HHN 21 Discussion

My gypsy (Shalisa), two of our daughters & I went on Saturday and despite the rain, we got to see every house and zone in addition to 3 rides (Mummy, Jaws & M.I.B.). We had a spectacular time. Kudos to all the actors for their efforts. I must say that 7 & Luck zones are (IMO) a waste of time & space. I'll have to do The In Between again after dark to pass judgement on it. But I felt all the remaining houses were top notch. I'm a little disappointed that the zones have less "spectator" space than usual as sitting and taking in the crowds in a zone is really one of the things I enjoy. I'll also go on record to say that this year's advertising & "icon" were a complete joke (again IMO). Really looking forward to this coming Friday when we'll be there again...

about 7 and luck zone, I don't know i still say we got kind of lucky we have anything at al. in 2007 we only have like 2 scarezones, near the end of the event they added a kinda halfassed zone with clowns.

yeah the zones suck, but i guess is better than nothing :/

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some pictures Jenn and I took over opening weekend.

6181548553_dc21a1f009_b.jpg

rm7.static.flickr.com/6172/6182071922_e85fd90e14_b.jpg

I realized saturday that these red lights look 3D with the glasses, Specially the ones in the Men In Black Ride, they stand out a little, I think the glasses react to any red lights, i put my glasses to look at these and, not much, but, it was kinda cool

(i really don't know if this has been mentioned, sorry)

Edited by black mask

Last year there was a photo location near the bridge that links The Simpsons and Jaws where you could get your picture professionally taken with Jack. In years past, the same kiosk was located in The Boneyard.

Does anyone know if there is a similar photo booth location this year? If so, where? And who is the picture with -- Lady Luck?

I just had a small question in regards to tickets and the "Scream Early" add-on. Would the IoA "SE" ticket, be applicable to the Rush of Fear pass? And is the fact I'm buying the both of the tickets/add-ons for a friend of mine as well as myself at the same time possibly a problem? I've never actually gone to HHN or bought tickets before, so I'm not sure.

In regards to the icon discussion, I believe Universal needs to do a better job at making a clear-cut icon. Either we have an icon in the past like the caretaker, director, jack, etc. OR the event is just based on a "theme" (not to be confused with icon) overall. I say this because the recent years, they seem to be dancing in this fine line between. The general public is led to believe there is an icon via the billboards and commercials. However, during the actual event these icons are almost non-existent. Bad move IMO. I'm hoping next year they forego having the same character in the advertisements and what not and just go with a particular theme in general. BC clearly they are fading out having an "icon" (person you see in commercials, all over the event, and even a dedicated house). Just my 2 cents.

well, I have been thinking about why the scarezones feel like they kinda suck and honestly the one reason i see is the lack of props, 7 your luck has run out and nightmaze, plus canyon, dont have much of anything, the actors are there and they are doing a good job

but

why didn't uni just reuse props from years past? they could have put the big Cards that were used for the Alice in wonderland scarezone in the park this year, i mean, they didn't use those right?

Im just wondering why not try to re use props and decorations from the past this year? 7 is a good concept but feels so empty, i know i said im glad we have something instead of nothing

but i wonder why didn't they decorate the streets better, actually most of the park has not decorations really. Also we were More than Spoiled last year as far as scarezones go, so I could see why some people hate the scarezones and are being so harsh, because last year were some of the best scarezones I've personally have seen.

just wondering

However, during the actual event these icons are almost non-existent. Bad move IMO.

She has her own scarezone, where there's like six of her. Apart from having her own house, her presence is everywhere in the event, including the event audio. I'm not sure what you remember about The Caretaker, DIrector, Jack, ect. But it's not like we had them roaming the streets and having a house, and doing a show and being everywhere doing everything. They got either a house or zone, and a respected opening scareamony/daily show. I think they marketed her well, fleshed out her backstory and pretty much connected all the houses to the simple theme of making a choice and trying their luck from there. If you were talking about FEAR, I'd understand a bit more, but not with Lady Luck.

I'm not sure what more you would want. wink.gif

I realized saturday that these red lights look 3D with the glasses, Specially the ones in the Men In Black Ride, they stand out a little, I think the glasses react to any red lights, i put my glasses to look at these and, not much, but, it was kinda cool

(i really don't know if this has been mentioned, sorry)

I apologise if this has been mentioned but you also get a 3D effect when looking through the In Between glasses at the back of the houses t-shirt.

When I went to HHN13 I remember The Director being in the commercial, having audio, having a side show and having a house. That pretty much got you into knowing the icon surrounded the event and not the other way around. Sure Lady Luck has a small scare-zone but I feel if she's a "Icon" than maybe she should have had something along the lines of what Fear had. A bigger scale of a scare-zone. With BM it all made so much sense in the connection of the scare-zones to the houses to the website. This I feel it's bits and pieces and the rest is mainly just filler.

