetheless. With the fire canons booming as the NY Street staple that began in 09 for Welcome to Hell, this has always been a high energy scarezone that kinda loses its luster toward the end of the night and everyone has already made their way into the park. This will be even more evident with the loss of the Shrek venue. Before, as you would exit that venue, you'd end up right back at the front of the park and this would be a wise time to hit the HOH venue. Now, more than likely, you'll only cross it's path as you're heading in and heading out, as before, it'd be a three timer. Does it make much of a difference? Probably not. Hopefully they repeat the Purge announcements so people are reminded of what the zone is. And hopefully there'll be no large banners that say "buy it now on DVD!"
UNIVERSAL MONSTERS REMIX: RESURRECTION (House of Horrors)
This is stupid, please get it out of my life. Thank you.
Okay, but seriously, I hated it last year and in no way am looking forward to it this year. Can they improve upon on it? I sure hope so. I am not in anyway counting on it though.
CURSE OF CHUCKY (London Street)
Just to continue that last thought, hopefully no "buy now on DVD!" banners. I love Chucky and think its great every time he finds his way into the HHN loop, but this seems like it could be a bit of a miss fire. Hopefully they really play up the Chucky elements instead of just using the London scarezone to throw in some toys, a few Chucky scareactors, and some fog. What we really need here are those toy blocks that used to be in Whoville for the TT, the Chucky curse-chant over the speakers, some broken open "Good Guy" doll boxes laid about, and small "Good Guy" dolls EVERYWHERE. I would love the idea that Chucky is creating an army of more dolls and those are the ones to attack. But if this turns out just to be Toyz with Chucky thrown in, then I say, what's the point? Obviously you can get more creative with that, but I really want the theme to be sold here and for the Chucky angle to be worth it -- whether it's for better or worse.
EL CUCUY: THE BOOGEYMAN (Parisian Courtyard)
I'm really looking forward to this. Ofcourse with speculation going from Guillermo Del Toro down to Danny Trejo, it feels like a bit of a downgrade, but we can only blame ourselves for that. However, what we have sounds like it'll be very original and interesting. The possibilities of scares here are limitless, but FROM WHAT WE'VE SEEN SO FAR of the artwork, it looks like it's Freddy in disguise. I really hope that's only a very small portion of what's to come and El Cucuy's manifestations are in much more horrifying ways, but if they stuck with "let's basically just make him Mexican Freddy Krueger" then I'm going to be fairly pissed. Even if the maze is good, to take such an epic idea and downgrade it to that would be an insult to the legend and makes all of its potential go out the window. Here's to hoping we get some truly innovative and insane scares, instead of a maze we walk out of and shrug, "I guess that was good."
CIRQUE DE KLOWNZ (French Street)
I have mixed feelings about this. Clowns aren't scary to me, in any fashion, so giving them the spookiest zone feels like a bad decision. This and Scarecrowz should've swapped, and that's going to be my humble opinion until I see how they've been pulled off in their respective areas. I'm hoping these clowns can find their dark side and won't be over the top. I'm also intrigued by what the soundtrack will be and if they'll have chainsaws. This is very different for Klownz and I'm really glad they're out of the way and in a spot I'll only have to go through once.
TERROR TRAM: INVADED BY THE WALKING DEAD
What's there to say? I just hope they don't eff up. Another commercial will really peeve me to no end since that was the biggest complaint among us last year. Just give us a little story that continues what we saw before and I think set-up and storywise, it'll be excellent. Truly, that's half the journey. And if I can at all be honest, I've never found the Terror Tram to be scary. It's always been one of the attractions that have kinda just been fun in the sake of Halloween. I love it and don't even mind the location, but getting scares on the route has always been a problem for me. I'm sure many can disagree, but in comparison to the mazes, the TT is a cake-walk. There isn't much Terror in the Terror Tram. I really wish they'd find a way to change that and make things more unexpected, dark, and scary. The one time I was REALLY genuinely terrified is the first year we had to go up the hill in 08 and the bushman scared me. That dark, nearly silent scene got me. Ofcourse, not every scene can be dark and silent, because then the whole thing would be boring, but I just hope they can find a way to tell the story in a way that will really impact the scares. As of now, it's like a giant outdoor Knotts maze with roaming scareactors. I like that element as it gives some freedom, but some set scares would be welcome too. I never really realized that's what the TT needed until now. Some more soundtrack synchronization, trigger scares, mis-direction -- etc.. Just treat it like a usual HHN maze just outside... but also keep the roaming Knotts monsters. That would make the Terror Tram more scary.
SCARECROWZ (lower lot)
Again, I would've loved this on French street. We all know the problems with the lower lot -- there's no atmosphere anymore. 07 and 08 were the very last times. However, now with the backlot open, is it possible to add more to the lower lot? It definitely should help crowding problems, which should open some room up for some basic set design. More fog, more moody lighting, creepy soundtrack. It all adds up. I think with some fake crops and hung up scarecrows off to the side, some jack-o-lanterns, and including some set design down the STARWAY will really put us in the mood. The Starway feels under utilized -- obviously we can't put scareactors up there, but there should definitely be some more design. There's a lot of things they could do. Although I doubt they will, I think focusing on the lower lot for now will be plenty enough.
EVIL DEAD: BOOK OF THE DEAD (Mummy Venue)
I wonder if Evil Dead will get the logo projection on the side of the JP ride? This is my most anticipated right here, and from the looks of it, the majority of everyone else's. I really can't say much other than PLEASE blow us the hell away! Scary, insane, intense, dark, gritty, bloody -- this maze has so much potential.
INSIDIOUS: INTO THE FURTHER (JP Venue)
This is the one I can't wait to see how it's pulled off. There's so many elements at play that will make it a very unique HHN maze. With paranormal and physical supernatural elements, Insidious can play out either way -- shockingly bad, or jaw droppingly good. I can't wait to hear "Tip tooooe through the tulipppssss with meeeeeeee." I won't even bother with the prize this year.
THE WALKING DEAD: DEAD ON ARRIVAL (Backlot NY Street)
You had me at backlot. Then things got even better when there would be food down there! A total zombie apocalypse in a big, metropolitan setting is going to be EPIC. I honestly don't think there's anyway this could fail. Go ahead and just give this the award "scarezone of the year" already.
BLACK SABBATH: 13 3D (Soundstrage 747)
I wasn't on board with this a long time ago and the closer we get, the further I want to jump off the plane to be completely off board. The artwork is very bright, and reminds me of La Llorona having Alice Cooper's baby. However, this is a soundstage. If it weren't for that aspect, I think I'd be kinda walking into this one like it were a chore.
THE WALKING DEAD: NO SAFE HAVEN (NY Street Backdrop)
This is actually a little funny, location wise. The metropolitan area would've been a good Woodbury. The Terror Tram area would've been a decent enough woods (with the hill, and all). Coming from, I'm guessing downtown Atlanta, and going into a supposedly secluded prison is a little... off. But from the woods, then into the prison, would make much more sense. I'm going to try and not think about this too much. But anyway! Last year's TWD blew me away -- very intense, very scary, and very awesome ode to the series. I expect this year to be no different, and if it plays its cards right, could walk away with "maze of the year" again. The prison environment is more fitting, there's plenty of iconic moments to be picked from, and I think overall more story could be told this year instead of jumping all over the place like last year's maze. It wasn't necessarily a bad thing or through me out of the maze, but I just like it when I can truly immerse myself into the setting and that happens a lot easier in "one setting" mazes. Hopefully the excursions to Woodbury into the maze aren't too jolting.
And that wraps it up for this year! Very amazing line up and I think we have what could very well be the best year ever on our hands! All the new, fresh, and exciting things coming our way should make this a very different year. 07 - 12 were great, but it was the same park layout with some added mazes thrown in. This year we're going deep into the backlot -- I just hope it doesn't crowd up and the lines to get on the trams aren't too long like I imagined.
SOME PREDICTIONS:
Maze of the Year: Evil Dead
Most Innovative: Insidious
Best Sets: El Cucuy
The Flop: UMR 2
  • Like 1

