Halloween Horror Nights 23 Speculation

JDW

Ahh, I see what you did der.

And to everyone saying "Old Sparky," are you referring to the electric chair from Hellgate Prison (2004), because that was Old Smokey...or is this some other electric chair or reference I don't know about.

For many Floridians, especially those of us who can remember it being used, "Old Sparky" is the nickname we are use to for the electric chair. (I remember Bundy's execution)

Since we do not know where this particular chair will reside, Old Sparky seems to be a perfectly fine nickname for now.

Now, if this is Hellgate, then we will have to adjust our terminology.

But, if this is a new prison, depending on its geographical location, Old Sparky may be an appropriate nickname.

Several states referred to their chairs as Old Sparky. Like Connecticut, Arkansas, Texas, Georgia, Ohio....

• Like 2

Not sure if it has been brought up but do you think we will get an Icon this year and if so do you think it will be some kind of Escaped Prisoner or even The Warden? This would be nice if they did that and fit the Prison house as the main Icon house

Not sure if it has been brought up but do you think we will get an Icon this year and if so do you think it will be some kind of Escaped Prisoner or even The Warden? This would be nice if they did that and fit the Prison house as the main Icon house

The way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised to see La Llorona as an "icon."

I recently read up on La Llorona and actually look forward to see her in a house even tho Hollywood has already done it "twice" But I would Hate to see her as a Icon... I could easily see them do a Fat Scary looking crazy Warden Running a messed up prison as the main Icon... and I HOPE they bring back the SZ's but if they didn't they could turn the park into a Prison.... Again I hope we get our SZ's like we have speculated

But, if this is a new prison, depending on its geographical location, Old Sparky may be an appropriate nickname.

Several states referred to their chairs as Old Sparky. Like... Ohio.

Ohio. Could we possibly see this house take place in Carey, Ohio? And i think if LT is directly involved in a house like The Wyandot Estate in 2010, I think it will be this one.

Just thought I'd chime in with an observation, but looking at the speculated list right now it seems that at least 4 of the houses have quite a bit of thematic overlap.

1) If we get TWD, it would hopefully include the prison from season 3. However, we also seem to be getting an original prison-themed house.

2) Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't CiTW and ED share the major element of...a cabin...plus an ancient race of evil beings that control an army of undead? I realize there are some major differences between the two in the story and style department, but I'm concerned that if they adapt both of these to houses they might feel a tad too samey.

I really want to avoid preconceptions about the event this year and just focus on enjoying it, but right now this concerns me even more than the (expected) high IP to original ratio.

• Like 1

Just thought I'd chime in with an observation, but looking at the speculated list right now it seems that at least 4 of the houses have quite a bit of thematic overlap.

1) If we get TWD, it would hopefully include the prison from season 3. However, we also seem to be getting an original prison-themed house.

2) Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't CiTW and ED share the major element of...a cabin...plus an ancient race of evil beings that control an army of undead? I realize there are some major differences between the two in the story and style department, but I'm concerned that if they adapt both of these to houses they might feel a tad too samey.

I really want to avoid preconceptions about the event this year and just focus on enjoying it, but right now this concerns me even more than the (expected) high IP to original ratio.

For TWD I think they will do a lot of areas from season 3 and not Focus heavily on the Prison "they could even do the area Morgan was setting traps for the walkers" and Cabin In The Woods cabin is identical to Evil Dead.. But it had that entire Underground Area.. Im thinking they will do the entire house in that Area, It would be awesome to have the two Technicians from the movie on a projector talking about the underground facility "about how us as guests are the new security detail" I also remember someone saying this could also be the comedic type house this year...

If it is the list, its the list.. We cant do anything about it.. Am I disappointed? Yes and no

Yes cause Im old skool HHN and would love to see the stuff the minds can come out with on there on, but sadly $$ sales and this will break in the crowds.

HHN is one giant commercial these days, but A&D still likes the fans and they do care about us.. Hell the site may suck but LT/HU was created to bring us a new form of interactive outside the main site and it worked.

I don't really know what to think about it, But as long as they don't have any last minute changes of plan for the houses I think we will be okay. The problem is if they end up canceling houses like they did last year.

The IPs this year sound interesting. I mean, everyone has been wanting an Evil Dead house for the longest. I cannot say I dislike any of the IPs mentioned (Except for Walking Dead, I really couldn't care less for that one)

it would kind of suck if you from one house to the next and it feels like you are still in the same house lol :lol:

I think it's too early to be "sure" of anything. My first impulse was to say, "Well, shit, if this really is the deal, then my thoughts of flying down THREE times for this year is scrapped." We flew down twice last year, and it was awesome to get to experience everything for two whole weekends. I know, I know, you all get it every weekend, but this was a big deal for us... so much so, that we were already figuring the logistics of the trifecta. So, I'll just sit back and watch you all speculate because I SUCK at it, and then we'll see what actually sticks. I'll make the decision on travel much, much later.

Rocky Horror would be great if they didn't tame it down to a cheesy G rating. I mean, seriously, WTF - this isn't Disney which is why I love it so much.

Sorry to say you better scrap that triple travel plan idea then because barring any last second changes like last year that is the correct list lol. I'm Not happy about its IP heavy lineup, I'm kinda disappointed in its lack of originality and I'm starting to wonder if marketing is running out of ideas but that's the list. IP's worked for UNI last year so they've obviously decided to go back to the well so to speak. I really wish A&D had more control over the houses we got because we'd see a much better house list. Sorry guys

• Like 1

I find it hard to believe we have a complete "list" of all the houses. I mean, I expect IPs, but to have a majority of them as IPs? Really? What about the 100 year anniversary of Universal Monsters?? What about their original houses ala Gothic and Dead End? Those are my FAVORITES. I'm not complaining about the IP houses - I grew up with AWIL, and it fascinated me, so I'd LOVE that; I also loved Cabin and Evil Dead (but those have so many similarities.. it's like: PICK ONE). I don't know.. I'm not buying it. Maybe I'll eat these words later, but I simply cannot and will not believe they would not address the 100 year anniversary.

well they did the Universal Monsters house last year, so I don't see why they would repeat that.