She has her own scarezone, where there's like six of her. Apart from having her own house, her presence is everywhere in the event, including the event audio. I'm not sure what you remember about The Caretaker, DIrector, Jack, ect. But it's not like we had them roaming the streets and having a house, and doing a show and being everywhere doing everything. They got either a house or zone, and a respected opening scareamony/daily show. I think they marketed her well, fleshed out her backstory and pretty much connected all the houses to the simple theme of making a choice and trying their luck from there. If you were talking about FEAR, I'd understand a bit more, but not with Lady Luck.

I'm not sure what more you would want. wink.gif

I still stand by my statement. I didn't say she wasn't present, just not near as omnipresent as the MAJOR icon's on the past. For us, yes she certainly has a backstory and theme, but I just feel this isn't nearly as iconic as many of the past icons. I believe many people just see her as another female scareactor. The roles that the caretaker, director, bloody mary, and jack were so much more overbearing. I'm not saying Lady Luck is on the level of FEAR, but she's pretty darn close to that and many other forgotten icons in the past (to the GP of course, not us fans) like Eddie or the Storyteller. Nothing about Lady Luck really stands out to me and I think many could agree.

I still stand by my statement. I didn't say she wasn't present, just not near as omnipresent as the MAJOR icon's on the past. For us, yes she certainly has a backstory and theme, but I just feel this isn't nearly as iconic as many of the past icons. I believe many people just see her as another female scareactor. The roles that the caretaker, director, bloody mary, and jack were so much more overbearing. I'm not saying Lady Luck is on the level of FEAR, but she's pretty darn close to that and many other forgotten icons in the past (to the GP of course, not us fans) like Eddie or the Storyteller. Nothing about Lady Luck really stands out to me and I think many could agree.

Yeah, Luck's a bust. She has one tiny scare zone that has almost nothing to do with gambling or her backstory. She gets a laugh every once in a while in the audio. There's no photo op. No house. No appearances anywhere else in the park besides the half-assed front gate video. She never once addresses us vocally (something even FEAR was able to pull off). She's very weak as far as icons go.

Hey guys quick question. When is the week thats considered to be Hell week with the most crowds? Cus I'm going again on the 8th and was wondering how crowds should be on that weekend. Thanks!

Shouldn't be that bad. I believe Hell Week starts on the 14/15. But even then you can get everything done. I do know a trip is going to be there on the 15th, so expect a group of kids that night. Shouldn't be too big of a deal though.

As much as i hate to say it i gotta agree. I was really hoping for more depth to the icon this year. I didn't think that Fear last year was fleshed out anywhere near enough but compared to Lady Luck he's got a background as long as my arm and i never thought i'd say that. I really wish Universal would go back to the type of three dimensional icons of the past like Bloody Mary, Caretaker and Jack etc instead of the shallow two dimensional icons of the last two years. I've said before that Lady Luck reminds me of a movie without a plot.....dull. I mean they couldn't even be bothered to give this years event a proper title. I don't understand this.

After saying all that i'm sure it will have little effect on how much i enjoy the event this year. Universal do a fantastic job putting this event together and all the houses look fantastic this year. It's just a pity that they didn't bother putting the cherry on top of the cake with an interesting icon.

Shouldn't be that bad. I believe Hell Week starts on the 14/15. But even then you can get everything done. I do know a trip is going to be there on the 15th, so expect a group of kids that night. Shouldn't be too big of a deal though.

Is 14/15 hell week or the following week?

The easiest way to tell when the park will *probably* be most crowded is by looking at the prices for the express pass (imo). The nights with the priciest express passes are Oct. 15th and the 22nd (the rest of the nights can be seen here . So if you're going on either of those days... good luck. lol

Edited by MahB

I do admit that the shows for both CoC and 16 brought a more cohesive piece to the event, but having an introduction show isn't a necessity. I feel just fine with a scarezone with the Lady in it and I feel the idea behind her character fulfills its role for the event like Fear (someone in the shadows manipulating events). Plus, which house would you be willing to give up for her? =P

^Oh great D: And if I go, it's highly unlikely that I'll get an express pass because of money. Although I would be going for two nights...

Work efficiently. Be there at opening and hit 3 houses in the first hour, finish 5 or 6 by the second. You'll be able to hit everything if you don't squander time - save the scare zones, rides, and shows for the heat of the crowds later in the night. Hit houses at opening and closing and whenever short lines allow for an opening.