HHN 22 Speculation

The idea of how it could have happened is simple. Universal reached out whichever owners of the Silent Hill rights they're using (Video Game, Movie or both). They also reached out the American Werewolf. Negotiations likely occured at the same time. Negotiation process took longer for Silent Hill than for American Werewolf. They get the approval for Werewolf and design. A couple of months later, they get the approval for Silent Hill and begin the design. Because of the popularity of the franchise, they are willing to spend time negotiating for this year's event which explains the delay. Separate issue pops up, and negates American Werewolf. Separate issue pops up and elimiates the SS44 house (whatever it was). A simple concept is developed likely using the layout of American Werewolf, not replace American Werewolf but SS 44 (that way they don't have to rebuild that location from nothing). They start from scratch and a new house is developed for a new location and a new IP (Silent Hill) to "replace" American Werewolf.

It's really not that difficult.

But they thought they owned American Werewolf free and clear, being it's a Universal property, at least based on Dr. Jimmy's hypothetical. I can't believe they'd spend the time and money to negotiate with Silent Hill with no intent to actually use the IP. That's money down the tubes, and sets a bad precedent in future years if they want to negotiate with that same company in the future. In other words, if there is a Silent Hill house, that must have been the plan all along; if it is not, I don't think an official Silent Hill house is happening. Either way. given the resurgence of the Transformers rumor around the web, I am starting to believe Universal has been deliberately putting out false info this year, for whatever reasons.

But they thought they owned American Werewolf free and clear, being it's a Universal property, at least based on Dr. Jimmy's hypothetical. I can't believe they'd spend the time and money to negotiate with Silent Hill with no intent to actually use the IP. That's money down the tubes, and sets a bad precedent in future years if they want to negotiate with that same company in the future. In other words, if there is a Silent Hill house, that must have been the plan all along; if it is not, I don't think an official Silent Hill house is happening. Either way. given the resurgence of the Transformers rumor around the web, I am starting to believe Universal has been deliberately putting out false info this year, for whatever reasons.

I'm sorry but in my hypothetical I stated that the rights for American Werewolf are not actually free and clear. Landis owns the rights and is currently involved in a deal with the Weinsteins.

{EDIT} Oh wait, you said "they thought".... nevermind.

Off the topic of SZs for a moment, I'm really beginning to question the rumored Silent Hill house. IP houses have to be arranged months in advance--it's the nature of contract law. Not saying the house agreements are as long as the Uni/Marvel contract, but I'm sure they are more than a handshake. That's how The Thing was announced so early last year, and why TWD was rumored so early this year.

If I understand the timeline, the original plan was an American Werewolf in London house and a Mayan house in SS 44. Those were scrapped, but then within days we had a rumor of a Silent Hill house. I just can't believe Uni reached out to the parent company and signed a deal like this in less than a week. A Silent Hill "inspired" house (cough, "rip off", cough)? Sure. But I'm just not buying creative would go to the trouble of buying rights when they are scrambling to come up with a concept--it would be so much easier to stick with an original concept..

Don't forget who's in charge this year. Hollywood... or rather the collaboartive. Silent Hill is already a big rumor in Hollywood as well.

The Consensus has been that both parks will have the same IP houses... (with AC being the possible exception). It's cheaper for comcast to buy rights for both parks rather than Individual rights for both. In that scenario, the rights could have been bought months ago.

I don't know if this was mentioned yet but Ray Keim, the main guy that is usually in charge of the website wasn't hired this year. He commented on Facebook, "It looks like they won't need my usual services for HHN this year. It's very disappointing and perplexing."

Now I'm officialy worried that this year we won't have our usually weekly updates to build the anticipation.

No doubt Ray Kelm is one awesome A&D guy. His quote leaves me torn in so many ways. Sounds like he's let down but something about the perplexing part makes me think. The team is taking a huge risk and doing things different from what we've ever seen before.

I don't know if this was mentioned yet but Ray Keim, the main guy that is usually in charge of the website wasn't hired this year. He commented on Facebook, "It looks like they won't need my usual services for HHN this year. It's very disappointing and perplexing."

Now I'm officialy worried that this year we won't have our usually weekly updates to build the anticipation.

I think your concerns are quite genuine. The website will likely be similar to the ones we have seen in the past for Hollywood.

Hopefully however, they may find other ways to update us online in the coming weeks....

Dr. Jimmy, I can only hope you are inferring a return of Legendary Truth. I'm still pissed about how it fizzled out last time.

Did they use it last year?

I've been trying to say; temper your expectations. This is a perfect example. All signs are pointing to a change of focus for the entire event. When the hint that clues might still be released is given, but not on the website, immediately thinking LT does nothing but set yourself up for disappointment. Especially when 2008 LT is your frame of reference ("fizzled out last time" gives that away), it will not meet your expectatations. If LT is used, 2010 would likely be the model. And geluck on even getting that.

I've been trying to say; temper your expectations. This is a perfect example. All signs are pointing to a change of focus for the entire event. When the hint that clues might still be released is given, but not on the website, immediately thinking LT does nothing but set yourself up for disappointment. Especially when 2008 LT is your frame of reference ("fizzled out last time" gives that away), it will not meet your expectatations. If LT is used, 2010 would likely be the model. And geluck on even getting that.

I see what you did there.

• Like 2

I'd rather they just skip social media use all together if it's going to be as crap-tastic as last year.

