HHN XXI Auditions

But not everyone was getting cast.

They also asked our group if anyone spoke semi-fluent Spanish (not just a few words here or there) and, unlike another group, we weren't asked anything else. They wanted only our role last year and didn't ask for name and another group was told to answer in 1 word with their previous role.

I, too, like the smoothness of the way it is done now. I also think that new people miss out on the "right of passage" you go through of waiting in line for hours in the heat and/or rain to get your number and then going inside to the large room with everyone else to fill out your paperwork and wait.

Edited by Tman875

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But not everyone was getting cast.

They also asked our group if anyone spoke semi-fluent Spanish (not just a few words here or there) and, unlike another group, we weren't asked anything else. They wanted only our role last year and didn't ask for name and another group was told to answer in 1 word with their previous role.

I, too, like the smoothness of the way it is done now. I also think that new people miss out on the "right of passage" you go through of waiting in line for hours in the heat and/or rain to get your number and then going inside to the large room with everyone else to fill out your paperwork and wait.

Reminds me of processing with the USAF.

I decided that since all auditions are on Tuesdays, I'll have to miss class regardless....and an 8:50 PM time opened up for the 12th :D.

A little bit nervous, but I think I'll do fine.

Another dumb question: I'm 20 years old, kinda skinny and wiry...and I have a mustache. Should I kill the 'stache, or will it even matter?

Reminds me of processing with the USAF.

I decided that since all auditions are on Tuesdays, I'll have to miss class regardless....and an 8:50 PM time opened up for the 12th :D.

A little bit nervous, but I think I'll do fine.

Another dumb question: I'm 20 years old, kinda skinny and wiry...and I have a mustache. Should I kill the 'stache, or will it even matter?

I'm the same way, skinny and whatnot. I would say It really doesn't matter, because they just body-cast you, but I shaved before. You see people with everything out there, so I don't think the show directors will fret too much over a mustache

Edited by e z_e

Facial hair doesn't matter going into auditions. If you have a role that will require a clean-shaven look, they will tell you that when you recieve your role.

Evidently, they started letting fewer and fewer people through as the night went on... especially on the Active Back-Up side. I highly suggest new auditioners have full availability to make yourselves as desirable as possible.

I limited my availability to no Thurs or Sun and was still cast, then again, I auditioned around 7:00 (Appt. at 6). I have been ABU every year for 3 years running, not that I mind. I usually work 6-10 nights of the event anyway. I did notice a few "upset" individuals in the orientation room, I guess that was because they were not cast. In the end it is all about height, weight, build and maybe look (for face scareactors).

I did that last year, so at least I know what it's like. I was already mentally preparing myself for it, but then they changed it to audition times and now I'm not entirely sure what to do with my time. laugh.gif

I'm glad the theme parks are next door. I'll probably just stay there all day until my audition time, which is better than last year where I sat in front of Human Resources and stared at IoA wishing i could be there instead of waiting.

If you are coming from Sand Lake Road with I Drive behind you, turn right onto Turkey Lake Road. It'll be on your right about two miles down. I-4 West bound take the Universal exit (65 I believe, after the Kirkman exit) then make a left at the light. Then right onto Turkey Lake. It's right across the street from a Shell station and Papa John's.

If you are coming from Sand Lake Road with I Drive behind you, turn right onto Turkey Lake Road. It'll be on your right about two miles down. I-4 West bound take the Universal exit (65 I believe, after the Kirkman exit) then make a left at the light. Then right onto Turkey Lake. It's right across the street from a Shell station and Papa John's.

Once you turn at the light you will drive to the stop sign after the cross walk and the turn left into the parking lot. There is a row of Applicant Parking that you can park in. If those are all full you will have to drive around until you find an empty spot.

If you are driving South on Kirkman, you will go across Conroy and over the bridge and the next light is Vineland. You will make a Right onto Vineland Road (there is a Walgreens on 1 corner, a Chevron on 1 and a Mobil on the other). You will go through 3 lights and then approximately 1/4 mile you will get into the left turn lane (the only one after you go through the 3rd light unless the new apt complex has added more lights or turning lanes) and ahead is the employee parking lot.

Edited by Tman875

To add to all of this, plan on leaving 15-20 minutes earlier than you normally would. The TM parking lot at Universal is always jam packed. It could take you a very long time to find parking.