Also, we still don't know about the scarezones or "Street Experiences" maybe we will get some kind of Universal Monsters street experience.

(They might also do lagoon shows like last year)

was Rocky really tamed ? How so? They made the show shorter (they had to) but I don't see how the show was tamed.

A problem with the 100 years of monsters thing is that the first movie was Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Which as far as I know has never been used in any HHN event.

"Hey everybody, we're celebrating the anniversary of our first horror movie! We haven't cared about it up until this point, but we're going to expect you to care about it now! But hey, here are seven characters from movies released 10-30 years after that movie we're celebrating!"

A problem with the 100 years of monsters thing is that the first movie was Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Which as far as I know has never been used in any HHN event.

"Hey everybody, we're celebrating the anniversary of our first horror movie! We haven't cared about it up until this point, but we're going to expect you to care about it now! But hey, here are seven characters from movies released 10-30 years after that movie we're celebrating!"

If they do 100 years of Universal horror, then it more likely will be about the icons of the past 100 years than specific milestones. While I would love anything that celebrates the early years, if they did it, I don't think they'd get that technical about giving a fair, even spread. I could see a scare zone with some of the more famous classic monsters and their contemporaries, or even just a lagoon show that has clips (of which the few silent classics could be a part). The 100 years thing is more a marketing tool for the brand, and a really good one at that. As a marketer, I'll personally be fairly disappointed if they don't go that angle at least a little bit. Nothing like 100 years of famous Silver Screams to differentiate yourself from your competition!

On a different topic, assuming this house list is indeed correct, I went back and watch a behind the scenes tour of HHNH's La Llorona house from last year. I know that even if we share a house, often it's done mostly, if not entirely, differently. But as a fan of urban legends and folklore, if we get anything like this house, I'll be very happy.

• Like 2

I think the list of houses this year do have some potential. Especially with CiTW. I do enjoy originals but I'm willing to give this list of houses a chance.

on another note I still think the only reason why the crowds at last year's HHN what was so big was because of The Walking Dead alone. the other three interllectual properties

would not have been able to draw that kind of a crowd.

Edited by mastermind22

If they do 100 years of Universal horror, then it more likely will be about the icons of the past 100 years than specific milestones. While I would love anything that celebrates the early years, if they did it, I don't think they'd get that technical about giving a fair, even spread. I could see a scare zone with some of the more famous classic monsters and their contemporaries, or even just a lagoon show that has clips (of which the few silent classics could be a part). The 100 years thing is more a marketing tool for the brand, and a really good one at that. As a marketer, I'll personally be fairly disappointed if they don't go that angle at least a little bit. Nothing like 100 years of famous Silver Screams to differentiate yourself from your competition!

On a different topic, assuming this house list is indeed correct, I went back and watch a behind the scenes tour of HHNH's La Llorona house from last year. I know that even if we share a house, often it's done mostly, if not entirely, differently. But as a fan of urban legends and folklore, if we get anything like this house, I'll be very happy.

I just really hope we get some of those puppets used here. I really want to see a giant Llorona eating the kid lol.

which means the crowds this year will be just as bad....

Hopefully we will get 8 houses. Plus hopefully Transformers will be open during HHN so that might help.

Maybe I need to re watch it... and I know I'm in the extreme minority with this opinion BUT...

I thought CitW was a pretty blah film... the fact it had a TON of different monsters in it was pretty cool. But I thought the story line and ending were very subpar. I'll watch it again though.

But a house with a bunch of crazy ass monsters would be pretty cool!!!!

• Like 1

Maybe I need to re watch it... and I know I'm in the extreme minority with this opinion BUT...

I thought CitW was a pretty blah film... the fact it had a TON of different monsters in it was pretty cool. But I thought the story line and ending were very subpar. I'll watch it again though.

But a house with a bunch of crazy ass monsters would be pretty cool!!!!

Completely agree. Did not get the hype at all. Now a house could be pretty cool though. Even as a overarching theme to tie it all together.

Think about the LT being a part of the association that ran the facility. In that construct, every house could represent a different monster. There is a super easy unifying theme.

• Like 1

I mean don't get me wrong it was a fun movie.

Oh Yeah **** Spoiler ****

But who in there right mind would design a high tech facility to purge all the lethal creatures into the the main work area? and... even if that was for some reason necessary... why wouldn't you actually guard the button? Heck why a button at all? Some kind of double fail key system or retinal scan... Not a big red shiny button you can accidentally press?

Hopefully we will get 8 houses. Plus hopefully Transformers will be open during HHN so that might help.

Unless they immediately decide to tear down the sprung tents in the middle of construction to build the Sesame Street ride in Singapore, I think we are going to get 8 houses. I'm pretty sure we're safe.

As for Transformers helping the crowds, we thought they would help the crowds at our event, but they were even worse. Maybe since you'll be going back to 8 houses and have that, it might help a bit, but I doubt it will do much.

Also, in regards to the 8th cryptic clue, flashback....

There is a movie starring Kiefer Sutherland and Dennis Hopper entitled "Flashback." The movie, I don't believe is relevant, the plot line however might be. The plot features a man on the run from the law and also has a corrupt sheriff as part of the story. This could have something to do with our prison house and/or a possible theme.