HHN Hollywood 2013 Event Discussion

Ferox, we get it. You didn't like Knott's. But It IS real competition. Its not the SAME product as HHN, but its in the same category. As I like to say, one s Del Taco, the other is Taco Bell. Some people prefer one style to the other. You just don't like KSFs style. A lot of people do, however, and its something that HHN has to take into consideration.

AMEN. I like both events both have their pros and cons HHN does some stuff better than KSF and vice versa. BUT Knotts is in its 41st run.....its THEE biggest halloween event in the country, it is THEE granddaddy of them all, It is THEE pioneer, if Knotts didnt have success in this, other parks wouldnt be inspired to take it on.

Metallica pioneered thrash metal, it doesn't make St. Anger a decent album. KSF may be the granddaddy, and it's pretty clear since the event is pretty feeble this year. If you want a performer driven event, don't hire performers who are aggressively bad at scaring. If their "style" is hiring lazy teenagers to stand in the middle of a room and kinda lunge once in a while, yes I don't like their style. If their style is painted plywood walls, yes I don't like their style. If having on average three rooms with nobody in the scene per maze is their style, yes I don't like their style. I like to be scared, not slightly amusing.

Also, if any KSF apologists wants to give me a reason why my wife had to scream "Stop fucking touching me!" in the mazes, I'd love to hear it. I don't mean that she was bumped into, I mean that their profoundly lazy cast would purposefully make contact to make up for the fact that they simply can't scare. If people on this forum have an issue with KSF's faults being brought up, they shouldn't bring KSF up in a HHN thread by saying KSF has better scare tactics than HHN or has somehow surpassed them in quality.

Edited by ferox
  • Like 1

But on a different note, I saw a guy pass out at Universal Plaza. Next to Danny Trejo's booming terrifying voice, the flame cannons, and PURGE CHAINSAWS.

I can't imagine how much it would suck to realize that you just slept through HHN. I also can't imagine falling asleep with that much stuff going on around me.

• Like 1

So I'm honestly wondering what if anything will be repeated next year. If Insidious 3 gets rushed into production I suppose maybe that's possible. Or if we get three straight years of The Walking Dead which would be tragic. Since El Cucuy was hardly as well received as La Llorona was it just has me curious.

Im thinking that they would do the backlot experience and call it Racoon City for our version of Resident Evil (new movie will be released next year). I am also thinking that Murdy would want to bring over American Werewolf in London (i think the movie theatre room in El Cucuy was used to reuse for AWIL).

I dont think the walking dead will repeat as a maze

Im hoping for an Excorcist maze...i think it can be done.

Im also hoping for Candyman and The Shining....both of which is unlikely

Im more worried about House of Horrors overlay.....can they get away with repeating Remix for a 2nd time?

Im thinking that they would do the backlot experience and call it Racoon City for our version of Resident Evil (new movie will be released next year). I am also thinking that Murdy would want to bring over American Werewolf in London (i think the movie theatre room in El Cucuy was used to reuse for AWIL).

I dont think the walking dead will repeat as a maze

Im hoping for an Excorcist maze...i think it can be done.

Im also hoping for Candyman and The Shining....both of which is unlikely

Im more worried about House of Horrors overlay.....can they get away with repeating Remix for a 2nd time?

An Exorcist maze can be done...but it won't be done my theory is WB is holding out on anything they own like TrT.

I have a fear WD will be back, my guess though is that either Insidious will be repeated or The Conjuring will take it's place...whatever it is Blumhouse will have there hand in next year.

I can see all the mazes we have this year be repeated at some point.

Evil Dead could get a maze from the original 3 films, like how TCM got a maze in 2007/2008 and then 2012 based on the original

Walking Dead could come back with scenes from season 4 next year or if the show keeps going throughout the years, well get it again.

I can't see Black Sabbath coming back, I actually see Alice Cooper returning next year.

Only if Insidious 3 comes out, well get a repeat on that.

I highly doubt El Cucuy will be repeated.

UMR 3.0 could return but I doubt it as well.

And ill be kind of wack if we get Resident Evil, Cabin In The Woods & AWIL next year right after Orlando had it this year. AWIL better be similar or even better than Orlando's version since Murdy already had the maze designed for years now.

Edited by StraightEdge
  • Like 1

Since Universal now owns Legendary pictures, I can see Trick R Treat happening next year. Pretty sure we'll see Cucuy again but amped up (animatronics), and while I don't see Insidious coming back, I think Conjuring will be featured since John and Jason Blum/James Wan have worked together.