Event discussion, woo!!!!
Time for the usual "walk through the park" with DTH. Just a recap of what we got and my general feelings toward everything. You ready? Stretch a bit, grab some snacks, and lace up your shoes. Here we go!

k cool.

Just kidding. Well said DTH.

Hey c'mon. They aren't that bad. At least they don't rip off their album covers from Overkill or use protools for their music. I'm looking at you Avenged Sevenfold.

I'm asking the same thing. Anyone have a picture that I can see?

EDIT: I found the picture. Yikes. That is awful. Here's the article that showed the make-up event: http://insideuniversal.net/2013/08/halloween-horror-nights-preview-event-make-up-demonstrations/

Inside the magic's twitter has pictures from the make up preview...not sure how I feel about ED and the bride of frankenstien

I think Guns and Roses' music is alright but what makes them unbarable is Axel's just plain dooshiness.

Evil Dead looks ok they obviousily did'nt finish them, because they are missing contacts which is key to a deadites' look also take in mind that this is a demo and not the end product....that being what is up with the bride? and please tell me thats not her costume.

Also this craked me up

9611173964_ee71d6ceff_c.jpg

"Hai guuiiiss watz goin onz?"

• Like 1

This event is looking very good so far and the make-up displays from the press event is amazing <3

I think Guns and Roses' music is alright but what makes them unbarable is Axel's just plain dooshiness.

This. While Appetite, Illusions I and II and G'N'R Lies are all great rock albums, Axl is one of the biggest douchebags in rock and as much as I would love to see a reunion tour happen, I cannot fault Slash, Izzy and Duff for not wanting to even entertain the notion of one....

• Like 1

@grind (I'm too lazy to quote) I sure hope so. The eyes were really a key part of the Deadites. Without them they just look like regular people which is what Mia in that picture looks like. TWD can get away with that because of how dramatic the make up is ( also the sunken in face prosthetic kind of hides the eyes) but with ED you just can't do that.

Edited by Ridesandstuff

I want to record every maze, terror tram, scare zone, ride, everything but I feel like while doing this I won't have as much fun at the event. I won't have that much focus into the attractions but recording. I wish I had a camera man Lmfao. If iI could, i would get VIP so I could have unlimited FOL but I ain't rich lol I m just getting FOL.