The removal of the overflow lot was a dick move.

We found that out the hard way last year when there were literally no spots so they had to have people park the the gated parking close to Gate 2. That, and people had to park in the outlying parking lots.

With the way they are doing auditions this year, you will be more likely to park in the Applicant Parking. I did when I went last night and there were a few to spare. With that being said, still make sure you give yourself ample time to get there and park.

Edited by Tman875

We found that out the hard way last year when there were literally no spots so they had to have people park the the gated parking close to Gate 2. That, and people had to park in the outlying parking lots.

With the way they are doing auditions this year, you will be more likely to park in the Applicant Parking. I did when I went last night and there were a few to spare. With that being said, still make sure you give yourself ample time to get there and park.

Thank you for the tips guys!

Unless I'm mistaken, I think this is it. Should show you exactly where it is in relation to the parks.

Personally since I'm likely to be going to the parks anyway, might just park in the garages and then just walk around the [large] block to HR, similar to what I did last year.

That is exactly the building you will be going to.

Unless I'm mistaken, I think this is it. Should show you exactly where it is in relation to the parks.

Personally since I'm likely to be going to the parks anyway, might just park in the garages and then just walk around the [large] block to HR, similar to what I did last year.

Good idea! I most likely will be doing that too. Hopefully I won't get lost trying to find my way over there

I guess a few people were called back in the room and asked if they would mind shaving their facial hair for a role. It wasn't anyone in my group, but a few groups before.

As much as I love my mustache, I wouldn't mind shaving it. It grows so slowly that I probably wouldn't have to shave but once throughout the month, and then just let it start growing back halfway through :P. That is, if they requested it.

Oh, wow, it's on Turkey Lake? This means I may be able to stay off of the interstate :D. Well, at least on the way back, I'm not going to slow myself down heading TO the audition.

To add to all of this, plan on leaving 15-20 minutes earlier than you normally would. The TM parking lot at Universal is always jam packed. It could take you a very long time to find parking.

Hmm...it was established earlier that there's motorcycle specific parking in this particular lot, right? Does anyone know how badly it fills up, or if I should be golden finding a spot? My audition is at 8:50 PM anyhow, so even if motorcycle parking is filled up, I doubt that I'll have any issues finding a spot.

Hmm...it was established earlier that there's motorcycle specific parking in this particular lot, right? Does anyone know how badly it fills up, or if I should be golden finding a spot? My audition is at 8:50 PM anyhow, so even if motorcycle parking is filled up, I doubt that I'll have any issues finding a spot.

With your audition being that late, I would guess that you should have no issues finding a motorcycle spot at that time.

Just to be safe, I would still give yourself extra time to be sure.

for scare actors what body do they look for? skinny? im shorrt but skinny so idk, what did they make you do?

I limited my availability to no Thurs or Sun and was still cast, then again, I auditioned around 7:00 (Appt. at 6). I have been ABU every year for 3 years running, not that I mind. I usually work 6-10 nights of the event anyway. I did notice a few "upset" individuals in the orientation room, I guess that was because they were not cast. In the end it is all about height, weight, build and maybe look (for face scareactors).

what body do they look for?

for scare actors what body do they look for? skinny? im shorrt but skinny so idk, what did they make you do?

Everybody!!!

JK. In all seriousness, no one knows but them. The directors know the character and know the body types needed. People say, I'm so cute I can't be scary, or I'm to fat/skinny/tall/short. Wrong.

They want/need everyone. They may have roles for 7' 300lb people as well as 3' 60lb people, along with everything in-between.

Since they'll have a picture of you before you enter the room, they'll generally already have you casted for something and or nothing at all. At that point, they wanna see you face to face and see you can interact. That simple.

Everybody!!!

JK. In all seriousness, no one knows but them. The directors know the character and know the body types needed. People say, I'm so cute I can't be scary, or I'm to fat/skinny/tall/short. Wrong.

They want/need everyone. They may have roles for 7' 300lb people as well as 3' 60lb people, along with everything in-between.

Since they'll have a picture of you before you enter the room, they'll generally already have you casted for something and or nothing at all. At that point, they wanna see you face to face and see you can interact. That simple.

Might this picture be a head shot or a full body shot? (I'm assuming full body shot so they can see everything)