Conjuring could be just as scary if not scarier than Exorcist (as a maze, not stating which movie is scarier) because there are more environments and characters. Plus, Conjuring 2 is already in the works.

We also really need to have AWIL and CITW next year! Both looked incredible, so I hope we at least see one of those properties next year. And in regards to Resident Evil, I don't really care if we see it or not, but I rather have that than Walking Dead be back for another year (love the show, just don't want a repeated theme 3 times in a row)

Edited by shark23
  • Like 1

Murdy recently said that he's tried to get The Shining in the past but hasn't been able to. Those rights are locked tight.

I'm alright with that. The Shining is an absolute masterpiece, but it could lose a lot of what made it so special in a maze. When you break down what can be translated into a maze, even a very high quality HHN maze, there's not much there. We're probably missing out on a bunch of guys that kinda look like Jack swinging an axe. It would be a good maze, but it would miss so much of what made The Shining...you know...The Shining.

• Like 1

Murdy recently said that he's tried to get The Shining in the past but hasn't been able to. Those rights are locked tight.

I'm alright with that. The Shining is an absolute masterpiece, but it could lose a lot of what made it so special in a maze. When you break down what can be translated into a maze, even a very high quality HHN maze, there's not much there. We're probably missing out on a bunch of guys that kinda look like Jack swinging an axe. It would be a good maze, but it would miss so much of what made The Shining...you know...The Shining.

it cuz Stephen King has a thing with his stuff being used in Haunts...The only reason Knotts got away with that random Carrie Room in Virus Z in my opion was because they used it in only one room and it possible King disowned the remake.

• Like 1

He used to despite the The Shining since he felt it was too materialistic and lacked the supernatural depth to his novel. Now his hatred is less furious, but it's there. There's no way he would sign of on a Shining maze, and I see where he's coming from.

I don't care what we get next year. As long as Murdy is not still the creative head of HHN, then I don't care what we get. He has established that as long as he is in charge, the event is NOT going to change. We need new blood. And also, I would not mind one bit if we got one or two out of those three properties.

I agree...The Shining wouldnt transfer well to a maze.

I don't care what we get next year. As long as Murdy is not still the creative head of HHN, then I don't care what we get. He has established that as long as he is in charge, the event is NOT going to change. We need new blood. And also, I would not mind one bit if we got one or two out of those three properties.

I take it you dont care for Mr. Murdy? lol

I cant see CITW but i do see AWIL.......I REALLY see Resident Evil happening next year due to the brand itself being HUGE and a new movie coming out next year.

I dont believe that John Murdy has absolute FULL control over the event. There has to be people that have a bigger say in what goes on. Do you really think John Murdy wants to do the Terror Tram every year? Bill and Ted every year? Do you think he would want to gut out the house of horrors and use it as an open canvas for HHN? But lets go back to Bill and Ted....i never hear him say anything about it, i cant recall him tweeting anything about the show at all.......its like a stepchild he doesnt want. If it was his choice what shows would he want to put on?

I wonder how much of a budget he gets?. I dont agree with spending a lot of money on these big elaborate facades (walking dead this year) when the money can be spent on inside the maze...i know it may not be alot of money but still i would rather it be spent on INSIDE mazes.

I could be totally wrong though, time will tell.

I take it you dont care for Mr. Murdy? lol

I cant see CITW but i do see AWIL.......I REALLY see Resident Evil happening next year due to the brand itself being HUGE and a new movie coming out next year.

I dont believe that John Murdy has absolute FULL control over the event. There has to be people that have a bigger say in what goes on. Do you really think John Murdy wants to do the Terror Tram every year? Bill and Ted every year? Do you think he would want to gut out the house of horrors and use it as an open canvas for HHN? But lets go back to Bill and Ted....i never hear him say anything about it, i cant recall him tweeting anything about the show at all.......its like a stepchild he doesnt want. If it was his choice what shows would he want to put on?

I wonder how much of a budget he gets?. I dont agree with spending a lot of money on these big elaborate facades (walking dead this year) when the money can be spent on inside the maze...i know it may not be alot of money but still i would rather it be spent on INSIDE mazes.

I could be totally wrong though, time will tell.

Actually, I don't know if we will get RE. I might be mistaken, but I think I heard Murdy say that Silent Hill wasn't rated very high on the surveys (Correct me if I'm wrong). IF that's the case, then I think he might use that as an excuse to not do it. I just feel like he's not into doing video game based mazes. But we'll see.