HOS and HHN Hollywood seem to take a very similar approach when it comes to social media use. They interact directly with their fans, answering questions and providing information about the event, without extravagant and fanciful dressings. Even that would be better than last year's efforts. Probably makes more sense from a business standpoint too.

The set for the sound stage Mayan house is going to be recycled from Nickelodeon's Legends of the Hidden Temple.

I'm sure they'll find someone else or use another method. Plus the websites the last few years were a little lame.

The set for the sound stage Mayan house is going to be recycled from Nickelodeon's Legends of the Hidden Temple.

I'm sure they'll find someone else or use another method. Plus the websites the last few years were a little lame.

wait you mean Were going to be recycled? or Are going to be recycled?

I believe Ray had always done the website. And while the last couple of years have not been as great as some of the past years, I think it's been a learning process for everyone.

We didn't see an interactive website until, I think 04. 06 was one of the first years to have a slow build with clues. 07 was the first year with "games". 08, the year I think everyone compares websites to, was the first year with multiple weekly updates.

One also has to remember that 08 was the last year we had a truly indepth back story to an Icon. Also, although 09's website was not as great as 08's, anyone who saw the model that was built of of the theater has to see that they really did put a ton of effort into it.

So if we go by 08 being one of the best years, I think they have done great. Trying to please the fans and give the info to the general public is a balancing act. 4 to 5 years of trying to learn the perfect balance really isn't a very long time. Especially since Ray usually didn't start working on the site until May or June when he would finally receive the info for that year's event.

Edited by mystiquephreeq

I wonder how an American Werewolf in London house would have been like, I guess the beginning would have been like the forest part of the Wolfman house? the movie has a lot of parts of dialogue where not much is happening, the werewolf scenes are small, so I wonder how they would translate that into the house,

Unlike a lot of people on these forums, I don't walk into any HHN with expectations. I can't judge an event until I've been there. Same goes for the social media aspect. My frustration with the last LT go-around was not that it sucked, but that they just stopped updating not even halfway through the event.

I appreciate your concern, but whatever direction they go I'll be excited. Our only social media experience for HHN has been Legendary Truth so far though, so of course that is what is going to come to mind when Dr. Jimmy mentions social media.

I believe Ray had always done the website. And while the last couple of years have not been as great as some of the past years, I think it's been a learning process for everyone.

We didn't see an interactive website until, I think 04. 06 was one of the first years to have a slow build with clues. 07 was the first year with "games". 08, the year I think everyone compares websites to, was the first year with multiple weekly updates.

One also has to remember that 08 was the last year we had a truly indepth back story to an Icon. Also, although 09's website was not as great as 08's, anyone who saw the model that was built of of the theater has to see that they really did put a ton of effort into it.

So if we go by 08 being one of the best years, I think they have done great. Trying to please the fans and give the info to the general public is a balancing act. 4 to 5 years of trying to learn the perfect balance really isn't a very long time. Especially since Ray usually didn't start working on the site until May or June when he would finally receive the info for that year's event.

Ray started doing the website in 2006. He's an awesome guy and very talented. Without his services this year, I expect the site to update similar or exactly like the hollywood site. Which probably means no clues no interactivity and just the basic site. However we have our "teaser" page and they do not... so I'm hoping its a little different. But I don't expect a overly elaborte backstory.... or any real link between the various houses

Let's not forget they did in the park tweet ups during the event. Which was pretty random at times. Perhaps we could see that come back and also maybe their app turn into legendary Truth app. To solve the truth of the house/scare-zone or maybe just the event. Just a idea but I kind of dig it.

Ray started doing the website in 2006. He's an awesome guy and very talented. Without his services this year, I expect the site to update similar or exactly like the hollywood site. Which probably means no clues no interactivity and just the basic site. However we have our "teaser" page and they do not... so I'm hoping its a little different. But I don't expect a overly elaborte backstory.... or any real link between the various houses

Thanks, Jeramy. Knowing he only started in 06 helps. It amazes me how great he's done in only 5 years, trying to create a site for fans and the general public. He's done an awesome job.

• Like 3

I appreciate your concern, but whatever direction they go I'll be excited. Our only social media experience for HHN has been Legendary Truth so far though, so of course that is what is going to come to mind when Dr. Jimmy mentions social media.

Would you be more concerned if Dr Jimmy didn't mean a Lengendary Truth website but Facebook updates only? If not I envy you because I've never been so concerned about all the signs leading up to HHN in my life.

• Like 1

I think it's possible that the Thing could return this year. I've heard rumblings that it's possible so I connected it with one of the cryptic statements.

"19th century"

The codename for Hollywood's Thing house was "GV Black". He was a dentist from the 19th century who invented silver fillings. One of the victims in the Thing prequel had silver fillings.

Thought I would throw that out there.

I think it's possible that the Thing could return this year. I've heard rumblings that it's possible so I connected it with one of the cryptic statements.

"19th century"

The codename for Hollywood's Thing house was "GV Black". He was a dentist from the 19th century who invented silver fillings. One of the victims in the Thing prequel had silver fillings.

Thought I would throw that out there.

I would be fine with that house returning. It was one of my personal favorites last years IMO. Im still thinking that it will be some sort of Universals 100 year theme/ media theme though.

I wonder how an American Werewolf in London house would have been like, I guess the beginning would have been like the forest part of the Wolfman house? the movie has a lot of parts of dialogue where not much is happening, the werewolf scenes are small, so I wonder how they would translate that into the house,

If they some how nailed the transformation scene in some way it would be worth my entire trip...

• Like 1