HHN XXI Speculation II

Regarding the Icon I kinda think it's important.

I've been going since 2004 (with the exception of 2006) and live in Upstate NY. We went the first year because a friend's fiance saw HHN on a Travel Channel special and bought him a ticket thinking he'd love it. So the fact that there was no Icon that year didn't affect us as we didn't see any commercials or follow the website or anything.

Now, having gone for years and visiting sites like this and playing all the games on the site, I think Icons are important. They don't need to tie the whole thing together or be a HUGE part of the event, but you need SOMETHING from all the advertising to be present. You need to be able to see and "touch" something from all the advertising. It doesn't have to be a person, it can be a house or a theme, or something.

Think of the movie The Expendables. I loved the movie, but was surprised when I saw it and Arnold Schwarzennegger and Bruce Willis made up like 20% of the trailer and 60% of the 15sec TV spots, yet had a whopping 2 minutes of screen time in the movie. I felt mislead and letdown.

I think Average Joe Public NEEDS to be able to see something from the advertising. I think they need to be able to get their picture taken with an Icon. Stuff like that grounds all the leadup in reality and makes you feel more like part of the event.

Silly and not much along the lines of speculation, but felt the need to put in my $0.02

EDIT: I really should proof what I type before hitting Submit....fixed some stupid typos.

Edited by Oysterhead00

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was just posted on the HHN21 twitter:

"You’ve been begging for an inside look at the houses you’ll face at HHN21. Congrats, today you're all big winners."

http://twitpic.com/64kgcm

Super high resolution version: http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/370469830.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1313103779&Signature=AiXQPAR%2FytKTM2qRYT98pAtN1ZM%3D

Looks like a pirate ship to me. I can see the mast, as well as ropes for the sails.

This is interesting because if that's what it is, it gives credibility to the rumor of the "pirate house".

Psst! Avast there! It be too late to alter course, mateys. And there be plundering pirates lurkin' in ev'ry cove, waitin' to board. Sit closer together and keep your ruddy hands in board. That be the best way to repel boarders. And mark well me words, mateys: Dead men tell no tales! Ye come seekin' adventure with salty old pirates, eh? Sure you've come to the proper place. But keep a weather eye open mates, and hold on tight. With both hands, if you please. Thar be squalls ahead, and Davy Jones waiting for them what don't obey.

I think it's Saws n' Steam, actually. ignoring the ropes, the background looks like it could be pipes... and the card for the Saws n' Steam game is also red. Also, excluding the glowing eyes, the corpse looks more dehydrated than anything.

Unless, of course, the card is actually orange... it's hard to tell. It's probably either the pirate house or Saws n Steam.

Edited by Dinosaur Pirate

Pirates to me...One eyed willy is back!! lol jk but yeah it looks cool. and for the icon, i would love to have lady luck because we havent had a female Icon since 05. Granted I feel Cindy should have her year. and as many of you stated, an icon works from a PR and Marketing standpoint.

Psst! Avast there! It be too late to alter course, mateys. And there be plundering pirates lurkin' in ev'ry cove, waitin' to board. Sit closer together and keep your ruddy hands in board. That be the best way to repel boarders. And mark well me words, mateys: Dead men tell no tales! Ye come seekin' adventure with salty old pirates, eh? Sure you've come to the proper place. But keep a weather eye open mates, and hold on tight. With both hands, if you please. Thar be squalls ahead, and Davy Jones waiting for them what don't obey.

We wants the redhead, we wants the redhead!

Honestly the tone I got off the picture is more of a ghostly feel than demonic. They're already doing demons in another house from the look of it, they're not going to overlap with the pirate (Maybe not even a pirate ship? Just more of a ship full of ghosts jealous of the living?) ship house.

I think it's Saws n' Steam, actually. ignoring the ropes, the background looks like it could be pipes... and the card for the Saws n' Steam game is also red. Also, excluding the glowing eyes, the corpse looks more dehydrated than anything.

Unless, of course, the card is actually orange... it's hard to tell. It's probably either the pirate house or Saws n Steam.

I think ignoring the ropes would be a bad thing to do. Those ropes look a whole lot like rigging. And there's tattered sheets up top, which could serve for sails.

Edited by Circ

Pirates to me...One eyed willy is back!! lol jk but yeah it looks cool. and for the icon, i would love to have lady luck because we havent had a female Icon since 05. Granted I feel Cindy should have her year. and as many of you stated, an icon works from a PR and Marketing standpoint.

Um... Bloody Mary?

I still find it odd that they're only using spades, which represents war or luck. They chose to have the Ace of Spades and Queen of Spades, not the jack to make it black jack. Ace of spades has a war connotation to it and Queen of spades supposedly represents Athena, greek goddess of war.