I think he has a LOT more control over the event than you might think. I think he might have been told how much the budget was and to do a hispanic-based maze and that's it. I heard that Murdy HATES the shows, especially Bill and Ted, which would explain why we didn't get any despite all of the crowd control rumors. Like you mentioned with him not addressing B & T, that might give some credibility to that rumor. I wouldn't be surprised if Murdy used the weak Bill and Ted as an excuse to get rid of it. "Bill and Ted wasn't rated very highly in the surveys so we got rid of it". That's what happened to all of the other shows, except Chucky.

And I agree about the budget. I'd rather have an AWESOME house with a weak facade as opposed to the opposite (Black Sabbath, I'm pointing at you. "OOOOOHHHHHH NOOOOOOOO!!!!")

I think you hit the nail right on the head. Think about all of the celebrities he got to meet including his idol. Alice Cooper, Rob Zombie, Marilin Manson, OZZY OSBOURNE, Christopher Loyd, the Walking Dead cast, James Wan, Jason Blum, Danny Trijo, Eli Roth....just to name a few. All the more tol have some great stories to tell his drinking buddies at the bar.

Well here are my two cents...

It might not all completely be up to Murdy. Look at everything this year. Ads everywhere even the originals have something to advertise. If the event was all up to Murdy don't you think we would see more classic horror since that's his passion.

I personally just think he's not as into it as he used to be.

If you look at previous behind the scenes or interviews, he's so happy to explain and re-explain the same topic to different people. Now it seems like he has a script when it comes to saying what's going on this year.

Edited by Kurseddragon
  • Like 1

I hate to burst you're guy's bubble but Bill and Ted is actualy doing pretty well with the GP right now.

I was gonna wait till after I went to say this but I just wanna address this because to be honest most of us seem EXTREAMLY jaded since the event has started, Im not gonna point fingers since I'm not trying to start anything I just wanna point out some things that is kinda get old now......in the words of the Joker protrayed by Heath Ledger....."and here...we... GO!"

Really guy? you don't think Bill and Ted was on par this year they should fire Murdy? Look Murdy does a lot for the Fans HHN itself does a lot for the fans more so than knott's does where is you gotta admit knott's just looks for new ways to take our buck with littler effort to make it worth said buck. You want an exmaple? EVIL DEAD! Murdy had suck up his pride to land that after last year's fiasco with Sony, and does anyone else find it funny that the maze where the property is owned by sony which normaly teams up with Knotts had the most static manicans and animatronics that are normaly a big trait of Knotts? Murdy was obviousily pist at what Sony did behind his back and ultimatly he won, cuz of all the problems the Log Ride Evil Dead maze had, it kinda broke Knott's deal with Sony and yet we bitched and moaned because we wanted Evil Dead then we get it and we sh*t all over it cuz there isn't a real girl being elevated getting the Hentai treatment. I get it I don't like static figures either but did that ruin the WHOLE maze? To be honest this year seems to be a really good year nothing compaired to last year or 09 but it's holding its own and changed things up a lot to be honest it just seems cuz a lot of the mazes this year came out of left feild rather than our desires that we are subconsciously damned this year from the gate which do be honest we did. We do it every year but usualy something on our wish list is there to soften the blow which sould of been Evil Dead but since we don't like static figures it did no such thing so we must hang Murdy!

Look as far as B&T it was not THAT bad this year guys come on I'll admit from the video it seems like the worst since Hollywood started writing it's own show in '10 but by far this isnt the worst show we ever had, and come on if you truely don't like Bill & Ted...Don't watch it, just cuz the take out the show does not mean they are gonna put a maze in there. if one bad year dictated what gets canned then HHN should of got the boot after 2010. Noiw Murdy not addressing Bill and Ted has more to do with him saying Year after Year that he has no say in it all he does is say "ok guys start planing Bill and Ted", after that its all up to the B&T crew to write produce and put the show togather. The only real reason I see him hating it is because of what happened to RHPS Tribute. Other then that no other show was really done in by surveys, SlaughterWorld was too loud for night time opperations and Chucky well we all know how that went -__-.

I think I'm gonna do an overveiw of this year when I do my reveiw but for now rant is over lol.

Evil Dead's dummies did ruin Evil Dead. I really can't get over it. It is by far the fakest looking maze HHN has ever done. Its Knotts level nonsense and HHN has always been better than that. The worst part about is there's no scares in those rooms, so it can't even be justified as a distraction (at least from the time I went through, I hope new scares will be added when I go again next week).

And the scene with the dummies in Insidious ruins that room. But luckily that room has a scare and a scareactor with a shitload of energy to throw his scares across a table. The further dummies are fine. That part makes sense.

Edited by DTH316
  • Like 1